g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Signing Lukaku end of the road of Rashford's (long-term) hopes of being a first-choice striker?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So just as Martial before him was pushed to the wings, against his wishes but ultimately probably for his own good according to some (debatable IMO), does signing a striker before he's even really hit his prime but close to it at age 24, with a strong injury record basically confirm to Rashford that the chances of him being Mourinho's first choice striker or a striker for England (with him facing a similar challenge in Kane) are minimal.

Does he accept that the best way to break into the first team for club and country is as a wide player or does he bide his time and hope he gets chances up front and gives Mourinho and Southgate food for thought.

I mean he is still young, but say Lukaku is a huge success and likewise Kane is England's spearhead for years to come, he'll be 26 by the time he can overtake them and by then, there will be loads more signings, more competition and he won't have had regular first team football in his favoured position. Is he going to be facing a Welbeck situation?

How do you see his season panning out and what are your thoughts on his development curve going forwards?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Shouldn't we be thinking about what's good for Manchester United rather than what's good for X or Y youth player?

We couldn't go into next season without bringing in a striker who guaranties goals and we thankfully brought one.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Probably, although Lukaku could well flop. You just never know.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Shouldn't we be thinking about what's good for Manchester United rather than what's good for X or Y youth player?

We couldn't go into next season without bringing in a striker who guaranties goals which is what we did.
I am not saying we did the wrong thing, far from it.. read my previous posts, I was crying out for a striker in his prime, which we have got with Lukaku. Although I have slight reservations about him prior to signing him, in terms of profile and age etc.. fantastic common sense signing, so I am all for it. I hope he's a huge success and proves his doubters wrong (me included).

This is just a discussion about what will happen to Rashford?

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
He was the only striker we had on the books really, I'm sure he knew someone was going to be signed. I'm sure Rashford sees it as a challenge.

Mike09

So just as Martial before him was pushed to the wings, against his wishes but ultimately probably for his own good according to some (debatable IMO), does signing a striker before he's even really hit his prime but close to it at age 24, with a strong injury record basically confirm to Rashford that the chances of him being Mourinho's first choice striker or a striker for England (with him facing a similar challenge in Kane) are minimal.

Does he accept that the best way to break into the first team for club and country is as a wide player or does he bide his time and hope he gets chances up front and gives Mourinho and Southgate food for thought.

I mean he is still young, but say Lukaku is a huge success and likewise Kane is England's spearhead for years to come, he'll be 26 by the time he can overtake them and by then, there will be loads more signings, more competition and he won't have had regular first team football in his favoured position. Is he going to be facing a Welbeck situation?

How do you see his season panning out and what are your thoughts on his development curve going forwards?
Capello did play Zlatan on the left a few times. Jose did play Morata on the left too. Aubameyang played on the left before Lewandowski left. I think there are some players who aren't ready enough in mentality to be a striker in top level and need more times. By playing out wide means Rashford will have less pressure than Lukaku and also at the same time will give him more games time so he can gain more confidence to get better for his mentality and and also he can improve some other aspects by playing as a winger. I have no worries about his development just because he plays wide, time will come for him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Lukaku is a proven goal scorer. However he's hardly world class. If Saha can put RVN on the bench then Rashford can do the same with Lukaku. Also I think that Rashford and Lukaku can co-exist together in the same way Alli and Kane do.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I am not saying we did the wrong thing, far from it.. read my previous posts, I was crying out for a striker in his prime, which we have got with Lukaku. Although I have slight reservations about him prior to signing him, in terms of profile and age etc.. fantastic common sense signing, so I am all for it.

This is just a discussion about what will happen to Rashford?
Well Rashford will get his gametime accordingly given it's a long season with many games and if he's good then he'll force Mou to have something to think about.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Rashford is what? 19? Lukaku is 24. He has plenty of time. I don't know why people panic over him so much, really, especially when we play 60-odd games a season. Ultimately he's not nearly ready to be a first choice striker here so it shouldn't be a concern.

Same thread popped up last season when he signed Ibra, and Rashford still got loads of gametime.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Capello did play Zlatan on the left a few times. Jose did play Morata on the left too. Aubameyang played on the left before Lewandowski left. I think there are some players who aren't ready enough in mentality to be a striker in top level and need more times. Rashford will gain the confidence to get better for his mentality and and also he can improve some other aspects by playing as a winger. I have no worries about his development just because he plays wide, time will come for him.
Out of interest though, who were their rivals and how long were they playing out of position on the left or out wide in general? Morata for example had to end up going on loan and even now is still a misfit at his club with minimal experience of being a starter number 9.

This is a situation where Rashford may have to be a starter out wide for a significant portion of his career (i.e. 7 years plus). Not sure if that is the best thing for him career wise, especially as I think we can do better out wide by getting in some proper wing forwards.

@Massive Spanner slightly different comparing that situation with Zlatan, ageing striker and us buying say a striker aged 27-28 and Rashford thinking he can be first choice aged 23/24. This reminds me of the Giggs managerial situation, where the club isn't fully convinced and he will be slightly stringed along, thinking he can make it but eventually will have to move elsewhere if he wants to be a proper number 9 in the prime of his career.

Infra-red

The injury to Zlatan made signing a new #9 a necessity and it was never likely to be another player in his 30's, willing to step aside in a year or two.

He'll need to develop as wide forward or out-perform Lukaku through the middle. I think the latter is possible.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rashford is what? 19? Lukaku is 24. He has plenty of time. I don't know why people panic over him so much, really, especially when we play 60-odd games a season. Ultimately he's not nearly ready to be a first choice striker here so it shouldn't be a concern.

Same thread popped up last season when he signed Ibra, and Rashford still got loads of gametime.
As a winger, until Zlatan did his cruciate, to be fair.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If Lukaku turns out to be a long term success, yes.
The ideal scenario for Rashford is Lukaku good for a number of seasons with Rashford developing as is, then goes off the boil and he steps up. Who knows what will happen though?

Absolutely.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
As a winger, until Zlatan did his cruciate, to be fair.
Well so what? it's still valuable game time, and most youngsters are played out of position/shunted into the team in areas we're short of players in, it's just how it is, because they generally aren't ready to be first choice in their natural positions, especially a lone striker which is probably the most high-pressure role on the pitch.

Mike09

Out of interest though, who were their rivals and how long were they playing out of position on the left or out wide in general? Morata for example had to end up going on loan and even now is still a misfit at his club with minimal experience of being a starter number 9.

This is a situation where Rashford may have to be a starter out wide for a significant portion of his career (i.e. 7 years plus). Not sure if that is the best thing for him career wise, especially as I think we can do better out wide by getting in some proper wing forwards.
By playing out wide means Rashford will have less pressure than Lukaku and also at the same time will give him more games time so he can gain more confidence to get better for his mentality. He's still a teenager and being a lone striker (Assume that Jose is playing a lone striker) in Manchester United is massive task and has a lot of pressure. Can he handle it? Well, I guess the time will come when Lukaku is injured or need a rest. But for now I think getting more games time is also very important for his development as well both as a striker and also overall.

CG1010

He can aim to be better than Lukaku, no? Not for a couple of years maybe but after that. He certainly has the talent to do so.

Al-T

We've signed Lukaku but Ibra and Rooney have gone. Rashford will have expected us to move for a striker given Martial is the only other option. Expect him to get plenty of game time over a long season.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
it seems Mourinho can't win with Rashford.

lat summer there was a thread by a WUM poster called "i'm worried about Rashford" after we signed Zlatan, saying that with Mourinho's track record and that signing that he'd no longer get any game time, he did, he got loads of game time (despite being really shit for lengthy periods, might I add). Now, after signing a striker we desperately needed, people have moved on to moaning about him not getting to play in his natural position.

He's 19 for feck sake, and nowhere ready to lead the line for this club. Can't people just be happy that he is playing? Martial is the one people should be worried about.

Siorac

By playing out wide means Rashford will have less pressure than Lukaku and also at the same time will give him more games time so he can gain more confidence to get better for his mentality. He's still a teenager and being a lone striker (Assume that Jose is playing a lone striker) in Manchester United is massive task and has a lot of pressure. Can he handle it? Well, I guess the time will come when Lukaku is injured or need a rest. But for now I think getting more games time is also very important.
Thing is, for the sake of the team, he should not play wide because he's mostly poor there. He's underwhelming on the left and very poor on the right, generally. We should have much better options out wide than Rashford, especially we play 4-2-3-1.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
By playing out wide means Rashford will have less pressure than Lukaku and also at the same time will give him more games time so he can gain more confidence to get better for his mentality. He's still a teenager and being a lone striker (Assume that Jose is playing a lone striker) in Manchester United is massive task and has a lot of pressure. Can he handle it? Well, I guess the time will come when Lukaku is injured or need a rest. But for now I think getting more games time is also very important.
Right now, and over the next few seasons it isn't an issue. My point is however that Lukaku is merely 24. If he turns into a Drogba, and assuming he's even better aged 27-31.. then by that age Rashford will be aged 23-26 and will still be a winger/occasional striker and will that be good for him, will that satisfy him. It is the long term question I am discussing here.. for the next few seasons, there is no issue. But it is a ticking time bomb IMO.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't think so. Jose is always flexible tactically, as we saw last season against Chelsea at home. There will be occasions where we change our systems around, like that day when we went with 2 up top and pace in behind. He's a very useful player with a very useful skill set and he'll have no problem getting minutes.

That said, he is of course behind Lukaku in the pecking order. But then he was always going to be, you don't rely on a 19 year old to lead the line. And you don't put your £75m striker on the bench.

Natener

If last season is anything to go by then he will get plenty of gametime. There will be some games he gets to play upfront with Lukaku, and probably some games on his own when Lukaku picks up a knock or is rested. If we have to worry about this being the end of the road for one 19yr old then what about all the other youth strikers in the academy?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well so what? it's still valuable game time, and most youngsters are played out of position/shunted into the team in areas we're short of players in, it's just how it is, because they generally aren't ready to be first choice in their natural positions, especially a lone striker which is probably the most high-pressure role on the pitch.
Well it has little relevance regarding the OPs point about him getting the opportunity to establish himself as our centre forward.

Quizierda

It's all about competition.
I think/hope both of them are up for the challenge and the better will play. Jose trusts Rash and he knows that. The same applies to Lukaku so Jose surely has a plan in hand how to handle both of them.

Mike09

Thing is, for the sake of the team, he should not play wide because he's mostly poor there. He's underwhelming on the left and very poor on the right, generally. We should have much better options out wide than Rashford, especially we play 4-2-3-1.
That will be a different discussion.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Well it has little relevance regarding the OPs point about him getting the opportunity to establish himself as our centre forward.
huh? the feck you on about? I literally argued against the idea that we should be bothered about that right now.

Mike09

Right now, and over the next few seasons it isn't an issue. My point is however that Lukaku is merely 24. If he turns into a Drogba, and assuming he's even better aged 27-31.. then by that age Rashford will be aged 23-26 and will still be a winger/occasional striker and will that be good for him, will that satisfy him. It is the long term question I am discussing here.. for the next few seasons, there is no issue. But it is a ticking time bomb IMO.
There is no guarantee that Jose will be our manager after 4-7 seasons. Who knows may be he will or may be he won't or may be the new manager will play two strikers or may be Jose will play a new system with two strikers in 5 seasons later or may be Lukaku will join Real Madrid.

You are thinking it too hard if you are going beyond 3 seasons.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We'll have enough games for there to be a rotation. As long as Mourinho is willing to drop Lukaku if he doesn't perform and provides Rashford with enough chances to prove himself, I won't be worried. We'll see, but I'm confident Rashford will play plenty of minutes up front. Mourinho would be an idiot not to give him a chance there.

CG1010

Why can't Rashford also become as good or better than Lukaku? He will have plenty of games starting this season to develop himself upto his potential. And if he can't then we cannot wait for him to become so.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
huh? the feck you on about? I literally argued against the idea that we should be bothered about that right now.
Calm the feck down. I'm aware what you argued. In arguing it, you asked 'so what' about my making a point that majority of his games were wide last season.

I simply explained the relevance of the post, in the context with the OPs point about being concerned Rash will not get games at CF. Him getting games out wide are great, but are not games at CF, which was initial point/question.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Why can't Rashford also become as good or better than Lukaku? He will have plenty of games starting this season to develop himself upto his potential. And if he can't then we cannot wait for him to become so.
He can. I wasn't saying he couldn't.. I just wanted to know what people thought will happen, and see what the consensus was. It is going to be interesting to see how Rashford tackles this. One thing having a guy like Zlatan keeping you out the side and mentoring you, whereas this is proper competition with a guy closer in age and a proper threat to his long term hopes.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Calm the feck down. I'm aware what you argued. In arguing it, you asked 'so what' about my making a point that majority of his games were wide last season.

I simply explained the relevance of the post, in the context with the OPs point about being concerned Rash will not get games at CF. Him getting games out wide are great, but are not games at CF, which was initial point/question.
I don't know why you're still arguing your point though.

I said it doesn't matter if he gets games in the center, he's 19 etc., he's still playing a lot. i.e. I argued the question in the op. You then proceeded to keep going on about the question in the op even though I'd already argued my point. What's the point in going in circles here?

Kostur

海尔的老板
If Rashford shows that he's better than Lukaku then surely he'll get his chances and displace him, no reason not to, it's not like we're shackled by the 'my captain shall always play' bullshit anymore.

CG1010

He can. I wasn't saying he couldn't.. I just wanted to know what people thought will happen, and see what the consensus was. It is going to be interesting to see how Rashford tackles this. One thing having a guy like Zlatan keeping you out the side and mentoring you, whereas this is proper competition with a guy closer in age and a proper threat to his long term hopes.
Yes you are right that now there is much more competition than if Ibra was around. But that's to be expected and he should back himself up to win the competition. He's got some fantastic strengths on which he can build over and make use of the opportunities that come his way.