Sky Sports: Manchester United must be patient in transitional period, says Gary Neville

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Jimmy_Bond

Neville is spot on here, but this thread is going to end up full of toxic vitriol aimed towards him.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
And there we go, waiting for the 19292992 people on forum to bash him saying the truth. Dim it down lads, it's 3 games into a season with one of the youngest squads out there..

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Neville is spot on here, but this thread is going to end up full of toxic vitriol aimed towards him.
And deservedly so. Nothing more annoying than hypocrisy.

I'm also an advocate for patience and continuity, especially after going through several managers already. Although i just can't take Neville talk about patience seriously when he's always been quick to stick the knives in to foreign players.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Feel like you've been "in a transition period" since Moyes left.

Godfather

What a brilliant mind he is. We have been in a transitional period for more than 5 years now.

Dolf

Exactly, 9/10 times we win that game against CP. We’re doing alright. Just keep going

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yes. But i believe the strategy to overcome that was just to get the best out there and hope. There was no coherent strategy in the market.

Looks like it is not the case this time but chances of success are looking bleak.

Jimmy_Bond

Although i just can't take Neville talk about patience seriously when he's always been quick to stick the knives in to foreign players.
Also very quick to say they're our best player and will potentially win player of the year for the league.

Change the record. Such a lazy and unfounded argument.

Crashoutcassius

I agree that we have moved to a totally new strategy the last few months. We seem to be pushing out huge numbers of players and could see our squad turn over 50 or 60% in the next 2 summer windows. Have to just keep making sure we are bringing in quality

Treble

Patience may be a double-edged sword.

If you are patient with a top top manager like Fergie you end up with 13 titles over 20 years. If you are patient with a mediocre manager like Souness, you end up with empty hands for 30 years.

izec

Ole will get this season. Being patient for a while is fine. Being patient for years not if there arent improvements. Lets see how it evolves

Bestie07

The disdain that Gary Neville shows towards certain Manchester United players has really soured me towards him. Amazingly he never has any bad words to say against the English lads. I support Manchester United, not England.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Neville has a point, when you are building the team you will have these results. We just have to hope these are rare and not something that happens regularly.

We should have done more in the transfer market, at least one more CM and RW.

dove

What else do you expect from someone who still can't get over the fact that Moyes was sacked after finishing 7th. But apparently he deserved more time as well and if only we gave him more time we would have been winning stuff right left and centre.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Neville asks for patience but for some reason he expects more from big blockbuster record breaking signings. What a hypocrite.

Nanotron

Neville gets paid for this. Wish he would just shut up about Utd now, regardless of being right or wrong. He has become rather pointless as a pundit.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why is there a new thread every time this hypocrite opens his mouth? Stop giving the moron attention.

AlwaysRed66

I agree with what he is saying, & at least we are going the right way compared to the three previous d*cks styles of play. The only problem is that the players I expect wont be good enough, & more concerning neither is the manager, who seems clueless on occasion.

JohnnyLaw

What a brilliant mind he is. We have been in a transitional period for more than 5 years now.
That’s neither his nor Ole’s fault though. The fact that we’re still in a transitional period IMO is because we’ve chopped and changed as often and as drastically as we have over the last few years, so he’s not wrong. We need stability one way or another.

Kemizee

I have a question for Gary. How do you define transition, what is the scope transition is supposed to cover and for how long should it last ?

JohnnyKills

This is the problem. I understand what Neville is saying but we've had this mess since 2013 and it's just not realistic to expect a fanbase of United's size to be patient indefinitely.

At Barcelona this summer they had a demonstration because the club was planning to sign Neymar, one of the most high-profile players in the world, having just won the championship and reached the semi-finals of the CL. That's a fairly extreme example but it shows how demanding other top clubs are. You can bet Bayern, Juve, Real would be equally intolerant of the sort of mediocrity United have served up over the past six years.

I personally think Solskjaer is doing the right things and we should accept this is a season of rebuilding, getting rid of expensive squad players and promoting talented kids. But many others will see it differently and, having paid through the nose to watch rubbish for the past six years, they've every right to really.

Greck

All we needed was a few British players and the guy who was frothing at the mouth on TV just a few months ago is all of a sudden satisfied with the club.

Don't necessarily disagree with what he's saying right now but he's beyond the point of trying to reach out to fans as the voice of reason

Dante

Average bang

I'm also an advocate for patience and continuity, especially after going through several managers already. Although i just can't take Neville talk about patience seriously when he's always been quick to stick the knives in to foreign players.
:lol:
You've managed to become a hypocrite in the space of a single post.

AaronRedDevil

Sadly fans don't have any patience anymore, sell Rashford, sell de Gea, sell anybody who hasn't performed well in a month. Also be naive to think kids can be a big improvement and will do well in the Premier League, the toughest league in the world. But too much patience is also bad. Regardless of the loses, I feel we are moving forward to a better direction. Ole is probably the only manager who gets what united need to do. Sacking him will be a very bad idea and set us back to square one again.

I just know that if ole doesn't get top 4. Then anything is going to be pointless in the future. It didn't matter who manages Chelsea or city, they were always going to win either way by the players they have. United a barebones right now, deadwood is almost gone. No manger on earth can make their united team play like city or Liverpool, one injury and the game plan is out the window. Next 2 windows are needing some serious reinforcements.

Slysi17

Sorry my patience will wear thin if we keep buying British players from the English leagues only. Nothing wrong with buying British if there good but it seriously shouldn't be our only avenue of signing players. Need to cast our net wider and scout various global leagues to sign players. Our current strategy is annoying and predict will still be mid table in 3 years if we keep doing it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

If you're referring to Pogba I think he's based his view over a period of 3 years being here. Martial he seems to rate but says he needs to start performing at 24. Sanchez he's based from over a year with us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is the problem. I understand what Neville is saying but we've had this mess since 2013 and it's just not realistic to expect a fanbase of United's size to be patient indefinitely.

At Barcelona this summer they had a demonstration because the club was planning to sign Neymar, one of the most high-profile players in the world, having just won the championship and reached the semi-finals of the CL. That's a fairly extreme example but it shows how demanding other top clubs are. You can bet Bayern, Juve, Real would be equally intolerant of the sort of mediocrity United have served up over the past six years.

I personally think Solskjaer is doing the right things and we should accept this is a season of rebuilding, getting rid of expensive squad players and promoting talented kids. But many others will see it differently and, having paid through the nose to watch rubbish for the past six years, they've every right to really.
Thing is, there is a culture shift in playing style, mentality and even transfer policy. This will take time regardless of how many times we have started again.

What neville is saying is, it doesn't really matter who you bring in, there's no quick fix so you have to see the course through and judge Ole later down the road rather than getting worried from now.

TRUERED89

Where do you draw the line with patience? We're approaching 7 years of the post SAF era. But, if Ole gets sacked, then a new style/philosophy starts all over again! Then we're right back to square 1.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah. We are also seemingly the only team that need such a lengthy transition period. Chelsea were hiring and firing managers every 18months and still in contention pretty much every season (not to mention winning the title and other trophies). So it's not simply a case of transition - it's partially that and partially the fact that we've accrued a very mediocre set of players that we've expected to carry us through this transition period.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Completely over simplifying it here. You do know we have had 3 managers in between Fergie and Ole.

I am confident we are on the right path here and football is about fine margins. Put them two penalties away and we are sat on nine points. Take Rashford off free kicks and you have more shots on target and potentially more goals. Yes Ole was a little Naive in his approach to the Palace game, play it slow, keep possession to move them out of position and then hit them on the break. It will work more times than it wont against a defensive team like Palace. They got their result with cowardly football, they will be happy with it

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There's truth to what he's saying, but I'd be more receptive to such warnings from him if he showed more patience in his punditry. Neville's made his name by jumping in two-footed (so to speak) in his criticisms of certain players and situations before he's considered all the facts, so it doesn't sit so well when he's then calling on United fans to be patient.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I haven't clicked on the link but I share the sentiment. Our weaknesses are obvious and on paper easily fixable, if Ole sticks to the 4231, which he should, then we need to find a proper 10, a midfield destroyer and a creative winger. I'm sure that some will roll their eyes because it has a whiff of déjà vu but the difference between now and the last three years is that the roles that we are missing are clear due to the fact that our approach is clear.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Neville is a cretin, anyone watching this game would have seen Utd got done by the referee. If the other team are allowed to kick you off the pitch and given carte blanche to stop Martial going through 1 v 1 without getting a red card (x2) / giving a way a penalty you aint going to win most of the time.

Simple as that.

Just so happy I don't have to watch him on TV.

GlasgowCeltic

Completely over simplifying it here. You do know we have had 3 managers in between Fergie and Ole.

I am confident we are on the right path here and football is about fine margins. Put them two penalties away and we are sat on nine points. Take Rashford off free kicks and you have more shots on target and potentially more goals. Yes Ole was a little Naive in his approach to the Palace game, play it slow, keep possession to move them out of position and then hit them on the break. It will work more times than it wont against a defensive team like Palace. They got their result with cowardly football, they will be happy with it
More cowardly than looking to play on the break at home to inferior opposition?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I haven't clicked on the link but I share the sentiment. Our weaknesses are obvious and on paper easily fixable, if Ole sticks to the 4231, which he should, then we need to find a proper 10, a midfield destroyer and a creative winger. I'm sure that some will roll their eyes because it has a whiff of déjà vu but the difference between now and the last three years is that the roles that we are missing are clear due to the fact that our approach is clear.
Yeah, but if we play 4-2-3-1 it's better to move Pogba to attacking mid position so that we can be defensively good with someone like Fred or other midfielder.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah, but if we play 4-2-3-1 it's better to move Pogba to attacking mid position so that we can be defensively good with someone like Fred or other midfielder.
No, Pogba is better deeper. If we don't like what he does there then we should sell him.

dev1l

Not sure about moving Pogba to 10. (at 10 downing Street most probably would be better than the incumbent :)).
One of the strengths of his game is his vision and long passes. At 10 he ll have less space for those