Should we "sell" our transfer clause to Palace?

lysglimt

Scout
At the moment, Palace are demanding a totally unrealistic transfer fee to sell Zaha because of our 25% sell-on-clause, - a fee no one is prepared to pay in todays climate.

This is not good for us, not for Palace and certainly not for Zaha.

Should we offer to "sell" the clause back to Palace for £12 million - we get a guaranteed amount in rather than risk not getting anything if Zaha runs out his contract or signs a new contract with Palace.

Palace can sell Zaha for .. £60 million and still get a nice amount of Money, and Zaha can go to a better club for the last years of his career

cyberman

No. He has 3 years left on his contract, he isn't sitting it out and he signed a new deal 18 months ago.

SungSam7

No, Palace are hiding behind the excuse of this sell on clause, they know Zaha is key to them staying up. He is worth a lot more than 100 million to them when you consider league payments.

gajender

At the moment, Palace are demanding a totally unrealistic transfer fee to sell Zaha because of our 25% sell-on-clause, - a fee no one is prepared to pay in todays climate.

Should we offer to "sell" the clause back to Palace for £12 million - we get a guaranteed amount in rather than risk not getting anything if Zaha runs out his contract or signs a new contract with Palace.

Palace can sell Zaha for .. £60 million and still get a nice amount of Money, and Zaha can go to a better club for the last years of his career
Why on earth would Palace agree to that they know they aren't getting anywhere near 60m for Zaha

MrBest

He is worth 100m in my eyes, or 25m for us. That is a quarter of the fee we may pay for Sancho. Every little helps in this pandemic.

Zaha will leave this year, he cannot afford to stay at Palace any longer if he wants to progress. I can see Everton, Leicester, Wolves, Spurs going for him depending on budget. On a serious note, anything above 10m (our share) is a good deal for us.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
No. They bought him for what, £6m from us? They need to be realistic about the transfer fee and suck it up. They'll be making a profit regardless.

Of course they are entitled to keep an unhappy player who only signed a contract 18 months ago and lose him for nothing in a couple of years.

We're not a charity.

HackeyC

It's up to Palace but they are taking an idiotic stance. The idea that they need increase thefee because they still have an effective debt outstanding on the player is a twisted logic.

Consider me buying a 500k house with a 125k mortgage. I then try to flip it for 625k so I can buy another 500k house mortgage free. In the real world I can ask for whatever I want, but unless some mug comes along and pays over the odds I'm not going to get it. If I want to clear my mortgage I need to start looking at 375k houses.

If Palace sell Zaha they need to replace him with a cheaper player or top up their pot. If they don't sell him they will lose him anyway and 100% of nothing is zero. They won't be that stupid. He'll go for 60m and we will still see £15m imo.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

If they just sell him for 64m normally they’d end up with the same amount without the faffing about with this non sense or having to pay us the 12m first. This makes no sense.

Nick7

In a word, no. They knew what they were signing up for when they bought him.

CM

If Zaha is as determined to leave as Hodgson suggested he was, there's very little reason why we'd be interested in doing that.

His stock has already taken a bit of a hit from Palace refusing to sell last summer. If they don't sell this summer they might miss their chance.

SATA

I can’t believe Palace were initially willing to accept this 25% sell on clause from us. That’s bonkers. They must be desperate to get him at that point of time or the low transfer fee we sold to them works magic

Robbie Boy

Why would anyone spent that kind of money on Zaha? He's very inconsistent and had a pretty horrible season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No one in their right mind is paying more than 40M for Zaha in the current market. That might chance of course if the Newcastle take over happens.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I can’t believe Palace were initially willing to accept this 25% sell on clause from us. That’s bonkers. They must be desperate to get him at that point of time or the low transfer fee we sold to them works magic
Why wouldn't they?

It's a win win

If he's shit the clause means nothing. If he's good the clause wont matter.

Compared to not having him in the first place

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The 25% clause was to offset the incredibly low fee they bought him back from us. We bought him for £15m IIRC, they got him back from us for £3m, rising to £6m with add-ons.

Why should United help them again?

gajender

The 25% clause was to offset the incredibly low fee they bought him back from us. We bought him for £15m IIRC, they got him back from us for £3m, rising to £6m with add-ons.

We aren't helping Palace if they pay 12 m to remove the clause they would be stupid to do so and do you see Palace able to sell Zaha for 48m because anything less than that they would be making less money on the deal .

SteveTheRed

He is worth 100m in my eyes, or 25m for us. That is a quarter of the fee we may pay for Sancho. Every little helps in this pandemic.

Zaha will leave this year, he cannot afford to stay at Palace any longer if he wants to progress. I can see Everton, Leicester, Wolves, Spurs going for him depending on budget. On a serious note, anything above 10m (our share) is a good deal for us.
:wenger:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Thing is a Palace season ticket holder mate argues that if Maguire is worth £80m, then Zaha is worth £100m. We'll understandably get that thrown at us for years cos we overpaid so badly.

Denis' cuff

It's up to Palace but they are taking an idiotic stance. The idea that they need increase thefee because they still have an effective debt outstanding on the player is a twisted logic.

Consider me buying a 500k house with a 125k mortgage. I then try to flip it for 625k so I can buy another 500k house mortgage free. In the real world I can ask for whatever I want, but unless some mug comes along and pays over the odds I'm not going to get it. If I want to clear my mortgage I need to start looking at 375k houses.

If Palace sell Zaha they need to replace him with a cheaper player or top up their pot. If they don't sell him they will lose him anyway and 100% of nothing is zero. They won't be that stupid. He'll go for 60m and we will still see £15m imo.
Yep. The greed in the game is disgusting at times.

The entitlement is mind boggling. Like Sanchez expecting another club to be stupid enough to maintain wages agreed in totally different circumstances. He wants to leave but also keep the same wages. Sorry pal - either stay with your ridiculous salary or feck off (preferably) and you’ll still net a wage far in excess of merit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
L
Thing is a Palace season ticket holder mate argues that if Maguire is worth £80m, then Zaha is worth £100m. We'll understandably get that thrown at us for years cos we overpaid so badly.
Don't think Maguire is top class himself' but he's probably a better CB than Zaha is a winger. The latter is flashy and a good dribbler but lacks end product and a strong football brain.

Maguire shouldn't be reference point anyway. We did overpay everyone knows that

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
L

Don't think Maguire is top class himself' but he's probably a better CB than Zaha is a winger. The latter is flashy and a good dribbler but lacks end product and a strong football brain.

Maguire shouldn't be reference point anyway. We did overpay everyone knows that
It's really a moot point I guess, but reflects how transfers like Maguire and Sanchez will hurt you in the transfer market.
Can't see where Zaha would move to unless Newcastle go crazy.

CM

If anything Wan-Bissaka would be the point of comparison. I think they were reluctant to let Zaha leave for less than what they sold him last summer, and I imagine their stance won't have changed too much since. I don't see anyone paying as much as £50m for Zaha now though.

lysglimt

Scout

It's not about helping them - it's about getting Money now - rather than risk not getting anything for him - or a much lower sum in 12 months

gajender

It's not about helping them - it's about getting Money now - rather than risk not getting anything for him - or a much lower sum in 12 months
But there is no upside for Palace why would they agree for quoted amount when they aren't sure how much Saha would go for now it simply doesn't make sense for them.

SlimDizzle075

not after the way they haggled for AWB, we paid over the odds for him. I think he will be well worth all of it in the end. but they never budged or did us any favors,

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Palace would need to sell him for 48M for you to get these 12M. That would leave them with 36M so a 30M profit.
Palace's gamble is will Zaha suck it out another year to avoid relegation or is he going to drop tools. Even now, i don't see Spurs or Everton paying that unless Richarlisson gets a big move.
Signing that new deal was such a massive and predictable mistake.