Sir Alex, Pep and Jose

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
I think most would agree that these 3 managers have been the best mangers in the history of the Premier League. But which team ( The season ) for each of these managers would come out on top would Sir Alex treble winning team have the beating of Peps City, what would Jose's early 2000"s Chelsea teams do against the best teams Sir Alex and Pep have produced.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Pep is not in the top-3 for the Premier League. He's only won one title FFS. Where is Wenger?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Different times and styles. I reckon Mourinho's Chelsea would be the hardest to beat, and our 08 side better suited to play them or City than the 99 side.

I don't really think City are better than either tbh, what they have going for them is insane depth which is more relevant over the course of a season than in a head to head game.

And SAF is absolute miles ahead of either.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I think most would agree that these 3 managers have been the best mangers in the history of the Premier League. But which team ( The season ) for each of these managers would come out on top would Sir Alex treble winning team have the beating of Peps City, what would Jose's early 2000"s Chelsea teams do against the best teams Sir Alex and Pep have produced.
Sir Alex would break baldy over an entire season. He broke Mourinho in his prime ffs

Irwin99

I'm not one of Jose's biggest fans but I think his Chelsea 05 team would suffocate this City side and steal a win (and I think his Inter team would too). City could end up being regarded as the best side but we need to see what they do this season and possibly next.

The 08 team of United's is still the standard. Could very easily have won the Treble in 08 but for that game in the FA cup against Pompy, and the following season could have won the quadruple but for an incompetent referee in the FA cup semi final vs Everton and Barca's brilliance in the CL final.

I'm going for:
United 06-09
Chelsea 04-06
City 18-??

In that order.

Eddy_JukeZ

What are they competing in?

A league campaign?

A cup final?

A 2 legged knockout tie?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Do we have Howard Webb back?

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm not one of Jose's biggest fans but I think his Chelsea 05 team would suffocate this City side and steal a win (and I think his Inter team would too). City could end up being regarded as the best side but we need to see what they do this season and possibly next.

The 08 team of United's is still the standard. Could very easily have won the Treble in 08 but for that game in the FA cup against Pompy, and the following season could have won the quadruple but for an incompetent referee in the FA cup semi final vs Everton and even more incompetent referee in the scandal of Stamford Bridge.

I'm going for:
United 06-09
Chelsea 04-06
City 18-??

In that order.
Fixed

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
What are they competing in?

A league campaign?

A cup final?

A 2 legged knockout tie?
Yeah, this.

In a single match or a two legged knockout tie, for me its a close toss up between 07-08 United and 04-05 Chelsea.

Over the course of a season, you can't look past the last couple years City team, which is significantly deeper than either of the other two squads. The numbers are just impossible to deny: a +79 goal differential last year (more than 20 goals better than either 07-08 United or 04-05 Chelsea) and likely in the same territory this year, plus 100 points last year and probably mid-high 90s this year. Top to bottom the league also undoubtedly has more quality now than it did in 04-05 or 07-08 due to the explosion of revenues and its effect on the buying power of mid-to-lower table English clubs vis-a-vis foreign clubs. Its City in a walk over the course of a season. But in a single match or tie, I still see the other clubs edging them.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

The 08 team of United's is still the standard. Could very easily have won the Treble in 08 but for that game in the FA cup against Pompy, and the following season could have won the quadruple but for an incompetent referee in the FA cup semi final vs Everton and Barca's brilliance in the CL final.

I'm going for:
United 06-09
Chelsea 04-06
City 18-??

In that order.
08 United for sure top but ill tell you what those Jose sides would put up a dam near good fight they were fecking brilliant as well. But that United team had so much fecking star power.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Pep and jose are already ahead in the cl

Bar a major meltdown and retiring early pep would comfortably beat saf record by the time he retire sadly. One man team and constantly rebuilding etc is just romantism at the end of the day for neutral fans.

The Nani

Bar a major meltdown and retiring early pep would comfortably beat saf record by the time he retire sadly. One man team and constantly rebuilding etc is just romantism at the end of the day for neutral fans.
Pep will never be on a level with Fergie. He’s not taken on a job remotely as challenging as SAF did rebuilding United again and again and again. SAF took Liverpool down then Arsenal then Chelsea then City. The man was a stone cold conqueror. Romanticism my arse.

Give Sir Alec the budgets Pep has cherry-picked throughout his career and he’d have twice the honors. Pep has never faced the level of competition SAF did throughout his years in the Prem save Mourinho’s Madrid. And he cocked that one up with the whole Eto’o fiasco.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Pep will never be on a level with Fergie. He’s not taken on a job remotely as challenging as SAF did rebuilding United again and again and again. SAF took Liverpool down then Arsenal then Chelsea then City. The man was a stone cold conqueror. Romanticism my arse.

Give Sir Alec the budgets Pep has cherry-picked throughout his career and he’d have twice the honors. Pep has never faced the level of competition SAF did throughout his years in the Prem save Mourinho’s Madrid. And he cocked that one up with the whole Eto’o fiasco.
Romantism for united fans.

You can argue otherwise : saf has no competition in the 90s, united are the rich bullies in the league, saf never had to built a new team, continuing a dynasty where everything is built to your vision is easier compared to jumping in to a new club and winning every 3 years, pep actually has fiercer competition due to sugar daddies club, etc

gajender

Did I miss something When Did Pep or Mourinho won their 3rd CL title to get ahead of Sir Alex it's been a long wait for either of them to be even in Champions league final ,there is no Guarantee they would surpass Sir Alex record in Cl for all the plaudits Guardiola gets and I respect him as a coach greatly but if things go wrong this season and leading him to leave City though highly unlikely would his tenure be considered any better than Mourinho's stint in Madrid.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Chelsea shouldn't even be in the discussion really.

Sauldogba

Hard to say.
The thing with Fergie is he wouldnt even always need to beat you on the pitch.
He done a lot of it off the pitch psychologically via mind games.
People are under estimating how much of a difference that makes.
All in all there is not much between the 3 but for now i would go with Fergie.
In a few years time Pep could overtake him though.
Anyway i would pick our 98/99 team

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
When these hypothical arguments come out people instantly think head to heads, to look at the picture of a league challenge the question should be who will sweep up against the rest of the league the best, and as much as it pains me to say it would probably be City.

If in a hypothetical world the three teams collided in the same era Chelsea and United would run them close but City's depth and mental flattrack record would see them through.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Chelsea shouldn't even be in the discussion really.
The Chelsea of 2004/2006? Absolutely. You might not like the investment they had, or even who managed them, but they were a great team. Not comparing them with current City.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think you meant most would agree that Sir Alex, Mourinho and Arsene Wenger are the 3 best managers in the history of the premier league. Must have been a typo. No sane person would include a guy who has only won 1 EPL title and call him one of the 3 best of all time. Would they???

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

You can argue otherwise : saf has no competition in the 90s, united are the rich bullies in the league, saf never had to built a new team, continuing a dynasty where everything is built to your vision is easier compared to jumping in to a new club and winning every 3 years, pep actually has fiercer competition due to sugar daddies club, etc
Are you serious? "SAF never had to build a new team"? WTF? So you are trying to tell us that SAF was the manager for as long as he was and never built a new team? Now I've heard everything. And no competition in the 90's? Are you serious???

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The Chelsea of 2004/2006? Absolutely. You might not like the investment they had, or even who managed them, but they were a great team. Not comparing them with current City.
If Wenger and Invincibles arent listed then neither should that Chelsea side for the exact same reason - lack of CL success.

If we are only talking PL league games only then Wenger should be in the equation.

Klopp this year could surpass both of them imo

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If Wenger and Invincibles arent listed then neither should that Chelsea side for the exact same reason - lack of CL success.

If we are only talking PL league games only then Wenger should be in the equation.

Klopp this year could surpass both of them imo
I forgot to mention that. Sorry, too many posts. Absolutely Wenger 2002 to 2004. Must say the 98 team didn't impressed me as much but memory is everything and perceptions of that time might not be right.

Already said for me the top Mourinho was between 2002/2010. After that maybe Madrid 2012, his last Chelsea who won in 2015 wasn't great imo, even with good players.

And with this I am not saying that Chelsea was better than this current City, even if it is debatable to compare the football played on 2004/05 and now.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

No they're not. Pep has actually been distinctly average in the CL and what Ferguson achieved at Aberdeen goes seriously underrated.

He's also had the pleasure of winning the Bundesliga with a far superior Bayern outfit to any of his competition and was distinctly average in the CL.

Last edited:

The Nani

This post is pure tripe. I don’t even know where to begin.

But just so I don’t look like I’m not putting any effort in, Pep has fiercier competition due to managing THE sugar daddy club?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wtf is Pep done to be named inline with Sir Alex and Mourinho, and even above Wenger as a matter of fact? 1 league title and some cups? The disrespect Wenger gets is amazing, people tend to forget how amazing his Arsenal team was in the late 90's and early 00's.

ErranMorad

Pep? Really?

I think it's impossible to compare teams from different eras. Also, one thing we got to realize is that when Jose came and took the PL by the storm, Sir Alex waited patiently and developed a team that eventually upended them. There is nothing to suggest that Sir Alex wouldn't have been able to do the same now to take on Pep.

baskinginthesun

No they're not. Pep has actually been distinctly average in the CL and what Ferguson achieved at Aberdeen goes seriously underrated.

He's also had the pleasure of winning the Bundesliga with far superior Bayern outfits.
This often gets forgotten. He really made a dent in the 80's to the Old Firm's domination. Incredible really.

Jomini Da Tactician

I stopped reading once you mentioned Sir Alex never had to build a team. Out of all the drivel I have read on this sub, this takes the cake. The man who took the helm at United after the club had gone 26 years without winning the league, won his first title after 7 years, and built four great teams which competed with the sugar daddies of Chelsea and City, could 'never build a new team?' I am convinced you're a WUM. You have shown no knowledge of history, an ignorance of basic facts, and a complete disregard for a man who has won 38 trophies across the board. Jesus.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I stopped reading once you mentioned Sir Alex never had to build a team. Out of all the drivel I have read on this sub, this takes the cake. The man who took the helm at United after the club had gone 26 years without winning the league, won his first title after 7 years, and built four great teams which competed with the sugar daddies of Chelsea and City, could 'never build a new team?' I am convinced you're a WUM. You have shown no knowledge of history, an ignorance of basic facts, and a complete disregard for a man who has won 38 trophies across the board. Jesus.
Calm your tits out FFS

Jose took over Chelsea who never won in so many years to his first title, Pep built the great Barcelona team and City (as much as I hate to admit this city team would go on to win a couple more titles if he stays), and yes He never had to completely start from scratch (aka taking over a team of mismatch), it's easier to constantly rebuild the team you have managed for 20+ year. And we had no meaningful competition in the early EPL era bar Arsenal we dominated.

I've been here since 2006, you been here since 2018 with 38 post and you call me a WUM? no knowledge of History and facts? Completely disregard the only manager of my club for half my life and all my footballing year? Calm your tits with the personal insult.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

He's also had the pleasure of winning the Bundesliga with a far superior Bayern outfit to any of his competition and was distinctly average in the CL.
Probably not ahead perse, but the thing is Ferguson is retired while Pep and Jose are still managing and still relatively young. It's like having 10 years of season on hand. At best CL trophy wise they'll be on equal level. At this moment it's still Pep / Jose advantage in terms of CL.

Pep managed what was it? 2 Titles with Bayern? Hardly the majority of his career. You can downplay his achivement if he won 8 with Bayern. But I don't like the excuses of being an easy run, a title is a title. SAF had his own share of period where United dominate the playing field in England. Jose has his moment where he won the title with Inter, Pep with Barcelona. We shouldn't just discredit everything.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

It’s fairly easy to rebuild a team when the owner gives you a billion pounds to spend as you please.

Last edited:

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
It's to our credit. But having the CO92 certainly helps rebuilding.

Pep didn't need to spend much at Barcelona with their Xavi/Inniesta/Busquet/Messi
Yeah just around 330 million in 4 years at Barca and this was before Market went crazy.

2008-09: 100 million
2009-10: 113 million
2010-11: 72 million.
2011-12:60 million.

Cat1989

Supports
Arsenal
Where’s Wenger? In my opinion its Fergie, Wenger, Jose, Pep. Though in a couple of seasons that can/will change. Also if you’re putting Chelsea 2004/06 in then you need to add Arsenal 2002/04 in too

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's to our credit. But having the CO92 certainly helps rebuilding.

Pep didn't need to spend much at Barcelona with their Xavi/Inniesta/Busquet/Messi
He spent over 85mil in his first season. Despite having quite possibly the best midfield in the history of the game in the academy, he also had perhaps the best footballer, too.

In his first 5 seasons we spent less than Liverpool and the same as Spurs. We actually had a negative net spent between 92-98.

Last edited: