Should we play Martial in the Mkhitaryan role?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If Jose believes Martial, Rashford, Lukaku and a 10 is not balanced enough for his liking, we could always go 5-2-3. The issue with that though is that one of Martial or Rashford have to be on the right hand side, and in terms of build up play through central area's it isn't ideal as it would rely on someone like Pogba providing all the thrust centrally which is okay, but I thing Pogba as the sole creator in central area's isn't all that.. hence why when we had someone like Mata or Mkhi there, it frees Pogba up to be creative from deeper and unpredictable areas of the pitch.

Second issue I have spotted with Martial as well as Rashford is that on the wing, they're both pretty easy to snuff out when up against half decent defensive sides and both lack the natural wing wizardry to be a menace for a full back. They're both solid dribblers, but they're not an Ousmane Dembele who is so unpredictable with his skills, and has a variety of movements out wide.. they're both at their best when they can operate centrally as well as out wide, almost as a second strikers/wing forwards hybrid.

Martial wants the ball constantly to feet, but he's also a very decent passer of the ball and can link up play better than Rashford.. but he lacks the constant tireless style of Rashford, which makes him quite easy to pin down when he has to start games. So which position can he play where the competition isn't as strong, he can get on the ball regularly, he can have ample opportunities to run with the ball but he can also utilise his natural eye for a pass? why not play him in the free role/10 in a 3-5-2... but make it a free role where he can change positions with Rashford here and there, but basically just say to him, get on the ball anywhere on the pitch just in front of the midfield duo, and instantly turn defence into attack.

He's got a way better first touch than any of our attackers bar Mata, is a more intelligent user of the ball than Mkhi, has the athleticism and pace to turn even a defensive situation with little support into a counter attacking opportunity with a drop of the shoulder and he will cause chaos running through midfields and the heart of defences.

Thoughts?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I wouldn't be against it, in fact I'd like to see anyone there that isn't named Mkhi.

One downside might be Martial's defensive contribution though, but it isn't like Mkhi is busting a gut defensively either so it might be like for like.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think he’s best wide with opponents coming from one side and space to run into.

RAVred

If you wanted to play someone out of Lukaku, Rashford or Martial in that role, it would be Rashford.

Honestly, I just dont think Martial and Rashford jell well together right now, and both are most likely to be employed on the wing (where there best sides the same).

Mkhitaryan showed what he can offer a bit in the second half. He made good runs and played nice one twos as well as some decent service. He is just really inconsistent and off the pace at the moment, hopefully Pogba coming back into the squad improves him and the squad as a whole.

MadMike

Personally, i don't think Valencia offers enough attacking threat in 3-5-2. It's not a formation I'd like to see in many games. Thankfully, it's also rarely played and we play 4-2-3-1 more often.

In that formation I'd like to see Mata in the middle and for once, just once, maybe Martial and Rashfor both on the pitch at opposite ends.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Martial should be given free role, him and Rashford. We will be much better team.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It sounds a bit FIFA-like to put a winger/wide forward in a number 10 role, but Mkhitaryan has seriously been gash there recently.

It should really be given to Mata for a few games.

MadMike

If you wanted to play someone out of Lukaku, Rashford or Martial in that role, it would be Rashford.

Honestly, I just dont think Martial and Rashford jell well together right now, and both are most likely to be employed on the wing (where there best sides the same).
You reached that conclusion after watching play exactly 0 minutes together. You're an oracle

Kostur

海尔的老板
I wouldn't mind, thought of it as a natural sub today really but I think that either way Jose wants to have one of Rashford/Martial on the bench for the later stages of the game so yeah.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I wouldn't be against it, in fact I'd like to see anyone there that isn't named Mkhi.

One downside might be Martial's defensive contribution though, but it isn't like Mkhi is busting a gut defensively either so it might be like for like.
I think we need to ensure we have at least three committed attackers who can counter at will, that is for me when Jose football can also = great football.. think back to Chelsea (first version), Inter.. you had a trio of attackers you can rely on. Duff, Robben, Drogba.. Sneijder, Eto'o and Milito.. whilst the rest of the side stays compact.

Not saying this trio is in that calibre, but they're by far the three most dangerous players we have in the squad and we need to find a way to get them all on the pitch at the same time without losing balance as well as ensuring the build up play is enhanced.

Martial isn't no simple wing-merchant, he may come across quiet and dim, but his passing ability is very underrated and natural. He knows how to pass between the lines, and picks up pockets of spaces in central areas very naturally.. plus he seems to have a natural understanding with Lukaku as well as Rashford (both of whom don't seem to be on the same wavelength with each other).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Without a doubt. Front 3 should be Martial, rashford and Lukaku. Set it up how you want, but they are our best performing attackers, our most productive attackers, are our quickest attackers and the most unpredictable ones. The only argument for not doing it, is that then we don't have one of martial/rashford on the bench to be an impact sub. But why need an impact sub when you can just score earlier with those 3? Just fecking play them together.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I suggested this in the Liverpool game. Move him central when teams press us.

When he is out wide in tight games the other teams have time to get multiple players on him.

Silas

I've been saying this for a while. Can't say Mhiki's providing anything he wouldn't at the moment.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think he’s best wide with opponents coming from one side and space to run into.
So do I but his dribbling ability and shielding of the ball is on another level to Mkhi's and Mata's so that'd help us a lot in regards to having a 10 Matic and Herrera can pass to under pressure. I think the linkup play between Martial and Rashford is already very good, and with Lukaku it could go up a level. I also think Rashford and Martial could rotate said roles as I think he'd do alright there, too.

I don't see the harm in having Mkhi and Mata as our super subs for a couple or so games.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
No. I'd try out Rashford in that role, while playing Martial and Lukaku in a two striker formation.
I don't think Rashford has the silks for that 10 position, it can get very congested and you need a superb first touch, good decision making and Martial's passing is more consistent. You also need the ability to choose when to step up the tempo in that role and slow it down sometimes, whereas Rashford plays 100 miles per hour.

Rashford is the more direct forward and we should try and keep him as a menace close to goal, running defences ragged.

el3mel

Thought the same during the match itself. I'll play anyone ahead of Mikhi in this position at the moment, basically anyone.

AS18_

Midfield already exposed as it is playing a striker as a makeshift #10 will only expose it more. I'd like to see Mata there next game.

No. Martial seems to like playing with one plane of view. I don't think he would do well receiving the ball and having to be aware of all 360 degrees around him.

haram

I don't think he would really know how to play the position.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Current system of starting one and brining on the other to finish is working a treat. Don't see why we should change a brilliant tactic when it works so well.

sugar_kane

I've been saying this for a while. Can't say Mhiki's providing anything he wouldn't at the moment.
Defensively his off the ball movement is probably what Jose likes... he seems to keep pace with his man quite well in a way you don't often see Martial doing and Mata wouldn't be quick enough to do.

Other than that he's been terrible in almost every other aspect though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Current system of starting one and brining on the other to finish is working a treat. Don't see why we should change a brilliant tactic when it works so well.
Long term it is not a solution because I am sure both those guys want to be regular starters.. so whilst it is fine in the short term, long term it would be ideal if we can incorporate them both into the side. Not to mention style of football wise, it hasn't been great IMO and we could probably improve on that front and probably still pick up results as well. Worth a try, if it doesn't work .. it doesn't work.

Pacificgi

Can just imagine all 3 getting in each others way in a 352/343.

Only way it can work is 433 with rashford on the right - frustrating thing is we look better as team playing 3 at the back

Tarrou

I'm not sure it's his best position, but for sure I'd rather him there than Mkhi right now. Although, perhaps Mata would be better suited.

James Peril

On the contrary, it was often Mkhitaryan who let Coutinho roam free at Anfield. Those extra runs and 5% more energy that keeps him off the ball instead of being able to do something... Mkhi a bit weak and defensively nonchalant

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’d rather try Mata for a run of games. He’s a threat in the box too and will have something to prove.

RAVred

You reached that conclusion after watching play exactly 0 minutes together. You're an oracle
They have played together in the past... The only way they'd lineup is if their both on the wings, or both as strikers (but thats not the ideal choice.. Lukaku is more effective as the striker than both at present).

Home&Away

Yes definitely - play 352 & let martial initiate attacks from deep by dribbling St defence or making runs behind the defence off Lukaku'flicks

Silas

No. Martial seems to like playing with one plane of view. I don't think he would do well receiving the ball and having to be aware of all 360 degrees around him.
What's that based on? He said himself he prefers to play as a striker so that can't be true.

Minimalist

Wouldn't hurt right now given how gash the latter is playing. Martial or Rashford behind Lukaku would be a good approach for sure.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

What's that based on? He said himself he prefers to play as a striker so that can't be true.
Strikers will always try to isolate a defender so they only have to see what's in front of them. A number 10 needs to be aware of much more going on around them.

el3mel

If Martial plays behind Lukaku he will be more of a SS than a number 10, I don't know if he'll succeed in it or not but it's worth a try.

Lukaku is linking pretty well with him so far. Both forward with Martial dropped down a bit as a SS with Rashford and Mata or Mikhi as wings, bring in the classick 4-2-2-2.

We can try it in a cup game or one of the meaningless CL group game if we finish it early.

Hawks2008

Wouldn't mind trying Zlatan there when he gets back, but not Martial. He's best on the left wing or as a left-sided striker.