Shooting in downtown Prague | 14 dead

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Shooter is dead now, apparently. Shot himself and fell off the roof, according to my friend.

The Firestarter

What is the gun culture like in the Czech Republic?
They love their guns and it's easy to get them. I think they have higher concentration of firearms per square km compared to the USA.

edit: the last part is not true , usa actually has around 3 times more per / km^2. Crazy.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Just hunting rifles or is it handguns and machine guns too?
The Czechs got clearance from the Soviets to make their own (arguably better) version of the AK-47. The country is likely awash with them based on how many were being sold in Canada a few years ago.

That also means they should have a thriving small arms industry and indeed Česká zbrojovka firearms, aka CZ, originated there.

Most of the ammo I buy comes from there, too.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The Czechs got clearance from the Soviets to make their own (arguably better) version of the AK-47. The country is likely awash with them based on how many were being sold in Canada a few years ago.

That also means they should have a thriving small arms industry and indeed Česká zbrojovka firearms, aka CZ, originated there.
Eastern Europe seems to be full of old Sovjet weapons and army vehicles that cnuts from Western Europe can play around with on stag do weekends.

Sincerely
A cnut who drove around in a tank on his friend's stag do :nervous:

Dr. Dwayne

Eastern Europe seems to be full of old Sovjet weapons and army vehicles that cnuts from Western Europe can play around with on stag do weekends.

Sincerely
A cnut who drove around in a tank on his friend's stag do :nervous:
:lol:

Absolutely. Crate after crate of arms and ammunition likely just sitting in warehouses waiting to move.

Dr. Dwayne

UpWithRivers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_Czech_Republic#:~:text=Under Act No.,two concealed firearms for protection.

They have some reasonable controls but are basically shall issue if you meet the requirements and they allow both concealed and open carry somewhat generously. I maintain that allowing people to carry guns in public is a significant contributor to these mass shooting events.
Legally yes its easier to get one but culturally no one wants or owns guns. Its like 3 percent gun ownership compared to what 30/40 percent in America?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I’ve never seen a civilian gun in Prague. Been living there for 5 years. CZ has weapon and ammo industry, as well as shooting sports but I wouldn’t say it’s a big part of the culture. Maybe it’s just my bubble.

UpWithRivers

I’ve never seen a civilian gun in Prague. Been living there for 5 years. CZ has weapon and ammo industry, as well as shooting sports but I wouldn’t say it’s a big part of the culture. Maybe it’s just my bubble.
No. Been here 11 years. No one has a gun

Dr. Dwayne

Legally yes its easier to get one but culturally no one wants or owns guns. Its like 3 percent gun ownership compared to what 30/40 percent in America?
I don't have any problem with their criteria for letting people possess firearms, as I said the controls are reasonable. I disagree with letting people carry guns in populated areas, though.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Guy is a 24 year old student from another town where he already shot his father earlier today and was wanted by police, apparently.

This is coming from whatsapp groups, not confirmed.

Last edited:

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It's not even close. The USA and Russia combined have more guns than every other country on the planet combined. It's insane. The USA isn't far off having that many on their own. It's completely batshit.

I don't have any problem with their criteria for letting people possess firearms, as I said the controls are reasonable. I disagree with letting people carry guns in populated areas, though.
I would let majority of gun owners have crayons or sporks, let alone guns FFS.

Dr. Dwayne

I would let majority of gun owners have crayons or sporks, let alone guns FFS.
:lol: to be fair you're basing this off the USA where there are plenty of idiots. Countries like the Czech Republic and Canada where background checks, education/training, and safe storage requirements go a long way to reducing the number of incidents derived from stupidity, let alone malice.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This incident is apparently the biggest terrorist attack in Europe in the past five years.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
From The Guardian:

Speaking at the press briefing, Czech interior minister Vít Rakušan said “there is no indication this crime has any connection with international terrorism.”
The perpetrator was inspired by similar shootings abroad, the police president said.

Dr. Dwayne

Why would you allow people to carry guns in any place? (Outside of hunting rifles)
Lots of places do because people are afraid of other people, usually irrationally.

Hunting and wilderness protection, possibly personal protection in exceptional circumstances are the only scenarios I think are reasonable.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Lots of places do because people are afraid of other people, usually irrationally.

Hunting and wilderness protection, possibly personal protection in exceptional circumstances are the only scenarios I think are reasonable.
Sorry, think I misunderstood you then.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
From The Guardian:
Seems he was inspired by a recent school shooting in Russia. This is from screenshot of his telegram channel I was sent. It was already translated; written in russian originally.
Let me introduce myself, my name is David I want to do school shooting and possibly suicide, Alina Afanaskina helped me too much.

I always wanted to kill, I thought I would become a maniac in the future.. Then when Ilnaz did the shooting, I realized that it was much more profitable to do mass murders rather than serial ones. I sat. Waited..

Dreamed. Wanted.. but Alina became the last point. It was as if she had come to my aid from heaven just in time.

This channel will be closed for a long time, although I wanted to make it open initially, but then I read some instructions that it would be better to open the channel a few hours before the shooting. I'll probably do that
Charming fella

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Police just said that this is very likely the same person, who killed two person last week.