Should ETH have a say on INEOS transfers or accept whatever he is given?

fastwalker

Interesting report attributed to ESPN that ETH wants to have a say on INEOS transfers. Whilst it is normal for managers to be consulted on transfers, I am frankly less than impressed with ETH's forays into the transfer market. Would INEOS be any better? Let's wait and see. Personally I would rather that ETH got on with coaching and preparing teams to win games than spend time dabbling in the transfer market.

Any thoughts?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/sto...g-wants-say-man-united-transfers-ineos-source

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
He will and can have a say but not the ruling say, imagine he’ll have a good steer on what the playing squad needs but so will the sporting structure and it will be a conversation over similar targets and profiles if they are aligned, however if he wants something drastically different I imagine he will still have a say but the INEOS guys will want a manager in the same thought process as them so that they can build a squad that can transition between managers and the club itself has a. Philosophy and identity much like city, Madrid, Barca, Bayern.

Its vision for the club
recruitment that suits that vision
Manager recruited for that vision
Players signed for the vision and style that is implemented by the manager but not defined by the manager

Either way I hope ETH fits that vision, if not I have no qualms in sacking him and getting a coach that does, yes even if it’s potter.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Obviously as the head coach he should have a say on what positions we recruit and the attributes of such targets, as he knows the squad best.
The club should be sceptical and rigorous in their due diligence if he names specific players and a consensus should be reached otherwise its pointless hiring DOF and recruitment staff.

C'est Moi Cantona

No, we need to get away from the squad needing a full rebuild everytime we change the manager.

Cloud7

He should have a say in positions, but a minimal say and if I’m being honest I would much rather ETH and subsequent managers just coach what they are given

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Signings should be based on what style of football the club want to implement. The manager can then try to get the best out of them

peridigm

History shows he knows feck all about selecting the right players so it's a no for me dog.

Andersons Dietician

Of course he should have a say in what he thinks he needs to play in the manner he wants but I’m sure the conversations happen at almost every club that has a Dof.

He gives an idea of what he is looking for and then it’s up to the DOF along with the scouts to find that player or players that fit the profile requested. The Dof will still be the one that says these are the guys we’ve looked at, this guy is really promising, spoken to his agent and it’s a doable deal. This is the one we should go for.

It’s up to ETH to trust someone else’s opinion then. But then a lot of these guys have their own scouts taht they have trusted relationships with that would work with the scouting team and give their own opinion on the player to the manager.

Doracle

Of course he should have an input but he shouldn’t be choosing targets. He hasn’t shown any ability to judge players at all yet.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it not the manager who dictates the style of play? If not what are we paying him for?
Not always, the club can implement a vision of what style they want and recruit a coaching structure to implement that. The trouble with leaving it to the manager each time is that the club then needs a reset when they are sacked. There should be a transitional method to recruitment, rather than another reset.

The club has tried so many different methods that its left the team in a complete mess.

Revan

Assumptionman
He has been so terrible both in signings and coaching, that he should thank his lucky stars if he will be in the job in the summer. So, if INEOS continue emulating the previous regime and still not sack him, at the very least, should remove any say of him for transfers. He has already shown that he has no idea whatsoever to judge a player (seriously, how on Earth he coached Antony and thought it was a goo idea to bring him here, regardless of the price).

On an ideal world though, providing that the manager is not terrible like EtH is, the manager should have some say in a signing. Not veto or nonsense like that, but should be in constant communication with the club about which areas need addressing, and exchange opinions on what players the club should sign. Then the ultimate decision should be to the DoF and the recruitment team, with consultation from the data science team. So, the club should sign players that the scouts like, that the data scientists like, that are in positions we need, and that are at a fair price. If the manager does not agree, he can quit.

daveskimufc

He should say "get me a marauding right back, who can cross and tackle" and off INEOS go to find it.

Kostov

If he explains how he convinced himself and an entire football club that Antony was good enough to be bought for anything above 15m euros. Otherwise he can do one.

Teja

The manager should always have a say in the transfers, anyone suggesting anything else has no idea what they're talking about.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Not always, the club can implement a vision of what style they want and recruit a coaching structure to implement that. The trouble with leaving it to the manager each time is that the club then needs a reset when they are sacked. There should be a transitional method to recruitment, rather than another reset.

The club has tried so many different methods that its left the team in a complete mess.
You think we hired ETH with any vision other than ‘give him what he wants’?!!
Ideally yes I agree, and then obviously recruitment and youth development both feed into that style but we haven’t had a competent DOF to oversee that vision.

Revan

Assumptionman
If he explains how he convinced himself and an entire football club that Antony was good enough to be bought for anything above 15m euros. Otherwise he can do one.
Wouldn't that be 15m euros too much?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The manager always has a say in clubs that don't have megalomaniac owners. He doesn't have the power to buy someone though. People are living in a dreamland thinking EtH took out the checkbook and signed Antony himself. His bosses could well enough have said that he wasn't good enough value for money and refused to buy but they didn't because they didn't have a clue at what they were doing.

neon_badger

I get the obvious reasoning behind saying no, but if we go down that road we are better off just sacking him. I've often thought we could remove the responsibility of signing players from the current/future manager and bring someone else in to focus on that allowing the manager to focus on tactics/training/team selection etc.. but this doesn't work because no manager worth hiring would allow themselves to work under this system, they will always want their players. Do we want to be known as club that appoints a manager then publicly humiliates them for failings that extend beyond the manager, it's a bit kneejerk. Build a structure that allows a DOF, manager, coaching staff and scouts to all work towards a predesigned vision.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Fine with him having a veto on suggested targets.

What the club needs are people in place who have the backbone to veto the manager's suggestions as well.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The manager always has a say in clubs that don't have megalomaniac owners. He doesn't have the power to buy someone though. People are living in a dreamland thinking EtH took out the checkbook and signed Antony himself. His bosses could well enough have said that he wasn't good enough value for money and refused to buy but they didn't because they didn't have a clue at what they were doing.
This is true and it’s been said he was for sale for a lot less at the beginning of the window but we sat on our hands and it drove the price way up. Not to mention our scouts gave him the thumbs down before any of this

If he can’t get Antony looking like value for money, a player he knows inside out, he shouldn’t be allowed have much more input on the final say

DavelinaJolie

Should he and his agent be picking the players we sign? No.

Should he be able to decline players he doesn't think he can fit into his scheme? I don't see a problem with that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Manager (any manager) should have a final say about players (yes or no) and nothing else.
Erik, with his record, not even that.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I actually don't think the manager should have a veto - at least not an unconditional one.

For example, what if the recruitment team wants to purchase a player for the future at a reasonable price but the manager feels under pressure to get immediate results?

Managers usually don't stick around for longer than 2-3 years at any given club, but the strategic planning of the club, the DOF, and the recruitment team has to have a longer time horizon.

cj_sparky

I think a manager needs to be able to present what he thinks his squad needs, although I do feel that the clubs recruitment team (DOF, Scouting, Data etc) should be providing him with a list of players that have been fully scouted and that can include comparing to a player that the manager may want in that position. When the final list is presented, I'd have no problem with a manager having a veto.

What I want more than anything is someone in power to say NO. When Maguire is deemed as "no better than what we have", you don't go out and spend £80m on him a summer later. When your scouts identify Antony as a £25-30m player, you don't go and spend £85m on him.

git_united

The article mentions veto power, which I take to mean the power to say no if he doesn’t like a signing. Under those circumstances, the Antonys and Onanas of the world aren’t pushed by him but maybe a Sancho transfer is vetoed.

Donut

He won’t be our manager in a year, so why let him have any say?

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
No. The DoF should be the one signing players and the manager should only be tasked with getting the best out of them. The players should be chosen by the playing style the club wants to implement and sustain regardless of who the manager is. Just like the players, the managers should be chosen by whether they fit the playing style in question so a proper football culture could be established at the club at all levels. Just what Brighton did with replacing Potter with De Zerbi and I’m sure if the Italian leaves they would be looking to bring in someone who could continue with this style rather than get someone with a completely different philosophy or lack of such.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Think anyone saying no is abit of an idiot to be honest. Yes the manager should get some say on transfers, the big thing is, it shouldn’t be the only say. It should be part of a proper due diligence structure where the scouts and requirement team hold the ultimate power. I do think as a manager of Manchester Utd though, you should at least have the power to shape your squad the same as Pep at City and Klopp at Liverpool.