Sheep draft SF - VivaJanuzaj vs Cutch

Who would win based on player peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VivaJanuzaj

Well, maybe. As I said earlier, I'm sure that 4-4-2 was your best formation and you couldn't have done anything better at this stage. Cutch was too good/lucky at drafting stage, all he needed was not to feck it up - and he didn't.
I appreciate it mate :)
From the minute that 4-4-2 sparked in my mind, I always loved it, how can I not really? The best 4-4-2 I remember seeing.

kps88

Anyone with any more ideas here?
Don't think there's anything different you can do really. Your starting formation was what I'd have gone with as well. Cutch's team is just slightly stronger.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Don't see any sense in that, to be completely honest I'm kind of selling my soul to the draft devil here. I don't believe this formation is better than the 4-4-2 but it does give me more control of the game.
I'm not sure - you had a functioning four-man unit before that worked in tandem with your back four and front two. Now Keane and Scholes look somewhat marooned with Bozsik, Desailly and Charlton playing around them.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That's what I'd have wanted you to go with at the start.
Really? A five-man backline to stop Matthews, Gento and Fontaine? I wouldn't have started like that, let alone switched to it for a comeback.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm not sure - you had a functioning four-man unit before that worked in tandem with your back four and front two. Now Keane and Scholes look somewhat marooned with Bozsik, Desailly and Charlton playing around them.
Exactly, there's no longer any need for Desailly to be a permanent CB (whatever Cutch may say and choose to depict it as), which in turn beefs up the midfield, which in turn gives Cutch more control :triple facepalm:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Really? A five-man backline to stop Matthews, Gento and Fontaine? I wouldn't have started like that, let alone switched to it for a comeback.
It was either that or a 4-3-3 with Breitner in midfield and Zambrotta at LB.

VivaJanuzaj

This is as good as gone. Great match @Cutch , I feel this might be the best team I ever had in a draft and yours is simply magnificent too because it has no real weaknesses. I stand behind what I said because I love my 4-4-2 setup.

Wanted to go through so bad, think of the next reinforcement round if I could've bagged Muller & Puskas :drool:

Peruzzi
Carlos Alberto ---- Vierchowod ---- Baresi ------ Breitner
Figo ------ Scholes ----- Keane ----- Nedved
-----Puskas
Muller----------​
That's just perfect.

NM

sorry @VivaJanuzaj. Think Cutch's assessment is right. You were one player short. The cnut is going win it all I think.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
This is as good as gone. Great match @Cutch , I feel this might be the best team I ever had in a draft and yours is simply magnificent too because it has no real weaknesses. I stand behind what I said because I love my 4-4-2 setup.

Wanted to go through so bad, think of the next reinforcement round if I could've bagged Muller & Puskas :drool:

Peruzzi
-----Puskas
Muller----------​
That's just perfect.

Looking forward to your vote ;)

Really liked the 4-4-2 and it was very well executed. Tough luck viva. Congrats cutch.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Harsh score on @VivaJanuzaj that and i felt for him a bit as everything he tried was getting a mixed response. Its very fine margins and I think in the end he was perhaps 1 top drawer player short otherwise i was probably beat.
He probably lacked that brilliant second striker to truly make it a winning 4-4-2. Perhaps an upgrade on Scholes, as I don't really rate that younger version as that highly, but Keano-Scholes is a proven partnership and would work.

It is quite a polarising formation, which not everyone is going to buy but Viva's midfield was genuinely spot on, both tactically and individually. The best midfield 4 I've seen on here after anto's Nedved-Effenberg-Neeskens-Boniek.

MDFC Manager

He probably lacked that brilliant second striker to truly make it a winning 4-4-2. Perhaps an upgrade on Scholes, as I don't really rate that younger version as that highly, but Keano-Scholes is a proven partnership and would work.

It is quite a polarising formation, which not everyone is going to buy but Viva's midfield was genuinely spot on, both tactically and individually. The best midfield 4 I've seen on here after anto's Nedved-Effenberg-Neeskens-Boniek.
Yup, second striker position was my critique as well.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Don't know if I'm allowed to vote, because I just started reading these sheep draft threads. They're great, very fascinating.

If I could vote I would vote for @VivaJanuzaj based on that picture of the line ups on the first page.

Holland played with a back three/five at the World Cup. Players like Vlaar, De Vrij, Bruno, Janmaat, even Kuyt, and only once they conceded more than 1 goal per match. Over 7 matches they conceded less than 1 goal/match. Same for Argentina who played with a back 3 or 5. Once conceded 2 goals, over 7 matches less than 1 goal per match on avarage.

With Baresi, Vierchowod, Ferrara you have an ultimate Italian backline. No way they are going to give in, and concede a goal a match on avarage, good lucking scoring against them. Especially with good wingbacks and Keane in midfield. Batistuta as a target man, Neved as an attacking midfielder from the left and Figo in a free role. All very complementary players I think, you have a bit of everything. They will cause mayhem.

Cutch has a great team too, with some brilliant oldskool classics. Didn't know Sir Stanley Matthews won the Ballon d'or once, and Nesta is one of my all time favourites, underrated perhaps because they Italians have so many greats. Saw that Passarella was only 1.73 cm, so it wouldn't make sense to directly play on the big, strong Batistuta. This would force either Nesta or midfielder Dessailly to cover Batistuta on a lot of occasions, leaving space to exploit for Figo and Nedved. With Scholes's vision launching passes in the space I'd say team Cutch would have a bit more trouble keeping a clean sheet than team Viva's.

VivaJanuzaj

Don't know if I'm allowed to vote, because I just started reading these sheep draft threads. They're great, very fascinating.

If I could vote I would vote for @VivaJanuzaj based on that picture of the line ups on the first page.

Holland played with a back three/five at the World Cup. Players like Vlaar, De Vrij, Bruno, Janmaat, even Kuyt, and only once they conceded more than 1 goal per match. Over 7 matches they conceded less than 1 goal/match. Same for Argentina who played with a back 3 or 5. Once conceded 2 goals, over 7 matches less than 1 goal per match on avarage.

With Baresi, Vierchowod, Ferrara you have an ultimate Italian backline. No way they are going to give in, and concede a goal a match on avarage, good lucking scoring against them. Especially with good wingbacks and Keane in midfield. Batistuta as a target man, Neved as an attacking midfielder from the left and Figo in a free role. All very complementary players I think, you have a bit of everything. They will cause mayhem.

Cutch has a great team too, with some brilliant oldskool classics. Didn't know Sir Stanley Matthews won the Ballon d'or once, and Nesta is one of my all time favourites, underrated perhaps because they Italians have so many greats. Saw that Passarella was only 1.73 cm, so it wouldn't make sense to directly play on the big, strong Batistuta. This would force either Nesta or midfielder Dessailly to cover Batistuta on a lot of occasions, leaving space to exploit for Figo and Nedved. With Scholes's vision launching passes in the space I'd say team Cutch would have a bit more trouble keeping a clean sheet than team Viva's.
First of all mate you're allowed to vote whenever, now it's too late because the poll has closed but just so you know.

The bolded part is what I was trying to point out throughout the match, couldn't quite get people to agree with me sadly.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Everyone is allowed to vote, mate! The game is over though.

Passarella was insane in the air, by the way, don't just the book by it's cover.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Saw that Passarella was only 1.73 cm, so it wouldn't make sense to directly play on the big, strong Batistuta.
Passarella was a beast in the air though, phenomenal positioning, powerful jump and a terrific header of the ball, both in defense and in attack. And yes, take part in the drafts as much as you want. Everyone is allowed to vote and to participate.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Peruzzi
-----Puskas
Muller----------​
That's just perfect.
That would have been feckin awesome.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The bolded part is what I was trying to point out throughout the match, couldn't quite get people to agree with me sadly.
Unsurprisingly, I should say. I don't even remember you making the point, for that matter - and it would be an odd point to make. You started out with a pretty straight 4-4-2. There was little reason to rate your purely defensive capability over his.

After the formation switch, sure - that's another matter. But at that point you were trailing by ten votes, which "translates" to you needing goals - a point made by Balu above. Now, anyone is free to vote as they please - there's no rule which states you have to look at this as a virtual match, with a certain flow and an imaginary scoreline - but I for one would regard your substitution as a borderline bizarre one.

VivaJanuzaj

Unsurprisingly, I should say. I don't even remember you making the point, for that matter - and it would be an odd point to make. You started out with a pretty straight 4-4-2. There was little reason to rate your purely defensive capability over his.

After the formation switch, sure - that's another matter. But at that point you were trailing by ten votes, which "translates" to you needing goals - a point made by Balu above. Now, anyone is free to vote as they please - there's no rule which states you have to look at this as a virtual match, with a certain flow and an imaginary scoreline - but I for one would regard your substitution as a borderline bizarre one.
Was a desperate attempt to act according to the comments of other managers in order to score votes.
I do however think my tram will work great as a unit in defense, all round team of hard workers with great defending abilities apart from strikers. I don't see an issue with that defensively. I'm picturing it as a defensive unit in a real match and not purely who defends again who

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Was a desperate attempt to act according to the comments of other managers in order to score votes.
I do however think my tram will work great as a unit in defense, all round team of hard workers with great defending abilities apart from strikers. I don't see an issue with that defensively. I'm picturing it as a defensive unit in a real match and not purely who defends again who
I think it would too. Just park it infront of the goal and i'd have no chance

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't see any issue with it either. Nor was there an issue with Cutch's defense (minor points, perhaps but nothing significant) - and he had Desailly on top of his back four. Conclusion: To claim that HE was the one likeliest to concede seems odd.

If you buy the 4-4-2 in a match like this, you don't vote for the back four - it stands to reason.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I'd have him above Ferrara/Montero myself. When a player of his quality (and he was very much your stereotypically excellent Italian CB, top class at marking, positionally sound, etc.) has that sort of speed on him, it sort of makes him a stand-out player in itself.

He was extremely durable too - even for Juve he was still a brilliant player.

Vidic was immense during those peak years, though - so I wouldn't say Vierchowod necessarily has anything on him. About even, perhaps, all things considered.
Aye, completely agree. The fact that I viewed him as being Ferrara/Montero level based on watching him aged 33+ tells its own story as to how good he was. Agreed on Vidic too, who is the most underrated draft thread centre back around apart from John Terry!

Peruzzi
-----Puskas
Muller----------​
That's just perfect.
:drool:

You did a great job mate and it made for an excellent match thread. Great team, great 4-4-2 homage, just lacking that complementary pair of strikers against Cutch's borderline perfect team.[/QUOTE]

VivaJanuzaj

Aye, completely agree. The fact that I viewed him as being Ferrara/Montero level based on watching him aged 33+ tells its own story as to how good he was. Agreed on Vidic too, who is the most underrated draft thread centre back around apart from John Terry!

:drool:

You did a great job mate and it made for an excellent match thread. Great team, great 4-4-2 homage, just lacking that complementary pair of strikers against Cutch's borderline perfect team.
Cheers mate, wasn't too far from creating the perfect 4-4-2