Should Ten Hag get the sack if he fails to qualify for the CL?

Should ten Hag get the sack if he fails to qualify for the Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If we sign a number 9 he is gone. He should be gone irrespective of that.
Absolutely, he should be gone even if he scores 100 goals in our last 4 games.

However, based on his comments today and the fact that ETH keeps playing him every game, it does genuinely seem like the club is happy with him and would be fine with him staying.

lsd

The Oracle
I have to ask what you're on about.
Weghorst did start in our last loss, and in the other games, he's been subbed in, while there are other attacking options on the bench e.g. Pellistri - honestly, it's not that hard to understand.

He comes on in a number 10 position and pushes Bruno to the right, correct? Pray tell, what position does Pellistri play?

To spell it out just in case, if Pellistri is subbed in rather than Weghorst, Bruno keeps his place and we have our most creative player in his best position with an actual right winger on the right.

The only player keeping Pellistri out of the team is Antony

lsd

The Oracle
Wout was 6 times second half sub in last 7 games over Pellistri who was next to him on the bench, which means that he is the one literally keeping Pellistri out of the team.

You are so right and even worse he is also keeping out Brandon Williams and Jack Butland as well

Big_Bro

Eth has done a fantastic job in his first season, even if he doesn't make top 4 this season. I've seen worse from top managers at utd post Fergie, who were given more time but failed to deliver and we had to endure boring matches and uninspiring TV interviews. Love his signings and man mgt, think the players love and respect him.

There are still areas I'd love the man to improve, like being ruthless in his decision to let underperforming players leave or not including their names on the match day team sheet.

For all the praise of him being an astute tactician, I really haven't seen much improvement in tactics from Ole's era at utd rather from what I've seen, I think Ole was better tactically in handling opposition teams.

He's not a Fergie or Jose Mourinho, but he should improve his pre and post match interviews especially when the team loses, just look for better excuses after any loss.

I still think he's the right man for the job from glimpses of the already existing team at their best, I can only imagine what he is capable of with a team built in his image.

I'd give him a long time to rebuild and I wonder, if not him who at the moment?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The only player keeping Pellistri out of the team is Antony
True, but Antony comes off pretty much every game and Pellestri rarely gets on, Sancho is always preferred, I think ETH needs to explain at some point why Pellestri isn't getting a chance because I don't understand why TBH

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You are so right and even worse he is also keeping out Brandon Williams and Jack Butland as well
Dont act stupid when you are not. You don't think attacking player coming on when we are chasing/closing the game has anything to do with other attacking player on the bench?

By your same logic Martial can only be subbed for Weghorst, and not for Sancho or Sabitzer for example?

Wishe

Eth has done a fantastic job in his first season, even if he doesn't make top 4 this season. I've seen worse from top managers at utd post Fergie, who were given more time but failed to deliver and we had to endure boring matches and uninspiring TV interviews. Love his signings and man mgt, think the players love and respect him.

There are still areas I'd love the man to improve, like being ruthless in his decision to let underperforming players leave or not including their names on the match day team sheet.

For all the praise of him being an astute tactician, I really haven't seen much improvement in tactics from Ole's era at utd rather from what I've seen, I think Ole was better tactically in handling opposition teams.

He's not a Fergie or Jose Mourinho, but he should improve his pre and post match interviews especially when the team loses, just look for better excuses after any loss.

I still think he's the right man for the job from glimpses of the already existing team at their best, I can only imagine what he is capable of with a team built in his image.

I'd give him a long time to rebuild and I wonder, if not him who at the moment?
Nagelsmann

Eddy_JukeZ

He absolutely not be sacked for finishing 5th, however, if reports from this morning are true - he should absolutely be sacked if he decides to offer Wout Weghorst a longer term contract. I can’t trust the judgement of a man anymore if he goes down that road.
I can only hope that's not true.

If he somehow wants Weghorst to stay, the board should overrule him and give him absolutely zero authority on deciding what players to bring in.

Big Ben Foster

Supports

If he somehow wants Weghorst to stay, the board should overrule him and give him absolutely zero authority on deciding what players to bring in.
Unfortunately, the board's judgment isn't any better, based on what we've seen so far. They'd happily sign off on it.

Eddy_JukeZ

Unfortunately, the board's judgment isn't any better, based on what we've seen so far. They'd happily sign off on it.
Then once the new owners come in, they should absolutely bin everyone associated with that decision(if it came to that).

There is simply no chance Weghorst deserves a permanent deal.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Ridiculous thread but to answer - obviously not. There are players at that club years that have consistently let the club down that need to be f*cked off. Ten Hag needs a few years, like Arteta at Arsenal.
Good to see you cunto

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Agreed, but for me personally, I’m not sure that would be the end of it. It is difficult to have confidence in a Manchester United manager that thinks Weghorst is a good player that he wants to use. It then starts calling his other footballing philosophies into question.

That said, I’m in the camp of ‘he can’t possibly think Weghorst is good enough’. Although I do think he did think this in January when he brought him in, but I can excuse that error of judgment, bit can’t excuse still thinking the same after watching what we have watched for 5 months.

Eddy_JukeZ

Agreed, but for me personally, I’m not sure that would be the end of it. It is difficult to have confidence in a Manchester United manager that thinks Weghorst is a good player that he wants to use. It then starts calling his other footballing philosophies into question.

That said, I’m in the camp of ‘he can’t possibly think Weghorst is good enough’. Although I do think he did think this in January when he brought him in, but I can excuse that error of judgment, bit can’t excuse still thinking the same after watching what we have watched for 5 months.
I'm inclined to agree. It is hard to trust a manager who has faith in Weghorst even after his performances lately.

Some of Ten Hag's decision making lately has completely perplexed me. I thought he was managing fairly well up to the league cup final. Since then though, he's unfortunately been a disaster with some of his management. I don't understand how he can justify shifting Bruno out wide to then play Weghorst in Bruno's position essentially. It's just indefensible.

Wilt

Don’t think he should or would be sacked.

However, given the lead Utd had…. the shit will hit the fan big time if Utd lose top 4 to Liverpool.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm inclined to agree. It is hard to trust a manager who has faith in Weghorst even after his performances lately.

Some of Ten Hag's decision making lately has completely perplexed me. I thought he was managing fairly well up to the league cup final. Since then though, he's unfortunately been a disaster with some of his management. I don't understand how he can justify shifting Bruno out wide to then play Weghorst in Bruno's position essentially. It's just indefensible.
Indeed, although he’s generally impressed me and I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt due to not having much to choose from, particularly in attacking areas. However, if in a summer where he gets to continue the construction of his squad he decides voluntarily (for the second time), that he wants Weghorst in it, then it’s not unreasonable to call that into question.

At present though, the available options for rotating, trying things etc haven’t been too extensive, especially with injuries. Perhaps if McTominay were fit (another who doesn’t belong here mind), he wouldn’t have played WW in midfield against West Ham and may have been content with Scott’s additional height instead. He hasn’t had too many pieces of late.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I definitely don't think he should get sacked, but if he blows top 4 and decides to keep DDG and Wout, he'll be going into next season with a lot less goodwill and a much shorter rope - especially if new owners come in and they install their own CEO and DOF.

jm99

For the people who said no, would the answer be different if he loses out on the champions league by losing each of the next 4 games? Cos for me that probably would swing it

MyBloodIsRed

I mean he needed a striker and we gave him Wout even with Martials injury record and CR7 gone. That was diabolical! The glazers fecked us once again. We have one one to score goals and frankly haven’t had a good striker since RVP.

we were unlucky with Case’s two suspensions, Eriksen and Garnachos injuries…

scottser

There are some really fukn stupid threads on here, but this one takes the whole packet of biscuits.

Eddy_JukeZ

For the people who said no, would the answer be different if he loses out on the champions league by losing each of the next 4 games? Cos for me that probably would swing it
We finish the season by losing our next 4 games and then lose in the FA Cup Final?

That would be a disaster honestly.

Eddy_JukeZ

I mean he needed a striker and we gave him Wout even with Martials injury record and CR7 gone. That was diabolical! The glazers fecked us once again. We have one one to score goals and frankly haven’t had a good striker since RVP.

we were unlucky with Case’s two suspensions, Eriksen and Garnachos injuries…
We didn't give him Weghorst.

He wanted him and got him. You think the board scouted and brought in Weghorst?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Lotta posts in here gonna look very silly when we add a second cup to our 3rd place finish.

jm99

We finish the season by losing our next 4 games and then lose in the FA Cup Final?

That would be a disaster honestly.
Yeah, if that happened rather than it being say 2 wins and 2 draws and Liverpool win 3 and we miss out on the champions league, if instead we just lose the next 4, would people want ten hag out? Cos at that point I would, I'd be OK for him to go another year in the first scenario but in the second case I'd want him gone

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
We were comfortably in 4th place. Now we are shitting ourselves. We should never have got to this point. Now all the excuses start to be paraded.

Edwards6

We didn't give him Weghorst.

He wanted him and got him. You think the board scouted and brought in Weghorst?
You think he would of chose an emergency loan signing if he had the chance to actually buy a proper striker? There was obviously no money available to him so who was he supposed to sign on loan instead of Weghorst?

berbasloth4

We won’t lose top four don’t fret but after the mess of last season, if in august you were offered this season would you have took it?

we finally have a bit of direction, we finally have won a trophy, it wasn’t not going to be fixed over night.

even if the unthinkable happened and we fell out of top 4 there is still a plan and a direction.

people using weghorst as an excuse? Who else could we sign Van Basten? He obviously took weghorst cause wasn’t allowed anyone else. He had the Ronaldo shite to deal with. He has had an excuse of a squad to try work with. Nearly every player he has worked with this season is a better version of last seasons. I’d advise fans to be patient.

Wishe

I think he needs to go regardless of the top 4 or not. He just does not seem to be the man unfortunately, the sooner we change it the sooner we can find the right man. Lets end this misery. We have not made any progress since Ole was here, and we sacked a club legend for similar results, why should Seven Haag get a longer rope?

evil_geko

I think he needs to go regardless of the top 4 or not. He just does not seem to be the man unfortunately, the sooner we change it the sooner we can find the right man. Lets end this misery. We have not made any progress since Ole was here, and we sacked a club legend for similar results, why should Seven Haag get a longer rope?
:houllier:

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Again, real Madrid got rid of benitez after 6 months, when they were 4 points off the top in la liga and had qualified for the last 16 of the champions league, on here that would decried as rash, stupid, moronic. They then won the next 3 champions leagues
They plugged the plug, and won 3 champions league in 3 years. As many as the mighty Man United have won in their whole history. Shows you how we overate ourselves/club and United Way & United DNA.

Chelsea have won 2 Champions League in the last 11 years, United have won 2 Champions League in over last 50 years.

Before Pep, City had gone 4 seasons with 1 League title. After Pep City have gone 6 seasons with 4 titles. If you add this season it will be 7 seasons with 5 league titles.

Yes football is a cycle but a manager is the most important figure. A good manager will absolutely change the direction of the club, that's why poor managers get sack almost within 1-2 years in demanding clubs.

Is ETH a poor manager or elite manager? now we can't tell for sure so we give him the benefit of the doubt.
I believe ETH has never competed in Champions League final in is career, he has competed only once in Champions League semi final. I believe he has never competed in any European Final.
His competitors in England Pep, Klopp have been in multiples Champions League finals, successive Champions League Semi finals. Other European finals.

As you can see, ETH is very inexperienced against his main competitors but we can say he is a manager on upward trend. Also results this season show he is inexperienced in some squad management and team structure.
What people need to understand is he can come short of Pep and Klopp. Guys have to accept it can go both ways so we need to be sober to the fact he is facing considerable competition.

We give him another season, as we look for pointers of if he has learnt his lessons about premier league. Because to win the league you need around 29-30 wins. Both Arsenal & City are at 26 -25 wins now with maximum of 30 -28 wins respectively.

So the question is can Ten Hag deliver a 30 outright wins in a Premier League Season? Can he control 30 games outright in a 38 games season?
That's the main question we should be asking ourselves

Because winning the League means you were the best team in the country, winning any cup competitions means you had a better season, with the degree of better season determined by the cup competition won. ( Carabao Cup is not equal to Champions League )

sugar_kane

Since the poll is unequivocal with nearly 90% of us knowing such a move would be ridiculous, why even keep the thread open? It's mainly just people saying it's a stupid idea, with the occasional crank popping up talking nonsense.

Besides, it's built on a false premise that United managers are sacked for not making it to the Champions League. There is a correlation, sure, but only Moyes and Van Gaal lost their jobs at this precise point - making the most recent example of it happening nearly 7 years ago. Rangnick doesn't count as he was never going to stay anyway.

Mourinho went mid way through the season when we were still in the Champions League, Solskjaer ditto. The reason was because they'd lost the dressing room and the results and football had gone to shit.

In the case of Van Gaal he'd also lost the dressing room and the football had gone to shit, same with Moyes. Therefore the reason for us sacking managers is more driven by factors such as these (and rightly so) rather than our CL qualification.

Revan

Assumptionman
After calming down and thinking more, I changed my vote. I haven’t seen much to convince me he is that good, but it is clear that the structure above him is a far bigger problem. Changing the manager won’t change anything except worsen the problem cause then we would go for another style having even less suitable players.

Saying that, even without much financial backing, I think we should expect 73-75 points plus next season (coaching and young players like Diallo, Garnacho and Pellestri having a higher role). And if we somehow back him with 200m+ war chest, then I think we should be looking for an 80+ point season if not competing for title for him to deserve a third season.

Saying that, I also expect the new hierarchy to be far less patient, especially if Qatar buys the club so I can understand them sacking ten Hag and bringing their own manager (and supporting structure) if we do not get top 4.

Biggins

Still no for me unless ETH starts WW in all these games or signs WW permanently.

For all his likability, WW has no place in a team like United and I would be terrified if ETH decides to sign WW permanently as this would mean that we have another manager with no clue whatsoever.

Judas

Open to offers
Real Madrid is the most elite club in world football. Simply ruthless winners. At this point in time, how any Utd fan can scoff at how they operate is bonkers. Obviously they've had some government help along the way and La Liga is a bit of a mess.

Barca are a joke though.

Mou Mou Land

After watching the latest 'no show' against West Ham, I think many could quite rightly think that he has 'lost the dressing room' as common vernacular has it. If we were watching any other team spectacularly implode like we have we would rightly say that this team really appears not to be playing for the manager, and that it might be the fact he keeps on playing what are perceived as his favourites regardless of their form and having a constantly predictable substitution policy.
We have said exactly the same about our last few managers after false dawns, so it may be something more intrinsically rotten in the club, but I am starting to think that Ten Hag is nowhere as good as people have built him up to be. He has not been lauded done out of stupidity or blind loyalty, merely the fact we the fans desperately want it to be right, but keep being let down.