Television Shōgun (FX Networks series) - premieres February 27, 2024

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Even knowing what was coming I was hoping it wouldn't. I am going to miss this show.

Raven

I believe it's just the one book. I also think the creators have pretty much said they won't be doing any more.
You're right, one book it was. Probably best they stick to what's written after seeing what's happened over the years with other adaptations from literature.

siw2007

Just finished the latest episode of Disney+. What a show! That was an emotional roller coaster.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
No more seasons, I thought it was a trilogy of books? Feck it, at least we have 1 more episode.
Clavell wrote an Asian Saga that is six books, each in a different age/region of Asia.

(from Wikipedia)
  1. Shōgun: set in feudal Japan, 1600. 1152 pages.
  2. Tai-Pan: set in Hong Kong, 1841. 727 pages.
  3. Gai-Jin: set in Japan, 1862. 1126 pages.
  4. King Rat: set in a Japanese POW camp, Singapore, 1945. 400 pages.
  5. Noble House: set in Hong Kong, 1963. 1171 pages.
  6. Whirlwind: set in Iran, 1979. 1147 page
    edit: Some of the confusion might be due to the money grabbers over at Blacktstone Publishing who “spontaneously” decided to split the audiobook into two parts on Audible/Libro.fm/etc. It was always sold as a single book (1 credit) till recently. It just happened to coincide with the book cover being the FX show logo. Funny that.

Last edited:

Raven

Clavell wrote an Asian Saga that is six books, each in a different age/region of Asia.

(from Wikipedia)
  1. Shōgun: set in feudal Japan, 1600. 1152 pages.
  2. Tai-Pan: set in Hong Kong, 1841. 727 pages.
  3. Gai-Jin: set in Japan, 1862. 1126 pages.
  4. King Rat: set in a Japanese POW camp, Singapore, 1945. 400 pages.
  5. Noble House: set in Hong Kong, 1963. 1171 pages.
  6. Whirlwind: set in Iran, 1979. 1147 page
    edit: Some of the confusion might be due to the money grabbers over at Blacktstone Publishing who “spontaneously” decided to split the audiobook into two parts on Audible/Libro.fm/etc. It was always sold as a single book (1 credit) till recently. It just happened to coincide with the book cover being the FX show logo. Funny that.
Yeah, I came across that when I googled it earlier, they seem like quite the time investment. Maybe some day I'll look into them properly.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
That snake needs putting down but I respect his graft, he's a survivor.

lilcurt

Have loved every single episode. Gutted it's ending but a great ride.

Will be hard to surpass for my show of the year.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Great episode, so tense. So are the other noble houses gonna be pissed off now and rise up against Ishido?
Seems that way, yes, maybe lending more resources to Toranaga and thus swinging things in his favor.

Anyway, fantastic episode. Yabushige the absolute cuntbucket I find very hard to hate :lol:

That ending :(

Withnail

Great episode, so tense. So are the other noble houses gonna be pissed off now and rise up against Ishido?
The expectation would be that yes. Mariko's death will not go down well. You could see that they were at pains not to harm her when she tried to leave and Ishido stopped her from committing Seppuku. The Shinobi were trying to carry her off rather than kill her. The fact that she denounced him in front of witnesses immediately before she was killed will be taken into account by the other nobles as well.

Toranaga backed him into a corner and his plan to get out of it blew up in his face.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The expectation would be that yes. Mariko's death will not go down well. You could see that they were at pains not to harm her when she tried to leave and Ishido stopped her from committing Seppuku. The Shinobi were trying to carry her off rather than kill her. The fact that she denounced him in front of witnesses immediately before she was killed will be taken into account by the other nobles as well.

Toranaga backed him into a corner and his plan to get out of it blew up in his face.
:(

hobbers

Who would want more seasons with no Mariko anyway.

Need more one season and done shows like this, masters of the air etc. Makes for much higher quality

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It threw me for a loop in the beginning when Blackthorne was like "Yeah, I speak fluent Portuguese" and then everyone just continued speaking English.

Chumpsbechumps

Anyway, fantastic episode. Yabushige the absolute cuntbucket I find very hard to hate :lol:
He's just being the best possible Yabushige he can be. Can't fault him for that.
What’s funny is that he nearly comitted Seppuku when it looked like he might drown, so there’s some sort of weird honor and sneaky devious bastard traits to him. He’s kind of a charming , horrible rogue. He’s always looking at the angles. Great character and well played by Asano, right up there with his role in Battleship.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It threw me for a loop in the beginning when Blackthorne was like "Yeah, I speak fluent Portuguese" and then everyone just continued speaking English.
For some reason i assumed from start that whenever they're speaking English in the show, it's actually Portuguese anyway? Like the Japanese couldnt actually speak English/didn't know England existed.

Unless i got that completely wrong :lol: alas, if i did, it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the show at all.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What’s funny is that he nearly comitted Seppuku when it looked like he might drown, so there’s some sort of weird honor and sneaky devious bastard traits to him. He’s kind of a charming , horrible rogue. He’s always looking at the angles. Great character and well played by Asano, right up there with his role in Battleship.
Yep, great character and Asano is a perfect fit for him with all his facial expressions etc :lol:

Maagge

For some reason i assumed from start that whenever they're speaking English in the show, it's actually Portuguese anyway? Like the Japanese couldnt actually speak English/didn't know England existed.

Unless i got that completely wrong :lol: alas, if i did, it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the show at all.
It kinda seems to be the case. Except the very first scenes on the ship where they also spoke English and when Blackthorne met the guy from his crew. And then I've been assuming Blackthorne occasionally speaks English "to himself".

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It kinda seems to be the case. Except the very first scenes on the ship where they also spoke English and when Blackthorne met the guy from his crew. And then I've been assuming Blackthorne occasionally speaks English "to himself".
Luckily it's only enhanced the show, otherwise it would have been a subtitle nightmare.

Withnail

He was probably speaking Dutch to the crew as he was the only Englishman aboard.

Maagge

He was probably speaking Dutch to the crew as he was the only Englishman aboard.
Sure, it just annoyed me that they're seemingly using English for now three different languages (I'm really nitpicking here). Of course it limits your choice of actors if you need someone who speaks all of Dutch, English and Portuguese.

Withnail

Sure, it just annoyed me that they're seemingly using English for now three different languages (I'm really nitpicking here). Of course it limits your choice of actors if you need someone who speaks all of Dutch, English and Portuguese.
I suppose they could have gone the 'Allo 'Allo route and put on dodgy accents to denote the different languages instead.

nimic

something nice
Scout
As you say, it would be far too limiting. I can see it being an issue if Dutch, English and Portuguese were all frequently spoken, but there's hardly any Dutch at all (and it doesn't really matter what language it is) and there's no English at all except for Blackthorn muttering to himself. It's basically a two-language show.

I suppose they could have gone the 'Allo 'Allo route and put on dodgy accents to denote the different languages instead.
They're already doing that for different characters speaking Portuguese, so it would be way too confusing to also have it happen for characters speaking other languages. It would also get silly quick.