Should we consider selling Pogba?

gajender

1) That is fake news. Ole got the job based on a string of good results capped off by the win at PSG. The most influential player in that run was Marcus Rashford.

2) It shows we missed a creative player not just Pogba because when Bruno came in the team looked better than when Pogba was in the team.

3) Last season, even with the lack of quality we had 54.6% possession (5th in the league)
That's misleading we aren't possession based team by design ,by the Virtue of being one of the biggest team in the premier league we would always have higher possession stats when it comes to complete season but the way we approach most of our games against teams with similar or higher quality clearly shows Ole doesn't care much for possession or control in the middle maybe things could change next season but I remain doubtful.

Strelok

Every year since Pogba's arrival there is endless debate whether or not Pogba is a world class performer, worth what we spent on him and his wages and so on, but the fact that no other clubs have even tried to take him away from us really does say it all.

If he was as good as we were expecting him to be when we purchased him, Real, PSG or Barca would have at least tried to get him, especially with the Zidane/French connection to PSG/Madrid or Barca due to their need for good midfielders, but instead got De Jong.

Pogba's not a bad player by any means, but he is not the world beater we expected, or needed, when we bought him. His defensive and concentration lapses are way too common to play deep and he doesn't provide enough goals or assists to play behind the striker which has caused us issues very, very regularly. This was apparent when Bruno arrived and in just a few months provided more actual end product than Pogba has for 18-24 months now.

Unsure if it's all due to lack of motivation because of how poor we've been since his arrival, the Mourinho fights, or what - but he hasn't lived up to his price tag, and anyone who thinks he has is probably in denial.

If he has a good season and goes into next summer window with one year left on his contract, he's certain to force himself out I think. He was never loyal to Manchester United in the first place and won't have a reason to stay next year, unless we pay him silly, silly money.

Let's not forget who his agent is, either.
Pretty much this.

However imo it's kinda normal that a player is not loyal to a club. Basically all they care about is money and silverware. Very few is loyal to a club to a point that they would refuse better money, fame, silverware.

Well we can't give him the silverwares he wants anytime soon. So if we want to keep him it's the money I think.

Imo we should keep him. But if he doesn't sign a new deal in max two weeks we should think about selling him. Asap.

Denis' cuff

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that if Madrid offered 120+m for him when Pogba stated he wanted a new challenge (again) then he'd now be dressed in white. What's the point of keeping a player who didn't want to be here?
if United offered me 300 grand per week I’d probably be playing in red.

They didnt.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
if United offered me 300 grand per week I’d probably be playing in red.

They didnt.
Don't give up on your dream. You just know if we reach the last week of the transfer window without any other signings Ed might be forced to look outside the box. There's still hope for you yet. Maybe a good idea is to speak with Guardiola and get him to say City are interested in signing you. It worked for Fred and Sanchez.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A WC winner and multiple-time league champion in Italy. He has his languid and relaxed style which is easy on the eye and seems to make playing football easy. Yes, it sometimes loses the ball due to this style but more of than not he is great. However, strangely only his mistakes are focused in particular by a couple of Sky pundits and some in the media and this narrative has stuck with some of our own fans.

He's had to play almost all of his United years with sub-par players who posters have berated have been calling dross. Yet he alone has to be the magician and turn United's fortunes. It takes a team to win. Even Messi, Ronaldo and De Bruyne would struggle with the players assembled at the club over the last 7 years. Credit to Ole for turning this around adding a number of class players is now seeing the best of a number of our players.

The injuries have been unfortunate and hardly his fault. The club paying a record fee for Pogba is not his fault. That was between Juventus and United.

Sir Alex

"The fans love a trier," "That's the great thing about football. A lad who tries a lot can be forgiven for a lot of things."

DannyDee

I mean, we should consider selling anyone if we can use the cash to upgrade the team. But, selling Pogba right now is pointless. No one will bid enough to make it worthwhile. He's unsellable at this point in time at our current valuation with Barca and Real not in the bidding.

snowkarl

I wonder why? There was no debate about Zlatan even when he was obviously flagging. Some people have a problem with someone being rich and talented looking like Paul or Sterling. No other player is debated in such grotesque manner like those two.

What a weird comment when they specifically tried to get him on at least two occasions with Madrid even making an enquiry. Perez even said they tried to get him to spanish media.

We did not need a world beater we needed an entire team when he arrived and there is no world beater you can name that would have made us win games on his own like you ask of Paul.

How on earth anyone with eyes who knows anything about football can conclude that Paul does not contribute enough when playing behind the striker when he only played six games in that position and to this day still has the most open play goals of any player who was deployed in that role, utter tripe. Once again though certain posters bring Fernandes's name to Paul's thread as a means to compare a lesser player to the Frenchman, it is laughable.

If I was him I would not be loyal either especially with such comments from 'fans' and you should brace yourself because if he does renew he will become our highest paid player once again.
Here comes the Paul defence squad....

Pogba's been a disappointment for Manchester United. I know it hurts, but it's how it is. That doesn't mean he is a bad player or not good enough for our midfield, but he is not the great leader who will bag consistently great performances, score long range goals and bring us back to the top. If we'd bought someone like Eriksen or Rakitic instead, the difference in our overall performance would have been negligible. And those two were about 60m cheaper and Eriksen on 1/5 of the wages.

Not to mention the guy had his agent offer him to Manchester City the day before the Manchester derby... after leaving the club on a free - yet people pretend as if the fans are the ones who are disloyal.

I think Pogba is a great athlete with incredible technique and flair, but he can't handle the pressure of being the main leader and captain of the team. I don't really like his personality because he seems disconnected from reality with his "pogboom" and "pigpillow" "poghouse" comments (huge ego probably) but he's never gotten into trouble off the pitch like Rooney or more recently, AWB/Mason/Maguire so I haven't really had complaints about it, but his on field performance has often left much to be desired. What makes this such a struggle for our fanbase is that some people refuse to accept this reality and pretend as if all those who critique him negatively do so because of his "fancy blue hair" or skin colour. To the contrary, people are just disappointed in his lacklustre performances compared to what was expected.

He'sRaldo

Going back and reading the performance threads of Pogba's first few games, it's my opinion that he's underappreciated a bit simply because he's not new and shiny, and we haven't won the big titles with him. Back then we realized he was bringing the things we lacked, but right now it's taken for granted.

If we don't win anything significant with Bruno, the same may happen to him as well; especially once the new shine wears off and his contributions become 'normal'.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game

He loves his black and white stripes, doesn't he.

Rotating 60 degrees every five years.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The club never has but that won't stop his obsessed detractors from coming up with scenarios in their heads all day long to have him feck him off as we keep seeing here :lol:

They can sell him to their hearts content in FM/Fifa since that's the closest they'll get to seeing him sold in real life anytime soon.
Its so difficult to get good players in and people want to get rid of one of the good signings.

Clermontois

Supports
France
1) That is fake news. Ole got the job based on a string of good results capped off by the win at PSG. The most influential player in that run was Marcus Rashford.

2) It shows we missed a creative player not just Pogba because when Bruno came in the team looked better than when Pogba was in the team.

3) Last season, even with the lack of quality we had 54.6% possession (5th in the league)
Those are absolute fake news.

GlasgowCeltic

I'm not having a go at Pogba and I want him to stay.

However the problem we find ourselves in is what Guardiola dealt with when he had joint City.
He wanted to implement possession technical and/or high pressure tactical football and whilst Yaya toure was a great valuable footballer who most people valued back then - Guardiola knew he was going to struggle to play such a style of football.

Pogba to me is a much better version of Yaya toure - yet still a player who couldn't play possession or top quality tactical football under high pressure.

Do I want him gone. No - because as a club I dont think we are playing that football yet either; maybe at max only our front attacking line. When that day comes then his time might be as well.
Pogba or Yaya is a fair debate but the idea of Pog being significantly better is nonsense. For me Yaya was the better player

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
A WC winner and multiple-time league champion in Italy. He has his languid and relaxed style which is easy on the eye and seems to make playing football easy. Yes, it sometimes loses the ball due to this style but more of than not he is great. However, strangely only his mistakes are focused in particular by a couple of Sky pundits and some in the media and this narrative has stuck with some of our own fans.
He's had to play almost all of his United years with sub-par players who posters have berated have been calling dross. Yet he alone has to be the magician and turn United's fortunes. It takes a team to win. Even Messi, Ronaldo and De Bruyne would struggle with the players assembled at the club over the last 7 years. Credit to Ole for turning this around adding a number of class players is now seeing the best of a number of our players.
The injuries have been unfortunate and hardly his fault. The club paying a record fee for Pogba is not his fault. That was between Juventus and United.
Sir Alex "The fans love a trier," "That's the great thing about football. A lad who tries a lot can be forgiven for a lot of things."
Thats abit patronising bro! Plenty on here were concerned about Pogba within 15 games of his arrival; I even made a thread on it! And that was quite some time before sky pundits also spotted the same trend. And none of us have been incorrect in our initial observations: they have borne out exactly like we had written about.

I was very very excited when he signed, so there was no pre existing 'agenda' as some fanboys like to make out. Just disillusionment at what he contributes and for his lack of commitment to the club.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

He loves his black and white stripes, doesn't he.

Rotating 60 degrees every five years.
He didn't get his move but at the least he finally gets to wear the white and black shirt with stripes again. What a confusing and genuinely ugly shirt.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Thats abit patronising bro! Plenty on here were concerned about Pogba within 15 games of his arrival; I even made a thread on it! And that was quite some time before sky pundits also spotted the same trend. And none of us have been incorrect in our initial observations: they have borne out exactly like we had written about.

I was very very excited when he signed, so there was no pre existing 'agenda' as some fanboys like to make out. Just disillusionment at what he contributes and for his lack of commitment to the club.
Pogba was superb initially until Ibra got injured. Mourinho then messed him up big time due to Mourinho being Mourinho. He was superb once Ole took over the management. Unfortunately, an injury messed up most of his last season. The agenda was so bad a number of posters on here were even claiming he was feigning his injury. Obviously, his agent has not helped with his comments. Basically, Raiola is playing a game for his client to get the best deal from the club.

He clicked well after the lockdown with Bruno and now our strikers look like scoring freely and was instrumental in the team finishing well. I make no apologies for saying some sections of our fans have an agenda and parrot what pundits say during the match. Matchday thread and after threads after games provides evidence. Every mistake Pogba makes is magnified for clicks. Neville and Souness are the biggest culprits.

Pogba and his like makes headlines and sell the game.

Hammondo

Because the poster is incredibly biased towards Pogba/any French player & as a result hates Bruno & refuses to acknowledge the clear improvements we made since his arrival.
I didn't see that in the message I replied to.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I make no apologies for saying some sections of our fans have an agenda and parrot what pundits say during the match.
This is obviously true.

But then it's equally true that individual players do have a fan club with their own agenda.

Pogba and his like makes headlines and sell the game.
Yes. And many people/posters don't seem to realize that the pundit business is very much about selling a story. Pundits take up stances to generate reactions and clicks. Or, alternatively, networks/media outlets hire a certain brand of pundit in order to do the same. It's not 100% objective, no matter how you look at it.

ETA Take Souness: The question isn't as much what he offers in terms of actual insight (which can vary greatly from time to time - sometimes he makes perfectly relevant observations, sometimes he spouts sheer bollocks - and sometimes he's clearly terribly biased) - but what he offers in terms of being a) attractive to a certain demographic and b) the very opposite to a certain other demographic.

Both people who find him sound (a no-nonsense old school type) and people who detest him and consider him an old fool (for pretty much the same reasons) will be valuable from a reaction/clicks perspective.

ETA II In extreme (but probably quite realistic) terms: if I wanted to hire a pundit (supposedly an "expert" on football) who made sense most of the time, and offered balanced insight on various aspects of the game, I would NOT hire a biased cnut who frequently spouts unfounded crap that is likely to generate a lot of heated reactions (from all sorts of people - many of whom are bound to be idiots, to be brutally frank). But if I wanted to make money (that is, generate traffic, clicks) - then yes, that sort of "expert" would be attractive to me. And whether he actually was biased, a cnut or a bloody dimwit - or was just posing as such for the purpose - wouldn't matter to me.

And...to conclude the rant: you could perhaps say that the problem is that there actually is a demographic that would appreciate - precisely - a pundit who makes sense most of the time and offers balanced insight without being controversial for the sake of it...and so forth. But that this demographic is not deemed important (enough) for those who hire pundits these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Clermontois

Supports
France
Because the poster is incredibly biased towards Pogba/any French player & as a result hates Bruno & refuses to acknowledge the clear improvements we made since his arrival.
:lol::lol:

I don't hate anyone far less any one in this side. Fernandes is another one of the group, happy to see he improved on Lingard but anything more than that is nonsense and media narrative regurgitation, simple.

Now do stop following me around poster.

Eli Zee

Yes. If his sale leads to the overall team improving, yes.

if he wants to stay, and the club values him as a player more than they would his replacement(s), then no.

if he wants to stay, and the club thinks his departure will make the overall team better with any additions/replacements from his fee - this is when the club has to either be strong and move him on or show compassion and hold on as we usually do.

If he doesn't want to stay, yes only IF proper players can be brought in the same window we sell him.

YAMS49

:lol::lol:

I don't hate anyone far less any one in this side. Fernandes is another one of the group, happy to see he improved on Lingard but anything more than that is nonsense and media narrative regurgitation, simple.

Now do stop following me around poster.
I'll do what I like thanks.... Question for you, who would you have taking penalties this season?

Darlington Padgett

He'll only have one year on his contract next summer, can't see him staying if we don't win something and top 4 next year.

Shark

@NotShark
He'll only have one year on his contract next summer, can't see him staying if we don't win something and top 4 next year.
Isn't he supposed to be helping us win something though? That's my issue with players like Pogba, the hype that surrounds him exceeds what he actually does on the pitch. I'm fully aware he's one of our most talented players but I'd have a player like Fernandes over him any day of the week.

Darlington Padgett

Isn't he supposed to be helping us win something though? That's my issue with players like Pogba, the hype that surrounds him exceeds what he actually does on the pitch. I'm fully aware he's one of our most talented players but I'd have a player like Fernandes over him any day of the week.
We had a decent chance of winning things this year but our squad fell short. Next year might be harder given how much the rest of the league is strengthening. I think Pogba's and Fernandes' contribution is fairly similar but one is more noticeable, we're lucky to have both and if we want them to stay here we should be looking at bringing in players to help them win.

croadyman

Would not blame him one bit for holding off on signing this contract because he deserves better than this shitshow

starman

Would not blame him one bit for holding off on signing this contract because he deserves better than this shitshow
Amazed how people defend a player so much, don't think I have ever seen this kind of talk about anyone else before, who has gave so little.

No, United deserve a lot better from the 90m and 300k p/w they spend on him. Pogba has not been value for money.

dev1l

He s holding off signing his contract because it s suits him and his agent. The longer it takes for him to sign the new contract, the lower will be the transfer fee should a team come for him.

croadyman

Amazed how people defend a player so much, don't think I have ever seen this kind of talk about anyone else before.

No, United deserve a lot better than the 90m and 300k p/w they spend on him. Pogba has not been value for money.
I am not denying that he needs to be more consistent but feeling so fed up with the whole place right now. We needed so much more in this window but yet again we are being left to make do

The Original

It's really strange how some fans have created this Pogba vs Bruno animosity thing. Why?? We have two very good players and its impossible to discuss one without talking him down with reference to the other. I hate to be drawn into it but find your claims worthy of scrutiny.

If Bruno is that much better than Pogba, it surely will reflect in the figures, you agree? If we analyze the best half season (since Bruno has only had one half) of either player are you confident Bruno will show better numbers once penalties are removed from the equation?

Eli Zee

I
It's really strange how some fans have created this Pogba vs Bruno animosity thing. Why?? We have two very good players and its impossible to discuss one without talking him down with reference to the other. I hate to be drawn into it but find your claims worthy of scrutiny.

If Bruno is that much better than Pogba, it surely will reflect in the figures, you agree? If we analyze the best half season (since Bruno has only had one half) of either player are you confident Bruno will show better numbers once penalties are removed from the equation?
i love them both. If they are both healthy next season, I would see Bruno getting far more G+A then Pogba. Pogba is still a very good player though.

The Original

Amazed how people defend a player so much, don't think I have ever seen this kind of talk about anyone else before, who has gave so little.

No, United deserve a lot better from the 90m and 300k p/w they spend on him. Pogba has not been value for money.

How do you justify such claims? Prior to this season, he was the leading contributor in terms of goals and assists, and you say that is so little?

starman

I am not denying that he needs to be more consistent but feeling so fed up with the whole place right now
He is more than welcome to find another club willing to pay his valuation and wages as far as I am concerned. If we are talking about what "he deserves", he most definitely does not deserve a pay rise if he signs a new contract.

croadyman

He is more than welcome to find another club willing to pay his valuation and wages as far as I am concerned. If we are talking about what "he deserves", he most definitely does not deserve a pay rise if he signs a new contract.
Lets face it no one is going to do that in the current financial situation

crossy1686

career ending
I think us not signing Sancho will cost us Pogba next summer. Players like him have already said they want to win and play with the best, if the board want to keep our best players they need to show as much ambition as the players do.