Shooting in Philly, several police injured | August 14, 2019

Carolina Red

Staff

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Knowing Philly's PD, they might actually bomb the building.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Can we have a thread to guess where tomorrow's will be? Winner gets a microwave.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If there are officer hostages, they may be waiting for the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team, which is on par with the SEALs or Delta Force in terms of capabilities.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Thats different shooting, a thread with shootings for crazy nuts and another one for criminals. (Actually we could have one for Chicago and another one for Baltimore)
Nah, lets keep this simple.

America has shootings. There should be one thread for shootings. You're more known for shootings than you are basically anything else so it should be one thread for shootings until something is done.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
It's weird to see so many jokes in a thread about a shooting and cops injured, I don't like that.

Member 39557

Desensitization kicking in, sad but is bound to happen.
Desensitization kicked in, then settled down in front of the tv with a bag of popcorn years ago. It feels like it's almost a weekly event at this point.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Desensitization kicking in, sad but is bound to happen.
You mean daily.
Desensitization kicked in, then settled down in front of the tv with a bag of popcorn years ago. It feels like it's almost a weekly event at this point.
Actually if you're a decent human being you understand not to just let it kick in and still show some respect. It's good to not just follow your emotions always. Joking about shootings is in poor taste.

Member 39557

Actually if you're a decent human being you understand not to just let it kick in and still show some respect. It's good to not just follow your emotions always. Joking about shootings is in poor taste.
Take it up with people that joked about it then. The three people you quoted were commenting on the reason why people are joking.

I'm glad we have people like you around to set the rules on what makes people decent human beings. Today I learnt being desensitised to something by constant media coverage makes you fall short of the criteria.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
It's weird to see so many jokes in a thread about a shooting and cops injured, I don't like that.
It's black humor, which is a coping mechanism.

This whole ridiculous gun situation in America is infuriating and it wears you down mentally - or at least I'm finding that it does. So if you don't laugh, you'll despair and cry. IMO it's not laughing at the victims directly, if that makes sense?

(Having read over it again it doesn't really make sense)

shamans

Take it up with people that joked about it then. The three people you quoted were commenting on the reason why people are joking.

I'm glad we have people like you around to set the rules on what makes people decent human beings. Today I learnt being desensitised to something by constant media coverage makes you fall short of the criteria.
I'm not attacking them just explaining. I dont make the rules that's just my personal opinion. And this whole desensitization argument annoys me. Read news and issues based on what they are.

It goes the other way too. Notre dam catches a flame and people act like it's the end of the world just because they havent been desensitized. In my opinion part of humanity is to look beyond desensitization. Treat the lives lost across the world as equal.

I don't blame most people in first world countries though. They have lived a very insulated and isolated life.

shamans

It's black humor, which is a coping mechanism.

This whole ridiculous gun situation in America is infuriating and it wears you down mentally - or at least I'm finding that it does. So if you don't laugh, you'll despair and cry. IMO it's not laughing at the victims directly, if that makes sense?

(Having read over it again it doesn't really make sense)
Ton of people who are pro guns are also laughing about and saying it's a conspiracy by Democrats.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Ton of people who are pro guns are also laughing about and saying it's a conspiracy by Democrats.
Well they are idiots. I think most can spot the difference between the tinfoil hat wearing yokels and black humor.

shamans

Well they are idiots. I think most can spot the difference between the tinfoil hat wearing yokels and black humor.
I don't like the black humor but as I said it's my personal opinion. I think it's a serious issue and getting desensitized is exactly what the gun lobbies probably want. That's why I will force myself to not get desensitized and/or joke about it.