Sheep draft - NoPace vs Edgar Allan Pillow

Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Personally I would have played Beckam in a tucked in third midfielder role and driving forward or to the right flank to get in crosses ala Di Maria. Gives the midfield trio of sorts more solidity via Becks industry and presence whilst allowing Toure and esp Liedholm more freedom as well.

Would have also played Rummenigge on his inside right role cutting in. You'd ideally want powerful and direct runners from out wide against EAP's 3 CB set up (with Rummenigge doing a better job than Becks in this regard) and more midfield runners to capitalize on the chaos that the wide runners produce (a deep lying midfield duo is hardly going to help).

VivaJanuzaj

I bet NoPace doesn't know what to do here, I agree it's EAP's fight that really makes you want to vote for him.. If EAP will win this, he'll be a real force for next rounds, so many GOATs!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Why is Nils supposed to be so static? Did @NoPace specifically say he would sit deep at all times and just ping balls? Genuine question, can't be arsed to re-read the whole thing.
I got it from the below quotes from OP.

Liedholm and Yaya will NOT have the full license to go forward that they did in their best goalscoring years, but are still decent secondary goal threats and very capable of scoring after Sanchez and Rummennigge cause hurried clearances or last-ditch tackles.

-Toure and Liedholm will focus on cutting off supply to Baggio and Ancelotti.

I’m sitting fairly deep and looking to hit my strikers

This game should be ugly. By focusing on early balls into my strikers and leaving my players deep and numerous enough to cut off EAP’s counter-ing game (which I would concede is tremendous with Jairzinho, Muller and Baggio’s pace on the break), I can win 1-0 or 2-1.
I took it that Liedholm will mostly be operating from deep. Without a full roaming licence, he is restricted to a area and so more easier for Pantsil. I don't expect Pantsil to take him out of the game completely. Just enough nuisance factor to disrupt a smooth game.

antohan

Agreed, but I can see a point in the game where the ball is out right with Beckham and Angloma and Tshabalala is in the box being marked by Desailly and Camacho realizes the whole left-side of the box is open with only a switched off Jairzinho between him and the goal.

Camacho won't come forward a lot, but when he does, it should be profitable. When Jairzinho is on Tshabalala, Camacho can confidently step forward, totally unmolested. I think he and Angloma will be able to start attacks and hit crosses or balls into Sanchez and Rummennigge while being fairly unmolested.
Desailly would just drop Tshabalala's "detail".

I think you should seriously consider Joga's points. Sort of:

NoPace

I think it looks like that already, except I figured Rummennige would be more dangerous starting from the center-left rather than center-right, since he's then a greater threat to Beckham's crosses, but I always imagined Rummennigge in a free role, going wide to run at the CB's. He's got the platform to do so, with my banks of 4 behind him.

I do envision Liedholm having to drop a bit deeper than usual since EAP has built a narrow and frontloaded side. If his 2 strikers are up against my CB's and Muller is playing as a 10 marked by Yaya and Camacho is on Jairzinho and Angloma on Rocco, then it only seems natural for Liedholm (and Beckham and Tshabalala) to help out a bit.

EAP's attack is strong and numerous. Liedholm, Toure, Camacho and Angloma will not be constantly bombing forward, but they are smart, skilled and mobile enough to cause massive problems and deliver the telling pass when they do.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Exactly this. Liedholm and Becks would make terrific side mids with their industry and vision whilst being excellent in wider areas as well. Toure also less burdened defensively and will be afforded more freedom. Rummenigge with his powerful runs from the channels/out wide, causing chaos and helping to take the heat off Sanchez.

Basically makes his system more fluid and makes EAP's job of coping with it a lot harder, without particular defensive width and a meh halfback duo.

Anyway I'll leave it at that as I don't really want to influence the match esp when it's already so close. It's harsh on EAP but I was paired with NoPace for the injury round and had to work out how his team would have set up. So just gave my thoughts on that and I do feel for him as he has several underappreciated players.

NoPace

And my biggest advantage, is that I have a far better opportunity:score ratio. With such a high conversion ratio, I can outscore him.
This is much less dramatic than you make it out to be. Sanchez and Rummennige have better goal records than anyone on youer team but Gerd Muller and Beckham, Liedholm and Toure all have 16+ goal seasons. I have 5 serious goal threats and you have 4.

More importantly, I have a team that can get the ball to my strikers. Yours will have significantly less service.

And I still don't see how your team isn't losing possession and struggling to deal with the subsequent breaks and poor defensive transitions with the middle 4 of Rocco-Ancelotti-Pantsil-Jairzinho, of whom only player was comfortable on the ball (Jairzinho), one defensively (Ancelotti).

I've got a solid team in a coherent setup with a left-winger who isn't that good. Your side is begging to get hit on the break.

NoPace

You just can't leave a professional footballer unmarked in the box, can you? Tshabalala has 12 goals for South Africa and some 1 in 3 seasons at club level.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
A midfielder, hand picked by one of the best managers ever to pull strings from the middle.
A midfielder who has pulled his weight in one of most successful club teams ever.
A midfielder who has 2 European Cups, 3 Serie A titles, 5 Copa Italia titles and a WC Bronze medal.

Underwhelming, yeah! He is not exactly the fanciest names, but definitely not one to be underrated.
You've done well to distract people from the fact the emperor has no feckin' clothes so far, I'll give you that.

Ancelotti is very underwhelming GIVEN THE CONTEXT, is what I said. And he fecking well is, no matter how many fairytales you manage to stuff down people's throats. A midfield duo of Ancelotti and Paintsil indeed. It's not underwhelming, it's utter shite - and there it is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think it looks like that already...
Close enough, at least. You could update the formation pic if you think it'd make a difference - never know. To me, though, it would be a pretty much cosmetic change. It's obvious that Beckham isn't a standard, line hugging winger and that Rummenigge does a fair bit of drifting - but hey, if what it takes is a very visual representation, then why not.

NoPace

Close enough, at least. You could update the formation pic if you think it'd make a difference - never know. To me, though, it would be a pretty much cosmetic change. It's obvious that Beckham isn't a standard, line hugging winger and that Rummenigge does a fair bit of drifting - but hey, if what it takes is a very visual representation, then why not.
I don't think I can edit the post, but how about this:

HALFTIME CHANGES:
1. RUMMENNIGGE IS INSTRUCTED TO DRIFT AND LOOK FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO GET WIDE AND RUN AT EAP'S DEFENDERS.

2. BECKHAM IS INSTRUCTED TO TUCK IN A BIT SO AS TO SOMETIMES COVER FOR LIEDHOLM'S RUNS FORWARD.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think it looks like that already, except I figured Rummennige would be more dangerous starting from the center-left rather than center-right, since he's then a greater threat to Beckham's crosses, but I always imagined Rummennigge in a free role, going wide to run at the CB's. He's got the platform to do so, with my banks of 4 behind him.

I do envision Liedholm having to drop a bit deeper than usual since EAP has built a narrow and frontloaded side. If his 2 strikers are up against my CB's and Muller is playing as a 10 marked by Yaya and Camacho is on Jairzinho and Angloma on Rocco, then it only seems natural for Liedholm (and Beckham and Tshabalala) to help out a bit.

EAP's attack is strong and numerous. Liedholm, Toure, Camacho and Angloma will not be constantly bombing forward, but they are smart, skilled and mobile enough to cause massive problems and deliver the telling pass when they do.

On the bolded bit above, even if Liedholm gets passes through Sanchez/KhR, they have the wall of Desailly-Baresi-Montero (plus shielding of Ancelotti) to get through. As Joga mentions, it is not an easy route by any means.

Thing thing is Becks, Yaya and Liedholm are all sitting deep. They won't have the same attacking threat as when they have a free role, a point which you conceded in the OP. My counter will be far more productive than yours.

Simply put Jairzinho will cause enough problems to Camacho that he would need the CB to pitch in and help.

NoPace

You've done well to distract people from the fact the emperor has no feckin' clothes so far, I'll give you that.

Ancelotti is very underwhelming GIVEN THE CONTEXT, is what I said. And he fecking well is, no matter how many fairytales you manage to stuff down people's throats. A midfield duo of Ancelotti and Paintsil indeed. It's not underwhelming, it's utter shite - and there it is.
Thank you. In real life, you can't just throw out a shitty fullback/midfield situation and succeed unless you sit deep enough that you're just defending in numbers and counting on your strikers to create on the break. United fans should know this better than most.

You can't play coherent, 2-way football with 3 strikers, 3 centerbacks and between them guys like Rocco, Ancelotti and Pantsil. Jairzinho can start from deeper than usual and help build attacks on the right, but he's not going to give a feck defensively, is he?

NoPace

New Formation:

Hat tip to Joga and Antohan for the advice.

antohan

Difference being you already have Tshabalala on the left and you want to pull Montero wide. Beckham won't do that, Kalle will, expertly in fact. Then watch Beckham arrive on the edge of the box unmarked...

Him helping out a bit when not in possession doesn't mean you don't want him to slalom run through the middle when in possession. His only challenge is Pantsil FFS, you can't NOT exploit that.

antohan

Exactly this. Liedholm and Becks would make terrific side mids with their industry and vision whilst being excellent in wider areas as well. Toure also less burdened defensively and will be afforded more freedom. Rummenigge with his powerful runs from the channels/out wide, causing chaos and helping to take the heat off Sanchez.

Basically makes his system more fluid and makes EAP's job of coping with it a lot harder, without particular defensive width and a meh halfback duo.

Anyway I'll leave it at that as I don't really want to influence the match esp when it's already so close. It's harsh on EAP but I was paired with NoPace for the injury round and had to work out how his team would have set up. So just gave my thoughts on that and I do feel for him as he has several underappreciated players.
Your beloved Chump-ito for starters ;)

antohan

:lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Tbh, I think the new formation helps me more. Highlights his defensive weakness more.

Camacho is a good defender, but he will be hard pressed to stop a prime Jairzinho. He would need KhForster for support and that would open spaces for Muller.
Similarly on the other side, a drifting Baggio and Muller will definitely combine with have joy. Yaya is not a defensive pivot to provide that kind of shielding.

antohan

Why are you going focusing on 'sitting deep', 'cutting out' etc and constraining your creative midfielders when you can very well take the initiative and target his halfback duo and his lack of defensive width?
If anyone ever wanted to understand the meaning of shellshocked, I would point them to this thread and the knee-jerk tactics in it. It is indeed a game to take the initiative and put your rival under immense pressure, not one to try fluke a goal ont he break. EAP will score once either way, arguably more if it's a soak and counter approach (not set up to do that effectively). The question is whether NoPace can muster a brace, which he won't just appealing to great passing from deep.

antohan

Tbh, I think the new formation helps me more. Highlights his defensive weakness more.

Camacho is a good defender, but he will be hard pressed to stop a prime Jairzinho. He would need KhForster for support and that would open spaces for Muller.
Similarly on the other side, a drifting Baggio and Muller will definitely combine with have joy. Yaya is not a defensive pivot to provide that kind of shielding.
Rocco's new artistic name is Havejoy?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
If anyone ever wanted to understand the meaning of shellshocked, I would point them to this thread and the knee-jerk tactics in it. It is indeed a game to take the initiative and put your rival under immense pressure, not one to try fluke a goal ont he break. EAP will score once either way, arguably more if it's a soak and counter approach (not set up to do that effectively). The question is whether NoPace can muster a brace, which he won't just appealing to great passing from deep.

Edit my post out of it mate. Just deleted mine. Too harsh on EAP (and NoPace as well :lol:) I don't want him to think I'm ganging up on him or anything but I just wanted to reply to Chester that it wasn't just merely the formation pic that was the issue.

NoPace

Why I didn't go in that direction:

1. When a team is as set up to be murdered on the counter as EAP's is (by having technically deficient players, players who won't track back/aren't clever defensively and a high-risk tactical system), you let them come forward a bit then press, you don't spread the game out.

2. Baggio and Jairzinho would be scary in a completely wide-open game.

3. Liedholm, Toure and Beckham are all good enough passers to create chances for the attackers without being on the edge of the box and my strikers were great at getting on the end of longer passes. I can generate lots of offense without sacrificing solidity.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Well, as mentioned in OP he is playing a 'sitting deep and trying to hit the strikers' strategy. You can't have expect to sit deep and have bulk possession.
I don't expect him to have a stranglehold on possession, but I would expect his midfielders to use the ball far better than your midfield. I'd expect possession to shift alot in this match.

Neither Liedholm or Yaya are DM's in strictest sense. Putting two DLP's together and expecting a defensive shield is not going to work, not against my attack. If both Nils and Yaya are sitting deep, then you expect Beckham and maybe Rummenigge to drop deeper to pick up balls, which dilutes the attacking threat.

Finally despite his advantage in midfield, his 2 front men have to navigate through my defensive 5 to score. And here Ancelotti and Pantsil have been regular DM's and not out of their depth here. Behind them 2 is my fantastic back 3. I really don't see how he'll score here. Expecting Nils to deliver long pass from downfield all to the box? Or Beckham to get the ball, beat Rocco and deliver crosses with Baresi getting beaten?
Granted neither Liedholm or Toure are strict Makelele types, but they bring differing and complementary attributes to their partnership. Toure in that deeper role isn't really easy to characterise, but he certainly wasn't a pure DLP. He brought a tonne of physicality to the role and could break up play with the best of them. Nopace has said "Liedholm and Yaya will NOT have the full license to go forward that they did in their best goalscoring years, but are still decent secondary goal threats and very capable of scoring after Sanchez and Rummennigge cause hurried clearances or last-ditch tackles" and that's actually a very reasonable vision of how this would pan out. Pantsil not being out of his depth is far less reasonable to be honest. And Beckham doesn't need to dribble past Rocco, although he's hardly incapable of doing that. If every bang-average wide midfielder was able to dilute his threat llike your suggesting, he wouldn't have been one of the world's most productive players from his position at his peak.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Toure in that deeper role isn't really easy to characterise, but he certainly wasn't a pure DLP. He brought a tonne of physicality to the role and could break up play with the best of them.
If a weaker team decides to park the bus and just put players behind the ball, the strongest team might find it difficult to break them down. Eventually they will if they manage to keep consistent pressure, but it'll definitely not be a waltz. Here I have 5 men in defensive duties, 6 if you include the negative tactics of Rocco. By playing a sitting deep tactics he will not be able to exert continuous pressure needed to break down my defence. Agreed, it is not an overwhelming defence, but it still has enough GOAT defenders to make the numbers game work in my favour, at worst break even.

I would count Jairzinho vs Camacho to be in my favour too unless Forster is ready to assist him. I Muller and Baggio I have 2 players who are comfortable drifting in middle and flanks and I don't think both of them could be effectively covered by Toure. I definitely see my attack convert more opportunities here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The problem is that your attack (Müller-Baggio-Müller) seems like they're adrift in a sea of their own. Jairzinho doesn't look like a proper part of either attack or midfield - and he is the only thing resembling a proper link here.

You have no direction or leadership in that midfield section. The best proper midfielder you sport is a natural side kick whose best football consisted of anonymously keeping it ticking as part of a team machinery.

You claim that your edge here is "strength through the middle" - which is a bit hard to see. It's more like "strength at the back and up front and a huge, feckin' hole in the middle".

It's a team with so serious flaws that it simply won't do to try and play the numbers game - or anything of the sort. You need a minimum of quality in order to win this match - and you don't have it. NoPace's team isn't perfect, Yaya and Liedholm ain't ideal given the nature of your front men - all very true. But it's not decisive. He doesn't have to field a perfect team in order to win this match.

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Applaud Edgar's effort here and he's done far better with those sheep than I thought he would, but those two halfbacks are an awful pairing.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm still confused what Müller light, as antohan put it, is supposed to do here.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
If a weaker team decides to park the bus and just put players behind the ball, the strongest team might find it difficult to break them down. Eventually they will if they manage to keep consistent pressure, but it'll definitely not be a waltz. Here I have 5 men in defensive duties, 6 if you include the negative tactics of Rocco. By playing a sitting deep tactics he will not be able to exert continuous pressure needed to break down my defence. Agreed, it is not an overwhelming defence, but it still has enough GOAT defenders to make the numbers game work in my favour, at worst break even.

I would count Jairzinho vs Camacho to be in my favour too unless Forster is ready to assist him. I Muller and Baggio I have 2 players who are comfortable drifting in middle and flanks and I don't think both of them could be effectively covered by Toure. I definitely see my attack convert more opportunities here.
5 or 6 men in defensive roles doesn't remotely count as 'park the bus' style tactics though. At the very least that requires 8+ players generally stayng behind the ball except on counters, and an organised shape. What you have is a brilliant three man defence, a supremely talented but not particularly hard-working or deep-roaming attack, and an abyss between those two units, with fecking Pantsil given a key tactical role in making it work!

A big part of your argument has been Rocco and Pantsil denying space to Beckham and Liedholm respectively, and frankly it just doesn't work. If players of Beckham and Liedholm's calibre could be neutralised by the likes of Rocco and feckin Pantsil then, well, they wouldn't be players of that calibre.

You're doing a fantastic job by the way here mate, and given the scoreline that's why a bunch of us are ganging up on you :lol:. You've become a bit of a master at selling some unlikely arguments!

VivaJanuzaj

I think Edgar has done a great job hiding the sheep away from the scan voters, they really don't pop up to the eye as much as two Mullers, Baggio, Baresi, Desailly and co.

MJJ

:lol:

antohan

I think Edgar has done a great job hiding the sheep away from the scan voters, they really don't pop up to the eye as much as two Mullers, Baggio, Baresi, Desailly and co.
Teamsheets 101. Some teams just lose because they are completely careless in how they display things. If you have two sheep and aa gaping hole int he middle just make it all sufficiently compact, no big distances between the lines, etc. When I played 3-2-3-2 I spread my wingers wide to make space for everyone. Why? Because they were all bloody good players. Now, imagine the impact of stranding Rocco all the way out wide on the left or having Ancelotti-Pantsil with any sort of significant gap between them and the defence!