• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team VivaJanuzaj

Tactics:
An homage to Manchester United's 4-4-2 led by Keane-Scholes midfield duo and improved in every other position(apart from goalkeeper), Scholes-Keane will get the freedom to run the show thanks to the brick wall of defense they've got behind them. A super strong defensive 4 with one attacking full back(Breitner), one defensive full back(Carlos Alberto), two hard working top class wingers(Figo & Nedved) and two strong and dominant strikers.
This is a mirror of how United used to play and won the 99' CL title, but the improved class in every position is just something that cannot be ignored. The team will play very offensively getting the ball forward with urgency like United used to play, with long balls to either Crespo or Batistuta and the wingers playing quick transitions from defense to attack using Baresi & Breitner's passing abilities.
Defense: The GK is the only position not upgraded, yet Peruzzi is a top class GK who has great command on the box and shot stopping abilities.
Carlos Alberto, probably the best defensive RB of all times, is a massive improvement for Gary Neville. Alberto will be ordered to choose his attacks wisely and be aware defensively, both to maximize his abilities and to look out from leaving Vierchowod-Baresi alone.
Breitner is another big improvement for Irwin, the German LB could do anything Irwin can do and more, and that's what I'm counting on. With Nedved helping him defend that wing with his work-rate, Brietner will get more freedom to burst forward and add another man forward with his immense class when joining the attack. Breitner was no stranger to defending either of course, so he won't be completely free in his roaming, but he'll burst forward often.
Baresi-Vierchowod is a duo I can't help admiring. Baresi is probably the best CB of all times, and Vierchowod is one of the best stoppers of all times. They are probably the biggest upgrade of Stam-Johnsen and that is the main reason I've went for the 4-4-2. With a defensive duo of these two, who compliment each perfectly, I don't see any strikers getting joy in this match, which allows the midfield to be a bit more adventurous.
Midfield: Keane-Scholes have stayed the beating heart of this United 99' setup, doing pretty much what they did back than. They may be accused of being over-offensive, but when you've got a defensive wall like they've got here, I don't see a problem. Scholes-Keane played in much weaker defensive setups and thrived nevertheless thanks to their impeccable understanding of the game, and they'll adjust themselves to find balance between defense and attack.
Figo is pretty much a better Giggs at his prime, and although this is probably the smallest upgrade, primed Figo will cause chaos to any full back with his pace and dribbling.
Nedved is my Beckham, and that's a big upgrade. Nedved and Beckham are completely different in their winger style of play, but they both share one important feature - work rate. Nedved will allow Breitner to attack and will seriously help him protect his wing. Nedved's role will sometimes make him move to central midfield/attacking midfield to help Keane-Scholes with the midfield battle, Nedved did these moves often and his work rate allows him to do in without causing any problems to his full back.
Attack: When you look at Yorke-Cole, the things that was most brilliant to watch is their understanding with each other and how much they could do - run with the ball and open space, receive long balls and beating their strong CBs to do that and kickstart attacks. Well, Batistuta & Crespo Can do all that and more. Two complete strikers who could score pretty much in any way wether it's aerially challenge, long shots by Batigol, off the ball runs between defenders and all of it. Batistuta and Crespo will have the power to receive long balls from either the defensive line or the midfield, bring them down and spread it either to the flanks or to each others creating goal chances from practically nothing.
My Opponent: Cutch has created a supreme team, I literally can say nothing bad about it. I do however believe, that against his 4-3-3 my 4-4-2 is the antidote. With Fontaine being pretty much the perfect fit for Vierchowod to defend, all Baresi/Keane need to do is try to limit Charlton's influence. Not an easy task of course, but a possible one surely. Gento will have his work cut out against Carlos Alberto, and when/if Santos does roam Figo will always track him back. Matthews-Pupi are exactly alike on my left side, with Nedved comfortably covering Breitner I think my wings are all round better.
*My strength is in the attack, and I believe I can outscore my opposition thanks to my manpower upfront. Nesta and Passarella are obviously two of the best in the business, but do they compliment each other as well as my CB duo? No. And they face not one but two strikers who've faced their calibre of defenders on a weekly basis in the Seria A and both finished as top scorers against the likes of them. Desailly will obviously help them, but I feel like my 2 strikers will outscore the opposition with their route to goal much more simple.

Good luck Cutch.

sub and tactical change after 60minutes:

vs

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Cutch

PLAYER PROFILES
EDWIN VAN DER SAR
One of the most reliable and acclaimed goalkeepers of the last 20 years. Had a wonderfully long and glittering career for club and country.

JAVIER ZANETTI
19 years at Inter Milan and an astonishing 145 caps for Argentina. One of the finest fullbacks of all time. Physical powerhouse and a model of consistency.

ALESSANDRO NESTA
The best defender of his generation. Tremendous composure inside the box, incredible positional sense off the ball and highly accurate anticipation of a striker’s movement inside the final third were some attributes that would describe Nesta’s defensive prowess. His calming influence has brought out the best in many that have played alongside him.

DANIEL PASSARELLA
Argentina's magnificent 'El Grand Capitan', one of the all time great defenders. Inspirational leader and the second most prolific goal scoring defender of all time. Despite his average height Passarella was phenomenal in the air at both ends of the pitch. Wonderful organiser and reader of the game.

NILTON SANTOS
Legendary Brazilian left back selected in the FIFA world team of century in 1998. A defender so complete he was nicknamed ‘The Encyclopaedia of Football’. Revolutionised the position of attacking fullback and inspired generations of Brazilian that followed in that position. Outstanding in attack with his pace, world-class dribbling and crossing.

MARCEL DESAILLY
A colossus of a defensive midfield player in Capello's all conquering Milan side. Incredibly strong and fast, he combined his physical capabilities with great defensive abilities.

JOZSEF BOZSIK
Forget the likes of Pirlo and Alonso, Jozsef Bozsik is considered the finest deep lying playmaker in the history of the game. The brains of one of the best sides of all time, Hungary’s Mighty Magyars that dominated the 1950's.
There are few historical players who would have been more valued in the modern game. For Bozsik possessed the gift that is the most valued in contemporary football and the hardest to find, that of time. He had the ability and composure to wait for the right option and to execute what few others could even see. In an era where such qualities are at a premium, Bozsik would have been peerless.

SIR BOBBY CHARLTON
Arguably the finest player to come out of English football. Man Utd and Englands all time goalscorer. A legend of the game. A gentleman of honesty and integrity. Personified the Busby Babes – the triumph, tragedy and the ability to rise from the munich air disaster to restore the glory days to the club. His game displayed grace, speed, athleticism and a thunderous shot.

FRANCISCO 'PACO' GENTO
Trophies, trophies and more trophies. That’s the story of the career of A player many believe to be the best left-winger of all time and the only player in history to win six European Cups. Gento had lightning pace, fantastic dribbling skills and perfect accuracy in his crosses, and he played in one of the truly great Real Madrid teams. Along with Di Stefano, Kopa, Rial and Puskas he was part of a stunning forward line that led the team to win five consecutive European Cups. He was scorer of a not too shabby 182 goals in 602 matches.
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/players/player=174556/index.html

SIR STANLEY MATTHEWS
One of the greatest players of the English game. He was the first player to win both the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year and European Footballer of the Year awards. His quick feet and quick speed earned him the nicknames, “The Magician”, and “The Wizard of the Dribble.”

JUST FONTAINE
Fontaine was a born finisher, smooth and strikingly two-footed. There are similarities with the greatest goalscorer of them all, Gerd Müller: both were squat men with formidable strength, particularly in their tree-trunk thighs, and both had a supernatural awareness and serenity in their patch of land, the 18-yard box.
One of France’s greatest ever strikers, best known for scoring an unbelievable 13 goals at the 1958 World Cup. But he was no one tournament wonder. Fontaine’s goal scoring record during his club career in France was an incredible 165 goals in 200 appearances, helping himself to two league titles along the way. He was strong with both feet, great in the air and could have added even more to his extraordinary stats had injuries not cut short his career.

LONGEVITY
- All 11 players each considered to be a legend of the game in their respective countries.
Lets take a minute to reflect on the longevity of some of these careers:

Club
Nilton Santos - 723 games at Botafogo
Stanley Matthews - 700 career games
Van Der Sar - 600 career games
Desailly - 550 career games
Zanetti - 19 years at Inter
Bozsik - 19 years at Honved
Gento - 18 years at Real
Charlton - 17 years at Man Utd
Krol - 12 years at Ajax

Country
Zanetti - 145 caps for Argentina
Van Der Sar - 130 caps for Holland
Simeone - 106 caps for Argentina
Desailly - 116 caps for France
Charlton - 106 caps for England
Bozsik - 101 caps for England
Krol - 83 caps for Holland
Nilton Santos - 75 caps for Brazil

A side full of experienced and decorated players from some of the finest international sides ever to have played the game.

TACTICS
- A solid defence with 2 of the most complete fullbacks ever to have played the game, and in the centre a complete footballer, the legendary World Cup winning captain Daniel Passarella alongside a complete defender, Alessandro Nesta.
- The creative hub is Jozsef Bozsik with Marcel Desailly anchoring the midfield offering robust protection of the defence and allowing the front 6 the platform to work their magic on this game.
- The width further forward is provided by 2 legendary flying machines providing an outlet in behind for Bozsiks metronomic passing and also creating space for Bozsik carrying the ball forward. Matthews and Gento will run at and commit the opposition defenders and do what they do best, getting quality delivery into box for one of the most natural goalscorers to have played the game Just Fontaine to profit.
- Also in the thick of things none other than Sir Bobby Charlton, Man Utd and Englands record goalscorer.

WHY I SHOULD WIN
Up against a great side, but man for man i believe my side has a better balance and a slight edge in overall quality.
The 2 defences are solid with little to choose but it's in midfield that i believe i have the edge. The trio of Desailly, Bozsik and Charlton give the perfect blend and balance in midfield. Keane and Scholes are much loved on here of course but Bobby Charlton and Jozsef Boksik are all time greats in their positions and Desailly in behind is on another level as an anchoring destroyer to Dunga. This telling advantage in midfield gives my sides attacking players more of a chance to make a telling contribution to this game.

Another notable advantage is in the goals department with Fontaine (227 in 248 games :eek:), Charlton (208 in 647 games), Gento (180 in 620 games) and even Passarella in defence (140 in 447 games) all prolific scorers.
Batistuta 246/386, Scholes 107/499, Nedved (110/501) Figo (93/577) doesn't compare. I believe in a game of possibly few chances i have the goalscorers in my side to take them!

VivaJanuzaj

Good luck @Cutch , voting for myself to see the results easily you should do the same.

First thing that you can see here, Cutch has unsuccessfully guessed my tactics, which will definitely hurt his team in a real match. When a manager can't predict the opponent's tactics and team it will result in a tactic that is misfit for the match. He's entire tactics is based on the fact that his firepower will be stronger than mine(after honorably admiting our defenses are pretty much equal), but exactly because Desailly was a class above Dunga, I've decided to go for the 4-4-2 and take advantage of my awesome striker pairing which will compliment each other perfectly.

Why is it so important to have a strong understanding between Batistuta-Crespo? Well, in the 4-4-2 that United won the 99 title, our striking pairing was Yorke-Cole. Yorke&Cole are brilliant in a way they understood each other perfectly. What I loved about that United team is that it needed only half a chance to score, and buildups to attacks were really simple - get the ball to the strikers and with a piece of quality between them and the wingers/Scholes they'll get a scoring chance from nothing. With defenses as strong as these, you need to create chances from zero and maximize their effect - that's why I've chosen to play 2 strikers and not one.
Take a look of this video of Yorke-Cole goals, they are indeed facing lesser defenders, but they are lesser strikers too. Look how they create goals from nothing simply with understanding between one another. A long ball to either who brings it down to the other and it's a 2vs3 situation without any buildup. Simple. And it's down to having good understanding with each other whilst having good aerial and ball control abilities - two things Batistuta and Crespo have tons of.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Kudos to Viva for actually going with a 2 strikers formation. But I'm not a fan of Crespo, even after the discussion that we all had the other day about him.

I like Cutch's team better, but I will sleep on it - in those drafts we always give advantage to a more cautious team which isn't entirely realistic, I thought about it a lot before my game.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Finally, Viva smells the coffee and plays Keane and Scholes in a midfield two :drool:

VivaJanuzaj

Kudos for Viva for actually going with a 2 strikers formation. But I'm not a fan of Crespo, even after the discussion that we all had the other day about him.

I like Cutch's team better, but I will sleep on it - in those drafts we always give advantage to a more cautious team which isn't entirely realistic, I thought about it a lot before my game.
Try to forget his awful time at Chelsea for a minute, and focus on his prime. He was amazing, and exactly the kind of striker you want in this setup - the kind of striker that you can pass a long ball to, knocks it down to the second striker and build on it, or the type you can whip early crosses too and know he'll get on the end of them and make the most of the chances.

Check how incredibly good he was. On his time at the Seria a at his prime in Lazio & Parma - 101 goals in 170 games against the likes of Nesta, Maldini, Bergomi, Cannavaro, Thuram, Ferrara etc. all at their prime. Kind of hard arguing against these numbers.

*One more thing, I suggest skip the first 40 seconds of the video. utter waste of time :)

NM

I want to vote for Viva but Batigo and Crespo are just not scoring against that defense

NM

Voting cutch but reserve right to change.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Try to forget his awful time at Chelsea for a minute, and focus on his prime.
He may have been past his peak at Chelsea, but it certainly wasn't awful. 20 goals in 33 league starts is decent, especially in a team that did not play to his strengths. And he linked up play nicely and scored a few crackers there as well.

Last edited:

VivaJanuzaj

He may have been past his peak at Chelsea, but it certainly wasn't awful. 20 goals in 33 league starts is decent, especially in a team that did not play to his strengths. And he linked up play well and scored a few crackers there as well.
Yeah but most people seem to remember that time as bad, because he was pretty far behind his amazing peak in Lazio and Parma.

I want to vote for Viva but Batigo and Crespo are just not scoring against that defense
Are they not? I'm not sure about that. Look how much passers they've got behind them, and the route to goal is pretty simple in that 4-4-2. How many top class defenders have Yorke&Cole beaten because of how the rest of the team played? They're facing two CBs who are better than they are as strikers, no doubt about it, but two strikers with so many ways of creating goal chances will surely score in an open match like this. I don't see any problem, in fact, I also said in my tactics that I predict Cutch to maybe score one goal, but I'm feeling quite confident on my setup's ability to score two goals here. Cutch's defense is brilliant, but that's the beauty of United's 4-4-2 setup(especially with these improvements) - you don't need chances. Check that Yorke&Cole video I posted above, look how much they created simply by a long pass from Scholes from deep or from a defender, simply one puts it down to the other and a simple one two and the goal is free. Yes, it won't happen a lot against these defenders, but it will surely happen a few times and both Crespo and Batistuta can score from those and create those. And here they've got Breitner/Baresi passing from deep. Not too shabby.

Annahnomoss

Two beautiful teams here. That 4-4-2 can't get much better and they would score against any team. It is basically the gung-ho United, but improved in every single position. The question is if Cutch equally great team can capitalize on this and outscore VJ here. Both teams should have plus points for originality as it feels very fresh to see the way they are lined up with the personnel they have gathered too.

Figo and Nedved are arguably the two best wide midfielders in history, happy they are not depicted as pure wingers as I think as wingers they take some steps down. Cutch has Matthews, Gento, Fontaine in the side and they are top players who rarely got the look in before.

I will come in later and read the thread, seems like that is where it will be decided.

NM

Yeah but most people seem to remember that time as bad, because he was pretty far behind his amazing peak in Lazio and Parma.

Are they not? I'm not sure about that. Look how much passers they've got behind them, and the route to goal is pretty simple in that 4-4-2. How many top class defenders have Yorke&Cole beaten because of how the rest of the team played? They're facing two CBs who are better than they are as strikers, no doubt about it, but two strikers with so many ways of creating goal chances will surely score in an open match like this. I don't see any problem, in fact, I also said in my tactics that I predict Cutch to maybe score one goal, but I'm feeling quite confident on my setup's ability to score two goals here. Cutch's defense is brilliant, but that's the beauty of United's 4-4-2 setup(especially with these improvements) - you don't need chances. Check that Yorke&Cole video I posted above, look how much they created simply by a long pass from Scholes from deep or from a defender, simply one puts it down to the other and a simple one two and the goal is free. Yes, it won't happen a lot against these defenders, but it will surely happen a few times and both Crespo and Batistuta can score from those and create those. And here they've got Breitner/Baresi passing from deep. Not too shabby.
Keane and Scholes without a midfield shield against an educated Team like Cutch's means that you will be outscored more often than not. There's a reason we won only 1 CL when that team was at its peak.

harms

Staff
Check that Yorke&Cole video I posted above, look how much they created simply by a long pass from Scholes from deep or from a defender, simply one puts it down to the other and a simple one two and the goal is free. Yes, it won't happen a lot against these defenders, but it will surely happen a few times and both Crespo and Batistuta can score from those and create those.
Cole & Yorke was one of the most complimentary striker partnership in football history - in terms of how it elevated both of them above their actual ability level. It was not about Fergie's 4-4-2, it was about their chemistry - why do you think that Batistuta and Crespo have it in them? Did they actually play together - if I remember correctly, it was Batigol or Crespo as a single forward for Argentina, never as a pair. A genuine question here, not a dig at your team - if you are keep telling us about how they are such a great fit to each other, I would love to hear some actual arguments for it.

VivaJanuzaj

Keane and Scholes without a midfield shield against an educated Team like Cutch's means that you will be outscored more often than not. There's a reason we won only 1 CL when that team was at its peak.
Yeah, because they never had Baresi-Vierchowod-C.Alberto behind them, or anyone remotely close in terms of class or complimentary

NM

Yeah, because they never had Baresi-Vierchowod-C.Alberto behind them, or anyone remotely close in terms of class or complimentary
Come on mate. It wasn't only the defense. Don't kid yourself. Bozsik/Desailly/Charlton as a midfield 3 would eat Keane/Scholes alive IMO. I'm sorry but that's what I see.

Keep in mind that Scholes was a more attacking player rather than a controller of midfield at the time (I don't know which one you are using here), and they would just get overrun. Tbh, I'd probably go for you here in a 4-5-1 setup. But that's just me.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think Viva would genuinely struggle to control the midfield and without that even that :drool: duo upfront would suffer.

I recommend dropping one striker, and play Keane/Dunga deeper in a 4-2-3-1. Would get much more traction in the middle, imo.

NoPace

Come on mate. It wasn't only the defense. Don't kid yourself. Bozsik/Desailly/Charlton as a midfield 3 would eat Keane/Scholes alive IMO. I'm sorry but that's what I see.

Keep in mind that Scholes was a more attacking player rather than a controller of midfield at the time (I don't know which one you are using here), and they would just get overrun. Tbh, I'd probably go for you here in a 4-5-1 setup. But that's just me.
I had the same view as NM here basically. Crespo was a very, very good striker, but the wrong choice here.

harms

Staff
I have to say, 4-4-2 is the right choice for Viva here. If he was to drop one striker for Dunga, his team would've been too similar to Cutch's tactically, while the latter would've had the individual advantage in my eyes.

NM

I have to say, 4-4-2 is the right choice for Viva here. If he was to drop one striker for Dunga, his team would've been too similar to Cutch's tactically, while the latter would've had the individual advantage in my eyes.
I'd disagree. I reckon the recent greatness of Keane-Nedved-Scholes-Figo would swing it over Gento/Bozsik/Charlton/Matthews who most wouldn't have seen.

However, based off what we have, I have to credit @VivaJanuzaj for the best Keane-Scholes 4-4-2 I've seen

kps88

It's the classic two vs three in midfield debate. I'm quite conflicted by it to be honest.

Lets say there are two dead even teams, one playing 4-4-2 and the other a 4-3-3. Both teams are dead even and have players of the same quality. Does the side playing 4-3-3 always win by virtue of that extra midfielder? What tactical advantage does the 4-4-2 offer against that system, if any? That extra striker doesn't seem of much use if you don't control the midfield. I suppose if you have two physical strikers you could bypass the midfield and go direct more often. Would be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Mani

Not a fan of two strikers,instead he could have gone with attacking mid.MF quality of Cutch is on different level as well a man advantage in middle.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dang it, this is hard. United dominated the league and Europe when we played 4-4-2, and had world class defence (1999 & 2008 era). Then AC Milan in the past under Capello. Also Nedved is more than capable of helping midfield.

But I can't look past that Desailly-Nesta-Passarella. I'm a big admirer of Desailly, and imho he's the GOAT 'pure' DM.

MDFC Manager

It's the classic two vs three in midfield debate. I'm quite conflicted by it to be honest.

Lets say there are two dead even teams, one playing 4-4-2 and the other a 4-3-3. Both teams are dead even and have players of the same quality. Does the side playing 4-3-3 always win by virtue of that extra midfielder? What tactical advantage does the 4-4-2 offer against that system, if any? That extra striker doesn't seem of much use if you don't control the midfield. I suppose if you have two physical strikers you could by pass the midfield and go direct more often. Would be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this.
I hear you. Still in this particular case, Nedved and Figo would offer enough industry to cover, IMO. Ideally I'd have preferred a number 10 type along with a number 9, and that's my only critique of his team.

VivaJanuzaj

Last post by me till Cutch arrives, I promise :lol: @kps88 I'll comment later

I never tried to suggest I'll have most control in midfield, when I'm in possession, Baresi of course will help and Breitner/Nedved will obviously help at times roaming to the middle too. But still, the whole idea in the two striker formation is the quick transition between defending to attack, passing a long ball to one of the very powerful attackers who will either try between them(see Yorke-Cole video) or hold up the play and wait for attackers to join whether its Scholes or Nedved or Figo. The midfield domination isn't something I need or seek

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Viva really sold me a dummy with that team :). To be fair to him i did say in his quarters game that Keane and Scholes were more suited as a midfield pair and not as a 3, and that Batistuta was better with a partner like Crespo. He was definitely right to leave Dunga out.

Having said that Keane and Scholes are up against an absolutely formidable GOAT centre midfield here, and if we’re being totally honest with ourselves would get steamrollered. This is on a whole other level.

Crespo I'm a fan of and good to see him getting a runout, but is he all time draft semi final standard? I don’t think so.

Nedved up against Javier Zanetti, i’m happy with that. Figo up against Nilton Santos, again i’m happy with that. ‘The Encyclopaedia’ will have done his homework.. Either of them chance their arm and cut inside to brick shithouse Marcel Desailly territory, no probs. Batigol and Crespo against Nesta and Passarella, my 2 have easily got what it takes to nullify both. That front 4 ain't gonna breakdown my defence.

NM

Viva really sold me a dummy with that team :). To be fair to him i did say in his quarters game that Keane and Scholes were more suited as a midfield pair and not as a 3, and that Batistuta was better with a partner like Crespo. He was definitely right to leave Dunga out.

Having said that Keane and Scholes are up against an absolutely formidable GOAT centre midfield here, and if we’re being totally honest with ourselves would get steamrollered. This is on a whole other level.

Crespo I'm a fan of and good to see him getting a runout, but is he all time draft semi final standard? I don’t think so.

Nedved up against Javier Zanetti, i’m happy with that. Figo up against Nilton Santos, again i’m happy with that. ‘The Encyclopaedia’ will have done his homework.. Either of them chance their arm and cut inside to brick shithouse Marcel Desailly territory, no probs. Batigol and Crespo against Nesta and Passarella, my 2 have easily got what it takes to nullify both. That front 4 ain't gonna breakdown my defence.
You have eliminated the only faults in your team really.

Back 4 - All legends.
Keeper - United legend
Midfield - All legends
Forward - Just below legend tier.

It's freaking unbelievable.

MJJ

Sorry viva while I love your team and the upgrade on the 99 side, cutch side is filled with goats everywhere and gels really well.

Allowing him to take desailly was a big mistake, it allowed him to complete that midfield which was the only flaw in his side.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think that's harsh. Keane is as good as any of them in my opinion and comfortably better than Desailly.

NM

I think that's harsh. Keane is as good as any of them in my opinion and comfortably better than Desailly.
Keane isn't a GOAT though. I love him, but he just isn't. Still better than Desailly of course.

Still can't believe how close we were to beating Cutch and taking on Viva here.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The tag 'GOAT' is slightly overused in this draft in my opinion.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Keane isn't a GOAT though. I love him, but he just isn't. Still better than Desailly of course.

Still can't believe how close we were to beating Cutch and taking on Viva here.
Depends what you mean by the term GOAT but I certainly think he's one of the best midfielders ever and I don't think its possible to play the role much better than Keane did. I can't think of any better that I've seen other than Matthaus who was a bit different anyway.

Aye, I think we had a better team than Cutch and would have won that game 7 times out of 10.

kps88

The tag 'GOAT' is slightly overused in this draft in my opinion.
Yep! People are getting obsessed with it.

Anyway, in this instance I agree with Theon that Keane is just as good a midfielder as anyone in Cutch's team. But Cutch has an extra body in there while I don't see Viva's extra man up front having much of an impact.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
You have eliminated the only faults in your team really.

Back 4 - All legends.
Keeper - United legend
Midfield - All legends
Forward - Just below legend tier.

It's freaking unbelievable.
A bit harsh on Krol ;). I'm not even sure I'd consider Passarella an upgrade, Krol was absolutely fantastic as a sweeper, both were easily the best central defenders at the World Cup in '78 and I would rank them damn close to each other in an alltime list.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
20 goals in 33 league starts is decent, especially in a team that did not play to his strengths.
Yeah, it's more than decent, even, one could say. Sixty percent goals/matches ratio, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Plus, he was - well - decent, playing wise. At least the way I recall it. Thing is, Crespo was never the player who would dramatically raise the overall level of the team - he was more of an icing on the cake type (as was suggested in Viva's last match).

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
This won't be a popular opinion here but Scholes is the one who is out of his depth here.. Keane simply has too much to do here. Pair Keane with someone like Lothar or Redondo and I don't think Viva's MF two is a problem against Cutch's midfield.

@VivaJanuzaj - I would go with the 5221 here. Subbing off Crespo for a CB. You have the defenders to soak up pressure and hit on the break with your front 3.