Sir Alex takes Uefa role

weRutd&werule

soft as shite, demoted and now BANNED
From uefa.com

Manchester United FC manager Sir Alex Ferguson is helping UEFA nurture the coaching world by heading the new UEFA Coaches Circle.

Maintaining contact
In February, UEFA's Executive Committee approved the setting up of this élite group to assist in the development of coaches in Europe. The Coaches' Circle is designed to play an important role in maintaining contact and providing information for this crack group of coaches between events organised by UEFA, which is also establishing a dedicated extranet to the project .

Important for UEFA
"I think UEFA see it as important and that's the first step," the Scotsman told uefa.com at the recent Elite Coaches' Forum in Nyon, Switzerland. "By recognising the [forum], they' are also recognising the role of the coach, and through that, they are looking for meaningful developments within the coaches vision of the game - whether it's the technical area, the matches or whether it's the refereeing standard or the number of substitutes on the bench.

Ideas fund
"I think the input from the coaches is very positive over the years that I have been involved and I think that, in fairness to UEFA, they have tried hard to implement a lot of the ideas that we have given them."

Major changes
Sir Alex also spoke of the major changes that he has seen in coaching over the last 30 years. "The main changes in coaching have come in terms of the preparation with the aid of sport science in particular," he said. "When I started coaching at Aberdeen [FC] for instance, which was a big Scottish club really, I had one physiotherapist, one assistant coach and one reserve coach and that was all. And when I went to Manchester I had eight staff including scouting, a physiotherapist, a doctor and coaches. Now I have 36 staff including podiatricians, optometrists, weight trainers, nutritionists, fitness coaches and also the coaches. So, therefore, you can see the advancement in the game through the number of staffing and the type of staffing in particular in sport science."

Former players
Many players who Sir Alex has coached are now beginning to have a major impact on the coaching scene in the UK - Alex McLeish and Gordon Strachan are in charge of Rangers FC and Celtic FC respectively in Scotland. In the Premiership, a former assistant, Steve McClaren, is in charge at Middlesbrough FC, Steve Bruce coaches Birmingham FC, and Mark Hughes is at the helm for Blackburn Rovers FC.

Very fortunate
"I think as a coach, you hope you have an influence not just in the coaching sense, but an influence in how they live their life and what they become,” Sir Alex said. “And I have been very fortunate as most of the players I have had have been very proud of how they have developed themselves as people, as persons, and I think that's refreshing. And a lot of them never changed which is really more refreshing.

Keeping in touch
"A lot of my former players have gone into coaching and they keep in touch with me," he added. "You know, they ask me things and I am delighted to do that because I feel that it's the next stage.

Different world
"What you gave them as a footballer is different to what you can give them as a coach because it is a different world, and I always try to help them as much as they can in that respect because it's a very difficult job nowadays."

-----------------------------------------

glad to see fergie is at the head of new uefa developments