Should the League Cup be a British cup?

Web of Bissaka

I would make the League Cup a handicap based on age and appearances. So the top six teams would be restricted to under 21s for example, 3rd division no restrictions, and a sliding scale in between. Cleverer mathematicians than I would adjust the handicap, season by season, to give everyone a chance.

For those who know horse racing I would turn the League Cup into football's Grand National, to differentiate it from the Cheltenham Gold Cup of the FA and League competitions.
Was thinking similarly along this line.

Make the League Cup, 23 y.o. and younger players only restriction for EPL teams, but no age restrictions for all the lower divisions. Also, special treatment given to the 3 (or was it 2?) teams promoted to EPL this season, no age restrictions.

This way, we can "force" and help the top teams in giving their young players and promoting youth the necessary platform of breakthrough every season. Better chance anyway. Those ongoing "youth issue" and "lack of english footballers at EPL" can be solved easily. It'll also help England National team, and make the League Cup a lot more exciting, as it is the stage to see new England stars, and new young stars. Not only that, theoretically it would also help the career of the young footballers at the top clubs, who finds it hard as they encounter big blockage of breaking through to the first team, or even the squad.

By exposing them to play at this cup against the many teams at lower divisions, the stated teams then see the quality of the young stars, and tempted to bring/buy them in. The young stars could even be expose to the lower teams by playing against them and see how the clubs are, their style of play, tactics and formations, their fans, their manager, etc, and could use those to ponder on joining. The more these talented young footballers who have undergone training at the best facilities with the top team, join the lower teams.... the more the lower teams improve their football level.... and the more the teams breakthrough to EPL challenging the top teams. The lower divisions would also improve by a big notch, and become a lot more interesting to watch.

Yess, I could see it, English football at its peakest. The attitude is already there where the lower teams have a go when playing against the top teams, whether it's in League or FA cups eg. Wigan beat City recently. I think it's only in England where we get to see this David vs Goliath thing, or in other words, beating/killing the giants. Overall, English football would improve and become a lot more fun, and us spectators will get the benefit of seeing quality entertaining football, at every level.

:lol: Okay, just realized this post of mine is off-topic. The British Cup idea is also interesting, and worth to consider, but imo, too big of a change, since traditionally league cup is being played by teams in England only no?. The history of it, as little as it is in comparison, can make it deemed valueless or something. Also, have to take into consideration travelling expenses. Instead, how about having it as a new short tournament cup, during pre-season or slightly earlier, and see how it goes. Could help a lot, especially to the Irish and Scottish leagues. Well.. having Manchester United vs against you, even if it's a friendly.. people will know, and if you grab attentions, imagine what it can bring. Also, if it's done earlier, top english clubs have to use a lot more from the academy, since those times are when top footballers prefers to enjoy their holiday, so that way, it's still interesting to see youngsters given the chance. :drool:

pauldyson1uk

Play the games midweek.
Night time Final 7.45.
Cl spot for the winners.
Half time show like Super Bowl.
Scrap replays.

Winning a trophy should always mean more than finishing fourth.
Nah , have to disagree with all your points, some of the best football days I have had have been FA Cup matches.
The Final should be at 3pm on a Saturday.
CL spot , just no.
Half time show, most of the time the SB half time show is dreadful.
No replays, OK you have a fair point there.

ZupZup

I think an Anglo-Scottish cup like in the past could be fun. Not sure a British one could work so well as if you involve the Welsh league... the quality is not there. I've been to Barry Town to watch a game... and I probably could have got a game to be fair.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
League cup is pretty useless and I don't know about other people but I hate the format of the FA Cup where a draw means there's a second game.

Rochdale and Newport managed to draw against Spurs and instead of extra time and having a great chance to knock them out, they'll play away and most likely get knocked out.
I agree that replays are a bit of a pain, though the smaller clubs relish forcing a replay against a bigger club, especially if the replay is away as they get 50% of gate income. Rochdale getting a replay at Wembley will be huge for their club's finances. I think that is a major reason why replays haven't been scrapped.

stevoc

20 years ago maybe but these days it would be pointless. The Scottish teams would all get knocked out in the early rounds.

SirAF

Ageist
League cup is pretty useless and I don't know about other people but I hate the format of the FA Cup where a draw means there's a second game.

Rochdale and Newport managed to draw against Spurs and instead of extra time and having a great chance to knock them out, they'll play away and most likely get knocked out.
This. I hate the replays in the FA Cup with passion - it’s a waste of time in a schedule that is already congested.

Dosse

Been working fine for years, always liked the occasional match against a lower league club

Last edited by a moderator:

AlwaysRed66

We did have the Anglo-scottish cup at one time of course, and I know some fans loved it as a good reason to have a trip up North for a change.

I'm from Preston and the Nob-Enders have always been fond of aways to Scotland.
We also had the Anglo Italian cup at one time, which was more interesting.

I have always liked the idea of a British Cup, but not like some of the selective ideas on here. I would like the cup to replace the league cups in all the home nations. As to the points about playing more games. You just have to have the early rounds played regionally in the countries as normal, then once say it gets to the last 32 have a British knockout draw. Sides in Europe could be exempt. The winner could get a place in the Europa League as normal, from the country who wins it. For instance an English win would see the English give up one of their European spots, whilst a Scottish win one of the Scottish spots. It would be more interesting than now.

What I would really like to see is all league cups tournaments in European countries ended, as well as the Europa League, with a European Cup competition involving all the league sides in Europe. Starting regionally as above, then eventually an open competition. Be hard to implement though.

fergies coat

Nah , have to disagree with all your points, some of the best football days I have had have been FA Cup matches.
The Final should be at 3pm on a Saturday.
CL spot , just no.
Half time show, most of the time the SB half time show is dreadful.
No replays, OK you have a fair point there.
It’s never going to go back to 3pm. Why should you get a place in the champions league for finishing fourth? Possibly around 25 points behind the actual champions. It’s a joke. You have clubs qualifying for a competition called the champions league that haven’t won a single trophy in over a decade.

JB7

Play the games midweek.
Night time Final 7.45.
Cl spot for the winners.
Half time show like Super Bowl.
Scrap replays.

Winning a trophy should always mean more than finishing fourth.
Possibly one of the worst posts I've ever seen.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah why not? it would be fun to get the Scottish teams out of the competition by the 4th round....

More seriously, I think the League Cup is fine - it's not THAT many games, and it's over by Feb. They just need to make the Semi-Final over one leg in a neutral venue (neutral meaning not Wembley) and it'd be grand.

A semi-final at a random ground, like Elland Road or Hillsbrough or something would also be cracking for fans.

Nick7

Was thinking similarly along this line.

Make the League Cup, 23 y.o. and younger players only restriction for EPL teams, but no age restrictions for all the lower divisions. Also, special treatment given to the 3 (or was it 2?) teams promoted to EPL this season, no age restrictions.

This way, we can "force" and help the top teams in giving their young players and promoting youth the necessary platform of breakthrough every season. Better chance anyway. Those ongoing "youth issue" and "lack of english footballers at EPL" can be solved easily. It'll also help England National team, and make the League Cup a lot more exciting, as it is the stage to see new England stars, and new young stars. Not only that, theoretically it would also help the career of the young footballers at the top clubs, who finds it hard as they encounter big blockage of breaking through to the first team, or even the squad.

By exposing them to play at this cup against the many teams at lower divisions, the stated teams then see the quality of the young stars, and tempted to bring/buy them in. The young stars could even be expose to the lower teams by playing against them and see how the clubs are, their style of play, tactics and formations, their fans, their manager, etc, and could use those to ponder on joining. The more these talented young footballers who have undergone training at the best facilities with the top team, join the lower teams.... the more the lower teams improve their football level.... and the more the teams breakthrough to EPL challenging the top teams. The lower divisions would also improve by a big notch, and become a lot more interesting to watch.

Yess, I could see it, English football at its peakest. The attitude is already there where the lower teams have a go when playing against the top teams, whether it's in League or FA cups eg. Wigan beat City recently. I think it's only in England where we get to see this David vs Goliath thing, or in other words, beating/killing the giants. Overall, English football would improve and become a lot more fun, and us spectators will get the benefit of seeing quality entertaining football, at every level.

:lol: Okay, just realized this post of mine is off-topic. The British Cup idea is also interesting, and worth to consider, but imo, too big of a change, since traditionally league cup is being played by teams in England only no?. The history of it, as little as it is in comparison, can make it deemed valueless or something. Also, have to take into consideration travelling expenses. Instead, how about having it as a new short tournament cup, during pre-season or slightly earlier, and see how it goes. Could help a lot, especially to the Irish and Scottish leagues. Well.. having Manchester United vs against you, even if it's a friendly.. people will know, and if you grab attentions, imagine what it can bring. Also, if it's done earlier, top english clubs have to use a lot more from the academy, since those times are when top footballers prefers to enjoy their holiday, so that way, it's still interesting to see youngsters given the chance. :drool:
That trophy already exists. It's shite and lower league fans boycott it. Checkatrade Trophy.

pauldyson1uk

It’s never going to go back to 3pm. Why should you get a place in the champions league for finishing fourth? Possibly around 25 points behind the actual champions. It’s a joke. You have clubs qualifying for a competition called the champions league that haven’t won a single trophy in over a decade.
I agree, but a place n it for the FA Cup is not the right option, that would mean all the leagues would want a place for their FA Cup equivalent winners.
I think the CL should be just for Champions, but it never will be any more, too much money involved.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
UEFA will never sanction a Champions League place being given to a cup winner, regardless of how much extra meaning it may give a domestic cup.

I think the League Cup is fine as it is, and don't really see any merit in adding Scottish teams to it on the off chance Celtic get to lose to one of the PL teams.

Number1

UEFA will never sanction a Champions League place being given to a cup winner, regardless of how much extra meaning it may give a domestic cup.
I may be wrong, but i don't think it's up to UEFA, i think it's up to the Premier League who represents them in the Champions League, although they would never do it, but i believe they even have the power have someone give the Champions League spot to a mid-table team over 4th if they wanted.

I remember reading something on this in what would happen to the 4th placed team and if an English team won the Champions League and Europa League but both finished outside the top4 and i believe it's the Premier League who decides on who represents them, as said though may have got it wrong.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I may be wrong, but i don't think it's up to UEFA, i think it's up to the Premier League who represents them in the Champions League, although they would never do it, but i believe they even have the power have someone give the Champions League spot to a mid-table team over 4th if they wanted.

I remember reading something on this in what would happen if an English team won the Champions League and Europa League but both finished outside the top4 and i believe it's the Premier League who decides on who represents them, as said though may have got it wrong.
I think you have got it wrong.

Liechtenstein, despite having a football association and being ranked 31st of the 55 UEFA nations, do not run a league structure, with all of their teams playing in the Swiss league system. However, they do run a domestic cup. As such, UEFA grant them one Europa League berth for their cup winner, but they receive no Champions League berths. The only way a team from Liechtenstein can enter the Champions League is by qualifying through the Swiss league system, which to my knowledge has never happened.

If an English team won the Champions League and another the Europa League, but both finished outside of the top 4, I believe 4th would miss out. UEFA have clarified that the maximum number of teams from one country that can enter the Champions League is five (increased from the previous limit of four which I believe was set after Liverpool's 5th place in 2005 and subsequent entry alongside Everton in the following year's competition), and I believe priority is given to the winners of the Champions League and the Europa League over 4th place in the league in the unlikely scenario you've outlined.

Teams do have to apply and be granted relevant permissions to play in the respective competitions by UEFA, which is why, if you look at some of the other European leagues (I think Romania has had it happen a few times), a team that qualifies for either the Champions League or Europa League is not actually granted permission to play, with their place being awarded to the team below them in the league, if they have not applied for the appropriate permission.

RMD83

I would welcome it. It would have been better some years back when Celtic and rangers were closer to the top English clubs. I’m not sure now days how many Scottish premiership teams could even compete in league one never mind the championship but it would add some extra interest to it.

RMD83

Clearly the idea of the champions league if for the best of Europe to compete against each other. The premise of it is great although the name makes little sense as like you said most the teams aren’t champions. Almost as ridiculous as the Americans having a World Series of baseball with no other countries in it.

Havak

Pokemon master
I like the idea really, but I think it'd just add extra games and not really be that special in the end. I'd much rather it be combined with the FA Cup to shrink the fixture list and increase the prize money and benefits doing well in the FA Cup. The two finalists should be granted a Europa League place, for example. Guaranteed. If the finalists or any of them make it into the Champion's Legue, the place should be passed down until it's to a team not in the competition above, rather than league positions. That makes winning it mean more, I suppose, or at least going further to give you a better chance.