Should Club Legends/Managers Be Given Equity In The Club?

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Disclaimer: I know clubs already do ambassadorial pay/jobs in the club/etc., not talking about that.

I was listening to an NBA player’s podcast and they brought up sn interesting point. Kevin Garnett increased the value of the Twolves just by his mere presence and should thus be given sweat equity. While it’s easier to carry a team in basketball rather than in soccer, I think it’s a valid point.

You can argue who should be a club legend and the qualifications for it, and how much one should get, but for example SBC and SAF (regardless of what position they’re in now in relation to the club) both definitely deserve a piece of the club, IMO. Their success led to the club being the financial behemoth it is today and it’s only right that they get a share of what they built. I understand they get paid a salary by the club but still. In an era where player power is starting to be realized based on this sudden raft of free transfers, I just think it would also be a nice way to reward loyalty, much more than a testimonial that even Phil ‘Corners’ Jones can get.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What is club is not privately owned?

Also what happens if those legends die? Should their kids/wives get the shares?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They built it up, it’s there’s to do with as they wish.
I get that especially in soccer it’s not one size fits all when it comes to club ownership structure, but maybe the club uses its own funds to purchase back stock to give to said legend. Could make it part of the charter as it can bring appeal to a club from a players perspective.
Clubs are already doing it, it's called loyalty bonus. Every player gets millions every year for completing year in their contract.

If players are interested then they can buy piece of club with that money.

NoPace

Clubs should probably just have to belong to their city. Ban private ownership in football. It can generate profit for the community.

Less utopian, I think the Prem having ex-employees of the team (players and the guy who mopped the floors for 20 years) and fans owning 51% of the team in Germany like is of course a good idea.

Tarrou

i think its probably better to just give wages, and its not like they don't get paid well

lets say we start handing out equity to all our 'legends'.. and a bunch go on to manage other clubs (which they have done), they'd have a clear conflict of interests

another point to note is the majority of football clubs are bad investments, so diluting investors even further probably won't go down too well