Shaw is always really narrow

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Luke Shaw needs to be wider. He’s always too narrow, basically a centre back at times, leaving the oppositions right winger completely free. Anyone else noticed this? It was particularly evident in the Spurs game.

He’s not wide enough.

acnumber9

One thing I’ll never say about Shaw is he isn’t wide enough.

3KDré

Because he is covering for Maguire's lack of pace.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Cue the boring jokes

shahzy

I'm not going to say...not going to say.... "Shaw's wide enough"

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Haha it’s funny because Shaw was born in Kingston upon Thames and the Thames is famously narrow in certain sections.

macheda14

I mean there have been countless times where he’s been right in the touch line tonight.

3KDré

I love myths like these
Why is it a myth? It's a common thing to do. When Mourinho last won the league he had Azpilicueta stay closer to Terry because of the same reason.

Red_toad

Why is it a myth? It's a common thing to do. When Mourinho last won the league he had Azpilicueta stay closer to Terry because of the same reason.
It's acceleration over short distances that gets Maguire, same with Lindelof, once he's up and running he's fine, so yes it's a myth.

I'd say it was tactical, AWB covers Lindelof' areas a lot as well.

3KDré

It's acceleration over short distances that gets Maguire, same with Lindelof, once he's up and running he's fine, so yes it's a myth.

I'd say it was tactical, AWB covers Lindelof' areas a lot as well.
I was talking about his acceleration in the first place, Shaw accelerates a lot quicekr than Maguire.

Bwuk

Telles when he gets up to speed will put Shaw out the side.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
While this is probably just fishing for the obvious, it has been noticeable so far this season. Seems to be tactical to tuck into a pseudo-back 3 at times.

Works well when we have Fred in the area to close down the opposition right back. When we've had Pogba there, you get the Spurs result.

MattofManchester

He was the weak link in the team for me.

Took so long on the ball when Leipzig were pressing that Maguire and Pogba both had to come and help him out, which pushed us into an even smaller space.

His jogging on the ball before passing backwards is just infuriating.

Defensively he's too poorly positioned too often and doesn't close down players taking a shot or going to cross it.

Telles has to start, really.