Shane Warne | RIP

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Man was a genius of his craft, always had a moment of magic around the corner, always watchable.

Like many people my age we tried to bowl leggies like him.

Vale Shane Keith Warne

Gavinb33

The greatest of all time moniker gets thrown about easily these days but Shane Warne was the greatest cricketer of all time.

He had everything devastating bowler, smarts in the tactical side of the game, for his position he could hold down an end and score sometimes pretty freely with the bat he could do it all and then when the game was over win, lose or draw go for a beer with the boys after.

A massive loss to the world of sport one of the true all timers RIP.

Fts 74

I can't believe it.

I had the pleasure(if you'd call it that)of watching him in his pomp 97 ashes at old Trafford every delivery I thought he was going to take a wicket.

The greatest spinner ever so sad only 52.
RIP legend.

sully07

Legend is an over used word in sport but definitely applies to Shane Warne.

I remember his last test against England and the Aussies has just beaten us. When the awards were given out the England fans sang 'we wish you were English'. He had a tear in his eye.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Wow. RIP good sir.

He must have transcended the sport in a way because as a person who isn't even remote interested in cricket, he was one of the very few cricket players I knew very well.

zing

Zingle balls
For me, he'd be one of the two players who enters without argument on a GOAT 11 - that good

LDUred

He was the greatest spinner ever but he also came across well and had great knowledge and love for the game. He seemed like the sort of star who always had time for other people and just loved the banter between England and Australia.

Just an absolute legend really and hard to accept his passing.

RIP Shane Warne.

G-manc

I only watched his film the other day.

He was a pantomime villain to the England fans but they knew how special he was and he had everyone's respect. I was a junior when he burst on the scene and nearly everyone had a crack at bowling leg spin for the next few years - he made spin cool. RIP.

RG 11

He was a pantomime villain to the England fans but they knew how special he was and he had everyone's respect. I was a junior when he burst on the scene and nearly everyone had a crack at bowling leg spin for the next few years - he made spin cool. RIP.
Everyone and I mean everyone I played cricket with has at one point tried to bowl the batsman out from behind with leg spin because of him. Absolutely tragic.:(

SMNRe"d"volution

RIP Legend. Most of us, who have played cricket, have tried bowling with his action at least once. :(

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Am finding this news quite upsetting. Far too young.

RIP the greatest bowler of all time for me.

Hope his kids recover as best they can.

Total legend if I could have pinched one player to play for England it would have been him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Such sad news. Only just heard. Such an amazing cricketer and such a amazing character. Condolences to his family and friends.

Dan_F

I must have started playing cricket in about 2000 and it was still the same then. All of us in the nets trying to get our wrist to look like Warne’s.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even now when I pretend to bowl whatever ball I have in my hand, I mimic his style.

Was watching this live with my mums partner at the time who was a massive Warne fan. He lost his mind at seeing that.

SoCross

While all the other kids were trying to bowl off spin due to the influence and hero status Murali has in my country, Warne inspired me to become a leg spinner. RIP.

diarm

Saw this somewhere else but it seemed a fitting tribute:

He screwed England's finest, on and off the field.

CraftySoAndSo

In pretty much every sport where there's a few people who are so good even those who know absolutely nothing about the sport know they are. That applies here, i know next to nothing about cricket but he's one of the few i can name and that shows how good he was. RIP.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
How good was Shane Warne?

“Wisden asked 100 experts around the globe to choose their Five Cricketers of the Century for its millennium edition, only one contemporary player made the cut.

Shane Keith Warne. Curious how three simple syllables conveyed, for batsmen everywhere, an incomprehensible world of pain.

Don Bradman, of course, ran away with the Wisden vote, picking up a clean-sweep 100. Garry Sobers was next, on 90. There was a huge gap to third: England’s batting master Jack Hobbs, on 30. Fourth, on 27 (ahead of Viv Richards) was Warne.

His Test career was barely half done….”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...tals-Don-Bradman-Garry-Sobers-Jack-Hobbs.html

Abraxas

This hit me really hard. I think most of us at any kind of club level that grew up bowling in the 90s or 00s absolutely idolised Shane for his skill and persona on the pitch. He's the player you would imitate.

I think Cummins said a once in a century player, and that is about right. With the advent of short form cricket that could be an underestimate. I'm not one for overly saccharine obituaries but Shane defined an era through perfecting the most difficult skill.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Absolutely gutted.

A bonafide genius and the ultimate competitor. In that Ashes in 2005, even in the middle of a fair few great players doing great things he stood head and shoulders above everyone else. I remember spending an hour in the garden trying to replicate leggies after seeing him bamboozle Strauss at Edgbaston.

In sport there always tends to be someone who comes along and raises the bar a little higher but with the advent of T20 I genuinely cannot envision another leg spinner of his craft and ilk. The best I have had the fortune of seeing and amongst the best to ever play the wonderful game of cricket.

Boycott

I'm still in shock about this news. There have been a few legends of the game who have died in the last few years but I'm sure Warne is the first legend to pass away whose career I actually witnessed as it happened from start to finish. This hits home a lot of differently because of it.