Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinNombre

And they lost him to Madrid not long after against the players wishes and it didnt matter, he had to go. That was the same summer Pogba wanted a move and the heart was ripped out of that club in one transfer window.
Id maybe understand if we were short in that area but feck me we arent. Not to the extent we get bent over like this.
Excellent post.

This will be lost in the standard whinging in here by the muppets.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Am I sad ? Yes, but not that worried . There are plenty of other options to be considered at LB.

Telles please

tomaldinho1

If that's accurate I'm glad we're staying away - the only way it's viable is if you can get the buyback to nearer £50m (pretty standard for a full back these days) which means you're compensated for essentially developing one of their players.

Would love for us to make a breakthrough though!

0le

Exactly. People getting worried about something that could occur 3 seasons away. If Real wanted him back it meant we get a decent amount of money and he's probably played well for 3 years too. Get over the clause.
This sounds exactly like the Glazers and thinking purely about profit. A realistic scenario is that he takes a bit of time to get settled and once he settles he produces some good form and then Madrid come back and purchase him. We then once again have to go and find a left back. This sort of short term thinking is Mourinho-esque.

Any Latin/Spanish player would feel the same. Herrera or De Gea may have wanted the same but they loved the experience enough to stay or want to stay. We're the ones that missed out on an opportunity to integrate a good player into our club.
Your comments about De Gea don't make any sense. He flirted with Madrid for a few years and basically nearly joined them. He would have loved to join Madrid and didn't desperately want to stay. Herrera was never good enough to join Madrid so of course they were never in for him.

We didn't believe in ourselves enough to have a player that could leave if he wanted to. Says it all about our ambitions.
No, we didn't manage to buy a player because he does not fit our long term strategy with the type of deal that was offered.

SinNombre

Are you serious? Romano has been more reliable than absolutely any other journalist out there.
Since he jumps on stories that others break and tries to pass as his own, and backtracks on the ones that he fails on.

Easy to give an impression that he is in the know.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
"Club or our prestige".

Fecking nonsense. We're a yoyo CL top 6 club these days, nothing more.

Swallow your pride and buy a quality fecking left back. Best case scenario, we have a great LB for 2 years and still have Shaw. Worst case is he's shit and moved on anyway.

This club, I swear to Christ....

dev1l

Brilliant deal for Madrid....

If SR is a hit,they ll fork out 10m euros on top of what Spurs paid within 2 years and thank Spurs for making him a better player

If SR is a flop, Madrid can "enjoy" their 30m euros.

Not to mention that within 2 years, transfer fees rwill most probably go up, making Madrid s deal even more worth it.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He has always been a fraud.

He is a 29 year old who is a twitter muppet.

Why would he have any sources?

At least, di Marzio knows all the agents in Italian football.
I've no doubt Romano has sources for Italian moves, but he's taken a bit of a hit this window for EPL deals. Ornstein is the best in England IMO. Out of the blue just says it as it is and more often than not it happens. One of the first back in July ish time to say Havertz to Chelsea was close, and going to happen. Chilwell he said was almost done when no one had even reported bids at that stage. And he was right on both. Reguilon he seems right on, when everyone else assumed Utd

Romano said yesterday Mendy has already signed for us, we havent even agreed a deal with Rennes yet according to the top French media. Bouhafsi and that lot, it's "close" and thats it right now. He definitely hasnt signed, and certainly had not when Romano claimed he had.

Romano is actually not far off 50 yrs old btw, not 29, unless it was a joke haha

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I spent some time watching his highlights and I think the sole thing he offers is being left footed. Wouldn't mind missing out on him, wouldn't mind if we got him.

Josep Dowling

So are Juventus. They signed Morata on identical terms and got to a CL final with him.

We need to get over ourselves a bit. We’re massive, no denying, but we haven’t been at the very top from a pure footballing perspective for a while. Unless we’re going to sign an alternative of similar quality, this is an opportunity lost.
Exactly. Fans need to realise we aren’t an elite club on the pitch and haven’t been for years. We have struggled to qualify for the Champions League since Fergie left and now not signing him has strengthened a top 4 rival.

Once Shaw gets his usual injury we are weak in that area.

DevilRed

No chance we should accept a buy back clause.

Especially not with madrid. We aren’t a feeder club.

If we didn’t agree one for Haaland then no chance we would do it for Sergio.

mu4c_20le

If the buyback is just 35-40M for a 30M buy then no point getting him.
Yeah it's basically a glorified loan for 2 years, kinda like what Arsenal did with Ceballos. Like someone said, Spurs are taking a risk without reaping the benefits as he will leave in two years, or he flops and money goes down the drain. The problem is that he is a young player who will undoubtedly make a lot of mistakes, he needs to be developed.

cyberman

I guess that’s where we disagree most, then. Our starting LB (who I do rate in terms of actual ability) has managed 25+ PL matches 1 time in the 6 seasons he’s been here. I don’t rate his back-up at all.
Heres the thing, nobody seems to rate Ragulion defensive ability at all from what I see. Its all about going forward. He seems very raw to me. Thats why we seem to balk at the fee and the clause. That only makes sense if we see him as a project.
He may well be a great LB, but I dont think we will ever know now. Jose will spend the entire game telling him to get back, be aware etc to the point he is a scape goat and Madrid buy him back to get him out of there.
We may not see him till Chrismas under Jose

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Somebody asked him earlier 'to Spurs' and he replied 'Man Utd'. Its been posted on this thread already.

He's back tracking a lot now. He's a fraud when it comes to United news and PL news. He needs to stick to what he knows. Serie A
Your obsession with 'outing' the bloke really is bananas. Fraud. :lol:

Delano

Since he jumps on stories that others break and tries to pass as his own, and backtracks on the ones that he fails on.

Easy to give an impression that he is in the know.
What I've come to realise more and more is that Romano is basically Di Marzios mouth piece for European transfers. Hence why he tags him in most posts.

Ornstein is as credible as it gets so Romano has no choice but to back track on this one.

SinNombre

What I've come to realise more and more is that Romano is basically Di Marzios mouth piece for European transfers. Hence why he tags him in most posts.

Ornstein is as credible as it gets so Romano has bo choice but to back track on this one.
Ornstein has very strong ins at all the 3 big London clubs, especially Arsenal.

You are likely right on the rest.

Amarsdd

Because they have learned nothing about signing players that don't really want to be here. They'd probably be mad if PSG offered di Maria to us and we turned it down.
Pretty much. I think I saw someone here say United are disgrace for this.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
What people who are slating Romano is conveniently ignoring is that till like 3 hours ago, every source close to Madrid were saying Manutd is close. Things change in football.

NoMidfielders

Out of curiosity, who are these top journos? I'd like to look this up for myself.
Ornstein said a week ago we believe we're being used to entice a bid by Spurs for Reguilon, Ducker put out an article weeks ago saying we want a winger, midfielder and centre back. Not sure if Stone has said anything about a left back this summer.

Amarsdd

What people who are slating Romano is conveniently ignoring is that till like 3 hours ago, every source close to Madrid were saying Manutd is close. Things change in football.
People have to moan and blame someone either it be United or Romano or a kid walking down the street for deals not happening.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If the rumours are to be believed, we are by definition his stepping-stone club.

How does that fit into what we're trying to build in the dressing room?

I don't care how much worse at football he is, I'd rather Williams over that every week.

croadyman

Ornstein said a week ago we believe we're being used to entice a bid by Spurs for Reguilon, Ducker put out an article weeks ago saying we want a winger, midfielder and centre back. Not sure if Stone has said anything about a left back this summer.
Worried about the lack of proper cover at LB if Shaw picks up an injury

MrSingh2002

This sounds exactly like the Glazers and thinking purely about profit. A realistic scenario is that he takes a bit of time to get settled and once he settles he produces some good form and then Madrid come back and purchase him. We then once again have to go and find a left back. This sort of short term thinking is Mourinho-esque.

Your comments about De Gea don't make any sense. He flirted with Madrid for a few years and basically nearly joined them. He would have loved to join Madrid and didn't desperately want to stay. Herrera was never good enough to join Madrid so of course they were never in for him.

No, we didn't manage to buy a player because he does not fit our long term strategy with the type of deal that was offered.
Given that logic...
Which one of our players doesn't want to play for Real Madrid?

Do you think Luke Shaw doesn't want to play there?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Excellent post.

This will be lost in the standard whinging in here by the muppets.
Exactly.

What people don't know is that Juventus had just reached the CL final the year prior and under good fortune meaning without losing their key players, they could have reinforced and pushed on from that point to try and keep challenging for the CL title. Unfortunately for them they lost Morata, Pogba was sold which set them back and haven't been close to challenging for the CL since then if I recall correctly.

Do people seriously want us to build a squad which reach a certain level than have it ripped by losing players due to buy back clauses and whatnot? People often just don't think rationally in these cases and just lash out(at the club) because they're furious their inner muppets weren't satisfied.

diarm

I mean, sure. That’s a totally fair response to hold. I definitely see the logic in it. But I just think there are times when you should swallow your pride a little for the short term for long term benefits.

In any case, also, if you’re happy with us pulling out of Reguilon, I‘d expect to see you then not complain at any point when Shaw’s out injured and Brandon Williams plays an extended period of football at LB.
Firstly, me being happy with us pulling out of Reguilon (dodgy turn of phrase), does not mean I don't want to see us sign a left back. I've been calling for that all year and were circumstances different, I'd have loved to see us sign Reguilon. Telles at €20m as rumoured would be a superb piece of business.

Secondly, I like Williams. I think he gets a tough ride on here sometimes but I accept, he is most likely better suited to right back.

Amarsdd

Jesus, Fab really is having a mare with us this summer :lol:
Why? He's not predicting a transfer, he's just reporting on a transfer. Just a couple of hours, most reliable media outlets in Madrid were reporting the same thing as Romano.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Absolutely bang on from the club to have pulled out of this. Some of our fans just want to see a signing and at any cost, it would make no sense whatsoever for us to do the deal with a buy back clause.

Small time from spurs to have agreed to it (if true) and demonstrates exactly where they feature in the pecking order.

BristolRuss

Hah, so it will only cost between 5 - 10 million Euros to buy him back? So from what I can find online he's on around £‭36,538 per week, so the next two years of wages would have cost Madrid around £3,799,952 - which in Euros is € 4,133,707. So if Madrid manage to sign him back for €35m then they will only have spent around 900k for two years of development (and that's assuming that he wouldn't have signed a better contract in the mean time) :lol:

Josep Dowling

If "succeeding at Real is his dream" why are we even contemplating bidding for this guy?
Because most players in football support a club. He’s Spanish and has no affiliation to England. Would you only want to sign players that support United? Or how about never signing Ronaldo because his dream was to play for Real Madrid? Some fans need to get a grip that United aren’t the greatest club in world football to most players anymore.

bdecuc

If the bloke is basically saying I want to use you as a stepping stone to some place better and he's so adamant about it to want it reflected in his contract then I'd say we should do without him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Absolutely bang on from the club to have pulled out of this. Some of our fans just want to see a signing and at any cost, it would make no sense whatsoever for us to do the deal with a buy back clause.

Small time from spurs to have agreed to it (if true) and demonstrates exactly where they feature in the pecking order.
Jose is in the desperation territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.