Should Fred be offered a new contract?

Lee565

No, we have seen a far more talented and consistent player in pogba who cost 80 million leave for free and we have managed ok, I'm sure we will be just fine without fred on unjustified wages for his 3 or 4 good games per season, even a youth player can pull off 3 or 4 good games at Fred's level

davidmichael

If we bring in someone like De Jong then I don’t see ETH giving the go ahead on a new contract for Fred as we’ve got Casemiro and McTominay already playing that role for us with Mejbri, Galbraith, Savage and Zidane coming through as well as Eriksen so that’s 8 players for 2 positions so I can see Fred and VDB being moved on in the summer.

Gazautd18

Nope. Seen enough after tonight.
Likeable guy an everything but when he plays he's a hindrance.
He'll have the odd good game though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wouldn’t. Why reward mediocrity? Maybe offer him another year on reduced terms - if any other club is willing to match that then I take my fecking hat off to them

edgecutter

On that tonight, it's a big fat no.

That said we can't ditch him just yet, it would be nice if we could blood iqbal and see if he can take his spot.

Redfrog

I can leave with McTominay staying, being Casimero’s sub but to have a strong midfield, we need someone to play DLP, as Eriksen and someone who can give some competition to Bruno.

So we have to get ride and replace Fred and VdB.

Will Singh

To much Fred hate, he plays to the best of he’s ability and gives it 100% every game. He’s not on the level we need at United which is why I think we need to sell him but I ain’t going to bash a player who gives it he’s all!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Some murmurs that he will be offered a new 3-year deal. A fairly limited player who turns 30 this season. Should we really be doing this?

Woah, didn't realize he turns 30 this season. For some reasons I still had him around 25 or so in my mind.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
As much as Fred annoyed me this game, you keep him. He had a bad game but he also offers something when he's good. Can't be quick to throw a player who's barely play during the season. Not very long ago he had an outstanding game against Tottenham. He'll always be poor on the ball to some extent. He'll misplace simple passes and all that but he can still offer other qualities such as pressing and energy, ball recovery which are important to a manager like ETH.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
He is today's Mata. A player whose obvious talents were under utilized by successive managers.

I suspect ETH will offer him a deal.

PoTMS

Absolutely not. One of him or McTominay needs moving on. His resale value (with United being the selling club) is about £3m.

Red Royal

He is fine...remember his game against Spurs and has had few minutes since then. We are to quick to write of players .ETH will sort him out.

AndySmith1990

He is fine...remember his game against Spurs and has had few minutes since then. We are to quick to write of players .ETH will sort him out.
He's been here for several years. If anything we're too slow to write off players

Judas

Open to offers
He's at the very best a squad option. But honestly, I can't stand watching him play the majority of the time. Even at his best, we should be able to find someone who can do his job comfortably better.

Jordi

I'd keep Fred but I agree he is more of a squad player going forward. He's on what...120k a week or so? If he's willing to stay at that wage or even re-adjust to 90/100k a week and accept he's a rotation player then I'd be happy to keep him. If he's looking for an increase in wages then it's a NO. He's not getting that wage anywhere else.

Tarrou

I don't think he's good enough to stay on as a squad player

we have McTominay so having two squad players who aren't the best with the ball isn't going to get us very far

Dempsey19

Not a chance.

Offering him a contract would show we have learned sweet F all from the past.

Any player who's not good enough nearing the end of their contract should be left go.

Chairman Steve

Ander Herrera all over again. Decent player but we could do better so we shouldn’t yield to a wage and contract extension befitting of someone who would be starting most weeks and be expected to contribute significantly every game.

If he’s on roughly the same wages or a minor payrise then I guess he’s a decent squad option.

Ollie Derbyshire

Some of the comments are laughable and the posters should give their heads a wobble. We should renew but not for 3yrs, I’d be happy with a 2yr extension.

Djemba-Djemba

Couldn't agree more. I get people getting annoyed at negativity, but my god, Fred isn't good enough, and proves it more often than not. He makes me sad.
I'm the same. His passing is just diabolical.

Yes you get the odd game like vs Spurs where he's good, but for every one of them you get 8 where he plays like he did tonight.

Djemba-Djemba

Because it’s mid game :lol:

He’s shown enough to show he can be a useful squad player
It's not mid game into his debut.

He's been here 5 years, it's not kneejerk to have an opinion on him.

Disagree, he's not a useful squad player. It's a coin flip whether he's going to play well or stink the place out, you can't be relying on players like that.

We need more consistency, he'd had enough chances.

AndySmith1990

Because it’s mid game :lol:

He’s shown enough to show he can be a useful squad player
Ah, the old useful squad player argument. Just as Lingard was a useful squad player. McTominay is a useful squad player. With so many useful players in the squad it's amazing we've come nowhere close to winning anything for years

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's not mid game into his debut.

He's been here 5 years, it's not kneejerk to have an opinion on him.

Disagree, he's not a useful squad player. It's a coin flip whether he's going to play well or stink the place out, you can't be relying on players like that.

We need more consistency, he'd had enough chances.
Coming from someone whos username is Djemba Djemba :lol:

Fred has his uses.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Ah, the old useful squad player argument. Just as Lingard was a useful squad player. McTominay is a useful squad player. With so many useful players in the squad it's amazing we've come nowhere close to winning anything for years
Lingard was just shit. McTominay serves a similar purpose to Fred.

r1z3mu

Yes, we should offer new deal but only if is not in starting 11.

Kaos

As hopelessly limited as he is sometimes, he's still one of our 'deadweights' that I believe we'd be able to sell easily. Brazil international and a hard worker to boot, I'm sure he'd have plenty of suitors if he was up for sale.

I'd personally offer him a short contract with no improved terms, and then possibly fetch a fee for him the summer after next once we hopefully have better options in midfield.