Signing Ronaldo will lead United to a true title challenge

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think about it. United signed Van Persie for 24m, and he basically gave 1 good (great) year. It was a team that was flawed but had an elite scorer. Now we'll sign an elite goal scorer who can give us 2 years of greatness, with a very good defensive line to keep us solid, and some elite creators to set things up for Ronaldo, who can still score as well as anyone in the world.

Even if we don't have the midfielder we might need, a signing like Ronaldo can swing it and drag us up anyway. Let's fecking go

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Even the stupidest players could just hit the ball really hard and if it somehow lands on Ronaldo it's a goal. He'll drag defenders around hopefully and be a huge distraction that even an average midfield wouldn't be pressed so hard by the opponents midfielders + defenders because we are no goal threat up front. Ronaldo can change things around as we saw with Cavani.

bosnian_red

Have you forgot about Ole?
Have you forgot it's Ronaldo coming in to score goals up top, with Bruno, Pogba and Sancho creating, and a back line with Maguire/Varane to always keep the opposition to very few goals?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Fred and Matic our only central midfielders for the next few weeks. Then again RVP was enough to carry Cleverley and Anderson.

OleBoiii

Feck it, who needs a midfield? Let's just play kick-and-run and hope that the magic of Ronaldo, Bruno, Sancho and Rashford solve our problems.

Chabon

Think about it. United signed Van Persie for 24m, and he basically gave 1 good (great) year. It was a team that was flawed but had an elite scorer. Now we'll sign an elite goal scorer who can give us 2 years of greatness, with a very good defensive line to keep us solid, and some elite creators to set things up for Ronaldo, who can still score as well as anyone in the world.
Van Persie joined a team which had just finished second with 89 points and had about five thousand title winner medals between them. Ronaldo might be the difference to this side, but it’s not a comparable situation.

OleBoiii

Fred and Matic our only central midfielders for the next few weeks. Then again RVP was enough to carry Cleverley and Anderson.
To be fair, Carrick had the best season of his life and was arguably as good as RVP.

But!

Bruno > 2012 Rooney.
Rashford > Kagawa
Sancho > 2012 Valencia

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think it will take us up a level like different transfers would, but I don't care. Worth the risk for 1-2 years.

OverratedOpinion

I love Ole and been one of his biggest supporters.

Right now he has failed if we do not make a proper title challenge. If we sign Ronaldo I think we would be title favourites and Ole should be judged as such.

bosnian_red

Van Persie joined a team which had just finished second with 89 points and had about five thousand title winner medals between them. Ronaldo might be the difference to this side, but it’s not a comparable situation.
Sure it is. It's a side with some flaws carried because of a few individuals. Our current squad is a lot stronger than that one. A great goalscorer and our attackers and solid defenders can cover up a lot of holes.

Devil may care

Maybe next season if we sort out midfield but not this season with the crap we have in there.

Zlatattack

yep. maybe throw a CM into the mix.
if we sign Saul, even on loan, this season is going to look like FIFA

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Obviously having a goalscorer like that will help and he would seem to fit us better than City.

But....

All the pre-existing problems we've been complaining about are still right there. And having him didn't stop Juve from finishing 4th in Serie A last season, so his presence in the side doesn't automatically gloss over a team's problems.

The_Midfielder

Obviously having a goalscorer like that will help and he would seem to fit us better than City.

But....

All the pre-existing problems we've been complaining about are still right there. And having him didn't stop Juve from finishing 4th in Serie A last season, so his presence in the side doesn't automatically gloss over a team's problems.
We have a better team than Juve.. If we get Ronaldo.. we have somebody with that killer instinct .. how many games would we have won last season if we had Ronaldo instead of Martial/Rashford ??

Jeffthered

Not sure how I feel about this... More not good, than good. There is no strategy behind this.. it's opportunism, absolutely short-term and suggests a degree of nostalgia and desperation. Not sure this is the best look. What about Cavani???? He's not sitting on the bench when fit, not at his stage of career.

BUT this is Ronaldo..he will bring a presence, vital experience and quality and goals...we need all of these. It will change the dynamic of things, and Ole will now have two global stars to contend with (I don't think he welcomes the big reputation..). And he's 37 next birthday..this is where we are as a club?

It could be spectacular and quite moving for us fans... But come January, we will be asking the same old questions..'...is Pogba staying, is Ronaldo staying...United need a centre-forward..'

bosnian_red

But....

Look at the impact Cavani had when he was fit? Now swap him for Ronaldo, and add Varane and Sancho. That's a fecking massive difference.

Jacob

Watch Ole put him on the bench for cameos the first couple of games.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I love Ole and been one of his biggest supporters.

Right now he has failed if we do not make a proper title challenge. If we sign Ronaldo I think we would be title favourites and Ole should be judged as such.
Err... Given the choice of Ronaldo or a good DM, the choice is clear.

Siorac

Was going to comment the exact same thing.

Carrick was arguably as important to that 2012/13 title as Van Persie. He was the club's Players' Player of the Year that season.

el3mel

I can't wait to see him on pitch with our shirt again. The feeling will be fantastic.

bosnian_red

What about Cavani???? He's not sitting on the bench when fit, not at his stage of career.
Cavani will be stuck in Uruguay for most of the season because of restrictions probably, given he wants to play for them still.

OverratedOpinion

Err... Given the choice of Ronaldo or a good DM, the choice is clear.
Depends what you mean by "good".

I agree that position was important but never underestimate the importance of adding a world class striker who scores practically every time they play.

UDontMessWith24

Not sure about that but I did get chills thinking about viva Ronaldo ringing around old Trafford again

mu4c_20le

Depends what you mean by "good".

I agree that position was important but never underestimate the importance of adding a world class striker who scores practically every time they play.
Pretty sure he meant the obvious choice was Ronaldo ? I mean I know the obsession with DMs around here but would be madness

marktan

The biggest issue though is that his legs have noticeable been waning over the last year or two. He won't track back and we could end up with another Alexis like deterioration. It's a gamble for sure.

We still won't challenge though, we need an attacking RB and a proper DM to really challenge. We'll have too many Southampton like games still. I also think we really needed a fast, dribbling winger like say Chiesla to create space, we have about 10 passers but no true dribblers.

Jacob

Running down the (centre), hear United sing; Viva Ronaldo!

marktan

We just brought Jadon Sancho.
I include him, he's not a fast dribbler. Excellent close control but slow acceleration. He's not like say young Ronaldo, Nani, Neymar, Mane etc who all could beat a man from a standing start.

OverratedOpinion

I include him, he's not a fast dribbler. Excellent close control but slow acceleration. He's not like say young Ronaldo, Nani, Neymar, Mane etc who all could beat a man from a standing start.
We clearly need a striker more than a winger.

el3mel

I can see Cavani leaving in Jan personally. I think he'll return to his homeland and the club won't mind terminating his contract on mutual consent.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Got this from twitter

:lol::lol:
This team is quality. KLopp won a season with Henderson and Milner in midfield. Leceister won it with drinkwater, sir Alex with cleverly and Anderson, and pep with fernandinho(who isn't better than fred).

No team has all elite players starting in their 11. That team is good enough to win the champion league.

el3mel

This team is quality. KLopp won a season with Henderson and Milner in midfield. Leceister won it with drinkwater, sir Alex with cleverly and Anderson, and pep with fernandinho(who isn't better than fred).

No team has all elite players starting in their 11. That team is good enough to win the champion league.
Huh what ? Fernandinho is twice the player Fred.