Should we consider selling Pogba?

croadyman

I think us not signing Sancho will cost us Pogba next summer. Players like him have already said they want to win and play with the best, if the board want to keep our best players they need to show as much ambition as the players do.
Yeah every chance that it will and people shouldn't think that means we will get someone like Saul either because he won't fancy playing for a club in such a mess and maybe even outside the champions league too

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah every chance that it will and people shouldn't think that means we will get someone like Saul either because he won't fancy playing for a club in such a mess and maybe even outside the champions league too
We're not a mess, we're just completely void of ambition when there is a very clear market available for exploitation.

We've been told United had up to £220m to spend this summer, half of that being a credit line, half being cash in the bank. What's happened? Football won't get canceled again, this is a stupid game of chicken that we only stand to lose from.

There better be some world class talent in that youth academy ready for first team football.

croadyman

We're not a mess, we're just completely void of ambition when there is a very clear market available for exploitation.

We've been told United had up to £220m to spend this summer, half of that being a credit line, half being cash in the bank. What's happened? Football won't get canceled again, this is a stupid game of chicken that we only stand to lose from.

There better be some world class talent in that youth academy ready for first team football.
Yeah it's definitely getting boring hearing Utd using this pandemic as an excuse when other clubs have been able to do business, not talking about Chelsea as they had a transfer ban plus an owner who cares and of course got top money for Hazard & Morata.

The Original

I

i love them both. If they are both healthy next season, I would see Bruno getting far more G+A then Pogba. Pogba is still a very good player though.
He ought to since he is by far the more advanced positionally, of the two. Same way you would expect Pogba to have better figures than whoever pays in 6.

The point is, when you consider each at their best so far, there is no justification for the idea that Bruno is better than Pogba at anything other than slotting away penalties. For the last half season before this season, when Pogba has played a more attacking role under Ole, he has better stats (6 goals, 9 assists minus penalties compared to Bruno's 1 goal and 7 assists in a similar amount of time), meaning that he has actually been the better attacking player.

So where has this idea that Bruno is a better player come from?

Shark

@NotShark
It's really strange how some fans have created this Pogba vs Bruno animosity thing. Why?? We have two very good players and its impossible to discuss one without talking him down with reference to the other. I hate to be drawn into it but find your claims worthy of scrutiny.

If Bruno is that much better than Pogba, it surely will reflect in the figures, you agree? If we analyze the best half season (since Bruno has only had one half) of either player are you confident Bruno will show better numbers once penalties are removed from the equation?
Maybe because himself and Bruno are two of our most gifted players along with Martial. I'm not talking down Pogba, I'm just saying what type of talented individual I prefer to watch and it's Bruno's workrate that I look for in a United player along with talent of course. Talent ultimately means squat when you have the mentality that everything should come to you. Bruno is a player that I want in semi finals and finals, a midfielder that takes a game by the scruff of the neck and force something. Pogba has never been that type of midfielder for me, he's a brilliant cog in a machine that needs to be running well and if he wants to move on I'd not be too disappointed at this point. If as you say they can strike a partnership that goes towards us winning trophies all the better though.

Last edited:

ghagua

Isn't he supposed to be helping us win something though? That's my issue with players like Pogba, the hype that surrounds him exceeds what he actually does on the pitch. I'm fully aware he's one of our most talented players but I'd have a player like Fernandes over him any day of the week.
I said the same and got hammered from it. I remember players like Robson and Keane dragging their teammates with their will to win in games where others were struggling. I know Pogba is a different kind of player, but he should be doing the same, no matter where he is playing in the team. All we hear about him (from his agent admittedly) is that he would like to move on. He should shut his mouth, drive his young teammates to wins.

The Original

Maybe because himself and Bruno are two of our most gifted players along with Martial. I'm not talking down Pogba, I'm just saying what type of talented individual I prefer to watch and it's Bruno's workrate that I look for in a United player along with talent of course. Talent ultimately means squat when you have the mentality that everything should come to you. Bruno is a player that I want in semi finals and finals, a midfielder that takes a game by the scruff of the neck and force something. Pogba has never been that type of midfielder for me, he's a brilliant cog in a machine that needs to be running well and if he wants to move on I'd not be too disappointed at this point. If as you say they can strike a partnership that goes towards us winning trophies all the better though.
Your perspective is understandable but if we look objectively, everything you said about Pogba is true for Bruno.

Which are these games he has grabbed by the scruff off the neck? He played every minute of the three semi final exits, as well as bottlegate and no scruffs were grabbed.

He does work visibly harder than Pogba but that's not enough especially when you are talking about a true talisman.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Madrid have been waiting to offload bale before they can make an offer which will be accepted and in turn fund the Sancho purchase. All true

Shark

@NotShark
Your perspective is understandable but if we look objectively, everything you said about Pogba is true for Bruno.

Which are these games he has grabbed by the scruff off the neck? He played every minute of the three semi final exits, as well as bottlegate and no scruffs were grabbed.

He does work visibly harder than Pogba but that's not enough especially when you are talking about a true talisman.
Well he's only been here since January, but based on what I've seen of him he's far more of a grafter(with the talent to go with it) and just reeks of an attacking midfielder that's going to get us out of a lot of tough situations in the coming years, even when we're playing shite. I could of course be wrong but it's just the type of midfielder I see in comparison to Pogba since he's joined. They can both be amazing for us though, I'd just love Pogba to score a few of those screamers he was at Juve and truly unleash his potential here because as many say on here he probably is on paper our best player on ability.

He'sRaldo

Well he's only been here since January, but based on what I've seen of him he's far more of a grafter(with the talent to go with it) and just reeks of an attacking midfielder that's going to get us out of a lot of tough situations in the coming years, even when we're playing shite. I could of course be wrong but it's just the type of midfielder I see in comparison to Pogba since he's joined. They can both be amazing for us though, I'd just love Pogba to score a few of those screamers he was at Juve and truly unleash his potential here because as many say on here he probably is on paper our best player on ability.
I agree with you.

My take on this is that generally he does what you want whenever he's "unleashed" so to speak; like the comeback win over City, or the Newcastle game, or Ole's interim period. It's when he's usually placed deeper with a lot of defensive responsibilities that he's not as effective, and unfortunately that's been most of his time at the club.

The player we bought from Juve was an attacking 8 in a 3 man midfield, and we usually play him as a more controlling 6/8 in a 2 man midfield. Until we play him the way Juve did, we won't see Juve's Pogba; even though he's done better statistically.

Banana Republic

He had a good consistent 3 months in 4 years, yup well worth the investment and wage....
Considering he's now spent half his senior career at Utd, the last 4 years of inconsistency and general disappointment, despite brief periods of genuine brilliance, are more of a true measure of Pogba's quality and perceived value.
He's obviously a very talented player in many ways, but he was never a £90m player and his astronomical wages have not returned the level and consistency of performances we all expected.
He'll never get a better deal than the one he's on at the moment and Utd would be stupid to offer him the same or better terms if his contract is renewed...unless this season he can finally turn it around.

Currently he's not going anywhere, so it's down to Ole and his coaching team to get Pogba's head in the right place and if the team can kick on from the positive improvement we saw in the 2nd half of last season, there's at least some hope we might finally get our money's worth out of this player.

.....The player we bought from Juve was an attacking 8 in a 3 man midfield, and we usually play him as a more controlling 6/8 in a 2 man midfield. Until we play him the way Juve did, we won't see Juve's Pogba; even though he's done better statistically.
I agree with this, but I'll add that at Juve he was the new "young kid" coming through, playing in an experienced, quality team.
He had something to prove and it must have been exciting and motivating to be on the pitch amongst those players.
That's all long ago now though.

Last edited:

ChorltonReds

Bayern sold Thiago rather than lose him on a free next summer - how much more would we get for Pogba right now? Not a lot, who'd buy him? PSG for £40m perhaps? In an ideal world Pogba will have his best season for United and sign a new contract and I think he could have a great season. But I strongly suspect he already intends to leave on a free next summer and the people running our club will be shown to be inept for the millionth time.

Ranchero

Nobody is interested in him. He cooked his goose with his 'injury' hiatus banking on coming back in time for the Euros and a potential summer move. Coronavirus put paid to that plan.

Blood Mage

I'm honestly coming round to the idea. At least when Fernandes plays shite he still creates chances, Pogba has the worst bottom level of any world class player ever. I don't think we have a shot at recouping what we paid for him at this point though.

I'm honestly coming round to the idea. At least when Fernandes plays shite he still creates chances, Pogba has the worst bottom level of any world class player ever. I don't think we have a shot at recouping what we payed for him at this point though.
Perhaps that because Pogba is not a world class player. Anyone that claims he is, is blinded by his potential.

Having said that, he deserves a chance this season. But anyone claiming he’s world class or our best player doesn’t actually watch us or him play.

Blood Mage

Perhaps that because Pogba is not a world class player. Anyone that claims he is, is blinded by his potential.

Having said that, he deserves a chance this season. But anyone claiming he’s world class or our best player doesn’t actually watch us or him play.
I suppose that's true, a very good player who has world class moments at times is about right. I think this season is his last chance to step up otherwise we'll have to cash in soon. We can make enough money from selling him to fill at least two gaps in the squad.

norm87cro

The problem with him is that he just doesn't seem like a good professional and other clubs have picked up on that. I've been one of his worst critics but I really believe that his transfer to Madrid or PSG would benefit him as well as the club. To a certain degree it has simply been a bad match

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
He should be sold the first chance we get. I don't think we have ever had a more overhyped footballer in our team. We can't sit here and wait for this "on his day" performances that happens once every blue moon. He is our second highest earner, and he has given us absolutely nothing the last two seasons. SAF was right.. as always.

We can easily get 100m+ from Zidane at Real Madrid.

starman

We need to get a PSG rumour going, that becomes so strong that it might convince the owners that they need to buy him..

Last edited:

Blood Mage

He should be sold the first chance we get. I don't think we have ever had a more overhyped footballer in our team. We can't sit here and wait for this "on his day" performances that happens once every blue moon. He is our second highest earner, and he has given us absolutely nothing the last two seasons. SAF was right.. as always.

We can easily get 100m+ from Zidane at Real Madrid.
Nobody is paying £100m+ for him in his current form, we'll get £65-70m for him tops I reckon.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Would not blame him one bit for holding off on signing this contract because he deserves better than this shitshow
We deserve better than him. He's a fraud. Gone missing for 3 n half years out of 4.

Blake's 7

Ultimately I think history will judge Pogba as a good player when he played as part of a good team; eg a dominant Juve and World Cup winners France. I don't believe he's the type of player, either ability, character or application wise, who will pull a team up by it's jock straps and drive them forward like a Keane, Vierra or Gerrard would.
In the Covid-19 era we'll struggle to get our money back, perhaps we'd do better to try a player swap - but for who - Varane?

Lentwood

I’ve flip-flopped on my opinion of Pogba for a while because just as I’m about to right him off he does something so ridiculous you can’t help but love him.

However, I’m now at the point were I don’t think he can play as a CM in the PL. Certainly not as one of the deeper-lying midfielders. We either need to play Bruno deeper and let Pogba drift or we have to play him AML to see if that works. He manages to make everybody else around him worse when he plays CM

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Dude has just come back from Covid and was asked to start v Palace with no pre-season.

We should have fecked the Europa League off after qualifying for CL v Leicester. Sent all the mainstays from the firs XI on holiday and said to the rest of the squad that Europa was their chance to earn a place next season.

Pogba and the rest are going to take a few weeks to catch up with opponents. Can see us dropping lots of points early on.

hobbers

We missed the boat in terms of selling Pogba. No one would buy him right now. No club with the finances are interested.

Dembeza

Agree. But we are still waiting for Pogba and it's wearing thin for most of us.
I love Pogba, on his day he is word class but his low is beyond average and that is the problem. He is just not consistent for the team to rely on him but then who is reliable?

You look at the team, none of the players can match Pogba’s performance when he is on form, and all them are as bad as he is when they are off form.

The team is a mess and selling Pogba doesn’t help us when you look at the team left behind.

VivaRonaldo85

I think we’ve missed the boat on a huge transfer fee for him given the impact of the virus and how poor his form and fitness has been the last 12-18 months. I think Ole can afford to give him one last roll of the dice in an AMC role at the top of a diamond. Something like this might (and I mean might) just bring out the best in him and still gets the 3 other midfielders into the team:

Rashford Martial

Pogba

Fernandes VDB

Matic

eire-red

I just don't know anymore. We have no balance with him in the squad. Too often we lose the midfield. How long are we going to wait for the penny to drop? In half a season we've seen the performances from Bruno that we've been waiting 3/4 years to see from Pogba.

If selling Pogba funds Sancho, a CB and potentially Telles, are we not a more rounded team? How often have our backs been up against the wall and instead of him dragging us through the dirt, we see him subbed instead.

I want to see PP reach the potential we know he has. And what a player he would be if he can do that. But he's 27 now, it shouldn't be an 'IF' anymore. Anyone else feel like too much energy is wasted trying to fit him into the squad, so he can reach his true potential?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Dude has just come back from Covid and was asked to start v Palace with no pre-season.

We should have fecked the Europa League off after qualifying for CL v Leicester. Sent all the mainstays from the firs XI on holiday and said to the rest of the squad that Europa was their chance to earn a place next season.

Pogba and the rest are going to take a few weeks to catch up with opponents. Can see us dropping lots of points early on.
I get what you’re saying but there’s always an excuse for him. On balance, during his career in a United shirt, he’s been largely poor and doesn’t deserve to be anywhere near the discussion where the world class tag is concerned.

It’s a massive issue for Ole in my view, he won’t accept being dropped, regardless of his form, and as others have said, no other club has the money for him. I think Ole will have a tough time justifying a starting spot for him over Fred and others if yesterday and his end of last season form continues, but that could bring a lot of drama.

It’s rock and hard place for Ole

RedNed77

He ought to since he is by far the more advanced positionally, of the two. Same way you would expect Pogba to have better figures than whoever pays in 6.

The point is, when you consider each at their best so far, there is no justification for the idea that Bruno is better than Pogba at anything other than slotting away penalties. For the last half season before this season, when Pogba has played a more attacking role under Ole, he has better stats (6 goals, 9 assists minus penalties compared to Bruno's 1 goal and 7 assists in a similar amount of time), meaning that he has actually been the better attacking player.

So where has this idea that Bruno is a better player come from?
I find these stats really surprising, Pogba has really underwhelmed me since the restart.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think consistency is his problem. He delivers one out of every three games. My worry is that come next year or the year after we will still be basically arguing over Pogba and when will he come good.

I think we were conned. He was never a 90 million pound player. I would sell and bring in a MF who can work his bollix off and also has good enough technique.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
As usual with Pogba, it is expecting him to do everything when the manager is instructing him to do something else. Him and Bruno would be far better in a 4-3-3 IMO. Pogba’s a better goal threat than Bruno but essentially asked to double pivot alongside someone who is also a mover rather than holder.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
People just don't have perspective these days. He recovered from Coronavirus last week and looked woefully unfit. It's on Ole to throw him on when he knew his fitness level.

starman

Long shot, but a swap deal for Saul or Verratti, as i don't see anyone buying him and we still need a proper CM if Pogba leaves.

Saul is highly optimistic, as Pogba probably won't want to go to another 3rd placed team, plus Simone would be splitting blood at how little running he does....

There's a chance for Verratti, he like Pogba has gone a bit stale and might want a new challenge, they both share the same agent, Pogba will be guaranteed trophies and the massive wage increase he will want, he will have the best players in the league ahead of him and defensive players behind him needed to flourish. Downside is Verratti is a bit injury prone, but Pogba has began to enter that category as well...