Since we signed Bruno...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In all competitions:

In the league:
19/20:
Played 14 - 9 wins, 5 draws, 0 losses. 30 GS, 7 GA. 32 points.

20/21:
Played 9 - 5 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses. 16 GS, 16 GA. 16 points.

Total - played 23 - 14 wins, 6 draws, 3 losses
  • 48 points (2.09 per game, 79 pt pace for a season)
  • 46 goals (2 goals per game)
  • 23 conceded (1 goal per game)
Obviously the start of this season wasn't good enough, but there's been plenty of signs in our performances, selections and results that we're starting to get back to a "norm" for us, pointing to the early parts of this season just being an anomaly. Lot of questions still to be answered, and we have a long way to go but I'm getting the feeling we're getting our shit together and overall since the Bruno signing, it's been very positive and all the stats show it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cool.

When do we lift the trophy?

In all seriousness though, our reliance on Bruno reminds me of Liverpool’s reliance on Gerrard pre-Torres/Suarez. His impact has been unbelievable.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Usually you see these types of stats for players and it looks pretty unjustified. For example, win records when Juan Mata is on the pitch but with Bruno you really see the impact with and without him.

eltigreFalcao

Why do we want Calhanoglu?
Why do we want Erikssen? (as reported by Football Insider)
Why tf are we still linked to more playmakers where whe do have 2 excellent footballers there, and decent backup with up and coming youngsters as well?

answer: Papers
also: our recruitment is not well thought off by the look of the past decade (or more)

cyril C

Why tf are we still linked to more playmakers where whe do have 2 excellent footballers there, and decent backup with up and coming youngsters as well?

also: our recruitment is not well thought off by the look of the past decade (or more)
Not entirely papers. It would be probably more related to Agents, who wish to promote their client in front of another club, or want to spark a conversation in the market, talk to their friendly paper to get some exposure.

Even our own fans, or someone pretending to be fans but with an agenda within this Forum, fall into, or promote similar ideas. Why would we want Grealish? As influential and as good as he is, why do we want someone playing on the left hand side, with similar function as Bruno? A 80m backup just in case Bruno injure, after Pogba, VDB...

lex talionis

There’s no doubt about the massive contribution Bruno has made. His game lifts the play of others and we see the results in the pitch.

All-world XI right now for me.

passing-wind

Even our own fans, or someone pretending to be fans but with an agenda within this Forum, fall into, or promote similar ideas. Why would we want Grealish? As influential and as good as he is, why do we want someone playing on the left hand side, with similar function as Bruno? A 80m backup just in case Bruno injure, after Pogba, VDB...
It's funny I asked myself this exact same question the other day watching the villa highlights. For me personally it shows a identity crises with the manager and it already happened with Pogba. Bruno came in and improved the squad at the expense of pushing Pogba back into a role he's more or less useless in despite Solskjaer saying he wants to build a team with Paul as the focal point. So would history repeat itself with us buying Grealish and playing him at the tip of the midfield ?

Ole is a counter attacking pragmatic manager there's no chance I see Grealish on the wing to displace the threat and speed Rashford offers in a transition. To the OPs point I agree with praising Bruno if its an individual accolade but the moment its to use it as a foundation that the clubs success must ideally run through him that is a big issue. I've heard a few pundits already mutter this season "where would United be without Fernandes" those are always negative opinions because they speak more about the team than the individual player and that influence is down to management.

Number32

Cool.

In all seriousness though, our reliance on Bruno reminds me of Liverpool’s reliance on Gerrard pre-Torres/Suarez. His impact has been unbelievable.
Gerrard lifted the UCL trophy though, so I'd take that.

lex talionis

Jack is too expensive to be anyone’s backup. Best not to worry about him and to appreciate who we have in Bruno Fernandes.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
This Bruno-or-Bust approach will sting us later in the season if he gets injured. Can't really blame Ole as he has to work with what he has but I hope we make significant strides in the next transfer window.

MUFC07

Bruno is so good I'd given a leg to anachronistically put him instead of Kagawa in that RVP team.

Anyway, he really is one of the best players in the world at the moment.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Usually you see these types of stats for players and it looks pretty unjustified. For example, win records when Juan Mata is on the pitch but with Bruno you really see the impact with and without him.
Sample size in OP is still a bit low but when compared to the same number of games before Bruno it gives you a good idea of the impact.

Bruno and Mata have played 6 games togeths this season (4-1-1 record) and 10 games last season (6-3-1). So only 16 games, mostly cup games and many where they only played 3-15 minutes together. So an even smaller sample size but honestly the numbers are similar.

cyril C

It's funny I asked myself this exact same question the other day watching the villa highlights. For me personally it shows a identity crises with the manager and it already happened with Pogba. Bruno came in and improved the squad at the expense of pushing Pogba back into a role he's more or less useless in despite Solskjaer saying he wants to build a team with Paul as the focal point. So would history repeat itself with us buying Grealish and playing him at the tip of the midfield ?

Ole is a counter attacking pragmatic manager there's no chance I see Grealish on the wing to displace the threat and speed Rashford offers in a transition. To the OPs point I agree with praising Bruno if its an individual accolade but the moment its to use it as a foundation that the clubs success must ideally run through him that is a big issue. I've heard a few pundits already mutter this season "where would United be without Fernandes" those are always negative opinions because they speak more about the team than the individual player and that influence is down to management.
Bruno can't play 60 games a season, so there will always be a few games, hopefully not key ones, that we have to make do without him. You can make the same argument around KDB, that's why we need a squad and replacement plan. Mata and VDB are good bet who can somehow contribute

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s producing world class stats and he’s a leader since the minute he walked in the door. We absolutely lucked out and now is the time to capitalise and put some more real quality around him. If we do that then we are going places :)

HowieC

Cool.

Come to think of it, he is rather gerrard like

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I never have bought any football kit of any team in my entire life because for whatever reason, it never interested me. Bruno's make me very very tempted.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I never have bought any football kit of any team in my entire life because for whatever reason, it never interested me. Bruno's make me very very tempted.
I never asked any man to marry me in my entire life because for whatever reason, it never interested me. Bruno’s make me very very tempted. :)

Redfrog

I have never Saw Barcelona or Madrid complain about their relience on Messi or Ronaldo... It only means a player is so good that you will play him whenever he is available.
Bruno has a big big impact for us, we cannot replace him because he is world class, that is a good thing. It is a bigger problem when we relie on players without the same impact...

By the way, I think he is not the player to be injuried often. He is very thin and muscular, he is all nerves.
The biggest problem will be performances when tired, but I guess Ole will rest him in the odd cup game and it will be enough for him.

Let's be honest, we were crying for players with the same kind of impact for almost a decade. We need more like him in different positions.

dal

Hence why Ole wanted Grealish.

A fantastic player who will not only play when Bruno plays but a player who can play instead of Bruno to bolster our creativity.

Grealish, Rashford, Martial, Bruno, Cavani, Pogba, Greenwood, Diallo.

We would have had some incredible options for this year at least.

Hopefull next year pogba leaves and we get Grealish, I really believe we will sign Haaland and the United machine will be back again.

Young, Hungry, talented, iron mentality.

I’m loving our direction.

Bwuk

Bruno is outstanding.

If we had someone like a Carrick who could pass the ball forward from deep I think Bruno’s numbers would be even crazier.

Redfrog

Hence why Ole wanted Grealish.

A fantastic player who will not only play when Bruno plays but a player who can play instead of Bruno to bolster our creativity.

Grealish, Rashford, Martial, Bruno, Cavani, Pogba, Greenwood, Diallo.

We would have had some incredible options for this year at least.

Hopefull next year pogba leaves and we get Grealish, I really believe we will sign Haaland and the United machine will be back again.

Young, Hungry, talented, iron mentality.

I’m loving our direction.
I love our direction too. It is the first time you can see de are on the up and adding what we need. Futur seems bright. But above all I think we need one other real finisher. With Cavani, we can see how we missed it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Great idea, man. If he leads us to any big trophy (PL or CL), I'd do this also.

Real Name

He has had a Cantonaesque influence on the club. Of course you cant compare the 2 in the sense Cantona completely transformed the club (not alone of course) and paved the way for us to be a force again after a long time but more in the sense how Bruno coming completely transformed the club in this point of time.

Not only his gameplay which is brilliant and even on bad days he still contributes and solves games, whether its a goal, penalty or an assist but his approach and his demeanor since he came. He came to the club like he's been in the club and in the league for ages. Came in with an authority, he's already a captain material and didnt need time to adapt neither to the club or the league itself (famous not PL proven tripe).

We hear a lot about a famous United way and sometimes it can be a bit pathetic. But on the other hand Bruno the player and a person is what I expect from an United way if I ever saw one. He gives his all from the 1st to the 90th minute (plus stoppage time :D), loves playing for the badge and enjoys every minute of playing for Manchester United. Fergie would absolutely adore him, that's enough for me. :)

Reactions: roonster09

Member 113277

Cool.

I agree with your assessment, now the challenge is to get 3-4 others to a high standard. I really appreciated Donny van Beek's performance v Soton provided evidence of a very good player who needs a chance to grow into the role, Cavani looks as if he will have a role to play, if part time. Can others step up and deliver consistently? AWB is trying to attack more, e.g. his pass to Cavani for Bruno's goal, Telles looks promising on very limited showings, Martial and Rashford are obviously talented.

This team have shown the resilience to bounce back - it's not a fluke, they have done on several times. the next challenge is to turn this into consistency - not just runs of form, but habitual performance, that means grinding out draws or wins when off form (just like SAF teams did and Liverpool do nowadays). When this happens, we can start thinking about lifting the trophy.

Bruno is the best signing for a long time, in terms of a cost/impact ratio. That's not just in skills, thought they are impressive, but also in his leadership qualities and desire to succeed.

Volumiza

Not sure I'd agree, the only signing that has been outstanding so far is Bruno.
Aside from overpaying for Maguire (which I'm ok with as I think he's a fantastic player and ultimately we paid what was necessary to get him) I think we've spent very well under Ole. We've directly addressed some of our biggest problems and brought in players that all have the correct mentality. For me, there are no real failures. Ok, James hasn't been outstanding but for the money we paid, he can be useful when needed and Ighalo seemed to fizzle out very quickly but that's it. We've bought in a few young prospects also and Diallo by all accounts looked tasty last night.

During the last 18 months we've totally transformed the team / squad. Incomparable to the mess of the previous 5 years.

How do you see we could have done better?

romufc

Aside from overpaying for Maguire (which I'm ok with as I think he's a fantastic player and ultimately we paid what was necessary to get him) I think we've spent very well under Ole. We've directly addressed some of our biggest problems and brought in players that all have the correct mentality. For me, there are no real failures. Ok, James hasn't been outstanding but for the money we paid, he can be useful when needed and Ighalo seemed to fizzle out very quickly but that's it. We've bought in a few young prospects also and Diallo by all accounts looked tasty last night.

During the last 18 months we've totally transformed the team / squad. Incomparable to the mess of the previous 5 years.

How do you see we could have done better?
Alot of people are very good with hindsight, which is partly the problem. The window where we went for a CB, it was De Ligt or Maguire. De Ligt younger, higher ceiling went for £20m less but has wages of £280k a week compare to £200k a week for Maguire.

Looking back, could you make a case we should have done everything to sign De Ligt? Not really, he has been worse than Maguire, has a very hard to deal with agent. Maguire is here for Manutd not for a stepping stone which De Ligt would have used us for.

If we don't pay for the player, there is complaints, if we do pay for the player there is complaints? City didn't sign a CB and it costed them.

Manutd didn't over pay for Sancho, our RW is a big problem. I am glad we didn't over pay but we need to give some credit to the club as it seems they learnt from the Maguire deal.

Volumiza

Alot of people are very good with hindsight, which is partly the problem. The window where we went for a CB, it was De Ligt or Maguire. De Ligt younger, higher ceiling went for £20m less but has wages of £280k a week compare to £200k a week for Maguire.

Looking back, could you make a case we should have done everything to sign De Ligt? Not really, he has been worse than Maguire, has a very hard to deal with agent. Maguire is here for Manutd not for a stepping stone which De Ligt would have used us for.
I was a fan of the transfer for Maguire back then and still am. Looks like we did the right transfer anyway even though De Ligt looked a great purchase at the time and I agree, Maguire is here for Man Utd. That £80m will buy us pretty much the rest of his prime career.

Manutd didn't over pay for Sancho, our RW is a big problem. I am glad we didn't over pay but we need to give some credit to the club as it seems they learnt from the Maguire deal.
I am very glad we didn't spend that on Sancho, it was an insane amount of money and I've said elsewhere, I think it would have been bad for Greenwood to bring Sancho in. We've got a couple of youngsters in who can potentially play that position for a fraction of the cost. Hopefully they can break through.

James Peril

Our recruitment over the last 18 months has been fantastic.
I just don’t understand how it’s possible to come up with a statement like this when we’re lingering down the table since day 1 and barely scraped top 4 on the last day of the season - something we would never have accomplished without the covid-19 break. Without the signing of Bruno Fernandes and god knows how badly we would have done without him since, I would look back at the last 18 months with absolute horror in terms of recruitment.

Volumiza

I just don’t understand how it’s possible to come up with a statement like this when we’re lingering down the table since day 1 and barely scraped top 4 on the last day of the season - something we would never have accomplished without the covid-19 break. Without the signing of Bruno Fernandes and god knows how badly we would have done without him since, I would look back at the last 18 months with absolute horror in terms of recruitment.
So with the signing of AWB (incredible player), Maguire and Telles we've now got a really sorted defence and ensured Rojo and Jones were surplus to requirements. Smalling has gone and we're not relying on Bailly who will spend most of his time in the physio's office.
With the signing of Bruno and VdB we've massively upgraded our MF. Yes, Bruno has had the most iimpact but that doesn't matter and it also means we aren't relying on Pogba and his constant nonsense.
For the attack we've signed Cavani and James for very modest fees. One is a WC forward, the other cost peanuts and at least gives us an option when we need it. We've also got Diallo and Pellistri to come in and bolster it even more.

All of the above also seem to have amazing attitudes and seem unlikely to agitate for moves away. This team has the potential to be settled here for years to come.

The signings we've made have strengthened where we needed it, cut out some of the deadwood while not getting in the way of Greenwood, Martial and Rashford's development. I really don't see how much better it could have gone without spending feckloads of money on superstars.

Now explain to me how it's been a horror as you put it and tell me where any of our recent signings have been failures after a long list of expensive mistakes.

Steve Bruce

"something we would never have accomplished without the covid-19 break."

Considering our form was on the up before the Lockdown , I don't see how you can be so sure.

If anything the break nearly cost us because our team where out on their feet the last few games of the league season.

Verbalkint

I'd take Calhanoglu on a free to be honest . I think it's a good piece of business for a proper attacking player who can play on the right or centrally.

adamwest

Really hit the nail on the head with this signing. Outstanding player and I don't think i'd swap him for anyone in the world right now.

PoTMS

Our recruitment over the last 18 months has been fantastic.
Steady on. The jury is still out on James, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka, especially considering they cost £150m. I don't think anyone would class Wan-Bissaka as an incredible player. Great defender, maybe, but he would not start at any other big club.