Should England take some Uncapped young stars to the World Cup?

Classical Mechanic

Jadon Sancho

He hasn't played much first team football for Dortmund until recently but he has cemented his place in Dortmund's first 16. Has a very high talent level but surprisingly for a player of his type, he doesn't waste the ball that often.

Ryan Sessegnon

Played a lot of senior football over the past two years and impressed. Versatile and has goals in him.

Both these players are being speculated to being in Southgate's thoughts in today's papers. The left wide forward position is a problem with the stand out being a very inconsistent Rashford.

One of the best candidates IMO, Mason Mount, hasn't been mentioned in the papers. Scored 12 goals and got 9 assists in 24 for starts for Vitesse this season and won their player of the year. He can play all across the midfield and attacking midfield positions but is probably best at number 10. He could also fill that left hand attacking position.

Rashford got in the Euro 16 squad without much experience and Sancho and Mount especially are more gifted players. I think England's lack of options in general means that they are realistic options. Sancho especially given his talent level and our need for a player of his type. Mount's case is probably undermined a bit by England having Alli and Lingard in his best position.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Your stats for Mount are incorrect and Lewis Baker had even better stats last season. Rashford also has near identical stats in an infinitely harder competition.

Ryan Sessegnon should be only one in contention.

Even then, who are they meant to be picked over?

Classical Mechanic

Your stats for Mount are incorrect and Lewis Baker had even better stats last season. Rashford also has near identical stats in an infinitely harder competition.

Ryan Sessegnon should be only one in contention.

Even then, who are they meant to be picked over?
The stats are not incorrect for Mount he's got 12 goals and 9 assists in the Erdivisie in 23(7) games. Baker last year got 10 goals and 2 assists in 33 games and was 3 years older! Anyone who has watched the two players know that Mount is a far far higher talent than Baker.

They could go over Lallana who has barely kicked a ball all season after a serious injury.

People always want this but, when it actually happens people get pissed(Theo Walcott 2006).
Micheal Owen 1998, Rooney 2004 even Rashford 2016 came out with some credibility.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

The stats are not incorrect for Mount he's got 12 goals and 9 assists in the Erdivisie in 23(7) games. Baker last year got 10 goals and 2 assists in 33 games and was 3 years older! Anyone who has watched the two players know that Mount is a far far higher talent than Baker.
What is the source for those stats cus it isn't transfermarkt.

Baker got 15 goals 7 assists in all comps. A far far higher talent is rather irrelevant to a tournament this summer. Baker put up the same numbers and then didn't get to play in the championship. A good season in the Eredivisie is nothing compared to the English players producing in the Premier League. Mount isn't close to the senior England side.

saivet

Nope. The ones that are talented, I don't think we're lacking in those positions. Maybe if there was some wonderkid in CM.

Classical Mechanic

What is the source for those stats cus it isn't transfermarkt.

Baker got 15 goals 7 assists in all comps. A far far higher talent is rather irrelevant to a tournament this summer. Baker put up the same numbers and then didn't get to play in the championship. A good season in the Eredivisie is nothing compared to the English players producing in the Premier League. Mount isn't close to the senior England side.
He didn't put up the same numbers though did he, the site you use is rubbish, they count anything for an assist. Cup comps don't help either because you can play lower league sides. Look at what they did in the league.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/343346/Show/Mason-Mount

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/136772/Show/Lewis-Baker

Baker was 21/22 in that season and Mount is 18/19 this season, playing his first senior season. Mount also won their player of the year despite not getting his chance in the early part of the season. Baker didn't. Mount was also the u19 Euros best player last summer. Comparing him to Baker is not of great value because Baker has never been near Mount's level since he came on to the scene. 18 year Mount is a better player than the 23 year old Baker.

limerickcitykid

He didn't put up the same numbers though did he, the site you use is rubbish, they count anything for an assist. Cup comps don't help either because you can play lower league sides. Look at what they did in the league.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/343346/Show/Mason-Mount

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/136772/Show/Lewis-Baker

Baker was 21/22 in that season and Mount is 18/19 this season, playing his first senior season. Mount also won their player of the year despite not getting his chance in the early part of the season. Baker didn't. Mount was also the u19 Euros best player last summer. Comparing him to Baker is not of great value because Baker has never been near Mount's level since he came on to the scene. 18 year Mount is a better player than the 23 year old Baker.
So he is better than Baker who isn't getting to play in the Championship and miles away from the senior team. Whoop dee fecking do. The point is the Eredivisie isn't close to players performing at the highest level. Mount isn't even close to lingard or Alli right now.

An u19s Euros is meaningless compared to PL, CL and a senior WC.

And cup competitions don't count cus they don't suit your argument. Baker led them to a trophy while Mount lost to a lower side in the first round.

Bocca9978

No, only take players in form or who have actually played for England.
Don’t think any team should take uncapped, unless it’s for an injury crisis.

I didn’t get the taking Walcott thing 2006 and not playing him. Can’t remember if he had a cap when he went at 17. But, pointless taking him.

FujiVice

We took Rio Ferdinand in 1998. Did quite a lot for him by all accounts. The experience of being at a big tournament and all that. Cant see why it'd hurt.

Classical Mechanic

So he is better than Baker who isn't getting to play in the Championship and miles away from the senior team. Whoop dee fecking do. The point is the Eredivisie isn't close to players performing at the highest level. Mount isn't even close to lingard or Alli right now.

An u19s Euros is meaningless compared to PL, CL and a senior WC.
Well I did say that he has better more experienced players currently in front of him in his best position. I highlighted his u19 title as it indicates he is one of the very very best in his age bracket. Don't get me wrong, Baker was a good youth player too but wasn't in the same bracket as Mount.

Charles Miller

Since you are not favorites anyway, your best players will be in their peak next world cup, the U-17 generation is very strong, would not be a chance to forget about be competitive now, playing the best youngsters and prepare to fight for the wc in 2022?

simplyared

Jadon Sancho

He hasn't played much first team football for Dortmund until recently but he has cemented his place in Dortmund's first 16. Has a very high talented level but surprisingly for a player of his type, he doesn't waste the ball that often.

Ryan Sessegnon

Played a lot of senior football over the past two years and impressed. Versatile and has goals in him.

Both these players are being speculated to being in Southgate's thoughts in today's papers. The left wide forward position is a problem with the stand out being a very inconstant Rashford.

One of the best candidates IMO, Mason Mount, hasn't been mentioned in the papers. Scored 12 goals and got 9 assists in 24 for starts for Vitesse this season and won their player of the year. He can play all across the midfield and attacking midfield positions but is probably best at number 10. He could also fill that left hand attacking position.

Rashford got in the Euro 16 squad without much experience and Sancho and Mount especially are more gifted players. I think England's lack of options in general means that they are realistic options. Sancho especially given his talent level and our need for a player of his type. Mount's case is probably undermined a bit by England having Alli and Lingard in his best position.
Think you are selling Rashford far too cheap here. Wouldn't surprise me if he performs much better for his country than he's doing currently with utd.

Classical Mechanic

Since you are not favorites anyway, your best players will be in their peak next world cup, the U-17 generation is very strong, would not be a chance to forget about be competitive now, playing the best youngsters and prepare to fight for the wc in 2022?
That’s what I thought. Why take a crock who isn’t that good anyway (Lallana) when you can bed in a young star of the future.

@simplyared

I don’t think I am selling him short. Technically they are a good bit more talented than him. Doesn’t mean they’ll have better careers or anything because mentality is just as important.

Hope he does turn up for us.

kundalini

The Rashford comparisons are laughable. He had started against Arsenal, Spurs, Man City in the PL, Liverpool in the Europa League, FA Cup semi and final. Jadon Sanchez has one start against a top 6 side in the Bundesliga.

Personally, I might risk taking Sessegnon as my final pick, not a player I would be expecting to rely on but one that I might use as a sub if he looked decent in training. Having said that, I would have selected him before now, to see how he performed. Championship to World Cup is a massive leap in quality.

willhse456

I always think there should be 1 or 2 spots open in the squad for young stars such as Sessegnon. Very unlikely that all 20 outfield players play, so it's good to have the experience of going away with the squad for future tournaments.

Classical Mechanic

The Rashford comparisons are laughable. He had started against Arsenal, Spurs, Man City in the PL, Liverpool in the Europa League, FA Cup semi and final. Jadon Sanchez has one start against a top 6 side in the Bundesliga.

Personally, I might risk taking Sessegnon as my final pick, not a player I would be expecting to rely on but one that I might use as a sub if he looked decent in training. Having said that, I would have selected him before now, to see how he performed. Championship to World Cup is a massive leap in quality.
Thing is though, there will be players from worse leagues than the Championship there. How many Erdivisie players went to the semi finals with Holland In 2014, for example?

PoTMS

We should take Alexander Arnold instead of Clyne too. One had proved himself capable on the big stage, the other is a crock.

Van Gaalacticos

Wouldn't be up for it unless they were there to potentially play. I can understand the call for Sessegnon considering Chamberlains injury though.

Not convinced we should be taking Sancho or a Mount/Baker unless we can trust them to start against a Germany or a France team etc...which I don't think we can. We'd arguably struggle with our best team.

Classical Mechanic

Wouldn't be up for it unless they were there to potentially play. I can understand the call for Sessegnon considering Chamberlains injury though.

Not convinced we should be taking Sancho or a Mount/Baker unless we can trust them to start against a Germany or a France team etc...which I don't think we can. We'd arguably struggle with our best team.
Baker won’t be going, don’t worry about that!

Henry Gaervell

Jadon Sancho

He hasn't played much first team football for Dortmund until recently but he has cemented his place in Dortmund's first 16. Has a very high talent level but surprisingly for a player of his type, he doesn't waste the ball that often.

Ryan Sessegnon

Both these players are being speculated to being in Southgate's thoughts in today's papers. The left wide forward position is a problem with the stand out being a very inconsistent Rashford.

It needs to be done for the right reasons, but I don't have an issue with uncapped players going to the world cup. Most recent additions have only played friendlies or qualifiers against lower opposition - if some of the uncapped have played a England youth level, then it's less of a step up.

Two good players that you mention, but I'm sure if they are far enough along to solve a specific problem. Centre Mid is concern and I'd be looking at someone like Tom Davies to call up

Van Gaalacticos

Can't they take a few to be in the squad, train with them and experience everything without actually being in the squad?
I'd say that sounds a far more sensible option than taking kids in the squad you can't trust to play.

dbs235

I follow England's youth teams a lot, Mount is better on the ball than most of England's senior midfielders, and Sessegnon and Sancho would be worth throwing on for 20 mins if we are losing.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Can't they take a few to be in the squad, train with them and experience everything without actually being in the squad?
Yeah like how Beckham went to the 2010 World Cup (which he would have been picked for if not for injury). Not a bad idea really, but if you’re a teenager would you want to spend a few weeks of your rare time off in Russia with a bunch of people you’ve probably never met, surrounded by a media circus, just for the ‘tournament experience’ which might be completely useless if you don’t develop as a player in the next 2-4 years?

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Sessegnon Should go; but we will bring someone else who won’t see the field .
Why Sessegnon? It is just a big bubble, surely very talented boy but hardly ready enough for a major tournament. I think if he's played in his best position as LW, there's many better players to be played there. I can see him becoming decent winger but perhaps world class LB, he doesn't seem skillfull enough for a top team winger, not sure what he would add to the team as a winger, would rather have Ashley Young over him as a winger.

Sancho on the other hand is one of the best talents of his generation and his dribbling is already world class, he's got creativity about him England could definitely use even at such a young age, compared to technically very raw Sessegnon..

Players should be tried in a friendly before going though

Gopher Brown

No, because they’re going to the tournament to try and win it, so they have to pick their strongest 23 players.

There is never going to be a ‘perfect time’ - you simply can’t wait for the next one every time, because you end up wasting all your opportunities.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah like how Beckham went to the 2010 World Cup (which he would have been picked for if not for injury). Not a bad idea really, but if you’re a teenager would you want to spend a few weeks of your rare time off in Russia with a bunch of people you’ve probably never met, surrounded by a media circus, just for the ‘tournament experience’ which might be completely useless if you don’t develop as a player in the next 2-4 years?
I’d say for the experience and being in and around the squad, meeting and training with your heroes and “networking” with the players/coaches and senior people in the English football setup - I can’t see any youngster turning such an opportunity down tbh.

serxyo

I'm afraid Rashford won't even get that much of a chance at WC. Sterling, Alli, the Ox and Lingard in front of him for wider/behind the striker positions and Kane with Vardy up front. He'll be the one that comes from the bench like he's used to at United. We'll see, maybe with a good game in group stage he could get a chance.

*as the Ox is injured there are still Lallana and Welbeck. I just hope Southgate makes the right decision.

Angelinho

No. In the event of another Iceland-style debacle, the press and the public will all be demanding Southgate's resignation. There is no incentive for him to pursue a path that prioritises the future over the present. He should select the strongest possible squad.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Alexander Arnold will be starting a CL final in a couple of weeks. Don't see why he shouldn't go.

deafepl

Nah, more like U20, to 16, they have dominated youth football level and thrashed Germany U17 8-1, they have reached 4 final at each tournament and won 3, the U17 is still strong and made it to Euro championship quarter-final recently, even without full of U17 players who won world cup last year, that's impressive. I think in 2022 WC, England would be very strong than it is now with the likes of Kane, Sterling, Dele Ali and Stones, etc will be in prime at this time.

Angel Gomes, Foden, Mount, Sancho, Sessegnon, Harry Winks, Tuanzebe, Hudson-Odoi, Alexander-Arnold, Oxford, Edwards, Nelson, Skipp, Chalobah, Gribbin, McGuane, Dowell, Oakley-Boothe, Taylor Richards, Downes, Rhian Brewster, Mitchell, Kenny, Greenwoods, Doyle, Binks, Kenny, Maitland-Niles, Ejaria, Lookman, Dean Henderson and countless names of English players I believed will be impressing in the future if they get chance at professional level, some may not make it and some of them are more likely to make it, but it is hard to preditct whether they make it or not. It's very competitive.

I think right now England producing one of the best crops of young English players at U16-21s right now in many decades, all of them will be in the early 20s by 2022. England had a golden generation in 2006 or early but haven't had the same production of young English depth as now. If England has shown sign of youth's progress from 2018 to 2022, more progress, more likely England would become more successful and stronger.

CM

Alexander-Arnold should definitely go, especially as Walker seems to feature as part of a back three in Southgate's plans.

Sessegnon probably deserves a place in the squad but I think his age and the fact that he's playing in the second-tier could count against him. It might not be the worst thing in the world if he doesn't go though, I doubt he would feature much and I imagine his club are wary of burnout for a 17 year old who will have played over 50 games of football this season.

Classical Mechanic

Sancho on the other hand is one of the best talents of his generation and his dribbling is already world class, he's got creativity about him England could definitely use even at such a young age, compared to technically very raw Sessegnon
I tend to agree. Sessegnon actually looks like he needs a rest. He has played a hell of a lot of senior football for a 16/17 year (78 games over two seasons) and his form has really tapered off.

Sancho has that X factor and England could really use a player capable of beating a man or scoring an individual goal.

Mount has had a great season in the Erdivisie but Lingard and Alli occupy his best position. I'm sure he will dislodge one of them in the next few years but not quite yet.

Camilo

Of course not. You take your best players to the World Cup, you don't throw uncapped unknowns on the plane. It shows the lack of belief surrounding English football that people would even consider something like this - it's the biggest tournament on the planet, you have to give yourself every chance, and you do that by preparing and giving it your all. Gambling on some children is just pie in the sky thinking.

England have every chance of doing well, they just need to show up.