Should Luke Shaw be converted to a midfielder?

Utdstar01

Is @Adam-Utd actually Ed Woodward preparing us for the disappointment when we don't sign a midfielder and this is his genius alternative plan?

Web of Bissaka

It could work but I highly doubt it.

Banes
  • No wide passing range
  • Vision? i.e. awareness of teammates and opponents
  • Positional awareness
  • Questionable fitness/stamina
  • Still quick?
  • Poor marking ability?
  • Covering skill/sense?
It can still work in a midfield of three but in a two, I think it'll depends on his midfield partner to provide what's lacking.

Boons
  • Can be discipline
  • Short passes combos
  • Flicks and skills
  • Carry and drive ball forward
  • Attacking instinct
  • Can defensive-hold an opposing player
And I don't think being good at one on one is crucial in midfield battle. Also I'm not sure if Shaw is really that good at holding the ball (big difference between holding in the centre as midfielder and near the touchline as LB).

The banes stated earlier are my observations of Shaw under Ole (caretaker and manager period), contrast to Mourinho's more "defensive" i.e. closed ended and deeper positions system where he has less emphasis on more "work".

Have to see Shaw first play there so can judge better.

Danish Wizard

I can't see Shaw make it as a central midfielder. Why not play the players in the positions where they are best.?

Lee565

Without making a new thread, which players do you think could do a good job in a different position than what they best known for playing?

Axel - dm, rb
Fred - left back
Pogba - false 9
Lingard- cm
Bissaka - rcb in a back 3
Rojo - dm (would probably pick up a few reds in that position though)

Son

He’s not Philip Lahm quality. Not even close to that football IQ. Why wouldn’t we just buy an actual midfielder who’s already a better player?

I think we should use him as a rotation option at LB to save his fitness or even better, sell him and get a better LB who is more productive going forward. Don’t really rate him, never have.

SteveW

He could probably do a decent Anderson impression. In every sense. Still a stupid idea.

Bondi77

And this was our player of last season and the fans player of last season. I think he is solid when he is fit but he has had his fair share of injuries already in his career.
Williams has got potential so we have got good options at LB for the future and hopefully Luke’s injuries will soon be behind him.

Gordon S

Given the competition we have in midfield i'd say he has an honest chance.

Son

He could probably do a decent Anderson impression. In every sense. Still a stupid idea.
I had such high hopes for Anderson when he came back from injury and had like 4 solid games in a row.

He was actually a talented player for the first few years. A younger Fergie may have had the energy to help turn him into a decent midfielder for us. There was defo a solid player in there at the time. Schalke semi final he was brilliant I remember.

Anderson was allowed to slip through the cracks a bit like Shaw for most of his career here. Mourinho playing the tough card with Shaw did him a favour but his body lets him down with injuries.

SteveW

I had such high hopes for Anderson when he came back from injury and had like 4 solid games in a row.

He was actually a talented player for the first few years. A younger Fergie may have had the energy to help turn him into a decent midfielder for us. There was defo a solid player in there at the time. Schalke semi final he was brilliant I remember.

Anderson was allowed to slip through the cracks a bit like Shaw for most of his career here. Mourinho playing the tough card with Shaw did him a favour but his body lets him down with injuries.
I liked Anderson too. There was definitely a player in there if he had the right motivation.

My comment was actually pretty serious to be honest. Stylistically Shaw in midfield wouldn't look a million miles different to Anderson. Very left footed, able to "attack the space", somewhat barrel chested, aggressive in the tackle, average shooting.

I'd much prefer just go buy a bloody midfielder though. No idea why we have decided to stop doing that.