g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sheep draft - sajeev vs MDFC Manager

Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You aren't allowed to vote anyway. You had way too much influence in sajeev's team to accept you as a neutral here.
:) And here's Anto trying to be all magnanimous by voluntarily opting out.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yes I'm guilty of over-crediting Seedorf there. Davids was the clear leader of Holland's midfield in 1998 and 2000 and it was Cocu and Ronald De Boer who were the nearest performers. Seedorf was a decent cog in the system, but his presence wasn't really missed when Davids ran the show against Argentina and Brazil in those great battles in 1998. But certainly that Ajax vintage and Holland's 1998/2000 midfield almost invariably dominated whoever they came up against.
I'd agree, he wasn't dominant back then, Davids was the one. I think it's more the early promise and excitement of such a young player operating so effectively that leads to the over-crediting. That young and dynamic Ajax midfield, with Rijkaard as the elder statesman bringing them through was mouth-watering. I have to agree at the time you got the impression they would take over the WC/Euros but they never quite managed to amid all the arrogance and infighting we are accustomed to with the Dutch.

MDFC Manager

FWIW I think you've argued this point brilliantly. What you say here makes perfect sense.

If there's an issue - of sorts - with Veron, it would be what anto touched on above, namely that his greatest strength is arguably a bit wasted here, given the lack of dedicated wide men. His pin point, long range passing isn't something you can obviously use to your advantage here - although it will certainly come in handy if and when either Reuter or Ossie makes a run down the wing.

Defensively, the plan is sound. People seem to overlook the actual prowess of Vieira and Ossie - who are more than capable of doing precisely what you expect them to do here.
I completely agree with Veron's strength as you and antohan talked about earlier. And that I can't dispute against at all, and haven't argued that :)

And that's spot on about Vieira and Ossie. Them and Veron defend as a unit, not Veron alone as a dedicated DM would attempt to do.

Perhaps i should have put all 3 CMs in a line, in the lineup graphic...

antohan

Just getting back to this from yesterday. I have no idea why you named me there, when at no point did I say that both of sajeevs will be attacking.
No, the opposite, you said that one had to stay back for Bergkamp. And my point was there's a halfway point between attacking way up the pitch and staying back, which is lingering around the halfway line while the other fullback does push up all the way. That's actually the most common thing, and in drafts we tend to perceive fullbacks to be at one end of the pitch or the other.

About the first point, you're right, however I still don't see his fullbacks getting that much joy in getting too many crosses in with any regularity.
It's not like they will get dangerous crosses in all game long, of course. The point though is they entertain your fullbacks, and in the middle you have two proper defenders to sajeev's three. So he is stretching the more vulnerable core, while you are not doing enough stretching of a more robust one, which is what people have been pointing out.

MDFC Manager

That was a lot of fun for a first try, just absoltely gutted to lose on points that make little sense :( Good game and good luck in the next round @sajeev @antohan

antohan

:) And here's Anto trying to be all magnanimous by voluntarily opting out.
In fairness, I've been FAR more involved with other teams in the past without ever getting the AM tag. In this draft, given its a sheep draft I avoided helping many though, which is what has landed me that tag I guess. Which is fine, of course, and it wasn't about being magnanimous, more the opposite. Last night I went to bed with Sajeev trailing by 4 and I woke up to him being ahead (good job @sajeev) so just wanted to make it clear in case anyone was reserving his vote in case there was any controversy. Fact is, had I voted 2-3 probably would have switched in retaliation! :lol:

Good to know I'm supposed to be the AM though, I guess I will spend some more time helping him brush up his tactics, cutting off all that player profile wall fo text stuff and properly formatting his teamsheets :lol:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
In fairness, I've been FAR more involved with other teams in the past without ever getting the AM tag.
That's not good then. I've been far less involved in teams and abstained from voting because of it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Congrats!

And tough luck, MDFC - you did very well indeed.

Now, who's the turncoat...ruining a perfectly good shootout like that, it ain't proper.

sajeev

@MDFC Manager great match! I am glad you think you lost on points which didn't make sense which means you truly believed in your team. Bad luck though.
I really think Viera vs Davids would have ended only one way and that would give me the match

antohan

I completely agree with Veron's strength as you and antohan talked about earlier. And that I can't dispute against at all, and haven't argued that :)

And that's spot on about Vieira and Ossie. Them and Veron defend as a unit, not Veron alone as a dedicated DM would attempt to do.

I don't think the 3 in a line would have made a difference. It's not that Verón looked a DM, it's that what he had to offer (in the same way as Pirlo ain't a DM) was a bit wasted here, while what Márquez had to offer was bloody useful.

I'm sorry if I went on about it quite a bit, but I've been arguing Márquez' case in this setup for several drafts now (@MJJ and @crappycraperson can attest to that) and he never gets his chance to shine. This was exactly the game and setup where he would and I wasn't going to pass on that.

sajeev

btw who changed teams to give me victory?

Thanks a lot :D

antohan

That's not good then. I've been far less involved in teams and abstained from voting because of it.
Actually, I often vote against them :lol: Ultimately it's about whether you feel you are being biased or not IMO.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Just for knowledge sakes, how does the penalty shootout happen?
If you're very very lucky, you'll never find out. My first penalty shoot-out cost me easily 5 years of my life and I needed a new F5 key for my laptop.

antohan

If you're very very lucky, you'll never find out. My first penalty shoot-out cost me easily 5 years of my life and I needed a new F5 key for my laptop.
And you missed all five of them :lol:

MDFC Manager

I kinda live for thrills like that though. Of course I'd say differently the first time I ended up losing :p

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
And you missed all five of them :lol:
That was the 3rd one, the first one was the one in the World Cup draft against TITO, which I won because Baresi skied it again :D.

kps88

That was the 3rd one, the first one was the one in the World Cup draft against TITO, which I won because Baresi skied it again :D.
I'll never forget you beating me in the auction draft. My team was amazing with barely a big name and I had a shit load saved up to spend on reinforcements. :mad:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'll never forget you beating me in the auction draft. My team was amazing with barely a big name and I had a shit load saved up to spend on reinforcements. :mad:
I had just as much money though :D. And got robbed in the next game against MJJ, when Sagna had del Piero in his pocket :(

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
:lol: didn't ashley Cole destroy nedved as well in the same game.
It was more surprising that Marquez had such a great game against Crespo.

vs

I still don't get it. And I would have added Zidane for Veron after the game, had by far the biggest remaining budget :(

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Oi! It's obvious it was down to Nesta that, no need to have a dig at Rafa, not today.
If I remember correctly, Nesta was helping Sagna against del Piero at the same time and yes I'm bitter.

MJJ

It was more surprising that Marquez had such a great game against Crespo.

vs

I still don't get it. And I would have added Zidane for Veron after the game, had by far the biggest remaining budget :(
That front six though :drool:

In a way my victory was partly yours as well, you did gift me Keane and giggs without whom I wouldn't have won given how low fabregas stock was at that time.

Although if I was voting as a neutral I would have gone for your side, much more balanced.

antohan

If I remember correctly, Nesta was helping Sagna against del Piero at the same time and yes I'm bitter.
But it's Nesta! He can keep two in his pocket at the same time, no problem.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
First of all, great game @sajeev & @MDFC Manager. I really liked the matchup, and I'm glad to see that the final scoreline reflected how close and tight this match. Great job to both of you.

It's quite obvious that this is what they would do. I would find it strange that people would actually see Veron as a dedicated DM.

However, with what I alluded to with regards to this midfield unit, there's lots of aggression and energy to cover large areas of the pitch, but it needed someone who was great at reading the game and taking up good positions to bring the best out of Vieira and Ardiles. Again, I allude back to the point of AC Milan's midfield before 2006/07 and at 2006/07. Before, they missed someone who could read the game well enough to provide the platform for AC Milan's aggressive midfield defensive style. However, once Ambrosini came in, they were more solid in midfield. It's the same case here. Whilst Veron isn't some defensive mug, I believe he would have had a tough time providing that platform against sajeev's cracking midfield and attack. If sajeev had lesser players than Seedorf, Davids, and Rivaldo, I'd swing my vote towards MDFC. However, for this matchup, MDFC needed someone better than Veron for that role, IMO, or someone who'd read the game better than Vieira whilst still providing that energy and aggression.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Voted for Sajeev but just. MDFC has a good team, and I love van Basten and Zico there. If only he could replace Bergkamp with a more AM player, he'd get mine. As I think Zico should be the SS or more attacking, not as 'provider'.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Bossis = Costacurta? Le Grand Max? Interesting
As a player and as the total package Bossis is clearly the better option. Able to play anywhere and any role in a back 5. Brilliant with the ball, being excellent defensively and the ridiculous versatility which is Ruud Krol like. Give me Bossis over Costacurta anyday.

When I was making those comparisons, it was from a purely defensive perspective and I honestly don't see much between both of them in this aspect.