Sergio Reguilón

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How actually does the buy back option work? Can Real buy him back any time they want and do they just pay want we bought him for?
It wouldn’t be for the same amount we bought him, they could set it at something like £40m, then if they decided later down the line to trigger it we’d have no say in the matter as he’s effectively released from his contract with us.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Very good in attack from what I’ve seen but what’s he like defensively?
Looks reasonably decent. From what I've seen, not as good as either Shaw or Wan-Bissaka.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
How actually does the buy back option work? Can Real buy him back any time they want and do they just pay want we bought him for?
I presume it'd be a clause in his contract that they could trigger during any transfer window for a certain amount and we'd have to accept. That 'certain amount' would be specified in the deal where they sell him to us, probably something like £15m more than what we pay them in the first place. Reguilon himself would still have to agree to sign for them though so I guess the hope would be that he'd turn them down, but it'd be very risky to rely on a Spanish player turning down Real in that situation.

pablotatt

Sounds like he'd want to go back too which doesn't fit Ole's philosophy (or the Press' narrative regarding Ole's approach).

Alemar

I dont think Madrid will sell without a buy back clause.
they know Man Utd will not even discuss such a clause, it’s a no go from the start. As such, if they are willing to sell to us, it will be without any such clauses - or no deal

Mainoldo

You guys best not Darmian me again... If we get him he best be good.

Wayne's World

Any credible links with this? Not sure If the Spanish reporting it are reliable or not

Really liked the look of him during the Europa League knockout games

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
they know Man Utd will not even discuss such a clause, it’s a no go from the start. As such, if they are willing to sell to us, it will be without any such clauses - or no deal
Exactly

croadyman

Looks a player so lets hope they decide against inserting this clause

Mark Pawelek

That’s a fair point, he isn’t bounded for life to the left. But at the same time, he hasn’t yet shown any promise on the right, and given another who is of similar age HAS done - I see little justification for having Williams as back up right back over our actual young right back. Unless you want the 15 odd first team games that separate them to be held over their heads for ever.
You admit Williams barely played on the right for years but complain he showed no promist there? I admit Laird shows promise at RB, also that he was injured for much of last year. Hope Laird stays fit and takes his chances. I doubt either Laird, Williams or another will oust AWB because Wan-Bissaka is so efficient in defence.

I know you will, personally, like us to get another left back. Didn't you start a thread on just that? Can we both, at least, agree that Dalot's time here is has run out?

JJ12

Sounds like he'd want to go back too which doesn't fit Ole's philosophy (or the Press' narrative regarding Ole's approach).
Ahh really - what’s been said on that?

JJ12

Just woke up in Cali to all these rumors. What do we reckon lads, any truth to it or just a made up story?
Nobody reliable has had a nibble yet - still in the balance

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’d be very happy with this signing if it was to come off, don’t know how consistent he is but he’s has always been impressive for Sevilla that I’ve seen of them.

Jibbs

Awesome player. We should definitely buy him. As Mourinho said once on skysports, great teams build from three at the back and leave one of their full backs completely free to attack. We can do this with Reguilon in the side.

gza the genius

From the little I've seen of him he looks promising enough, especially going forward. It would definitely be nice to have someone to push Shaw on/replace him when he inevitably gets injured. Plus, it would give us some flexibility and allow Shaw to move to LCB if Ole decides he wants to use a back 5 for specific games. I think I'd rather see this than have us go for a center back.

I don't really think we should be giving up on Dalot quite yet but it seems like Ole has so if the fee really is only 20m I think we could recoup most of that by selling Dalot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You admit Williams barely played on the right for years but complain he showed no promist there? I admit Laird shows promise at RB, also that he was injured for much of last year. Hope Laird stays fit and takes his chances. I doubt either Laird, Williams or another will oust AWB because Wan-Bissaka is so efficient in defence.

I know you will, personally, like us to get another left back. Didn't you start a thread on just that? Can we both, at least, agree that Dalot's time here is has run out?
Yes, I admit that Williams has barely played on the right, which is why I saying he hasn’t shown promise. Just like he hasn’t shown promise as a goalkeeper. Laird has shown to be a promising right back, and has shown to be just that for years. He is separated from Williams by virtue of a few months of first team experience. I simply don’t see any justification for Williams being considered ahead of Laird as a RB. Laird can also play LB, but I wouldn’t begrudge Williams being ahead of him there, as he has at least played there with regularity.

Clearly, I’ve not considered Dalot as a serious option at either RB or LB, and given our reported need to sell to buy - I agree that he’s a prime candidate for an exit.

And indeed, I did start the original ‘search for a new LB’ thread as Shaw had been so unreliable. As it stands, I’m content with Shaw, he has his strengths and weaknesses, but he’s a very good left back. My issue is a combination of the fact that I think Williams is not very good, and that Shaw is injury prone. As a result, Williams’ ‘back up’ title is hugely misleading. Williams should be, currently, a ‘back up’ option in the way that Chong was a back up option last season. He should get to play the odd cup game, and be give cameos. Not a ‘squad player’ even in the way the likes of McTominay or Fred is, where they are not guaranteed starters but challengers for the first team. At present, if Shaw doesn’t play, Williams does. Regardless of the opposition or occasion. He’s nowhere near good enough for that status in my opinion, and given how frequently Shaw is injured, its big concern of mine. I could take an injury causing McTominay, Fred, Mata or Bailly to start in the Allianz or Bernabeu. Williams isn’t in that category for me. We shouldn’t have been one injury away from Chong starting a Cup Final last season, and we shouldn’t be in that position with Williams either.

Tarrou

I've only seen him in that one game but he looked absolute quality

If he's available on the cheap it could be a great bit of business

It seems unlikely that Real would let him go cheap, and he'd be okay with moving to be backup again though

Surely the best move for him is a smaller club and guaranteed first team football

Ace of Spades

I said he hasn’t shown any promise on the right. He’s been a left back. And Laird has always been better than Williams, and the fact that out of sheer circumstance, Williams got picked first and has played a few games in the first team doesn’t change the whole trajectory of their careers. Williams isn’t ‘seasoned’ or anything - the games Williams has over him could be caught up by December in similar circumstances.

Ultimately, my point is I don’t think the club should be making long-term plans to have the youth left back ahead of the youth right back, at right back, based on 6 months difference in when they got their start.
And yet he has shown promise on the right when he played there for the small amount that he played there, so you are wrong there. Laird being better than Williams in the past is irrelevant to the present, just because that has been the way in the past does not mean it will always remain the same. Your 'tragectory' is irrelevant and proven wrong when one is part of the first team set up and the other is not. Predicting how a player develops is next to impossible. Also, none among us know the circumstance that got Williams picked first, so better not to talk about things that we are not knowledgeable about. Never said Williams is seasoned, yet he has shown more than Laird has so far.

The club can decide to give the youth LB a chance ahead of the youth RB, if he has been available, stayed fit and think he is showing more in training and been more impressive than the youth RB. The fact that you think a right footed LB has to play on the left just because he did so in the academy is ridiculous. The first team is a completely different set up, what happened in the academy is irrelevant to right now. Laird needs to first get over his injuries and take the chance when it arrives, then we can talk about who get to play RB. The irony here is you are talking about how unproven Williams is at RB, when Laird is unproven entirely at 1st team level.

He hasn't proven himself at all, he's played some senior games, he looked very shaky in a number of them. That, to me, is not "proving himself" at all, if anything it proves he's not ready. He's shown flashes of promise, but he's playing within himself, I'm actually concerned we've dented his confidence with the quantity of football he's had to play. He was out of his depth in the latter stages of the EL and we're in a much harder competition than that next season. He's still rash and erratic. He could do with a loan if we're being honest.

Laird also hasn't even been given a chance to prove himself. If you want to look at someone who has proven themself look no further than Greenwood. Also, Williams was not any better on the right than left, he played to the same level on both sides, I don't know where this talk of him being so much better on the right has come from.
He has proven himself, and did well in most of them. Your definition of 'proving yourself' is irrelevant, as Williams has broken through and done well for his first season. He was not out of his depth in the latter stages of the EL, just because there are some mistakes does not mean that he is out of his depth. If that is the case, then no defender ever makes it as every defender makes mistakes at some point. He is erratic a little, but he is not rash, his discipline has been one of his most surprising things about his performances. No, he does not need a loan. The likes of Dalot, Garner, Levitt etc. need a loan, Williams is fine as a back up.

Laird will get his chance, but he has to get over his injury problems. To put your hopes on him when he can't even remain injury free and hope that he will be able to back up at RB even though there is a lot of uncertainty over him, over a player who has actually done well is ridiculous. If Greenwood is the level at which you think that a player has to be to have proven himself, then very few players ever prove themselves, which is obviously not true. And yes, Williams was better on the right when he played there, he looked more comfortable, was attacking more and performed better. The sample size is very small but it is there, and honestly we do need a proper LB to compete with Shaw, who has his injury problems and cannot be relied on to stay fit. He has an awful habit of being injured when he is needed the most.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I've only seen him in that one game but he looked absolute quality

If he's available on the cheap it could be a great bit of business

It seems unlikely that Real would let him go cheap, and he'd be okay with moving to be backup again though

Surely the best move for him is a smaller club and guaranteed first team football
I mean looks like they are willing to let him go for 20-25m. That’s pretty cheap.

Mark Pawelek

Yes, I admit that Williams has barely played on the right, which is why I saying he hasn’t shown promise. Just like he hasn’t shown promise as a goalkeeper. Laird has shown to be a promising right back, and has shown to be just that for years. He is separated from Williams by virtue of a few months of first team experience. I simply don’t see any justification for Williams being considered ahead of Laird as a RB. Laird can also play LB, but I wouldn’t begrudge Williams being ahead of him there, as he has at least played there with regularity.

Clearly, I’ve not considered Dalot as a serious option at either RB or LB, and given our reported need to sell to buy - I agree that he’s a prime candidate for an exit.

And indeed, I did start the original ‘search for a new LB’ thread as Shaw had been so unreliable. As it stands, I’m content with Shaw, he has his strengths and weaknesses, but he’s a very good left back. My issue is a combination of the fact that I think Williams is not very good, and that Shaw is injury prone. As a result, Williams’ ‘back up’ title is hugely misleading. Williams should be, currently, a ‘back up’ option in the way that Chong was a back up option last season. He should get to play the odd cup game, and be give cameos. Not a ‘squad player’ even in the way the likes of McTominay or Fred is, where they are not guaranteed starters but challengers for the first team. At present, if Shaw doesn’t play, Williams does. Regardless of the opposition or occasion. He’s nowhere near good enough for that status in my opinion, and given how frequently Shaw is injured, its big concern of mine. I could take an injury causing McTominay, Fred, Mata or Bailly to start in the Allianz or Bernabeu. Williams isn’t in that category for me. We shouldn’t have been one injury away from Chong starting a Cup Final last season, and we shouldn’t be in that position with Williams either.
I think we agree on far more than we disagree on.
RB: AWB, Laird, Williams, TFM, Dalot
LB: Shaw (75% of the time), or Rojo (heaven forbid).

PS: Assuming we play players in their natural position to match their preferred peg.

If we buy a LB now we can sell Dalot and Rojo, and send one of Williams or Laird on loan.

manuchamp88

I think we agree on far more than we disagree on.
RB: AWB, Laird, Williams, TFM, Dalot
LB: Shaw (75% of the time), or Rojo (heaven forbid).

PS: Assuming we play players in their natural position to match their preferred peg.

If we buy a LB now we can sell Dalot and Rojo, and send one of Williams or Laird on loan.
And we will still have Fosu-Mensah as 2nd backup (i.e, 3rd option).

Giggsy13

He fits the profile of a modern day attacking FB. Unfortunately none of our FBs are all that great at attacking and providing the necessary width needed in our team, which hurts us even more when we don’t have any decent wingers either. Getting Reguilón for €25 to €30 million is a no brainer imo.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can imagine the rumoured buy-back option may temp the Glaziers,more so if the set fee is substantial.

Daonico

does anyone else got the feeling he would be forcing his way back to Real in a few years if Real want him? clause or no clause...
That's what I got from the AS article at least, maybe it is just BS though.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
does anyone else got the feeling he would be forcing his way back to Real in a few years if Real want him? clause or no clause...
That's what I got from the AS article at least, maybe it is just BS though.
Wouldn’t care about it to be honest. Sign him for 20m. Have him for 3 years. Sell for 50m if he is good enough. Sell him even earlier if he isn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.