Should we consider selling Pogba?

hungrywing

1 good finish doesn’t change my opinion that he’s not suited to this league. He plays at too slow a tempo. We can’t rely on other players constantly bailing him out. The game yesterday changed when Bruno came on, he created so many chances I think we would have won anyway. Pogba wasn’t the game changer
Absolute rubbish.

Bruno was able to change the game because Pogba was there. That's the Pogba Effect and if a club like Real or PSG wants him, they need to pay around 40m-50m because he's totally worth around that in pure footballing ability, before one takes into account his millions and millions of social media followers.

We'll be lucky if those clubs don't tempt us with a bid next month.

sidsutton

Fcuk me, what a deluded post. You’re having a laugh
check his posting history for some more belters. He does love Pogba. "generational quality", "we've sabotaged his career". Even said he'd make a good manager. Why? He's a leader apparently.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Absolute rubbish.

Bruno was able to change the game because Pogba was there. That's the Pogba Effect and if a club like Real or PSG wants him, they need to pay around 40m-50m because he's totally worth around that in pure footballing ability, before one takes into account his millions and millions of social media followers.

Completely disagree.

I think ole will sell if a significant bid comes in.
Pogba isn’t first choice pick anymore. Rightly so

hungrywing

Completely disagree.

I think ole will sell if a significant bid comes in.
Pogba isn’t first choice pick anymore. Rightly so
Well I guess it's good for us that you're not in charge, eh. Let's hope Woodward holds firm and only sells for 40-50m. Maybe even more.

His transfer value is as high as ever, IMO. He's just way too good for our team and we don't have the right players to help him shine. He'd set the world on fire at Real or PSG.

I've been preaching since literally day one that the Pogba purchase (and contract) was one of the worst things for the club in the post-SAF years. I think we should at least try and pretend we wouldn't be quite happy to sell him for next to nothing.

clarkydaz

Absolute rubbish.

He's been changing plenty of games when Pogba wasnt there

Gabagoo

Said it many times: he's our best player, when playing well.

We either sell him and invest it in like three talented attackers, or just buy Haaland... OR keep him and rotate with Fernandes.

United should have enough games in the league, two domestic cups and a European competition to keep him happy. The question is whether we are at his level when he's in form, which is something only he can answer.

golden_blunder

Staff
Well I guess it's good for us that you're not in charge, eh. Let's hope Woodward holds firm and only sells for 40-50m. Maybe even more.

His transfer value is as high as ever, IMO. He's just way too good for our team and we don't have the right players to help him shine. He'd set the world on fire at Real or PSG.

I've been preaching since literally day one that the Pogba purchase (and contract) was one of the worst things for the club in the post-SAF years. I think we should at least try and pretend we wouldn't be quite happy to sell him for next to nothing.
:lol: Ok I get it now

golden_blunder

Staff
Said it many times: he's our best player, when playing well.

We either sell him and invest it in like three talented attackers, or just buy Haaland... OR keep him and rotate with Fernandes.

United should have enough games in the league, two domestic cups and a European competition to keep him happy. The question is whether we are at his level when he's in form, which is something only he can answer.
I’m calling wum

kettledrumhamster

God he was absolutely dreadful until the goal. doesn't do enough of anything and just endlessly gives the ball away. He makes everyone around him worse because he can't execute the basics. Please get rid.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
If we sold him and bought one of Haaland or Sancho, I'd be happy.

He's obviously very talented but our team is pretty well stocked in CM with or without him and his sale could massively improve another area of the pitch.

Rashford - Haaland - Greenwood
Rashford - Greenwood - Sancho

Martial, Cavani, James as backups

Strelok

I'm often one of his biggest critic but truth is he had a pretty good match yesterday. What a cracking goal as well.

However it's just one match and it's not like we haven't been watching him the last 4 years. So I'd stay skeptical.

For the question of this thread. Imo we still should sell him, especially if his stock is high. I mean if he continues his form. We clearly doesn't need a player who is not a DM, a CM but an attacker playing in the midfield. We already have Bruno for that role. Especially when we need to pay that player north 300k a week. Plus his contract situation. We could use the money and salary freed up from his sale to invest in many other positions where we desperately need now.

I'm guessing the Millwall/West ham thing as in an excuse to boo a black player, but imo it was most probably to intimate a 'marquee' player. Put him off doing what he did to them in the 2nd half.

They are bunch of rascist c.. so can't blame him for not giving benefit of doubt.
Pogba is a player that will always attract attention. Black players can be booed, and it doesn’t have to be racist. For example, I would boo Lukaku all day long if I could, and that’s because of his shocking attitude whilst at the club, his appalling fitness and that fact he can’t shut up about us. Nothing to do with colour.

the Millwall incident is completely different as the booing was as a direct result of an anti-racist action, I.e taking the knee, and is clearly racist.

dirkey

Decent goal yesterday. Rubbish overall performance, particularly first half. Not that anyone else was good in first half.

A classic pogba moment for me, give ball away easily in midfield, jog casually back while they attack and ultimately hit the post. With him stood on edge of box behind play, making noone.

Has moments of brilliance. But not enough. Not suited to fast paced league.

40 mill if we're lucky, snap accept.

MattofManchester

good goal but holding your hands to your ear? It’s little things like this that make me despise him. Happy to sell him off. One goal doesn’t make up for the several terrible games he’s had.
Yes, because holding your hand to your ear is so offensive that you can't bear to watch it and he should face a fine and a suspension for such a deplorable act. Not the West Ham fans who despicably booed during the Black Lives Matter support, nor the fact that West Ham supporters were booing him constantly but shut up once he scored.

If Bruno Fernandes held his hand to his ear, I imagine you'd be marveling how expressive he is as you play with yourself.

Getting well and truly sick of supporters like this.

If he's had a poor performance, he gets absolutely bashed here. For the rest of the squad's poor performances, oh they've had no pre-season, oh this, oh that. For Pogba, who had Covid on top of no pre-season, followed by an injury having just returned from a very long term injury and seemingly lacking in confidence, no he's shit, waste of space, I hate him blah blah. If he has a decent performance, well then, now it's time to criticise his hair, his dancing, his actions, attending his brother's wedding, faking injuries, playing basketball, being unprofessional, wearing shoes, being French, speaking and probably breathing air too. Dare I say, there's something else there that people lowkey have a problem with too.

This is why I pray he plays well and finds his form consistently. So he can show how ridiculous and moronic much of this fanbase has become.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yes, because holding your hand to your ear is so offensive that you can't bear to watch it and he should face a fine and a suspension for such a deplorable act. Not the West Ham fans who despicably booed during the Black Lives Matter support, nor the fact that West Ham supporters were booing him constantly but shut up once he scored.

If Bruno Fernandes held his hand to his ear, I imagine you'd be marveling how expressive he is as you play with yourself.

Getting well and truly sick of supporters like this.

If he's had a poor performance, he gets absolutely bashed here. For the rest of the squad's poor performances, oh they've had no pre-season, oh this, oh that. For Pogba, who had Covid on top of no pre-season, followed by an injury having just returned from a very long term injury and seemingly lacking in confidence, no he's shit, waste of space, I hate him blah blah. If he has a decent performance, well then, now it's time to criticise his hair, his dancing, his actions, attending his brother's wedding, faking injuries, playing basketball, being unprofessional, wearing shoes, being French, speaking and probably breathing air too. Dare I say, there's something else there that people lowkey have a problem with too.

This is why I pray he plays well and finds his form consistently. So he can show how ridiculous and moronic much of this fanbase has become.
Pretty much this.

It says a lot about the cafe that a player scores a 30 yard screamer & his own fans ‘despise’ his celebration.

It’s a case of people perceive him not wanting to be at the club so instead of being stood up pile on him at every point; there’s a thread about supporting the manager & club where posters fell over themselves to show how much of a Top Red they are but ask them why certain players [generally ones of the low-key variety you speak of] get dogs abuse & it’s crickets.

Has done more for the club than the whole lot of us keyboard warriors combined; who was player of the tournament when we won the UEL again yet people on here want to tell me McAverage & Fred are better players :lol:

lex talionis

Much, much better yesterday. Consistency is still a challenge for Pogba, but if can regain consistency previous words written here will need to eaten.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Quite a few posters owe Paul an apology, I believe...

What a spectacular strike to turn the match in our favor. Paul gave Ole the job, and now he's bailing out Ole's ass again.
If he scores another 15 goals like that this season, then I'll certainly retract my comments about him.
1 goal makes no difference.
Should we sell Pogba - absolutely. MUFC is not the team for him. Such a shame because in the right team, he is a force to be reckoned with.
Bruno, on the other hand, is fantastic and would fit in perfectly with the trophy winning teams which Fergie used to manage.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Much, much better yesterday. Consistency is still a challenge for Pogba, but if can regain consistency previous words written here will need to eaten.
In the first half he was below average. Bruno is what gave him a lift - the confidence to come out of his shell.
This lends credibility to the argument that Pogba needs to be surrounded by top class players, to get the best out of him.
He isn't a grafter....he is a luxury player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Pogba is similar to Coutinho in that despite his class he has no position he can find consistency in. Both cost world record type of money and both struggle to put up the same number of good performances as their peers. I'd be looking for a trade potentially maybe we could push him to Bayern? I doubt they'd be interested but we could surely do with someone like Goretzka. Maybe Odegaard from Real Madrid, or Frenkie De Jong, Casemiro.. If we can't do that then with straight money up front we could put that towards Haaland, Sancho or similar.

lex talionis

In the first half he was below average. Bruno is what gave him a lift - the confidence to come out of his shell.
This lends credibility to the argument that Pogba needs to be surrounded by top class players, to get the best out of him.
Average by Pogba’s own standard — “average” in the sense we use the word here, not in its literal sense — I would agree. But Pogba was our best performing attacking player in the first half, without question.

However I completely agree with your conclusion that Pogba needs to be surrounded by top class players to get the best out of him, although I question whether the term “luxury player” has any useful meaning, and whatever it means, that Pogba is such a player. When in top form, Pogba plays at a level few footballers on the planet can match. But we haven’t seen that form from Pogba since he joined United for more than 1-2 matches at a time, separated by long stretches of average form and sometimes shocking form.

The question United management have to answer is whether to bring in such top class players to surround him now (let’s say going into next season) and go for CL and PL trophies or whether to sell him to such a club and build for the future 1-2 seasons. Tough call, that.

Foxbatt

Also, at Juve?
Certainly not at Juve. At United certainly before Bruno's arrival and after the departure of Zlatan he certainly was. When Pogba plays well United play well. But the problem is that he rarely plays well. Not even once in a blue moon. I also think he would play best in a 4 man midfield where he does not have to defend too much. He needs to be further up forward.
I would still sell him and get a player who fits the team.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Was utterly shocking yesterday apart from the goal.

You can't play that bad in center midfield and give the ball away that often without offering anything. Really poor performance. I know a lot of people will go yeah he scored, but god he was awful up to that point!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Danny Murphy gave him a lot of praise on MOTD last night, that's enough for me, a Liverpool lover who obviously wants Pogba to play every week, so let's sell!
Joking apart, I thought he played quite well, and needs to at least keep up that level of performance in every game he plays from now on. Took his goal well, but still not sure he can put a shift in like Fred can, less skilled, but more industrious. I think the team performs better as a team without Pogba, so I would sell him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Do people really believe Pogba second half performance was better than the first? One thing that Bruno and Rashford changed is West Ham finally had to be careful at the back, so they didn't attack us the way they did in the first half.
Less defensive job to do = Pogba looks better. He still slowed us down taking 5 seconds with each touch.
That was a typical Pogba performance plus the goal. If people belive that's good enough to keep him in the team and expect to score every week, they're just setting themselves up for a disappointment.

lex talionis

Certainly not at Juve. At United certainly before Bruno's arrival and after the departure of Zlatan he certainly was. When Pogba plays well United play well. But the problem is that he rarely plays well. Not even once in a blue moon. I also think he would play best in a 4 man midfield where he does not have to defend too much. He needs to be further up forward.
I would still sell him and get a player who fits the team.
Juve had a lot of great players, but exactly who was head and shoulders superior to Pogba?

I do agree that Pogba has, overall, been disappointing at Old Trafford, and that a sell order should be seriously be considered. Juve apparently want him back. If they’re willing to cough up 80m for him I’d take that deal. Despite the abuse Donny took yesterday here he’s a perfect replacement for Pogba (probably no coincidence that we bought him) and with one or two new pieces we’re ready to ask questions of Liverpool and City.

clarkydaz

Juve had a lot of great players, but exactly who was head and shoulders superior to Pogba?

I do agree that Pogba has, overall, been disappointing at Old Trafford, and that a sell order should be seriously be considered. Juve apparently want him back. If they’re willing to cough up 80m for him I’d take that deal. Despite the abuse Donny took yesterday here he’s a perfect replacement for Pogba (probably no coincidence that we bought him) and with one or two new pieces we’re ready to ask questions of Liverpool and City.
Bloody hell, how many people you think would choose Pogba over Pirlo? Mental

Dante

Average bang
Pogba's an old-fashioned luxury player in an era of high-pressing super athletes. It's a trend that's strongest in the PL where even relegation clubs have enough money to buy top players from around the world.

He'd have a slightly easier time playing week-on-week in La Liga. And a significantly easier time in Italy. For his sake, that's where he needs to go to get the most out of himself.

Which isn't to say that Pogba's not capable of some fantastic moments. I've no doubt he'll produce a few between now and the end of the season. But If we can get anything close to a reasonable fee in the summer, we have to go for it. I think his negatives outweigh his positives for a club like United in the long run.

lex talionis

Bloody hell, how many people you think would choose Pogba over Pirlo? Mental
You mean the 37 year old Pirlo over the 23 year old Pogba? Quite a few.

Peak Pirlo is a different matter. I’m not sure which deep lying midfielder in the history of the game I’d take over peak Andrea Pirlo.

Juve supporters revered Pogba and his contribution to the club and want him back now. That Pogba has been disappointing for United is beyond any dispute, but the suggestion that he was just another role player for Juve is beyond insanity.

Nori-

I think we should have sold him last summer, but with the covid crisis its unlikely we would have found a buyer.

If we do sell him this coming summer, with 1 year left on his contract what could we realistically get? id say considering his marketing potential and age, close to £50m?

Personally, I'd tie him down to a new contract (will mean playing him a lot more) and look at the situation in the summer, hopefully getting more money if we sell.