Should we buy Costa?

Andy_Cole

Poll please?

Possibly the most dispicable player in football. But a talent. On his day one of the best strikers in the world.

Jose brought him to Chelsea. I think Chelsea would sell to us.

I think I would take him. He's a winner.

KristoferK

Wasn't he a culprit when the Chelsea players stopped playing for Mourinho?

Don't see it happening.

Bojan11

Wtf no. Morata is a way better signing
You know we can sign both?

We need two strikers anyway. Someone has to cover Ibrahimovics goals and we need to add more goals on top of that. Don't expect miracles from Rashford or Martial.

dannofdawn

I don't want to see him play for us. There's causing trouble with defenders, playing the psychology game, and then there's Costa's way of doing it. I really don't care if he is that good.

Macern

Pee pee pants
You know we can sign both?

We need two strikers anyway. Someone has to cover Ibrahimovics goals and we need to add more goals on top of that. Don't expect miracles from Rashford or Martial.
What makes you think we'll change our formation to playing with two strikers? Do you really think Pogba and Herrera would provide enough balance defensively to allow for such a change? I can't think of a single game this season we've played with only two central midfielders. We'd get overrun in midfield every game.

Bojan11

What makes you think we'll change our formation to playing with two strikers? Do you really think Pogba and Herrera would provide enough balance defensively to allow for such a change? I can't think of a single game this season we've played with only two central midfielders. We'd get overrun in midfield every game.
We can play a 5-3-2 in the big games. Chelsea don't get overrun. Morata is capable of playing across the forward line also.

Signing Morata only isn't going to solve our goalscoring problems. Incase people have forgotten but Ibrahimovic scored 28 goals last season. We can all say Martial or Rashford could kick on. Because 11 years ago we were asking the same questions when RVN left whilst we had Ronaldo and Rooney. But let's face it that Rooney and Ronaldo were on a different level to those two. You couldn't question them technically, it was more about consistency for them.

So signing Morata solves nothing because all he is doing is taking up Ibrahimovic place. We need another 20 goals from somewhere. If that's Belotti or Costa, I don't really care.

Macern

Pee pee pants
We can play a 5-3-2 in the big games. Chelsea don't get overrun. Morata is capable of playing across the forward line also.

Signing Morata only isn't going to solve our goalscoring problems. Incase people have forgotten but Ibrahimovic scored 28 goals last season. We can all say Martial or Rashford could kick on. Because 11 years ago we were asking the same questions when RVN left whilst we had Ronaldo and Rooney. But let's face it that Rooney and Ronaldo were on a different level to those two. You couldn't question them technically, it was more about consistency for them.

So signing Morata solves nothing because all he is doing is taking up Ibrahimovic place. We need another 20 goals from somewhere. If that's Belotti or Costa, I don't really care.
Chelsea don't get overrun because they play with 3 at the back and with wingbacks and often with Willian who tracks back a lot. You say we can play 5-3-2 in big games but if we're going to buy more than one striker we'll have to switch to a two striker formation for more than the big games, unless you want to bench a >70m signing?

So basically you're saying we should switch to a 5-3-2 formation permanently to allow for two strikers? It's something that could be fun to try on FM but not in real life. Mourinho will never do it and you should know that. He has always had success with 4-3-3 formations and he'll undoubtedly keep it while trying to add goalscorers to the wings. His sides have traditionally scored a lot of goals from the wings, that's how he's going to sort out our goal scoring problem.

If we made a switch to 5-3-2, what would we do with Mkhitaryan, Mata and Lingard? We would have to sell them since they can't play in that formation. We would also have to buy at least two centre backs and a left wingback. It's a daft idea imo

Bojan11

Chelsea don't get overrun because they play with 3 at the back and with wingbacks and often with Willian who tracks back a lot. You say we can play 5-3-2 in big games but if we're going to buy more than one striker we'll have to switch to a two striker formation for more than the big games, unless you want to bench a >70m signing?

So basically you're saying we should switch to a 5-3-2 formation permanently to allow for two strikers? It's something that could be fun to try on FM but not in real life. Mourinho will never do it and you should know that. He has always had success with 4-3-3 formations and he'll undoubtedly keep it while trying to add goalscorers to the wings. His sides have traditionally scored a lot of goals from the wings, that's how he's going to sort out our goal scoring problem.

If we made a switch to 5-3-2, what would we do with Mkhitaryan, Mata and Lingard? We would have to sell them since they can't play in that formation. We would also have to buy at least two centre backs and a left wingback. It's a daft idea imo

What are you talking about? Mourinho played the formation towards the back end of last season quite a few times. All managers change. Do you think Fergie just stayed with 4-4-2 all the way through his career. He changed to 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3. Mourinho also used 4-2-3-1 for Inter. Pretty sure he also used the diamond at times for Madrid.

It also makes sense on why we are looking to get Perisic as he is the type of winger who could do a job as wingback and give us a better attacking output on that side than Shaw or Darmian.

Mkhitaryan and Mata could play as the third CMs against weaker opposition. And nobody really cares about Lingard.You do realise it's a squad game right?

What is delusional thinking we going to magically find a winger who is going to get us 20 goals. The only one who is capable of doing that is Bale and that doesn't look likely he is coming.

Why would we need to buy two centre backs? We already buying one. We have Blind, Bailly, Tuabzbe, Jones and Smalling. Whilst Rojo is injured. So not sure how you work that one out.

Womp

idiot
He's not even close to being the most despicable player in world football. Doesn't even make my top 5. For the right price I'd definitely have him. Such a talent.
Really? Can't think of many worse. Ramos and Costa are the two I can't stand

Macern

Pee pee pants
What are you talking about? Mourinho played the formation towards the back end of last season quite a few times. All managers change. Do you think Fergie just stayed with 4-4-2 all the way through his career. He changed to 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3. Mourinho also used 4-2-3-1 for Inter. Pretty sure he also used the diamond at times for Madrid.
Mourinho played 3-4-2-1 or 5-2-2-1. Inside forwards behind the striker, not with two strikers.

When I said 4-3-3 formations I was including 4-2-3-1. He does use either that or a 4-3-3 with a defensive midfielder in almost every mach, most often the latter and it's no doubt his preferred formation. That's the formation he has in his mind when building a team (unless he has a CAM with a very high defensive workrate).

It also makes sense on why we are looking to get Perisic as he is the type of winger who could do a job as wingback and give us a better attacking output on that side than Shaw or Darmian.
What makes you think Perisic can play as a wing back? He's an attacking winger who can go either way and has a good shot in him as well as crossing ability. He's not a defender. He has never played a single game as a defender in his entire career that I'm aware of and I don't understand why some seem to think that we're buying Perisic to mould him into a wingback.

Mkhitaryan and Mata could play as the third CMs against weaker opposition. And nobody really cares about Lingard.You do realise it's a squad game right?
Are you serious? We're just going to shove Miki and Mata into CM against weaker sides and leave them out of the squad for every other game? It's a crazy idea. They're important players and there's nothing to suggest that Mourinho is going to make such a drastic change to the team that those players are forced to rot in the reserves.

What is delusional thinking we going to magically find a winger who is going to get us 20 goals. The only one who is capable of doing that is Bale and that doesn't look likely he is coming.
We are going to score enough goals if we:

-Improve on set-pieces
-Buy Morata
-Buy Perisic who can score 10-15 league goals a season and assist just as many
-Let Rashford and Martial develop, they'll score more consistently for us no doubt.
-Hope that Mkhitaryan is more adapted to the league next season and scores as much in the PL as he did in EL this season

Why would we need to buy two centre backs? We already buying one. We have Blind, Bailly, Tuabzbe, Jones and Smalling. Whilst Rojo is injured. So not sure how you work that one out.
Tuanzebe isn't PL level yet, let alone United level. You can't rely on Smalling and Jones and they aren't good enough either. Rojo is out until 2018 and is also injury prone. Blind isn't good enough at CB. If we're going to play permanently with three CBs then it's no doubt that we would have to buy at least two this summer.

Womp

idiot
Ramos, Pepe, Suarez, Busquets, Mascherano. Four paper tiger thugs and a glorified possum. Also, for all his amazing talent, I don't particularly like the tax dodging drug dwarf, either.
Feck, few good shouts there, don't think Pepe is nearly as bad as he use to be though.

RedDevil@84

No absolutely not. He is a good finisher, but an absolute cnut on field. I am pretty sure he is disruptive and wouldn't get along with players and coaching staff. He is always one step away from losing his cool or doing something despicable.
He ll bring more headaches than laurels

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
In the grand scheme of things he's not really that cnutish for that to be a reason not to sign him. He's more than your run of the mill cnut but not really up there with the truly cnutish ones like Pepe and Suarez. The reason he annoys so many people is because he's a world class wind up merchant. And sneaky enough to get away with. If the refs saw half the stuff he does he'd probably be suspended for more games than he'd be available for.

For footballing reasons alone, Morata would be a better signing.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Diego- No
Douglas- Yes

Diego has had trouble with Mourinho and conte and our dressing room right now is good and we do not want to spoil it. I would love for diego to boil some piss on our side, but it wont happen.

RedDevil@84

In the grand scheme of things he's not really that cnutish for that to be a reason not to sign him. He's more than your run of the mill cnut but not really up there with the truly cnutish ones like Pepe and Suarez. The reason he annoys so many people is because he's a world class wind up merchant. And sneaky enough to get away with. If the refs saw half the stuff he does he'd probably be suspended for more games than he'd be available for.

For footballing reasons alone, Morata would be a better signing.
Pepe could break legs.
Suarez could bite, foul racially abuse and dive.
Costa would dive, scratch, elbow, clean his mucus on others, spit on players..

I don't see why he is not cnutish enough for you.

Bojan11

Mourinho played 3-4-2-1 or 5-2-2-1. Inside forwards behind the striker, not with two strikers.

When I said 4-3-3 formations I was including 4-2-3-1. He does use either that or a 4-3-3 with a defensive midfielder in almost every mach, most often the latter and it's no doubt his preferred formation. That's the formation he has in his mind when building a team (unless he has a CAM with a very high defensive workrate).

What makes you think Perisic can play as a wing back? He's an attacking winger who can go either way and has a good shot in him as well as crossing ability. He's not a defender. He has never played a single game as a defender in his entire career that I'm aware of and I don't understand why some seem to think that we're buying Perisic to mould him into a wingback.

Are you serious? We're just going to shove Miki and Mata into CM against weaker sides and leave them out of the squad for every other game? It's a crazy idea. They're important players and there's nothing to suggest that Mourinho is going to make such a drastic change to the team that those players are forced to rot in the reserves.

We are going to score enough goals if we:

-Improve on set-pieces
-Buy Morata
-Buy Perisic who can score 10-15 league goals a season and assist just as many
-Let Rashford and Martial develop, they'll score more consistently for us no doubt.
-Hope that Mkhitaryan is more adapted to the league next season and scores as much in the PL as he did in EL this season

Tuanzebe isn't PL level yet, let alone United level. You can't rely on Smalling and Jones and they aren't good enough either. Rojo is out until 2018 and is also injury prone. Blind isn't good enough at CB. If we're going to play permanently with three CBs then it's no doubt that we would have to buy at least two this summer.
What are you going on about Mkhitaryan and Mata being made to rot in the reserves. You do realise it's a squad game now. Did Fabregas start every game last season or William? City have a lot of options in attack and want to sign Sanchez to top it off. People need to worry about improving the team and not worry about players who have been hit and miss for us. Or worry about one of their favourites being on the bench.

Improve set pieces? You do that by signing players who can actually take set pieces. We let nearly every player in our squad take set pieces and nobody consistently delivered.

Martial and Rashford haven't yet proven they can consistently lead the line for a team that wants to win the league. That's what the aim should be next season. A title challenge should be expected. Jose knows that. Not another season of challenging for fourth.

You do realise that Young and our best player of last season Valencia were not fullbacks originally? Perisic has the same traits as them as in he is a hard working winger but is better going forward.

Yes all our centre backs are awful. That's why we had the second best defence. Probably would have been first two years running if we actually cared about the last few games of the season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If you are going to do a poll like -- we could only get one player, Costa or Terry, who would you want?

The results would be a lot more interesting.

flappyjay

Willian tracks back a lot. Didn't see him tracking anything from the bench this past season

LeCon

Supports
St Germain Le Fouilloux
No. Costa will not score as many as Zlatan did.