Show the bloody game!

twitter thread suggester
I've complained about this for years, and now it's getting it's own thread.

I'm sick and tired of missing several minutes of actual play when watching a game on telly because some wannabe Hollywood producer sits in his production van and decides that showing the same replay of an incident over and over again, showing close-ups of players, showing the crowd, showing the manager, and showing the sky is more important than the game itself.

Yes I get it, Fergie sits in the stand. Yes, he's got a telephone, it's amazing. Yes, he's talking to Rene, how clever. Yes, Rene now walks away over to the touchline. Yes, he talks with Phelan. Or wait, no, he talks to Rooney. Curveball. feck off!

All while the ball is in play and you can hear the crowd getting louder and louder because we're brining the ball up field. Then when the Hollywood producer is done wanking over footage of Fergie sitting in the stands and finally decides to return to the pitch, Bolton suddenly have a throw-in in their own half, despite it being out for a goal kick to us the last time we saw it.

The English football producers are by far the worst at this. The Spanish ones usually don't show any replays of an incident until they're certain the ball is out for long enough time. In England all it takes is for Edwin to catch a shot and we immediately get 3 replays of some random incident, and then when they're done showing the replays we also get 10 seconds of very close-up footage of the player involved in the incident, as if we didn't know from the billion replays already shown. All while the ball has been in play. Wankers.

In other news, great win for us, eh.

Chabon

Woah now, everybody knows that Owen Coyle's incomprehensible barking is more important than where the ball is. And you're wrong, the French are much, much worse.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Much worse in Spain/Italy where they sometimes try to show areas of the field a player is likely to pass the ball to rather than the ball itself.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Woah now, everybody knows that Owen Coyle's incomprehensible barking is more important than where the ball is. And you're wrong, the French are much, much worse.
I almost had a coronary during this

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do they still do that thing in Spain where they show slow motion replays of different players saying and gesturing various things at different parts of the game together? Used to be quite funny.

Scrumpet

There are no words
In my experience Spanish tv spends a ridiculous ammount of time showing close ups of players' faces. Much more annoying.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
In my experience Spanish tv spends a ridiculous ammount of time showing close ups of players' faces. Much more annoying.
Was going to say exactly this, it's like a very gay little montage of extreme close-ups of each players face.

Generally though the OP is bang on, it's fecking annoying.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Was going to say exactly this, it's like a very gay little montage of extreme close-ups of each players face.

Generally though the OP is bang on, it's fecking annoying.
This is what I'm talking about. I find that hilarious. Like some gay spoof of a hollywood blockbuster, except with a bunch of ugly sweaty men.

It pisses me off too.

I can hear the crowd responding to something happening on the pitch and I wanna know what it is. They gotta pick and choose the right moments to show them pointless replays.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Oh, and I really don't care if Capello is watching the game!!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I just wish every broadcaster would stop copying Sky by showing close-ups of fans biting their nails etc. So old...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've complained about this for years, and now it's getting it's own thread.

I'm sick and tired of missing several minutes of actual play when watching a game on telly because some wannabe Hollywood producer sits in his production van and decides that showing the same replay of an incident over and over again, showing close-ups of players, showing the crowd, showing the manager, and showing the sky is more important than the game itself.

Yes I get it, Fergie sits in the stand. Yes, he's got a telephone, it's amazing. Yes, he's talking to Rene, how clever. Yes, Rene now walks away over to the touchline. Yes, he talks with Phelan. Or wait, no, he talks to Rooney. Curveball. feck off!

All while the ball is in play and you can hear the crowd getting louder and louder because we're brining the ball up field. Then when the Hollywood producer is done wanking over footage of Fergie sitting in the stands and finally decides to return to the pitch, Bolton suddenly have a throw-in in their own half, despite it being out for a goal kick to us the last time we saw it.

The English football producers are by far the worst at this. The Spanish ones usually don't show any replays of an incident until they're certain the ball is out for long enough time. In England all it takes is for Edwin to catch a shot and we immediately get 3 replays of some random incident, and then when they're done showing the replays we also get 10 seconds of very close-up footage of the player involved in the incident, as if we didn't know from the billion replays already shown. All while the ball has been in play. Wankers.

In other news, great win for us, eh.
:lol: I complain about this every single week, but I'm sure its getting worse. There was one point today where a Bolton player had a header. We got two replays of it, then a close up of his head as he ran about somewhere, then a picture of some people mulling about at the side of the pitch, presumably talking about the header (?), and then for some reason a five second close up of Berbatov's face, despite him having nothing to do with anything.

Some things I've noticed camera directors have a particular fetish for:

Fabio Capello's head - shown on several occasions and for minutes at a time if he's attending the game, often accompanied by insightful commentary comments such as "and he'll be keeping a watchful eye on the English contingent in particular". Because he's the England manager see, watching a football game involving English players. Well done.

Alex Ferguson's partially visible head - EVERY home game at Old Trafford. He's sat down, behind a brick wall, meaning you can't even see his face, but it'll still be shown on at least ten seperate occasions, and additionally after every single incident he might react to in some visible way. For example, a badly taken goal kick, or shot off target.

Rain - Camera directors get a hard on from showing rain falling backdropped against the stadium roof or floodlights.

Cristiano Ronaldo's boots - Ronaldo's boots are apparently so interesting it's necessary to dedicate a significant proportion of live football coverage entirely to them. This lead to BBC1 not even bothering to show the best goal of Euro 2004 until several minutes after it had happened.

The French are worse though. If someone performs a backheel or controls the football in a slightly unusual way, live coverage will immediately be cut in order for a five minute ******** to commence whilst a loop of slow motion close up replays are shown of the incident. Then a corner will be awarded and they'll switch to that stupid fecking camera angle where it's impossible to tell what's going on.

B Cantona

Desperate
Then a corner will be awarded and they'll switch to that stupid fecking camera angle where it's impossible to tell what's going on.
This is what irks me. One of the most dangerous moments in a game, as the ball is delivered into the box with bodies packed in the area, and they choose an angle where all depth perspective is lost. fecking ridiculous, and they've been doing it for years now

Alex

It's not really that big of a deal, and provides some talking points, I am fine with it

Dyslexic Untied

Agree.

I like replays of good challenges, good tackles and of good pieces of skill. A good Scholes' pass for example is never shown in a replay.

If they cut down on the replays of players walking around after a halfchance, and increased the amount of replays of good footballing skills, then I'd be happy.

twitter thread suggester
Seriously, it's been beyond ridiculous so far in this game. We have seen more of Fergie, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Bruce, Phil Jones' hair, the fans, the SAF stand and the referee than the match.

Cut it out, idiots!

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Don't mind seeing shots of the banner or stand today, but they need to cut the rest. Now there is an injury we are watching the player slowly thrust.

kps88

He couldn't stop creeping at Scholes, Giggs and Neville.

Laphroaig

I must admit I enjoyed the Scholes, Giggs, Neville voyeurism, but yes, this is something I'm complaining about almost every single match. It must've gotten even worse this season and it was terrible today.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I get fed up during televised sports events and the networks pan the crowd to show us this celebrity, that spouse, ex-players, etc. I don't give a shit who's attending the match.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm sure this is part of the plan to add more 'drama' to the game, making it more about the personalities within the game than the game itself.

I suspect we'll only see more of this, sadly.

I agree with the OP, show the game.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
They just sat on Fergie for a good 30 seconds while the ball was in play and the crowd was gesticulating behind him.

I was so fecking pissed.

Neutral

BTV
They just sat on Fergie for a good 30 seconds while the ball was in play and the crowd was gesticulating behind him.

I was so fecking pissed.
Yup, I understand this was a special occasion, but they could have done it when there was a break in play. Instead we had the commentators blabbering away for as you say 30-40 seconds, the crowd reacting(think we had possession) and yet the tv image was of Fergie just sitting there....haha.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
lmao Top, nearly good enough to have made my end of season awards. Unfortunately you're a tad late!

SATA

I don't mind if it's United related personnel even if it's United in possession and something might be happening on the pitch. Thought the Giggs/Neville/Scholes shots were quite nostalgic where we certainly won't see them all together on the pitch again at the same time

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I enjoyed seeing Neville, Giggs, Scholes chatting.. It IS sometimes annoying, but it's not only in the premier league. It's everywhere in the world.

twitter thread suggester
showed fergie picking his nose at one point
Yeah which was inevitable really as they had zoomed in on him for 2 minutes at that point - while the match was on.

I think we only got to see Lindegaard kick the ball from a goal kick twice. All the other times the spastic director was focusing on something else, nad when they returned to the match it was suddenly either on Sunderland's feet or out for a throw in.

I want to watch football.