Sheep Draft - NM vs MJJ - players at their peak

Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well it's a funny question considering the way he's been used here previously.

Gio - who knows his football - played Platini with a deep lying playmaker in Xavi.

He lost, and a big part of that was nobody even noticed Platini was there.

antohan switched to this formation with Platini - not one, not two, not three, but four playmakers in this team. Somehow Pirlo is causing all kinds of issues picking the ball up from the centre backs, but Passarella, Falcao and Schuster doing the same is wonderful.

Funnily enough, I had just commented on this saying Schüster was surplus here and Lerby would have been better. Falcão was box-to-box, no problem there (although, as with Matthäus earlier, I'd argue "lesser" players would do that job). Passarella was supposed to be doing a Scirea. Not really the same player, but Scirea was in the other team so feck all I could do about that.

As I said earlier, Scirea worked well with Platini. The problem isn't having more than one playmaker, the problem is their nature, their compatibility and what youa re sacrificing. Pirlo is a waste of a man there, no two ways about it.

And here is the false 9 set up that Balu loved - which is apparently completely different to the system we have here now of course.

That was Aldo's team. I'm pretty sure questions were raised re: how things would work with Ronaldo, not as much Guardiola. You will notice there was no attempt to play a striker/poacher but forwards with proper movement and wide play. TBH, Guardiola wasn't the best idea, someone more defensive would work better but Guardiola was extremely vertical. I'm not saying Pirlo won't ping that glorious ball, but he would hog it, and pass it, and wait for that grand opening. He was more patient. Guardiola hardly even controlled the ball, he pretty much one-touch pinged it forward all game long.

antohan

Same for the other one, between them Falcao, Schuster and Passarella are going to do far, far more passing from deep positions than Pirlo would. You can forget Schuster entirely, Falcao and Passarella alone would do more than Pirlo. I'm not sure what you need Platini dropping deep to the centre backs for when you have Passarella, Falcao and Schuster in the side.
1. You clearly can't read or comprehend writing, as I alluded to a certain imbalance there before even reading your post on it.

2. It is very different to draft a side with a howler of an imbalance (despite every man and his dog pointing it out) to building a side the way we used to, picking scraps from rivals. Platini was the obvious scrap from my semi in that draft. I had built a side that could live without having a #10, simply because from the first drafting round it was clear I wouldn't get anyone anywhere near as good. Then Platini came and he had to be slotted in. I'd still argue it was far more balanced and Platini-friendly, particularly if I had gone for Lerby ahead of Schüster (which I didn't because no one seemed to give a shit about it, let alone know much about Lerby, or Schuster for that matter).

antohan

I stand by it - that midfield was the sex.
It was sexual on paper. It was just really fecking hard to work out how it would play together. You would sit there look at it and wonder who would be the outstanding player. Platini? Rivaldo? Xavi? Moreno? And the more you tried to work it out, the more you realised you had no clear idea how it would work in practice.

At the other end I had a setup which looked a bit meh, but you could see what everyone was doing and contributing clearly. The more the game wore on arguing over Nordahl vs. Erico, the more time was spent not trying to disentangle how it worked. Confusion on strikers set the scene, your midfield didn't clear up the confusion, mine did a fair bit. All I needed to do then was bring on Rivelino, place Henry upfront and make it all look sexy AND effective for a last push on the dithering/confused voters.

Game over.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They're all relevant IMO mate - the last one of course is the most similar, but it's pretty much a replica. As close as you'll get in these things anyway, it's extremely similar. Even down to the workaholic side midfielders and the staggered winger/striker front two.

The other two are relevant as well though - Xavi plays a similar role to Pirlo, particularly if he's played in a midfield two, so he would be liable to the same criticisms here I.e needlessly picking the ball of the centre backs and what have you.

Same for the other one, between them Falcao, Schuster and Passarella are going to do far, far more passing from deep positions than Pirlo would. You can forget Schuster entirely, Falcao and Passarella alone would do more than Pirlo. I'm not sure what you need Platini dropping deep to the centre backs for when you have Passarella, Falcao and Schuster in the side.
Well, I won't get dragged into a debate over the possible virtues and weaknesses of those teams, as I did not compose them myself - and would not have, I think.

But there are significant differences between them, in terms of the roles which the players who do (as I take it) what Pirlo does (for you) play: Passarella, for one, would be more like a Scirea in the Juve set-up. Pirlo isn't a defensively sound player at all, he just lays deep. His usefulness in a purely defensive sense is negligible. So, the set-up with Passarella in it is clearly very different.

Xavi is a different sort of player too. He is much more adept than Pirlo at playing a withdrawn (not positionally but in terms of creative input), keep-it-ticking game than Pirlo is and, not least, much better at making a nuisance of himself, pressing and so forth.

It's back to the last one again, then - with Pep, who does look like a Pirlo'esque sort of player in that set-up. I don't like it very much, to be honest. I think Pep looks a bit superfluous there, just like Pirlo does for you, though there are differences between Pep and Pirlo too, obviously.

Pep was great in his role for Barca, but a) he isn't identical to Pirlo in terms of playing style and b) the best offensive orchestrator/playmaker he played with was not like Platini (who was much more fond of dropping deep than Laudrup was).

Annahnomoss

Well it's a funny question considering the way he's been used here previously.

Gio - who knows his football - played Platini with a deep lying playmaker in Xavi.

antohan switched to this formation with Platini - not one, not two, not three, but four playmakers in this team. Somehow Pirlo is causing all kinds of issues picking the ball up from the centre backs, but Passarella, Falcao and Schuster doing the same is wonderful.

And here is the false 9 set up that Balu loved - which is apparently completely different to the system we have here now of course.

Great post mate.

antohan

Great post mate.
Find it strange that you don't get it since you appreciate how Platini excelled at starting moves from deep, playing on runners like Tardelli while he moved up the pitch in tandem. Do you seriously prefer Platini to just sit around upfront instead? What for?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I have to say that I do find it strange that you're so incessant on wanting to play Platini as a #6 in this draft Balu
What the feck gave you that impression? I never said anything like that, ever. You also continue to ignore the actual points I made. I never said that Pirlo and Platini can't co-exist in the same team, but that playing Pirlo means you'll miss out on different qualities you could have in the team and it's not worth it, when you already have someone who offers what Pirlo does while playing as a number 10. If you can't see the difference between what I'm talking about and what you argue against, we really should stop now.

Did I really say I loved it in its final version? I liked the idea to play Platini as a false 9 and mentioned that in the draft thread if I remember correctly. Feel free to post what I wrote back then, I'm not very good with the search function. I certainly didn't praise it in the match thread, if that's what you're suggesting.

Aldo also never was as serious about his own team as you are and said a few times, that he's building a 'fantasy' team with a few flaws.

i'll elaborate further in the tactics, he's a bit specific to the role in this team, specially with the players around him. As I said I don't think this setup will make sense to anyone but me. :D
He then also changed it for the following round to:

Maybe he in fact knew that it was a fun idea, but not necessarily the best way forward?

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You also continue to ignore the actual points I made.

Maybe he in fact knew that it was a fun idea, but not necessarily the best way forward?
Sorry Balu but I'm responding to everything you write so I'm not sure how I'm ignoring your points, whereas you'll only reply to little snippets of what I say.

The part about Kaka for instance was just plain wrong as Rui Costa was a classic example of a playmaker who dropped extremely deep, as I said you could pretty much play him as a midfielder and he worked well with Pirlo.

The general point is that there is nothing wrong having some minor overlap - it happens all the time. It's what happened with lots of great players and I've given lots of examples, not sure what else I can say.

Team Aldo

But Aldo didn't move away from the false 9 idea? The above was his final formation, so you're off there. And I'm not seeing a huge difference with Platini and Guardiola yet you had no issues with the two of them in that game. As I said, seems like you're just looking to criticise/changing your views.

You came pretty close to the team that I wanted to build when I started the bidding war with you for Platini at the beginning of this draft. So it felt wrong to vote against my own idea, but yeah, it wasn't enough for a comeback. Got lucky there, almost missed the deadline.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Sorry Balu but I'm responding to everything you write so I'm not sure how I'm ignoring your points, whereas you'll only reply to little snippets of what I say.
Maybe you shouldn't start your posts by putting words in my mouth. Surely you can see how that makes it slightly annoying for me? I agree that Rui Costa is a better example than Kaka, but that's not how you said you want Platini to play. To quote that part of your post in full:

This makes no sense by the way. Why is Platini not there anymore? If Pirlo picks the ball up from the centre backs then Platini will be in the final third ready to receive a pass and 'do something with it'. I'm not sure why having Pirlo in the team suddenly makes Platini disappear.

And that's the way I would rather have it, by the way. The whole, 'if you need Pirlo, Platini will do it' - I don't think anyone wants Platini to do it, bar yourself. If you ask people I am quite sure the majority would prefer Pirlo doing the deep lying work leaving Platini free to get on the ball and receive passes in more dangerous positions. It's a no brainer IMO.
I don't think I misinterpreted your words by just quoting the snippet that perfectly summed it up.

It also leads to the question if Rui Costa ever had the same influence on the game as he had at Fiorentina? Personally I don't think Costa ever reached his peak form at Milan, he was still good in his first two years, but was benched soon enough for Kaka, who was the way better fit for the team when Pirlo's influence on the team grew and grew. The whole Rui Costa vs Kaka situation at Milan actually shows perfectly that the problems some of us have with Pirlo and Platini in the same midfield are very real and that a different kind of number 10 is a better fit, if you want to play a diamond with Pirlo pulling the strings from deep.

But Aldo didn't move away from the false 9 idea? The above was his final formation, so you're off there. And I'm not seeing a huge difference with Platini and Guardiola yet you had no issues with the two of them in that game. As I said, seems like you're just looking to criticise/changing your views.
He did for the next game and had to go back to it for the semifinal because he sold his only striker without realising that he can't buy a new one. I'm not sure how deeply you followed the draft back then, but Aldo's semifinal team was a bit of a self-inflicted clusterfeck and he knew it and made the best out of it. And again, that semifinal line-up you posted is a different set-up, because he had 1. width on both sides, therefore didn't miss out on something important because he played Guardiola and 2. didn't have someone like Puskas upfront, but instead Cristiano Ronaldo making runs behind the defense. Surely you agree that getting the best out of Cristiano and false 9 Platini is different to getting the best out of Puskas and number 10 Platini?

Anyway, it gets a bit silly now. If you want to spend your time discrediting my opinion by quoting old posts out of context instead of actually discussing how your team works, I'm out. Don't worry, I won't bring it up again in the next game, if you want to continue to play Pirlo and Platini together. I've said my opinion on the topic and that's it. (I wouldn't have discussed it at length if the game wasn't over anyway).

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not me, mate - I suspect you quoted the wrong 'un there.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
More importantly, though - wasn't that the match where Aldo had that .gif, with all four up front bouncing around?

Remember that draft well. Aldo did indeed feck himself over - sold Weah (who was working in some sort of foil role for him, not a bad idea actually) to yours truly, who promptly crashed out in the following match, fielding said Weah with zero success.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Not me, mate - I suspect you quoted the wrong 'un there.
He quoted the opening post of the game thread back then and you did in fact create it, so it's the correct quote :). And yes, Aldo created the following gem, but for the quarterfinal, not the semifinal, when he still had Weah in his team:

It was awesome :D

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Maybe you shouldn't start your posts by putting words in my mouth. Surely you can see how that makes it slightly annoying for me? I agree that Rui Costa is a better example than Kaka, but that's not how you said you want Platini to play.

It also leads to the question if Rui Costa ever had the same influence on the game as he had at Fiorentina? Personally I don't think Costa ever reached his peak form at Milan, he was still good in his first two years, but was benched soon enough for Kaka, who was the way better fit for the team when Pirlo's influence on the team grew and grew. The whole Rui Costa vs Kaka situation at Milan actually shows perfectly that the problems some of us have with Pirlo and Platini in the same midfield are very real and that a different kind of number 10 is a better fit, if you want to play a diamond with Pirlo pulling the strings from deep.

He did for the next game and had to go back to it for the semifinal because he sold his only striker without realising that he can't buy a new one. And again, that semifinal line-up you posted is a different set-up, because he had 1. width on both sides, therefore didn't miss out on something important because he played Guardiola and 2. didn't have someone like Puskas upfront, but instead Cristiano Ronaldo making runs behind the defense. Surely you agree that getting the best out of Cristiano and false 9 Platini is different to getting the best out of Puskas and number 10 Platini?
I've never put any words in your mouth Balu and I've replied to every point that you have raised, so I'm not sure what you are upset about there.

But surely you can see how it's a little bit annoying that you're subjecting NM's team to a level of scrutiny which is far beyond being reasonable? It's a very good team and you've taken this tiny little issue (which isn't even an issue for most people) and blown the whole thread up with in.

And surely you can see how it's a little bit annoying that the criticisms that are being raised have pretty much never been raised before? Platini has been used lots in these drafts and I've never seen close to the level of fixation on his deep lying role as is being raised here. I think it's hugely unfair to NM.

And I do not understand what you mean when you say I won't discuss how the team works, as I've written some really long posts talking about why I don't see a problem here? As I said in the last post, the overall point is that there is nothing wrong having some minor overlap between players. It happens all the time and I've given lots of examples in which great players have done the same. So I am really not sure what else I can say?

One example I raised was one that you actually approved off - having Platini and Guardiola in the team. To me that is a good example of a near identical side in which there is an overlap between the two players. Yet for one you have no issues but for the other you'll bang on about how unsuited it is for the entire thread.

For my view I had no issues with Aldo's use of Platini with Guardiola, nor Gio's side when he played Platini with Xavi. Likewise I don't see a problem with Pirlo and Platini because the overlap is relatively unimportant and something which happens often in great teams.

Occasionally Platini will be in the same areas as Xavi, Guardiola or Pirlo - and as I said earlier you just seem to be viewing this as a negative whereas others see them linking up well together, which is not an outrageous view IMO and the more likely scenario given the quality and intelligence of the players.

On Rui Costa – He was 33 years old by the end of his third season at Milan, so that is why he started to decline and eventually gave way to Kaka. I don't think you can draw any conclusions there and I don't think you even need to, because it is obvious that Rui Costa and Pirlo linked up well together from the games that they played.

On Aldo's team - I'm not talking about whether or not Aldo or NM has width, the specific point I am countering is the one that has been fixated on in the thread i.e. whether or not having a regista picking the ball up deep somehow limits Platini. That is the criticism that I have found unfair. It's been banged on about for Pirlo yet it was fine for Guardiola. And additionally, the first team Aldo used had Weah instead of Boniek i.e. only width on one side, but you again did not have a problem.

Whether or not the diamond has enough width is a different conversation and one I'm happy to have in the next game, it's certainly a more legitimate concern in my view but not one that I agree with given the suitability of all of the players.

I do not know what you mean about getting the best out of Puskas/Platini and I hope you're not suggesting that NM is not doing that. Di Stefano had a similar tendency to Platini in dropping extremely deep and is another player who could have played as a pure midfielder, yet Di Stefano and Puskas had no issues.

If you want to spend your time discrediting my opinion by quoting old posts out of context instead of actually discussing how your team works, I'm out.

Don't worry, I won't bring it up again in the next game, if you want to continue to play Pirlo and Platini together. I've said my opinion on the topic and that's it. (I wouldn't have discussed it at length if the game wasn't over anyway).
I apologise for being frank but you can catch yourself on with this part Balu. If you think you have been discredited then that is due to the way in which you have changed your views. Nothing has been taken out of context there, I've no qualms in bringing up your opinion of Platini/Guardiola in a discussion on Platini/Pirlo.

On the last part, it's okay you can bring it up if you want again and quite clearly the damage has been done anyway. Whoever NM draws in the next round would be a fool not to bang on about this, given the way the discussion has dominated his game.

NM

@Balu @Theon let's chill out.

I don't take these drafts particularly seriously. It's supposed to be fun and games!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm all for chilling. I wouldn't even know what to answer to all those weird accusations, if I wanted to. Good luck for the next few rounds, I doubt you need it with the team you have, because it's awesome, but just in case.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
By the way, this Platini/Pirlo debate may very well resurface in the next round - but if it does, I'd say it's because it seems to be a genuinely divisive point of discussion. This wasn't something which popped up in the match thread as a mere whim on the part of Balu (or anto - or whoever first brought it up in that particular thread): It was mentioned as a potential issue as soon as Pirlo got drafted - by several people.

It's a legitimate - and not an uninteresting - discussion. But it shouldn't be allowed to overshadow everything else, of course.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's a legitimate - and not an uninteresting - discussion. But it shouldn't be allowed to overshadow everything else, of course.
It's a minor discussion which was blown up beyond belief. The trouble for NM was that his team lacked any other real flaws, so the debate just revolved around that.

I agree it's interesting though, albeit on the assumption that it's discussed reasonably. I would say that some comments in here were not reasonable however and I think that's the pertinent point. The fact that this issue has never been raised before in similar circumstances adds to the strangeness of the whole situation, particularly when they are now raised in such a militant fashion.

But aye there can be a discussion on whether an overlap between two playmakers is a problem - I would say that it's not - but I could imagine that being a fruitful discussion if held in check.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not necessarily a minor point. It has to do with a pretty fundamental difference in how one regards the, say, dynamics of a team that fields two players of this ilk at the same time. To me, at least, the debate showed this very clearly. I didn't take it as petty nitpicking - more as a reflection of very different takes on how you compose a well functioning side. Which is why the debate was interesting - to me, at least. If it were just a trifle blown out of proportion, it would merit no further comment.

But this ain't the time nor place for it - I guess we may see the topic revisited at some point.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
For what it's worth, I don't think either of my two comments on the first page could in any way be described as "raised in a militant fashion", they aren't even critical of NM's team overall. I just answered MJJ's question after the game was all but over and I actually praised Hamrin's role in the team and wrote what a fantastic fit he is.

Annahnomoss

For what it's worth, I don't think either of my two comments on the first page could in any way be described as "raised in a militant fashion", they aren't even critical of NM's team overall. I just answered MJJ's question after the game was all but over and I actually praised Hamrin's role in the team and wrote what a fantastic fit he is.
:lol: Had me laughing. You are the least aggressive poster about pretty much, even if your dad was obsessed with Hugo Boss you couldn't be raised in a militant fashion.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
:lol: Had me laughing. You are the least aggressive poster about pretty much, even if your dad was obsessed with Hugo Boss you couldn't be raised in a militant fashion.
No, I'm evil, evil. Don't destroy my new image, I love it. Evil!!!!

antohan

It's a minor discussion which was blown up beyond belief. The trouble for NM was that his team lacked any other real flaws, so the debate just revolved around that.

I agree it's interesting though, albeit on the assumption that it's discussed reasonably. I would say that some comments in here were not reasonable however and I think that's the pertinent point. The fact that this issue has never been raised before in similar circumstances adds to the strangeness of the whole situation, particularly when they are now raised in such a militant fashion.

But aye there can be a discussion on whether an overlap between two playmakers is a problem - I would say that it's not - but I could imagine that being a fruitful discussion if held in check.
It was raised all the way back when he was picked and many were of the same opinion. It's not like Balu brought it up out of nowhere, let alone in a context where it could have any discernible impact on the outcome. You have just stubbornly refused to listen throughout, that's why it gets increasingly elaborate and detailed.

And no, none of the circumstances raised are remotely similar. It has been pointed how they are NOT similar yet you persist on this line of argument bringing up Xavi, Rui Costa and whatnot. All rubbish points. The only case where there's some grounds for it is Guardiola, but even then there's significant differences, as has been explained many times over.

As usual, you turn this into a guilt trip banging on about how it's unfair on NM and so on. Well no, it isn't unfair, there has been plenty of time to discuss this, it has been discussed at length, and if it keeps rearing its head it's purely a result of the refusal to do feck all about it. I'm not saying you should do it to shut people up, but you certainly can't complain that if you carry on ignoring people they carry on complaining. It's one or the other really and it is up to you and NM to choose which one it is. Your choice, nothing unfair about the predictable outcome, YOU choose to put up with it.

NM

Can all of you just stop already. fecking hell. This is why I stopped taking part in drafts sometime back.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Why do people keep saying I brought it up? Page 1 is only one click away, ffs :lol:. No wonder you guys have to write such lengthy redundant posts all the time if you can't remember what was written 2 pages ago.

MJJ

Why do people keep saying I brought it up? Page 1 is only one click away, ffs :lol:. No wonder you guys have to write such lengthy redundant posts all the time if you can't remember what was written 2 pages ago.
Yup, you didnt really mention this. It all started because I was curious to learn more about platinis role. Wasnt expecting people to get this hostile though.

kps88

We should close completed match threads. Save the discussion for the next match or take it to the general draft thread. Otherwise you get too many matches clogging up the football forum and you're taking potential voters away from the active games.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

There is a difference between just tearing it apart for the sake of it and comparing to it to the opponents midfield.

Can the midfield work? Of course it fecking can and to a very high level. It is not dysfunctional, Pirlo and Platini are super intelligent. It is just if it came up against a similar midfield in terms of quality but that midfield was more balanced. . It would draw attention.

In this particular match up I don't really get why the issie drew so much attention as it was more than sufficient for this particular match up.

antohan

In this particular match up I don't really get why the issie drew so much attention as it was more than sufficient for this particular match up.
It was completely irrelevant to this game, which was all but over. There was some discussion about Platini-Pirlo largely as part of the customary "how you can improve going forward" discussions, particularly when the game hadn't put NM under any pressure that would make him learn stuff.

Long after Theon shows up putting the wrong arguments in other people's mouths, and that is what escalated it.

It's actually quite funny @NM, the raging discussions were both triggered by posts of yours. Surely you are aware you're stoking fires before eventually coming back to ask people to make their peace? It's like you unleash the attack dog, then tell him he is a bad boy, and everyone else too for getting in a fight with him.

As you can see lads, if you say anything bad about Pirlo, Theon gets mad.

Very, very mad.

Now you know why I picked him! :lol:
@Theon kicking ass and taking names :drool:
My new mental image of you two: