Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptkeane1993

Ole is building a team to challenge in England and in Europe in a few years and to dominate both like in the past. He needs players who want to be here for the long term, hence the age and profile of players we're getting. A buy-back clause is a non-starter - it's not about pride or money that can be made, it's the vision that Ole and the club are currently working towards.

Reactions: Sultan

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Absolutely bang on from the club to have pulled out of this. Some of our fans just want to see a signing and at any cost, it would make no sense whatsoever for us to do the deal with a buy back clause.
Small time from spurs to have agreed to it (if true) and demonstrates exactly where they feature in the pecking order.
Most of the muppets demanding we sign him didn't even realise he played agisnt us for Seville in Europa semi final (I couldn't remember him!). And LB has was not a strategic investment area at end of last season. We have good full backs and plenty of quality youth players in reserve. So missing out on a Madrid reject who doesn't want to be at our club long term is no big deal at all.

I wonder if the 'new signing muppets' are also the same brigade who demand we play academy home-grown youth players. Basically want a new 1st XI every season :lol:

Now I wish Woodward would just complete the Sancho signing so we can stop all the moaning, and look forward to next season.

KennyBurner

Good job we didn’t give in to a buyback clause. Very stupid of us to accept such a silly clause.

0le

Given that logic...
Which one of our players doesn't want to play for Real Madrid?

Do you think Luke Shaw doesn't want to play there?
But Luke Shaw doesn't have a buy back clause so even if he did want to play there, it would be far more difficult for him to move there and we could also we would decide when he leaves rather than the buying club.

UpWithRivers

Hah, so it will only cost between 5 - 10 million Euros to buy him back? So from what I can find online he's on around £‭36,538 per week, so the next two years of wages would have cost Madrid around £3,799,952 - which in Euros is € 4,133,707. So if Madrid manage to sign him back for €35m then they will only have spent around 900k for two years of development (and that's assuming that he wouldn't have signed a better contract in the mean time) :lol:
I guess they can put that 30 million a savings account and make up the 900k. Not sure of the interest rates but 2 percent is what? 1.2 mill? so 300k profit. :)

If this is true then what a deal by RM. Why cant we ever do deals like this? Henderson would be a good one. Also Williams, James, Dalot. A few of the young kids. Loads

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Ole is building a team to challenge in England and in Europe in a few years and to dominate both like in the past. He needs players who want to be here for the long term, hence the age and profile of players we're getting. A buy-back clause is a non-starter - it's not about pride or money that can be made, it's the vision that Ole and the club are currently working towards.
I support this position but he is not being supported by the board by the lack of investment. We are running out of time , same as the last 7 years.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He has always been a fraud.

He is a 29 year old who is a twitter muppet.

Why would he have any sources?

At least, di Marzio knows all the agents in Italian football.
Half right. He's works for Di Marzio. But you're right on him not having a clue about our plans or deals.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Because most players in football support a club. He’s Spanish and has no affiliation to England. Would you only want to sign players that support United? Or how about never signing Ronaldo because his dream was to play for Real Madrid? Some fans need to get a grip that United aren’t the greatest club in world football to most players anymore.
We never were. It’s a myth perpetuated by those fans with red tinted specs.
SAF’s greatest strength in the transfer market was to identify quality footballers who wanted to be here whether they were foreign or British. We couldn’t convince the likes of Batistuta,Boban, Desailly and were linked with Del Piero but he did get Veron, RVN among others. You need a good coach and a great negotiator to get world class players to buy into your project. The name itself won’t always buy you that

jasT1981

I'm confused by this buy back clause talk. Is it an automatic trigger and we have to sell, or is it giving them first option if we decide to sell in the future?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Completely agree with the club on this one. Why should we buy player who clearly dreams only of Madrid and doesn't really want to leave?
He's going to have a couple of great seasons for Spurs i bet and then Madrid will be like "Thanks for developing our player, we'll take him back now... see ya!"

Had enough of this I dream of Madrid crap with Ronaldo!!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Are you serious? Romano has been more reliable than absolutely any other journalist out there.
No he hasn't. Name one exclusive he's had on any PL transfer this summer.

He didn't know about Donny. He didn't know about Sancho's extra year added. He said we had agreed terms in June which was debunked.

You gullible lot just lap up his nonsense. He's not had any exclusives from what I can see when it comes to PL moves. He just jumps on the bandwagon.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I'm confused by this buy back clause talk. Is it an automatic trigger and we have to sell, or is it giving them first option if we decide to sell in the future?
Buy-back is if they offer the amount and the player is happy to leave we have to sell. It’s obvious the player would want to go back to Madrid at any stage so we should steer clear. First refusal is if we ever receive a bid for him Madrid can match it.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It'd be an automatic trigger. If Real Madrid offer the amount in the clause, the club have to accept it or risk violating a contract term.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Sport Witness reporting that as per AS, the buyback clause will be as low as 35-40M. So basically buying him back for 5-10M. No way we were ever going to accept it then.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So he’s either average and spurs keep him or he’s good and they make a 5-10m profit.. It’s not worth it in the long term

Rolaholic

First refusal clauses and buy backs are different.

Buy backs are basically like a sexy/fancy loan in the sense that the original selling club will be able to swoop in at any of the predetermined time attached to the clause to buy the player back for a predetermined fee and the club with the player won't have the positbility to do anything to prevent it unless the player himself refuses to go back.

First refusal right is the right of an original selling club to potentially refuse another clubs offer, for a player not under their ownership anymore, if they plan on bringing back that player themselves. The club that has the player presently can still refuse to sell to the original selling club though which is the main difference between the 2

Mark Pawelek

No he hasn't. Name one exclusive he's had on any PL transfer this summer.

He didn't know about Donny. He didn't know about Sancho's extra year added. He said we had agreed terms in June which was debunked.

You gullible lot just lap up his nonsense. He's not had any exclusives from what I can see when it comes to PL moves. He just jumps on the bandwagon.
The measure of reliability is how often one does not lie or make it up. Not how often one breaks a news story.

Considering, most sports journalism is repeating or making up speculation - simply avoiding speculation makes a journalist very reliable.

Adamsk7

Spurs might as well just loan him for £5m for 2 seasons. There will literally be no difference. Perhaps Levy and Mourinho are hoping he’ll love Spurs so much he’ll stay. They better hope he hasn’t already watched that documentary then......

cj_sparky

Sport Witness reporting that as per AS, the buyback clause will be as low as 35-40M. So basically buying him back for 5-10M. No way we were ever going to accept it then.
Like when Real sold Almeria Negredo for £2.5m, with a buy back of £5m. Then paid the clause and sold him straight to Sevilla for £15m.

If we couldn't get him with the clause it is pointless.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I mean if they have the money to spend this summer wonder why they wasted it on Holjberg. Even if it’s only 15m they could have added another attacker. They are starving for goals.

izec

What a turnaround. From hoping he would join without a buy back to this now. feck me, this window is brutal for us

Rolaholic

Didn't think they'd be so insistent on a buyback after letting Hakimi go without one at a position they were less stocked in but they must still have plans for him in the future I assume maybe after Marcelo retires.

The fact that he's also a Spaniard might have something to do with it

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I don’t get why people are mad at Reguilon. It’s exactly the quality we look for in a player coming to United - to want to play for the club. He wants to play for the club - it’s just not United. So we shouldn’t be knocking him for that.

Sea-Cow

Absolute nonsense.

We shouldn't touch this transfer with their insistence on a buyback.
I mean I think our tune will change if Luke Shaw gets hurt and we have to rely on Brandon Williams every week.

lex talionis

LB was never a top priority for us anyway but the hysteria over the buyback clause should not have been the barrier between us getting the player we presumably wanted for the next 2-3 seasons. Real are stacked at left back for the foreseeable future and it's highly unlikely that they would have been desperate to bring Reguilon back. We could have set the terms under which the buyback must have been exercised. And we could have set a sellback clause so that, should Reguilon have turned out to be the next Darmian then we force Real to buy him back at a pre-determined price.

But if Spurs are willing to give in to all of Real's demands, then that's that. We have greater needs at RW and DM, which I hope we're still on track to address (but am prepared to accept the reality that we've fekked that up too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.