Sergio Romero interested in Manchester United return

stevoc

Under Cardiff our first team had Shaw, AWB, Maguire in defence and McT, Rashford and Greenwood/Sancho in midfield. That's a British core.
What is it you are trying to say here mate and why are you waffling on about this nonsense in a Sergio Romero thread?

So Manchester United a British club had 7 British players, 3 of whom were Academy players. So what? Is that somehow a negative in your opinion?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What is it you are trying to say here mate and why are you waffling on about this nonsense in a Sergio Romero thread?

So Manchester United a British club had 7 British players, 3 of whom were Academy players. So what? Is that somehow a negative in your opinion?
I can't care less about the player's nationality or 'DNA' as long as he's talented and committed. I criticised a number of players in my lifetime, sometimes fairly while others less so. Yet I never hated anyone. Ole's team is the closest of hating and it wasn't reserved for an individual player but nearly the entire team.

Regarding Romero, he was yet another player Ole has mishandled. The guy was a solid backup who kept DDG on his toes. Ole dropped a proven keeper and Argentinian international like a bag of cement in favour of 'one of the boys' and when he asked out, United blocked his move to Everton. That's not how a professional club works.

stevoc

I can't care less about the player's nationality or 'DNA' as long as he's talented and committed. I criticised a number of players in my lifetime, sometimes fairly while others less so. Yet I never hated anyone. Ole's team is the closest of hating and it wasn't reserved for an individual player but nearly the entire team.
So if you don't care what is all this talk of a ''British core'' about then?

Regarding Romero, he was yet another player Ole has mishandled. The guy was a solid backup who kept DDG on his toes. Ole dropped a proven keeper and Argentinian international like a bag of cement in favour of 'one of the boys' and when he asked out,
Yeah let's keep an average, over the hill, back-up keeper instead of a promising young England International from the Academy.

United blocked his move to Everton. That's not how a professional club works.
So professional clubs just accept whatever's offered then even if it's way below their valuation?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Regarding Romero, he was yet another player Ole has mishandled. The guy was a solid backup who kept DDG on his toes. Ole dropped a proven keeper and Argentinian international like a bag of cement in favour of 'one of the boys' and when he asked out, United blocked his move to Everton. That's not how a professional club works.
Read they offered us $2m, guess we thought wed rather keep a third GK in case

devilish

Read they offered us $2m, guess we thought wed rather keep a third GK in case
United's obsession in hoarding unhappy players is what lead to this disaster in the first place. There was a reason why SAF sold squad players such as Phil Nev on the cheap.

devilish

So if you don't care what is all this talk of a ''British core'' about then?
Simply because Ole's obsession for a 'British core' was not only expensive but stupid. Under him United spent 130m on Maguire and AWB which is probably more then ETH has to spend this year. He also insisted on guys like Shaw and McTominay who were clearly not good enough, he ran Rashford to the ground and he insisted in keeping Lingard when we could have sold him for good money. An aura of complacency and toxicity kicked in which lead to this disaster. In the end ETH had inherited the laziest and possibly the least talented team United had ever had in the past 35 years with many players leaving for free. United DNA indeed.

Yeah let's keep an average, over the hill, back-up keeper instead of a promising young England International from the Academy.
We hyped Henderson on the basis of 1 half decent season in the EPL and because of that we made him the 6th most paid keeper in the EPL. How did that work out exactly? He's not set to go on loan at Nottingham because he's nowhere near to DDG, he doesn't want to stay on the bench and no one can afford/bother to buy him. Which means we're now on the look out for a no 2 again.

So professional clubs just accept whatever's offered then even if it's way below their valuation?
You would have thought that after last year fans would have learnt not to hoard players who doesn't want to be here especially when they do have a point (ie they aren't being played)

Last edited:

micmac

I’ve heard these Goldbridge followers spouting this bullshit about too many British players. Could you imagine going to Barcelona and telling them they have to many Spanish players or better yet go to Ajax and tell them stop playing Dutch players?

Some people fail to realize Manchester United is an English club and a club in any country require x amount of nationals to be in their squad. Weird how nobody talking about how recently City started adding a few Brits to their squad in recent years.

devilish

I’ve heard these Goldbridge followers spouting this bullshit about too many British players. Could you imagine going to Barcelona and telling them they have to many Spanish players or better yet go to Ajax and tell them stop playing Dutch players?

Some people fail to realize Manchester United is an English club and a club in any country require x amount of nationals to be in their squad. Weird how nobody talking about how recently City started adding a few Brits to their squad in recent years.
I am not a big fan of Goldbridge. However I think that Barcelona and Ajax would have issues if their Spanish or Dutch core was largely made up of players who are simply not good enough.

Last edited:

stevoc

Yeah I suspect it's just another in a long line of nonsense myth to beat Solskjaer with. The idea that United having a 'British core' is a negative is pure and utter nonsense.

stevoc

Simply because Ole's obsession for a 'British core' was not only expensive but stupid. Under him United spent 130m on Maguire and AWB which is probably more then ETH has to spend this year. He also insisted on guys like Shaw and McTominay who were clearly not good enough, he ran Rashford to the ground and he insisted in keeping Lingard when we could have sold him for good money. An aura of complacency and toxicity kicked in which lead to this disaster. In the end ETH had inherited the laziest and possibly the least talented team United had ever had in the past 35 years with many players leaving for free. United DNA indeed.
Mourinho and Guardiola wanted Maguire. We overpaid but then United usually have to.

Rashford ans Shaw had their best season under Solskjaer.

Is spending £50m on AWB really any worse than spending £55m on Fred or £35m on Bailly? Bad transfers happen regardless of nationality.

Lingard was running contract down, no chance anyone was getting him out the door.

We hyped Henderson on the basis of 1 half decent season in the EPL and because of that we made him the 6th most paid keeper in the EPL. How did that work out exactly? He's not set to go on loan at Nottingham because he's nowhere near to DDG, he doesn't want to stay on the bench and no one can afford/bother to buy him. Which means we're now on the look out for a no 2 again.
Hindsight is 20/20 but only an idiot would have chose Romero over Henderson is asked who was a better bet to replace DeGea.

You would have thought that after last year fans would have learnt not to hoard players who doesn't want to be here especially when they do have a point (ie they aren't being played)
Just answer the question mate instead of spouting more waffle.

Should clubs in your opinion just accept whatever's offered for a player even if it's way below their valuation? Would that as you say make them more 'professional'?

United set a value on Romero (whether or not we think it's high is irrelevant, I do think it was high) and Everton didn't even get close to meeting it. How do transfer deals usually play out for any club when they only offer 25% of the selling clubs valuation?

devilish

Mourinho and Guardiola wanted Maguire. We overpaid but then United usually have to.

Rashford ans Shaw had their best season under Solskjaer.

Is spending £50m on AWB really any worse than spending £55m on Fred or £35m on Bailly? Bad transfers happen regardless of nationality.

Lingard was running contract down, no chance anyone was getting him out the door.
City bailed out the moment silly sums were being asked. We didn't and we ended up buying an average EPL defender at the price of a Van Dijk. Fred is the best CM we've got (Bruno is a no 10), Bailly would be a first teamer if only he could remain fit while AWB is nowhere near to first team level.

Regarding Lingard and Rashford, the former would have gladly left in summer but Ole promised him game time while the latter was run to the ground by Ole and because of that he might have costed him his career.

Ultimately we know what Ole's legacy is. 420m spent, no trophies and we're back into a rebuild that would probably cost us more than 420m.

Hindsight is 20/20 but only an idiot would have chose Romero over Henderson is asked who was a better bet to replace DeGea.
Not really. We paid Henderson the salary of a first team goalkeeper based on just 1 season with Sheffield United. It was a shit fest waiting to happen because we now had two goalkeepers on 475k between them both of whom expecting to be first keeper. Romero might not have had Henderson's potential/hype but he was happy to be backup keeper as long as he got a fair share of the whip. That was something neither DDG nor Henderson were happy with. Yet another clusterfeck from Cardiff.

Just answer the question mate instead of spouting more waffle.

Should clubs in your opinion just accept whatever's offered for a player even if it's way below their valuation? Would that as you say make them more 'professional'?

United set a value on Romero (whether or not we think it's high is irrelevant, I do think it was high) and Everton didn't even get close to meeting it. How do transfer deals usually play out for any club when they only offer 25% of the selling clubs valuation?
If the player is unhappy and we can't get better value then yes we should have accepted the offer. SAF did that all the time including with P Nev but also bigger stars like Beckham and RVN. Hoarding unhappy players at the club will only result to, well, last season.

devilish

For the first team?
Have I said that? The answer is no.

We signed a 35 year old player who wasn't even United level in his prime to rot in the reserves for 1 year. Then we made him youth coach despite having no coaching experience whatsoever. Hopefully he won't become technical director in 6 months time following 2 successive promotions in record time

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Have I said that? The answer is no.

We signed a 35 year old player who wasn't even United level in his prime to rot in the reserves for 1 year. Then we made him youth coach despite having no coaching experience whatsoever. Hopefully he won't become technical director in 6 months time following 2 successive promotions in record time
Him not being good enough in his prime has zero relevance to what he was signed to do - which was play as a senior player/coach at U23 level to teach youngsters in real-time on the pitch when playing U23 matches. It’s an innovative approach and something Liverpool have copied this summer. As per usual you’re moaning for the sake of fecking moaning.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
New low moaning about McfeckingShane in Romero thread.

People just moan for the sake of it.

devilish

Him not being good enough in his prime has zero relevance to what he was signed to do - which was play as a senior player/coach at U23 level to teach youngsters in real-time on the pitch when playing U23 matches. It’s an innovative approach and something Liverpool have copied this summer. As per usual you’re moaning for the sake of fecking moaning.
What would someone who was barely EPL level teach to our youngsters? I mean its not like we signed a 35 year old something Buffon. We're talking about McShane here

devilish

New low moaning about McfeckingShane in Romero thread.

People just moan for the sake of it.
Someone asked why we signed Heaton since we barely ever played him. I highlighted the fact that we also signed McShane on similar conditions. Then hell went loose based on that comment.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
What would someone who was barely EPL level teach to our youngsters? I mean its not like we signed a 35 year old something Buffon. We're talking about McShane here
What could former academy graduate, international and professional footballer for over 16 years playing at EPL level Paul mcshane who also has his coaching badges teach Manchester United academy players about making it as a footballer? No idea. No clue at all. God you’re tedious.

devilish

What could former academy graduate, international and professional footballer for over 16 years playing at EPL level Paul mcshane who also has his coaching badges teach Manchester United academy players about making it as a footballer? No idea. No clue at all. God you’re tedious.
That changes everything. A United youth talent has plenty to learn from a former Ireland international who spent most of his career playing with the likes of Hull, Reading and Brighton. You only have to notice how many trophies we won with Ole and his former Reds at the wheel

Anyway back to Romero. I hope we sign him up.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
That changes everything. A United youth talent has plenty to learn from a former Ireland international who spent most of his career playing with the likes of Hull, Reading and Brighton.
Yea. They do - because for 95% of them the career he’s had would be incredible. They don’t all make it. In fact few of them do. His footballing ability also has zero fecking relevance to his coaching ability. Yet again you’re talking absolute cock.

devilish

Yea. They do - because for 95% of them the career he’s had would be incredible. They don’t all make it. In fact few of them do. His footballing ability also has zero fecking relevance to his coaching ability. Yet again you’re talking absolute cock.
We already seen the benefits of having so many ex players 'at the wheel'. Enough said....back to the Romero.

Wheato

Romero made a lot of noise about being second choice goalie and in the end said that the club was treating him like a slave not letting him leave. Now he wants to come back as 3rd choice?

Yeah, that makes sense :confused:

devilish

Romero made a lot of noise about being second choice goalie and in the end said that the club was treating him like a slave not letting him leave. Now he wants to come back as 3rd choice?

Would he be 3rd choice keeper though?

phelans shorts

That isn’t what happened though. He dropped to third choice on Henderson’s return, was told he could move to Everton to sit on their bench then the club changed their mind last minute for no reason.

He would also be ahead of Heaton in the pecking order.

mu4c_20le

That changes everything. A United youth talent has plenty to learn from a former Ireland international who spent most of his career playing with the likes of Hull, Reading and Brighton. You only have to notice how many trophies we won with Ole and his former Reds at the wheel
What absolute nonsense. Liverpool just hired Jay fecking Spearing as coach. Do you think it's also out of pity, because he's one of the old boys?

Anyway back to Romero. I hope we sign him up.
I hope we don't. He's 35 and barely played in the last two years. Would rather go for someone younger, like Bachmann.

devilish

What absolute nonsense. Liverpool just hired Jay fecking Spearing as coach. Do you think it's also out of pity, because he's one of the old boys?

I hope we don't. He's 35 and barely played in the last two years. Would rather go for someone younger, like Bachmann.
Anyway lets hope he's better then Ole, the Nevilles, Giggs, Fletcher, Carrick and Co who were all given chances at the club and failed miserably

Romero had 1 operation that kept him out for a long time + coronavirus

mu4c_20le

Anyway lets hope he's better then Ole, the Nevilles, Giggs, Fletcher, Carrick and Co who were all given chances at the club and failed miserably

Romero had 1 operation that kept him out for a long time + coronavirus
From what ive read, guys like Fletcher and Carrick and Mckenna tried to make the best of a bad situation, rather than being the main causes of it. But anyways, like you said, lets hope they are better, and at least give them the chance rather than judging them based purely on association.

fps

I bet he does, what a cushy life being a number 2 keeper must be, and the wages at United! Sure he'd love it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It was supposed to be fair that he was asked to leave IF we had better replacements for him. We did not and later bring in another GK (Heaton). Its one decision that bamboozled me. He should have stayed and Grant left.

stevoc

City bailed out the moment silly sums were being asked. We didn't and we ended up buying an average EPL defender at the price of a Van Dijk. Fred is the best CM we've got (Bruno is a no 10), Bailly would be a first teamer if only he could remain fit while AWB is nowhere near to first team level.

Regarding Lingard and Rashford, the former would have gladly left in summer but Ole promised him game time while the latter was run to the ground by Ole and because of that he might have costed him his career.

Ultimately we know what Ole's legacy is. 420m spent, no trophies and we're back into a rebuild that would probably cost us more than 420m.

Not really. We paid Henderson the salary of a first team goalkeeper based on just 1 season with Sheffield United. It was a shit fest waiting to happen because we now had two goalkeepers on 475k between them both of whom expecting to be first keeper. Romero might not have had Henderson's potential/hype but he was happy to be backup keeper as long as he got a fair share of the whip. That was something neither DDG nor Henderson were happy with. Yet another clusterfeck from Cardiff.

If the player is unhappy and we can't get better value then yes we should have accepted the offer. SAF did that all the time including with P Nev but also bigger stars like Beckham and RVN. Hoarding unhappy players at the club will only result to, well, last season.
You spout some absolute waffle mate. We're going way off topic so I'll leave it there as it'll only lead to more nonsense.

Avero

We should move on. Sergio Romero was a decent backup goalkeeper here for 6 years and he is now 35 years old. He doesn't contribute as much to the club environment as someone like Tom Heaton. And his girlfriend may start moaning to the press again. We should find a new backup goalkeeper.

Red_Devil.gr

Liverpool signed Jay Spearing in the role McShane had last year. The one Spearing with 29 PL appearances.

devilish

Liverpool signed Jay Spearing in the role McShane had last year. The one Spearing with 29 PL appearances.
Fair enough but did we really need to bring him in as a player first? How many former reds does our club need at the time? What were the benefits of having Ole, Carrick, McShane, Clegg and Fletcher involved?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That's a weird opinion to have given there are countless great managers who were bang average or worse players.

devilish

That's a weird opinion to have given there are countless great managers who were bang average or worse players.
Fair enough but did we really need to bring him in as a player first? How many former reds does our club need at the time? What were the benefits of having Ole, Carrick, McShane, Clegg and Fletcher involved?