Should we consider selling Pogba?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I haven't read much of the above, just entering the convo...

Man City played Silva, de Bruyne etc.

We need to play someone like Mc T to just sit and sweep... then give Pogba and Bruno licence to make teams worry about us attacking them. But tbh our defence isn't pacey or good enough to stop counter attacks.
Have you seen the work rate of Silva and De Bruyne? It’s why city can play that way - those 2 work their socks off defensively.

Pogba is so far off from that level of work rate. Bruno has it but not Pogba.

romufc

Have you seen the work rate of Silva and De Bruyne? It’s why city can play that way - those 2 work their socks off defensively.

People tend to mistake workrate with defensive ability.

No one is asking Pogba to be a defensive midfielder, great at tackling or interceptions but workrate should be a given.

Silva and KDB are not the best defensively but they work for the team, get back and at least make it hard for the opponents.

With Pogba, you can run off him and you know if you are wrong side of him, he will foul you.

Then it comes to possession, Pogba always gets robbed instead of playing it simple.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Pogba's lack of work rate will never change, hes never had it since watching him for the u18s.

Pep, Klopp, Poch, whoever are never going to turn him into a pressing machine they require in their systems. He's a luxury player we can't afford.

Strelok

Pogba's lack of work rate will never change, hes never had it since watching him for the u18s.

Pep, Klopp, Poch, whoever are never going to turn him into a pressing machine they require in their systems. He's a luxury player we can't afford.
A poster said he's very Veron alike which I'd agree. He should go back to Serie A or L1. He should be fine there. The PL is not for him, unfortunately.

Jonno

I personally think we're accommodating him. I think we don't particularly need him and haven't done since Bruno arrived. I feel like the tables have turned now, and it would be beneficial for all concerned if he found a big money move.

We triggered a 1 year extension instead of negotiating large contract, which tells me we want to sell.

He's a top class player on the ball, but off the ball, he looks like he doesn't want to be a pressing, defensive minded, disciplined player. The penalty was the latest example. He knew he HAD to chase him back, so he did. It doesn't come naturally, which is why he ended up the wrong side, and stumbled into a rubbish tackle. A naturally disciplined PL midfielder (someone like a Jordan Henderson) wouldn't dream of tackling in the box on the wrong side.

I just think he's not cut out to be a PL style midfielder. He needs to play in a different league, where the pressing game isn't as intense.

Shame really, because I was excited when we signed him. If we had a complete team, like Liverpool do, Pogba could play with more freedom, and probably be as influential as KDB. But that will never happen in this current squad.

passing-wind

It's much to do with the coaching implementation. Defensive workrate has nothing to do with it because those players were never considered astute defensively it's the requirement that Pep clearly installed in them which is probably reminiscent to his time with Xavi / Iniesta players who again were not considered defensive maestros but had enough definitive instructions to not leave the defence exposed.

We do not have a lack of midfield balance generally, we have a unbalanced midfield under the management of Solskjaer because he's unable to accommodate them tactically. Pogba has hardly draped himself in plaudits but do notice he was our best player when Ole received the job because he was played in a position where he was well suited via Ole. Solskjaer has now completely derailed Pogbas deployment by putting him in a typical double pivot midfield role.

Strelok

It's much to do with the coaching implementation. Defensive workrate has nothing to do with it because those players were never considered astute defensively it's the requirement that Pep clearly installed in them which is probably reminiscent to his time with Xavi / Iniesta players who again were not considered defensive maestros but had enough definitive instructions to not leave the defence exposed.

We do not have a lack of midfield balance generally, we have a unbalanced midfield under the management of Solskjaer because he's unable to accommodate them tactically. Pogba has hardly draped himself in plaudits but do notice he was our best player when Ole received the job because he was played in a position where he was well suited via Ole. Solskjaer has now completely derailed Pogbas deployment by putting him in a typical double pivot midfield role.
Bold part: yes until other teams found a way to nullify him. They put 2 guys on him whenever he had the ball and he lost it. Because he needed to dwell on the ball too much. That's why after a few match Ole had to try him in the double pivot. Last match he was played again in his 'favorite position' and we all saw how it was.

Imo his brain is a bit slow. He always need some extra touches, only then he starts to think about what next. Of course that won't work in the PL. Either the defenders would have enough time to fall back to their positions. Or someone would rob the ball off him. It's just too fast paced, too physical for him.

His lack of work rate becomes a serious issue for the balance of the midfield as well. His likelyhood of showboating when he shouldn't doesn't help either.

It's not Ole's fault for him being such of a liability. It's Ole fault for playing him in the PL though. The sooner he'd realise that the better for the club and his own career.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Pogba would never work out playing in KDB & Silva role under Pep anyway. Bruno can still play in KDB & Silva role because he has the same disciplinary as those two to play in the role not just the playmaking ability. KDB can play in the role where Ole put Bruno at.

Nothing will work with Pogba. His issue is his inconsistency and it’s down to the Pogba himself not the manager. I don’t believe any manager will be able to make Pogba to perform top class in consistent basis full season now.

When he was in the World Cup, he wasn’t anywhere to be called great. 1 goal and 0 assist is shit end product. He wasn’t the dictator in midfield like Xavi 2010 and defensively suspect.

His only great form was coming from Juventus but at that time he was just a young midfielder with less responsibility, when he played inconsistent, it was fine and easily ignored because there are 3 experienced centre back, Pirlo & Vidal. He never step up to be a leader as he’s grown up as a senior footballer.

Zlatattack

I personally think we're accommodating him. I think we don't particularly need him and haven't done since Bruno arrived. I feel like the tables have turned now, and it would be beneficial for all concerned if he found a big money move.

We triggered a 1 year extension instead of negotiating large contract, which tells me we want to sell.

He's a top class player on the ball, but off the ball, he looks like he doesn't want to be a pressing, defensive minded, disciplined player. The penalty was the latest example. He knew he HAD to chase him back, so he did. It doesn't come naturally, which is why he ended up the wrong side, and stumbled into a rubbish tackle. A naturally disciplined PL midfielder (someone like a Jordan Henderson) wouldn't dream of tackling in the box on the wrong side.

I just think he's not cut out to be a PL style midfielder. He needs to play in a different league, where the pressing game isn't as intense.

Shame really, because I was excited when we signed him. If we had a complete team, like Liverpool do, Pogba could play with more freedom, and probably be as influential as KDB. But that will never happen in this current squad.
I agree. He could have been so much more for us, but he hasn't been. Time to make some money. We've a midfield 3 of Matic, VdB and Bruno. We would have Fred and McT as backups. To me that first choice midfield lacks a little. Matic isn't that mobile and our subs are useful water carriers but not with any real attacking guile. On paper Pogba provides us a creative 8/10, and when he feels like it he is. If we sell him we need to replace him outright AND get a Matic replacement - a proper one, not Scott or Fred. Ultimately we need to continue this upgrade process. We can't have limited players in our squad if we want to compete with the best.

Pennywise

I would punt him today if we could. Will have to wait until January unfortunately. He is a complete waste of a Jersey

Mufc7777

I'm completely done with Pogba starting another game with us and have been saying it for nearly 2 years, when he plays its like we are playing with 10 players as he is useless in DM, however I would like to point out that all the managers we have should of identified this and not tried to accommodate for the sake of his price tag putting him in the wrong position. he is an attacking midfielder and playing from the left he can influence the game a lot more, but again this depends on the formation with deploy, Mourinho gave up and benched him (he knew). I think the board must be driving Ole to play him so they can recoup there money when they sell and not look like idiots for spending so much in first place.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
When Pogba starts we are at a disadvantage. Play him against the poor teams alright, but not the big ones.

Hackman2210

If he starts tonight - I have my serious doubts about Ole as our manager. Pogba has been a disaster this season, covid, piss poor performances, last year injured, real madrid talk. I think get him out in Jan - loan deal with option to buy, set a price before he goes. If he goes to Real Madrid you just know he'll be great for them but theres feck all we can do about that other than get some money for him. Loan with option to buy £75mil??
We have to stop making excuses for this guy - hes been here for nearly 4 years how many MOTMs from him? Waste of talent, should never have brought him back. Utd are in a total freefall - not sure Ole has it strategically to stop the rot.

Reducation

OGS could have sold Pogba for a good price in summer 2019. It could have had quite an impact, like Fergie selling Paul Ince. It could have been good for Ole's stature as a leader; drawing a line in the sand regarding attitude and work rate.

sugar_kane

OGS could have sold Pogba for a good price in summer 2019. It could have had quite an impact, like Fergie selling Paul Ince. It could have been good for Ole's stature as a leader; drawing a line in the sand regarding attitude and work rate.
Agree and I think his backing of Pogba might hasten his own exit to be honest.

I thought he had wised up when he dropped him to the bench but starting him against Arsenal was a big, big error.

Reducation

I thought he had wised up when he dropped him to the bench but starting him against Arsenal was a big, big error.
Quite so. For United, replacing Bryan Robson and later Roy Keane were notable challenges. Pogba simply isn't in that category.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yes.
I worry that Ole is desperately trying to fit Pogba into his team, which he struggling to do, and that ultimately could be his downfall.
Still waiting to see this 'world class' player perform, too many poor performances.
I think letting Pogba go will clear the way for much better cohesion within midfield.

romufc

He should not start as first choice for us.

He can wait till January or end of the season and go find his new challenge. We need a midfielder who will fight for the team.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

100% agree. I said months ago that unless Pogba goes it will probably be Ole going.

At the bare minimum he should drop him.

Hackman2210

Is Ole playing Pogba for a reason other than his footballing ability? Is Raiola behind the scenes telling Pogba to have stinkers to lower his price and speed up his exit?? Is Pogba himself just completly finished with Man Utd the owners, the ever changing management/direction. Whichever it is - it just points to Pogba going. Is that why VDB came in the summer - we dont need him now but when pog fecks off in january, he can start every game for us.

reddevilz007

I haven't read much of the above, just entering the convo...

Man City played Silva, de Bruyne etc.

We need to play someone like Mc T to just sit and sweep... then give Pogba and Bruno licence to make teams worry about us attacking them. But tbh our defence isn't pacey or good enough to stop counter attacks.
The reason why we play McTominay and Fred together is to patch up our frail CBs. Only one of them isnt enough to make up for that weakness. If you add Pogba’s inaptitude to defend, then you can expect losing on a regular basis.

romufc

The reason why we play McTominay and Fred together is to patch up our frail CBs. Only one of them isnt enough to make up for that weakness. If you add Pogba’s inaptitude to defend, then you can expect losing on a regular basis.
I do not think playing 2 DM's is to protect the CB tbh. Its more because we have 2/3 players who do not do enough without the ball.

Rashford, Pogba and Greenwood are all culprits at this. When Martial plays, we press the ball 10 times better. You cannot carry 3 players in defence.

Jaxa

Spot on,

Were a better team without him and it's a nice luxury to be able to bring him on in the 60th minute against tired legs but you can't have that type of player sitting on the bench all the time, his stock is still fairly high and we should be trying our best to cash in on him in the next window/summer.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Spot on,

Were a better team without him and it's a nice luxury to be able to bring him on in the 60th minute against tired legs but you can't have that type of player sitting on the bench all the time, his stock is still fairly high and we should be trying our best to cash in on him in the next window/summer.
I think he may have played his way out of a move at this point too. I mean, who would pay big money for him given that he was injured for almost the whole season last year and has been utter shite this year? Love Pogba as a player, but he's a shadow of what he could be if he applied himself. If we could find a buyer willing to pay 50-60m at the end of the season then he should go.

ghagua

Would PSG even buy him? They've been making some weird cheap signings as if they are no longer the money club we know them for
PSG are PSG, they will be mighty tempted to sign a French world cup winner. There's always hope.....or I hope there is...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
That tipped me over the edge from the beginning. No matter if you liked or disliked Jose, Pogba's involvement in the downfall and sly tweets should have seen him booted out too. Ole just wants to be everybody's friend and doesn't command any respect. I couldn't believe it when he came in and swept it all under the carpet.

I still maintain that there was a lot of truth in what Jose was saying at the time. The fans should have listened, even if Woodward didn't.

Foxbatt

Pogba is not a team player. He plays for himself. The sooner we get rid of him the better we would play as a team.

ghagua

Glad people are waking up and realizing how poor a player Pogba has been for United. Where the cnuts who were foaming at the mouth when I suggested Pogba must have realized he is not as good as he thinks he is.

Now watch Woody give him a nice fat contract.

TheNextNo7

Hes the icing on a cake like France. but we know the real character comes from the base of it. he has none, a pure clown on and off the pitch and id swap him for one decent full back.
hes a luxury signing when you have the right other 20 odd personal. sadly we dont even have 5

dinostar77

A luxury player, who needs a midfield built around him (players to cover his deficiencies). Sell him to Madrid and let them deal with his lack of effort, concentration and drive. We are better off without him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

PSG are PSG, they will be mighty tempted to sign a French world cup winner. There's always hope.....or I hope there is...
I hope too but it's been quite a while since their superstar signings. The signings they've made in recent windows makes it look like they are no longer the mega rich club we know them for

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
Selling him to who - who is stupid enough at this point to pay big money for him?

HowieC

Selling him to who - who is stupid enough at this point to pay big money for him?
Late 20s and still doesn’t move where he should, and play his role responsibly. Has all the physical and technical tools, but will never be a great.

Pablo18th

Muller is the Wayne Rooney of Bayern, he will never be displaced until he physically cannot move anymore.
Regardless Mueller starts on merit, he just broke the Bundesliga record for assists. Pogba is giving away a penalty for every assist he gives.

Pablo18th

If we had a complete team like Liverpool Pogba wouldn't be starting either. The basis of Klopp style is everyone works hard on and off the ball.