Serhou Guirassy

KeanoMagicHat

Manchester United have Stuttgart’s Serhou Guirassy on January wishlist

• Release clause means striker available for cut-price €17.5m
  • Guirassy has 15 Bundesliga goals this season, second to Kane
Manchester United are interested in signing Serhou Guirassy from Stuttgart in January as Erik ten Hag attempts to provide competition for the £72m Rasmus Højlund in attack.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ed-serhou-guirassy-stuttgart-january-wishlist

Didn't see a thread, what do you think?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's scored some sexy finishes this year but is he actually good at football? Is he the Papiss Cisséof our times maybe?

Bole Top

looks like your typical bundesliga one season wonder that will flop, end up on loan in France and after that sold to Frankfurt looking for a fresh start.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
If we can get him for close to €17.5m then it's a no-brainer just as another option, he's on fire at the moment as apparently he's only around €60k a week so we wouldn't need to pay silly fee's.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's scored some sexy finishes this year but is he actually good at football? Is he the Papiss Cisséof our times maybe?
I suspect that it's a purple patch. He was a pretty good youth player with potential, a lanky striker with decent technique and pace but he failed to up his level at senior level. I would liken him to Joshua King.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I suspect that it's a purple patch. He was a pretty good youth player with potential, a lanky striker with decent technique and pace but he failed to up his level at senior level. I would liken him to Joshua King.
I wouldn't pay 17.5m for peak Josh King personally but I guess it depends how desperate we are.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wouldn't pay 17.5m for peak Josh King personally but I guess it depends how desperate we are.
I wouldn't either. I think that it's typically the type of players that teams should stay away from.

KeanoMagicHat

It's probably a purple patch, reminds me a bit of Haller as well, there's no chance he keeps scoring at that clip but if he could extend his purple patch for another year even, at that price he might do a job while Hojlund grows as a player.

ArjenIsM3

I mean.. what do you get for 17,5m these days? Watching his goals this season he doesn't look special but decent enough to be a backup striker to Hojlund. Seems to be able to finish calmly. Anyone watch him play? How's his workrate and hold up play?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It is, but it's not that extreme. He far exceeded his xG, but even with on par finishing he would have about a goal per game this season, which is still great. So the caveat is less that he has a purple patch in regard to finishing, but more how excellent Stuttgart is playing and setting their strikers up. When he was recently injured Deniz Undav scored just as much as Guirassy did, which points to this excellent performance being less due to him being exceptional but because the team behind him has become so very good this season.

Nonetheless worth a punt if you want to have an alternative to Højlund in the squad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Can see one of the clubs at the bottom taking a punt on that release clause in Jan as a last ditch attempt to stay up.

His career record's good. Fairly steady progression throughout.

2016-2019 Koln - Goal or Assist every 191 minutes
2019-2020 Amiens - Goal or Assist every 202 minutes
2020-2022 Rennes - Goal or Assist every 128 minutes
2022- Stuttgart - Goal or Assist every 84 minutes

Last edited:

OleGunnar20

17m these days is nothing honestly. If he's a decent backup option go get him, we certainly need it.

Not that I've ever seen him play football or anything.

DanClancy

It is, but it's not that extreme. He far exceeded his xG, but even with on par finishing he would have about a goal per game this season, which is still great. So the caveat is less that he has a purple patch in regard to finishing, but more how excellent Stuttgart is playing and setting their strikers up. When he was recently injured Deniz Undav scored just as much as Guirassy did, which points to this excellent performance being less due to him being exceptional but because the team behind him has become so very good this season.

Nonetheless worth a punt if you want to have an alternative to Højlund in the squad.
A nice bit of context which is missing from a lot of posts on this forum.

lysglimt

Scout
It's probably a purple patch, reminds me a bit of Haller as well, there's no chance he keeps scoring at that clip but if he could extend his purple patch for another year even, at that price he might do a job while Hojlund grows as a player.
There is a big difference, Sebastian Haller was a 1 goal in 2 matches striker for 4 seasons before joining West Ham, and then went on to scored 40+ goals in 60+ matches for Ajax - this other guy has never scored lots of goals before he had 12 superb months at the age of 26. I am not saying he isn't a good striker, I am just somewhat sceptical.

PoTMS

His recent goalscoring record is 100% a purple patch but for £15m, you can't really complain for a decent striker. If he even scores a few goals, it'll be worth it. I don't see any other striker than can come in immediately either especially with our budget. He'll be better than Weghorst and will at least have some resell value if things go awry.

MiceOnMeth

If we can get him for close to €17.5m then it's a no-brainer just as another option, he's on fire at the moment as apparently he's only around €60k a week so we wouldn't need to pay silly fee's.
Anthony was on 30k and we gave him 200k

aeh1991

Low risk transfer. Why not? There's a good chance he can continue his purple patch.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Questions to ask:

• What does he offer outside of goals? Assuming this is a purple patch, what is his reversion level?
  • Is he a system player or eclectic - do we have to play a certain way for him to be effective, or will he slot in to whatever the hell it is we do?
  • Does he look like a match to the athleticism of the PL?
  • Can he play 1 and 2 touch?
  • Any hold up quality?
  • Does he have good pace?

Things like this. £15m is a pittance these days, and so long as we are not dumb with his wage, an able squaddie who can feature in rotation and be effective is nothing to sniff at? There’s also the question of whether this is actually just form or if he’s one of those random Drogba-esque late bloomers. Unless we have plans for a proper elite striker this would interfere with, what would be the downside?

ColvaleGoa

Can he press?

We have our hands burnt with Weghorst. Gambling 17 ml when we have FFP issues is not ideal

Simbo

17m seems an obviously sane gamble. No idea if his stats this season is down to him or his team though.

MegadrivePerson

Will be away at Afcon in January, turns 28 in March, seems like a bit of a waste of time. The Guinean Patrick Bamford!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I know nothing about him.

Firstly, do we play to his strengths? Hojlund is 3 months in and receives a cross once every 3 weeks…

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Potentially could be a bargain, but should we not just gamble on someone a bit younger with more potential?

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
Potentially could be a bargain, but should we not just gamble on someone a bit younger with more potential?
Isn't that exactly what they brought in Hojlund for already? Bringing in an alternative to him with more experience and known qualities rather than talent status is usually the more prudent move.

Not sure if it should be Guirassy though. He's having an insane season for sure and already did well last year with fourteen goals and two assists in 2044 minutes played, but I am not sure how much of this years outstanding results is just Stuttgart clicking insanely well in general. When Guirassy couldn't play they barely looked any weaker. Not saying that this makes what Guirassy did this season so far look any worse, he still did a great job, but it sure makes it harder to judge, and makes it questionable how well he might do in a team that might not gel as well as Stuttgart do.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Isn't that exactly what they brought in Hojlund for already? Bringing in an alternative to him with more experience and known qualities rather than talent status is usually the more prudent move.

Not sure if it should be Guirassy though. He's having an insane season for sure and already did well last year with fourteen goals and two assists in 2044 minutes played, but I am not sure how much of this years outstanding results is just Stuttgart clicking insanely well in general. When Guirassy couldn't play they barely looked any weaker. Not saying that this makes what Guirassy did this season so far look any worse, he still did a great job, but it sure makes it harder to judge, and makes it questionable how well he might do in a team that might not gel as well as Stuttgart do.
To be fair to him they are only clicking so well this season. Last season it was Guirassy's return from injury that allowed them the final run to prevent relegation. So he has proven his worth for them in very difficult times.

GreatDane

250k a week it is!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
To be fair to him they are only clicking so well this season. Last season it was Guirassy's return from injury that allowed them the final run to prevent relegation. So he has proven his worth for them in very difficult times.
Is he good at football, or is he just a goalscorer?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Is he good at football, or is he just a goalscorer?
I've only seen several games this season, full 90 minutes and he is admittedly on a purple patch and looks quite awkward at finishing but has an odd knack of looking like he's making the wrong decision but ends up making the right one. He is particularly clinical but I wouldn't call him much of an assister, he's very much a last man type striker.

Very little defensive work, poor at carrying the ball but a decent passer but as a different choice for a rotation striker for the price it does seem sensible if we can get him sub £100k a week.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've only seen several games this season, full 90 minutes and he is admittedly on a purple patch and looks quite awkward at finishing but has an odd knack of looking like he's making the wrong decision but ends up making the right one. He is particularly clinical but I wouldn't call him much of an assister, he's very much a last man type striker.

Very little defensive work, poor at carrying the ball but a decent passer but as a different choice for a rotation striker for the price it does seem sensible if we can get him sub £100k a week.
:nervous: after Wout, I don't know what to think about your last paragraph! So long as he can contribute consistently at whatever he'd be brought in to do (presumably, score goals), I'd lean toward the outlay being worth the punt. Just don't want anymore absolutely duds here who don't even look like United squaddies let alone contributors to the cause.