Sheep Draft Q/F: Enigma/TRV vs Edgar

Who will win this match based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
A classic FB like Nilton would play right into Gentie's hands, but a free role LB like Junior would be far more difficult to handle
I disagree. You have Signori already forcing Gentile to stay tucked in. Nilton flanking out and Signori cutting in would have been too much for Gentile to handle IMO.

Junior, I am not sure will add too much to Gentile's worries.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I disagree. You have Signori already forcing Gentile to stay tucked in. Nilton flanking out and Signori cutting in would have been too much for Gentile to handle IMO.

Junior, I am not sure will add too much to Gentile's worries.
I think Signori himself will be tough for Gentile, far less adding Junior to the equation. Also Juinor's impact will not be on Gentile alone.

It's not like Junior will never overlap. He prefer to cut in, but is well capable of providing overlapping width if necessary. If Gentile cuts in too much, Junior is tactically intelligent players to go wide and create the width.

@Moby @P-Nut0712

This is not a who builds a better Zona Mista competition. In a actual football game you need to look at attack vs defence between teams.

Mackay is underwhelming choice at this stage of game and I've never been a fan of Yaya's defensive poweress. They are facing Platini and a cutting in Junior who'll overload the field...and this is something their midfield cannot really handle. Their midfield will never be able to impose on this game.

On flip side you have Zidane facing off against one of the greatest DMs of all time in Makelele. And Senna is classy enough to take care of Yaya's forward runs.

I think my attack will have more joy against his defence than vice versa...and this is what gives me the winning edge.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Close teams, but Platini in that position without anyone dedicated to stop him will win this game imo. He never really gets his due credit and in a situation with little resistance he should be treated as GOAT dominating the game.

Enigma_87

You know who
Close teams, but Platini in that position without anyone dedicated to stop him will win this game imo. He never really gets his due credit and in a situation with little resistance he should be treated as GOAT dominating the game.
Come on mate. We have Scirea as a libero and Mackay minding that space it’s not like he’ll be unchallenged here. We also have two of the best stoppers in the game. Our defense is stacked as it gets.

He comes in very congested space as well.

Not sure the base is well suited to dovetail him as both Senna and Makelele are way too similar and lack pace.

Puskas who is also a goat and Zidane in that area are even more dangerous.

Seems no one cares about keepers in tight matches. We might as well pick random names just to stick them on goal.

It’s not like Makelele or Cannavaro will stop Zidane and Puskas either.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
In a nutshell!

Come on mate. We have Scirea as a libero and Mackay minding that space it’s not like he’ll be unchallenged here. We also have two of the best stoppers in the game. Our defense is stacked as it gets.

He comes in very congested space as well.

Not sure the base is well suited to dovetail him as both Senna and Makelele are way too similar and lack pace.

Puskas who is also a goat and Zidane in that area are even more dangerous.

Seems no one cares about keepers in tight matches. We might as well pick random names just to stick them on goal.

It’s not like Makelele or Cannavaro will stop Zidane and Puskas either.
I'd still take Platini facing Mackay vs Zidane facing Makelele to make a better impact. Also Senna adds lot more defensive nous than Toure. Platini is best placed to run this game.

Signori has played left forward successfully and left winger with relatively less success. This is a role that resembles his club role more and he's familiar. Puskas on other hand always had left wingers and is a relatively central player. Though he can do the job, it won't be close to peak ... Not even close.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
By the way, is 1,35 tackles and 0,8 interceptions per game a good stat for a box-to-box midfielder?
Pogba's career average is 1.9 and 1, and he's generally considered a lazy player.
Kante's career average is 3.7 and 2.8, for example.

Enigma_87

You know who
In a nutshell!

I'd still take Platini facing Mackay vs Zidane facing Makelele to make a better impact. Also Senna adds lot more defensive nous than Toure. Platini is best placed to run this game.

Signori has played left forward successfully and left winger with relatively less success. This is a role that resembles his club role more and he's familiar. Puskas on other hand always had left wingers and is a relatively central player. Though he can do the job, it won't be close to peak ... Not even close.
Still your attack doesn’t utilize the players to their best. Whatever you put it you have 3 forwards on the pitch and Platini.

There is much more space to operate within our attack compared to yours. Not to mention that neither Jairzinho nor Signori excelled in such set up. You don’t have much width coming from your full backs.

I’ve posted how Zeman 4-3-3 looked on the previous page and it’s far more different role to what you have here.

Enigma_87

You know who
By the way, is 1,35 tackles and 0,8 interceptions per game a good stat for a box-to-box midfielder?
Pogba's career average is 1.9 and 1, and he's generally considered a lazy player.
Kante's career average is 3.7 and 2.8, for example.
City were the dominant team though. The stats goes to show how he adds in both phases and no doubt IMO that if it wasn’t for Suarez having freak of a season Yaya would sweep all the awards that year.

Yo me his peak is higher than Senna’s for example especially in a box to box role both are playing here.

Any view on Makelele and Senna together? Seems a bit odd pairing to me.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
City were the dominant team though. The stats goes to show how he adds in both phases and no doubt IMO that if it wasn’t for Suarez having freak of a season Yaya would sweep all the awards that year.

Yo me his peak is higher than Senna’s for example especially in a box to box role both are playing here.

It is a little odd but for me Toure-Mackay is more off as a platform for Zidane than Makelele-Senna is as a platform for Platini.
The problem for me is Mackay was more an old school all arounder as a CM who played with a more conservative partner in positioning (Blanchflower). While Toure's peak in City he had little defensive responsibility and even at peak I don't really think he played with the discipline associated with an Italian zona mista type side. So while Senna-Makelele definitely seems boring and uninspiring, as a platform for Platini and as a counter for a mercurial talent like Zidane I think its more well suited to the match up.

I will say that I haven't voted because I do think Greaves-Puskas shooting at Weidenfelter means you don't need as many shots as Signori-Law will need shooting at Preud'.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Still your attack doesn’t utilize the players to their best. Whatever you put it you have 3 forwards on the pitch and Platini.
He had Boniek, Rossi and Bettega ahead of him in real life. I don't see this being much different dynamic. Signori was left forward in a 4-3-3 and Platini is not a in-the-hole traditional #10. His ability to drop deep as a spine of his own gives Signori plenty of space to move in centrally and when he does drifts wide, Platini is always there to move up and score. You're forgetting Law who's prefers to operate as Right IF and will open space for another proven goalscorer in Jairzinho.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Yeah, he was obviously a better player than Senna. But still a bit lazy-ish.

There's nothing wrong with that pairing and Makelele is a good upgrade on Furino/Bonini etc.; the problem with Senna is that he just isn't that great, especially considering that the likes of Platini, Zidane and Puskas are on the pitch with him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

There's nothing wrong with that pairing and Makelele is a good upgrade on Furino/Bonini etc.; the problem with Senna is that he just isn't that great, especially considering that the likes of Platini, Zidane and Puskas are on the pitch with him.
Yeah, he'd sue for upgrade should I go through....Would have preferred a more dynamic b2b there but then in this match, his downsides are really not much. Between them, Zidane will have a tough time threading the passes to Greaves. He's also right there in the left IF area Puskas love so much and Puskas has to push wider to find space which is not really he's comfortable with. He cuts across to crucial Puskas/Zidane route and his tactical intelligence and positioning will stop easy access to that route.

His job is to recycle to Platini and cut off passing routes for opposition and he's well placed to do both.

He's also have played well with Xavi/Iniesta etc, so won't be over-rawed in this company.

Enigma_87

You know who
It is a little odd but for me Toure-Mackay is more off as a platform for Zidane than Makelele-Senna is as a platform for Platini.
The problem for me is Mackay was more an old school all arounder as a CM who played with a more conservative partner in positioning (Blanchflower). While Toure's peak in City he had little defensive responsibility and even at peak I don't really think he played with the discipline associated with an Italian zona mista type side. So while Senna-Makelele definitely seems boring and uninspiring, as a platform for Platini and as a counter for a mercurial talent like Zidane I think its more well suited to the match up.

I will say that I haven't voted because I do think Greaves-Puskas shooting at Weidenfelter means you don't need as many shots as Signori-Law will need shooting at Preud'.
Blanchflower was the playmaker and Mackay the one with more defensive functions. He played in a midfield two and here we have Scirea stepping up as well.

Yaya was world class ah his peak and definitely the better midfielder compared to Senna, whilst Mackay is upgrade to Fernandinho in every sense.

Our midfield is more complimentary IMO.

As for the keeper is pretty obvious that Weidenfeller is the weakest player on the park.

He’s genuine liability in this game and one error can easily decide it.

Especially as you said there are Zidane, Greaves and Puskas firing at him.

The latter two are one of the greatest goal scorers in history.

Enigma_87

You know who

Both quality wise and complimentary IMO he’s off in this game. Makelele’s weakness is that he isn’t fast and is pretty slow off the mark. Same can easily be said about Senna. That midfield clearly lacks a dynamic B2B and with Puskas, Zidane operating in that area could be a real weakness.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yaya was world class ah his peak and definitely the better midfielder compared to Senna, whilst Mackay is upgrade to Fernandinho in every sense.
As a DM, I'd take Senna over Yaya every day of the week.

:lol: Better than Platini and Signori who are few people who have won 3 x Capocannoniere plus the legendary Denis Law added in? Oh, let's not foget Jairzinho who scored every game in the WC!

Enigma_87

You know who
As a DM, I'd take Senna over Yaya every day of the week.

:lol: Better than Platini and Signori who are few people who have won 3 x Capocannoniere plus the legendary Denis Law added in? Oh, let's not foget Jairzinho who scored every game in the WC!

Just with how many DM’s you are playing? :lol: And I’ve said B2B which is my point all along.

Your keeper is the worst player on the pitch and more likely to concede which was also @oneniltothearsenal point.

Are you seriously finding fault in Makelele in the pivot DM role? :lol: Do carry on!

He's the greatest in the role...lack of pace, ffs! He's proved himself well against enough fast #10s.
I’m not commenting on Makelele’s position but the pairing with Senna. If he’s the pivot DM, what’s Senna’s role?

Also Signori in that role isn’t peak Signori but the version who hated being given auxiliary positions.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Blanchflower was the playmaker and Mackay the one with more defensive functions. He played in a midfield two and here we have Scirea stepping up as well.

Our midfield is more complimentary IMO.

As for the keeper is pretty obvious that Weidenfeller is the weakest player on the park.

He’s genuine liability in this game and one error can easily decide it.

I rate Blanchflower higher than Mackay. Mackay was more box to box from what I have seen and not really the most defensively positioned. He might have been a better tackler than Blanchflower but I rate Makelele chances of stopping Zidane much higher than Mackay-Toure in even slowing down Platini.

--

Also I have started my new fun (for me) match rating system for players I have eccentric opinions on like Zidane. By that I mean that because for me Zidane was always at his best in the biggest matches so I am rating Zidane's influence highest in Draft Final matches and lowest in R1 matches. So if you can advance to the SF Zidane for me will be rated higher than I am rating him here.

Enigma_87

You know who
I rate Blanchflower higher than Mackay. Mackay was more box to box from what I have seen and not really the most defensively positioned. He might have been a better tackler than Blanchflower but I rate Makelele chances of stopping Zidane much higher than Mackay-Toure in even slowing down Platini.

--

Also I have started my new fun (for me) match rating system for players I have eccentric opinions on like Zidane. By that I mean that because for me Zidane was always at his best in the biggest matches so I am rating Zidane's influence highest in Draft Final matches and lowest in R1 matches. So if you can advance to the SF Zidane for me will be rated higher than I am rating him here.
Fair enough although Senna is also the worst midfielder on the pitch and it’s not only stopping Zidane but Puskas and Greaves.

Cannavaro had issues with Henry in the past and Greaves directness and goalscoring nouse will no doubt trouble him as well.

And then there is Weidenfeller :)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Fair enough although Senna is also the worst midfielder on the pitch and it’s not only stopping Zidane but Puskas and Greaves.

Cannavaro had issues with Henry in the past and Greaves directness and goalscoring nouse will no doubt trouble him as well.

And then there is Weidenfeller :)
I actually think Yaya is the most superfluous though even if he was better at his peak than Senna. Think you would be better with more a positionally sound DLP like Cerezo or the type to fill the Blanchflower role and free Mackay to play more his natural box-to-box role that he played than with trying to fit in Yaya who I think is better in a 433 type than one with a no.10 like Zidane.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
If he’s the pivot DM, what’s Senna’s role?
Have touched this. He'll curtail impact of Yaya moving forward. Also operating in Puskas favourite Inside Left area, he's placed to deny space and cut off passess to Puskas.

Mackay and Yaya form a double-pivot in the midfield.
This is the fault in your team. Neither are the type of player to be a pivot DM and pairing them together is worse. Mackay is a box to box CM who is defensively sound and Yaya is a attacking CM whose defensive influence is barely noteworthy. Putting them against Platini is just recipe for disaster. You need someone who is more defensively sound to get the better of either.

Platini will have a massive impact in this game.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
and

Puskas best role is centre left goal scoring Inside Forward. He needs wigers to open spaces. A formation where he is the left most player is not really his optimal role. Also Zidane is not as tactically mobile as Puskas. His influence in moving to centre will be far less than his partnership with AdS.

Overall this use of Puskas-Zidane will not really get the best of either.

Enigma_87

You know who
I actually think Yaya is the most superfluous though even if he was better at his peak than Senna. Think you would be better with more a positionally sound DLP like Cerezo or the type to fill the Blanchflower role and free Mackay to play more his natural box-to-box role that he played than with trying to fit in Yaya who I think is better in a 433 type than one with a no.10 like Zidane.
Think RCM Yaya in B2B role and the more defensively sound Mackay with Scirea stepping in is the way for this game to both bring solid defensive foundation and also give us the secondary playmaker in Yaya. Ideally Yaya’s passing range would give us option from the center in keep the flow going and he really did excel at that for City.
Have touched this. He'll curtail impact of Yaya moving forward. Also operating in Puskas favourite Inside Left area, he's placed to deny space and cut off passess to Puskas.

This is the fault in your team. Neither are the type of player to be a pivot DM and pairing them together is worse. Mackay is a box to box CM who is defensively sound and Yaya is a attacking CM whose defensive influence is barely noteworthy. Putting them against Platini is just recipe for disaster. You need someone who is more defensively sound to get the better of either.

Platini will have a massive impact in this game.
As I’ve said Platini will operate in a zone where we have a live to in Scirea. Scirea and a typical holder like Makelele isn’t optimal. On a side note Platini is the only attacking threat we will be facing from the middle of the park where the best defender in Scirea would be stepping up to face him.

I disagree that we need a destroyer in zone mista set up, far from it.

Platini impact will be limited due to the 4 man attack you are fielding with each of the 4 attacker’s trying to cut in and operate in the same area.

Enigma_87

You know who
Here's what Zeman's 4-3-3 was:

http://www.youcoach.it/en/article/attacking-combination-4-3-3-system-wingback-overlapping-zdeněk-zeman

Description
  1. The playmaker 4 comes to receive the pass from defender 5
  2. The playmaker 4 passes the ball to defender 6; the left winger 11 runs forwards diagonally
  3. The central defender 6 passes to the winger 11 who comes to the ball after moving away and checking back
  4. The winger 11 lays the ball back for the right midfielder 10 who is supporting
  5. The midfielder 10 completes the give and go with 11 moving inwards the field to lose his marker
  6. The winger 11 passes the ball to the playmaker 4 who steps forward to support
  7. The playmaker 4 passes the ball vertically to the midfielder 10
  8. The midfielder 10 controls and carries the ball to the box; the left wingback begins to overlap; The right winger 7 runs diagonally into the field
  9. The midfielder 10 passes to the wingback 3 overlapping; the winger 7 becomes centralized with a diagonal run; The striker 9 peels to the edge of the box in line with the back post
  10. The wingback 3 crosses into the box; the midfielder 10 attacks the far post zone; the winger 7 cuts the defensive lines to attack the near post zone; the central striker 9 moves into the box reading the possibility of a second ball for a shot

Just to reiterate @Edgar Allan Pillow

Signori is far from his favorite role and he won’t be at his best here.

Neither Jairzinho for that matter without an attacking full back.

I believe @antohan can share some thought on him in this set up and whether he will be optimal.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Hello Everyone.

Good Luck, Edgar.

EAP has got a very good team but I am surprised how so many are ignoring the fact that EAP has no sweeper in this set-up or a very good DLP like say a Redondo or Bozsik to initiate attacks from the back. Especially the lack of a libero in a complex formation like Zona Mista is a huge negative as far as I'm concerned. The libero is the one who is the hinge in the Door Bolt/Zona Mista set-up.

Maldini is an all-time great defender and Cannavaro is a very good defender as well but not only were their defending style more of a stopper than sweeper, both were far from being responsible to initiate attacks from the back during their careers. And lack of a playmaker in central midfield means, the service to Platini and Jairzinho would not only be restricted and they won't get the ball at the right time, allowing us to regain shape at the back vs the counters.

As for us not having someone to stop Platini, well Mackay is there. We aren't expecting him to mark Platini out of the game completely but we certainly expect him to restrict Platini's influence along with help from Yaya. And, I don't see how lack of a Blanchflower style player is an issue. Blanchflower was a great midfielder but he was never really tasked with teh job to keep an eye on or restrict opposition's best attacking players. It was Mackay. And, I don't see the necessity in having someone like Blanchflower, especially when we have Scirea to sweep things up or nip the attacks in the bud in the libero role.

Also, Yaya became lazy in his later few years at City but prior to that he was a beast. I mean, he played as a Centre Back in the UEFA Champions League Final against the Manchester United attack of Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney & Carlos Tevez and was one of the best players on the pitch. Did a great job of restricting that trio. Once again, not saying he will mark Platini out of the game or anything but the entire "Platini will have no resistance" is simply not true at all. Mackay and Yaya can do a decent job of restricting Platini's influence and if Platini does manage to get past them he still has Scirea to deal with. The ideal player who can sniff out those through-balls and passes by Platini.

Indnyc

--

Every round is a final here :)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
with Scirea stepping in is the way for this game to
Don't you think he has enough facing Law?

EAP has got a very good team but I am surprised how so many are ignoring the fact that EAP has no sweeper in this set-up or a very good DLP like say a Redondo or Bozsik to initiate attacks from the back. Especially the lack of a libero in a complex formation like Zona Mista is a huge negative as far as I'm concerned. The libero is the one who is the hinge in the Door Bolt/Zona Mista set-up.

Maldini is an all-time great defender and Cannavaro is a very good defender as well but not only were their defending style more of a stopper than sweeper, both were far from being responsible to initiate attacks from the back during their careers. And lack of a playmaker in central midfield means, the service to Platini and Jairzinho would not only be restricted and they won't get the ball at the right time, allowing us to regain shape at the back vs the counters.

As for us not having someone to stop Platini, well Mackay is there. We aren't expecting him to mark Platini out of the game completely but we certainly expect him to restrict Platini's influence along with help from Yaya. And, I don't see how lack of a Blanchflower style player is an issue. Blanchflower was a great midfielder but he was never really tasked with teh job to keep an eye on or restrict opposition's best attacking players. It was Mackay. And, I don't see the necessity in having someone like Blanchflower, especially when we have Scirea to sweep things up or nip the attacks in the bud in the libero role.

Also, Yaya became lazy in his later few years at City but prior to that he was a beast. I mean, he played as a Centre Back in the UEFA Champions League Final against the Manchester United attack of Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney & Carlos Tevez and was one of the best players on the pitch. Did a great job of restricting that trio. Once again, not saying he will mark Platini out of the game or anything but the entire "Platini will have no resistance" is simply not true at all. Mackay and Yaya can do a decent job of restricting Platini's influence and if Platini does manage to get past them he still has Scirea to deal with. The ideal player who can sniff out those through-balls and passes by Platini.
Have answered most of this before, but will summarize again:

- The lack of sweeper/stopper is nonsense. It's not a recreation of zona mista and modern defenders are hybrid of both so as to make a sweeper/stopper combination mostly redundant. Both Maldini and Cannavaro are well rounded defenders and don't really need a specified role on how they should defend. And Cannavaro is way more than a "very good defender" :nono:

- Mackay stopping Platini's influence is not weird to even read. It's nonsensical as my own Pantsil stopping Liedholm ;). With minimal support from Yaya, your midfield will be overrun. No two ways about it.

- Lack of Central Midfielder is also moot considering presence of Junior. He's a classic playmaker and will regularly drift in to overload the midfield, which is already struggling without a proper holding midfielder. Just no way your midfield is coping to this opposition.

---

You need to worry about Zidane's lack if influence facing Makelele and Senna. Without Zidane, you are left only with Yaya and we all can guess how that will end.

Indnyc

That would explain Messi's lack of influence ;)

But, how do you see this match playing out?
Love Enigma’s defense and attack.. Not completely sold on Yaya’s position here.. He did a lot better when he had Fernando Fernandinho with him and City always seemed to struggle with him in a 2 man midfield..

Having said that Senna is less than ideal for EAP as well.. And of course the goalkeeper difference..

Think it comes down to who you prefer in attack.. Platini and Zidane both look to have great games here

I would probably pick Platini but can easily justify Zidane - Puskas having a field day

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Also, Puskas simply isn't getting close to enough love he deserves. He is a much much superior player to Signori.

In fact, I would actually argue he is the best player on the pitch. At least on par with Platini. For some reason he hasn't got enough love around here. But if he were fully fit in the 1954 World Cup Final or the Germans hadn't taken PEDs, his legacy would have been completely different. In terms of statistics, silverware etc, he can match-up with any player and he had amazing longevity as well. Was at the top of the game from 1945-65). Even when he was out of shape, he was still one of the best players in the world.

And was also supremely consistent (only had one season in a 20 year stretch where he scored less than 20 league goals and even then it was 18 goals in 26 games with 4 in 4 in Europe). And, it wasn't just meaningless goals. He stepped up in the biggest games (hat-trick and a 4 in European Cup finals as well as scoring in the WC final, while playing inujured).

Jonathan Wilson:- Best, Beckenbauer, Platini, Zidane - Puskas topped them all.

Ferenc Puskas was, along with Johan Cruyff, one of the two greatest European footballers of all time, says Jonathan Wilson.

How great was Ferenc Puskas? Such things, necessarily, are subjective - and, particularly when you're going on video footage, almost impossible to judge - but for me he stands alongside Johan Cruyff as one of the two greatest European players of all time.

It is not just his technical ability. Other players have had that. It is not even the fact that he had key parts in two of the most celebrated games ever played on British soil - Hungary's 6-3 victory over England at Wembley in 1953 and Real Madrid's 7-3 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt in 1960. It is the fact that that ability was allied to a brain that understood how best to use his ability for the team.

That is why his nickname, the 'Galloping Major', was so appropriate - even if he hardly galloped and, at the time it was bestowed, was only a lieutenant - because he was so good at marshalling his side towards a common goal. "If a good player has the ball, he should have the vision to spot three options," the full-back Jeno Buzanszky said. "Puskas always saw at least five."

Team-mates complained about Puskas's influence over coaches and about his constant hectoring on the pitch, but nobody ever accused him of being selfish. Along with everything else, he was a hugely astute leader. In his first season at Real Madrid, for instance, he and the notoriously difficult Alfredo di Stefano were joint leading scorers going into the final match of the season. Late on, Puskas had a chance to score but opted instead to wait and square it for Di Stefano, recognising the problems it could cause for morale if the Argentinian did not finish as top scorer. He showed similar selflessness after that 1960 European Cup final, handing the match ball to Erwin Stein, who had scored two of Eintracht's three goals. Puskas had scored four.

There are those who carp that Puskas was very left-footed. He was, but it hardly diminished him. "You can only kick with one foot at a time," he once said. "Otherwise you fall on your arse." As an example of how his turned a weakness into a strength, you only have to look at that game against England in 1953.

With Hungary leading 2-1, a cross from the left found him at the back post. He took the ball down and it seemed that he had to hit it with his right foot. Billy Wright, England's captain, went flying in to make a challenge, "rushing," as Geoffrey Green put it in the Times, "like a fire-engine going to the wrong fire". Puskas, slipped the ball back with the sole of his left foot, leaving Wright sprawling and, with barely any backlift, thrashed his finish past Gil Merrick. The Hungarian radio commentator Gyorgy Szepesi remembers walking on to the pitch after the game and examining the spot. "They should have laid down a plaque," he said.

Comparisons are made with George Best, not least because Puskas enjoyed a similarly hectic social life. Tales of his drinking exploits with Jim Baxter are legion, and the late Scotland winger, who maintained that the Hungarian had just two words of English - "vhisky" and "jiggy-jig" - often told the story of arriving at a party in Drumchapel on the outskirts of Glasgow to find Puskas "jiggy-jigging" in the scullery.

But Puskas's habit never got in the way of his football and, after the two-year exile he served following his defection in 1956, he had the self-discipline to lose 18kg before lining up for Real Madrid. With an Olympic gold, a World Cup silver, five Hungarian league titles, five Spanish championships and a European Cup, plus the fact he was top scorer in Spain four times, his achievements dwarf those of Best.

The decline of Hungarian football since has only magnified the greatness of Puskas's side. I arrived in Budapest last month, in the week they lost to Malta, and I even heard it said that at least Puskas, suffering then the later stages of Alzheimer's, would not understand.

"His brain is over," said the Olympic water-polo champion Gyorgy Karpati, who visited him regularly. "He is just a body waiting for the day when it will be over." Sentimentally, there were those who wished he would hold on until Saturday week, November 25, the date of the 6-3. Amid all the commemorations of the Uprising, no anniversary will be so soaked in tears as that.

"If I say Hungary, I say Puskas," Karpati went on. "If you go to Venezuela or Naples or Australia and you say Hungary, people would say Puskas. That says it all."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/nov/17/sport.comment2

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Mackay stopping Platini's influence is not weird to even read. It's nonsensical as my own Pantsil stopping Liedholm ;). With minimal support from Yaya, your midfield will be overrun. No two ways about it.

You need to worry about Zidane's lack if influence facing Makelele and Senna. Without Zidane, you are left only with Yaya and we all can guess how that will end.
How will that end?

With 20+ goals 10 odd assists? :)

There's also Puskas, Amancio, Nilton and Scirea who can all create and contribute in the attacking aspect btw. We will be fine there.

In fact its you who should be worried about lack of playmakers in your starting XI. You only have one real good creator/playmaker in your starting XI. And, thats Platini.

Jairzinho and Junior can create a bit but nowhere near what you would require here.

Comparatively, we have far more ammo going forward in terms of creativity and feeding the frontline with service.

Also btw, I never said Mackay would stop Platini. But with help from Yaya and knowing he has an all-time great like Scirea to sweep things up at the back, he can offer enough resistance vs Platini.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
With 20+ goals 10 odd assists? :)
That's impressive return for this game. If he does that against my team, you deserve this game :p

Also btw, I never said Mackay would stop Platini. But with help from Yaya and knowing he has an all-time great like Scirea to sweep things up at the back, he can offer enough resistance vs Platini.
This is where both you and Enigma are totally wrong. Mackay and Yaya won't even slow down Platini. Scirea needs to have a monster game just handling Platini and that's not even counting Law. He's good, but nobody is that good.

It's just comical on how you both argue that Makelele would not be sufficient for Zidane, yet a far weaker DM in Mackay will slow down Platini :rolleyes:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Before Pillow said that Platini wasn't playing in the hole as a classic 10 I thought the best interpretation of his setup was a lopsided version of a 4213. Portugal used to play a symmetrical 4213 with Rui Costa in 10, Figo right, Sergio Conceicao left and someone who couldn't score upfront. With Pillow's setup it would seem to morph into a 3232 in possession with Junior bombing on the left.

Whether it works is another question but I think this is the best way of looking at it IMO

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Before Pillow said that Platini wasn't playing in the hole as a classic 10 I thought the best interpretation of his setup was a lopsided version of a 4213. Portugal used to play a symmetrical 4213 with Rui Costa in 10, Figo right, Sergio Conceicao left and someone who couldn't score upfront. With Pillow's setup it would seem to morph into a 3232 in possession with Junior bombing on the left.

Whether it works is another question but I think this is the best way of looking at it IMO
Not sure about that. Did Germany play a back 3 with Breitber? Same here with Junior. As for Platini not being a usual in the hole #10, it's just his normal game. Nothing different.

We are playing a back 4 with Junior attacking their already flawed defensive midfield. Between Platini and Junior we will have majority possession and dominate the game.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure about that. Did Germany play a back 3 with Breitber? Same here with Junior. As for Platini not being a usual in the hole #10, it's just his normal game. Nothing different.

We are playing a back 4 with Junior attacking their already flawed defensive midfield. Between Platini and Junior we will have majority possession and dominate the game.
I’m not sure what you are fielding or calling it but what is flawed is the crap keeper you are fielding :D

First you weren’t playing zone mista, yet the formation showing otherwise then you weren’t playing four attackers (which you do) and compared Signori to Boniek of all people :D

We have went through it but our midfield has clearly dedicated roles whilst your is IMO off balanced with Senna and Makelele playing similar roles and you having the two weakest player on the pitch - Weidenfeller and Senna.

He doesn’t have the personnel for it.

Jairzinho and Signori weren’t the typical hard working wingers or someone who would track a wing back at their peak.

Jairzinho didn’t have Figo’s engine either.

That IMO isn’t one of the best representations of a team around Platini and the attack isn’t functional. Signori, Law and Jairzinho all will cut inside most of the time leaving less space for Platini to operate. There isn’t much of support from the full backs either.

Junior wasn’t the bombing full back either and won’t help the attack in the way an attacking full back will.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I’m not sure what you are fielding or calling it but what is flawed is the crap keeper you are fielding :D

First you weren’t playing zone mista, yet the formation showing otherwise then you weren’t playing four attackers (which you do) and compared Signori to Boniek of all people :D

We have went through it but our midfield has clearly dedicated roles whilst your is IMO off balanced with Senna and Makelele playing similar roles and you having the two weakest player on the pitch - Weidenfeller and Senna.

He doesn’t have the personnel for it.

Jairzinho and Signori weren’t the typical hard working wingers or someone who would track a wing back at their peak.

Jairzinho didn’t have Figo’s engine either.

That IMO isn’t one of the best representations of a team around Platini and the attack isn’t functional. Signori, Law and Jairzinho all will cut inside most of the time leaving less space for Platini to operate. There isn’t much of support from the full backs either.

Junior wasn’t the bombing full back either and won’t help the attack in the way an attacking full back will.
For a guy playing Amancio Inna ZM, you certainly have lots to say about Jairzinho.

Actually saying Signori and Jairzinho can't stretch a defense is really one of the weirdest things I've read in this forum. Jairzinho intruding into Platini's space :houllier: