Sky Sports: Manchester United must be patient in transitional period, says Gary Neville

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, Pogba is better deeper. If we don't like what he does there then we should sell him.
If he plays in 4-3-3, with more license to bomb forward. In 4-2-3-1 I think he has too much defensive responsibility which is his weak point.

Un4givableB

Neville is such an establishment flunky who knows want side his bread is buttered with if he had any balls he would be calling out Woodward.

sparx99

Yeah. We are also seemingly the only team that need such a lengthy transition period. Chelsea were hiring and firing managers every 18months and still in contention pretty much every season (not to mention winning the title and other trophies). So it's not simply a case of transition - it's partially that and partially the fact that we've accrued a very mediocre set of players that we've expected to carry us through this transition period.
Chelsea were doing so with a core of a great team. If Fergie retired in 2003 then I guarantee the next 1-2 managers would have won trophies with ferdinand, beckham, Scholes, giggs, Van nisterooy etc.

People forget just how much Moyes fecked us up. He sacked all the coaching team on top of fergie and gill leaving and within his year of being there we then lost Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, RVP. The core of our culture was destroyed.

ArjenIsM3

Thing is, there is a culture shift in playing style, mentality and even transfer policy. This will take time regardless of how many times we have started again.

What neville is saying is, it doesn't really matter who you bring in, there's no quick fix so you have to see the course through and judge Ole later down the road rather than getting worried from now.
Agreed.

No, Pogba is better deeper. If we don't like what he does there then we should sell him.
Not in our setup he isn't. When played in a double pivot he needs a true DM next to him. McTominay is not. Neither is Fred. Matic doesn't have the legs. I think we'd be better off moving him further up the pitch and pairing either Fred or Matic with McTominay.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure about moving Pogba to 10. (at 10 downing Street most probably would be better than the incumbent :)).
One of the strengths of his game is his vision and long passes. At 10 he ll have less space for those
I agree with the point, when I say 10, it's not like second striker. More like a 3rd midfielder in 4-3-3 who doesn't have much defensive responsibility but can bomb forward. To put it simple, like the role he played when Ole took over.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Alright and We ask you not to overreact and cause dramas around the club.

Thank you very much.

TRUERED89

Agreed.

Not in our setup he isn't. When played in a double pivot he needs a true DM next to him. McTominay is not. Neither is Fred. Matic doesn't have the legs. I think we'd be better off moving him further up the pitch and pairing either Fred or Matic with McTominay.
Yes, I'd like to see that too.

JohnnyKills

Thing is, there is a culture shift in playing style, mentality and even transfer policy. This will take time regardless of how many times we have started again.

What neville is saying is, it doesn't really matter who you bring in, there's no quick fix so you have to see the course through and judge Ole later down the road rather than getting worried from now.
No, I get that, you're right. It does feel like we've taken several steps in the right direction this summer.

The problem is that many fans don't see Solskjaer as a manager for the long-term. It's great that he's restoring some of the core United values - but, after that, what's the plan?

He's already done a great job in getting rid of Lukaku and Fellaini, who didn't really suit United, and if he manages to get rid of Sanchez we'll have had a good summer clear-out. He's also given the likes of Greenwood and Gomes a foothold in the first-team squad, and that's brilliant to see.

But now all that essential work is done, what's the next stage? Do we think Solskjaer can take us forward and challenge for the title, or has he already fulfilled his mission as manager?

No matter how great a player he was, it's hard to argue that he's a massive gamble as manager and his time in charge so far doesn't fill you with confidence.

hocane

With top managers like Klopp and Guardiola i would 100 % agree with him.
But with an inexperienced and in my opinion incompitent coach like Ole i don't agree, it's a massive risk.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
More cowardly than looking to play on the break at home to inferior opposition?
So you have pacy forwards with no space in behind to run into or exploit, what do you say to them keep running at them just for the sake of it. I'm not a big advocate of going back to the days of Moyes when he lauded 50+ crosses in a game. Palace capitalised from two mistakes. Again

Point some fans make about how long is it fair to be patient around the transition I get and I agree with. BUT if you want to sort this mess out then get the right foundation in place. That foundation has not been here since Fergie. Maybe the club has accepted that completely ripping up the old way of spending on big-name has-beens is not the future. Get the right coaching staff in, the right environment and bring us upto at least on par with City, Liverpool, etc with player analytics, fitness, match prep, the environment at the club. All of which was lacking under Jose and Moyes and you could see that with the down tools mentality.

Good players become better players in the right environment.

So yeah, we are in transition, fans don't want to hear it, get over it, there will be darker days to come. We have tried big spending on Falcao, ADM, Shweinstieger, Lukaku, Rojo, Shaw, Depay, Schneiderlin. Failed miserably and the short termism is exactly what has got the club in the mess that it is. Fans want us to ship out 6-8 players and bring in 6-8 and all will be ok. Lunacy, utter lunacy.

My opinion is that it will get better and under Jose we had pretty much hit the bottom.

Zen86

No, I get that, you're right. It does feel like we've taken several steps in the right direction this summer.

The problem is that many fans don't see Solskjaer as a manager for the long-term. It's great that he's restoring some of the core United values - but, after that, what's the plan?

He's already done a great job in getting rid of Lukaku and Fellaini, who didn't really suit United, and if he manages to get rid of Sanchez we'll have had a good summer clear-out. He's also given the likes of Greenwood and Gomes a foothold in the first-team squad, and that's brilliant to see.

But now all that essential work is done, what's the next stage? Do we think Solskjaer can take us forward and challenge for the title, or has he already fulfilled his mission as manager?

No matter how great a player he was, it's hard to argue that he's a massive gamble as manager and his time in charge so far doesn't fill you with confidence.
There’s still a lot more to be done before we’re effectively challenging for the title. Ole should get a fair crack, and if he fails, a new manager will hopefully at least have a strong platform to build on.

Hoof the ball

When you talk about transitional periods then it has to be defined within the duration of a single manager’s tenure. It’s no good to talk of transition as one long process between the appointment of Moyes and the present moment with Ole, since, every firing and subsequent appointment resets a transitional period in terms of footballing approach, squad profile, tactical development and transfer emphasis. For any real transition to take place, yes, a determinable amount of time must be afforded to one manager over a period of time.

Tel074

Neville asks for patience but for some reason he expects more from big blockbuster record breaking signings. What a hypocrite.
And you don't expect more than record signings ? He asking for patience for Ole to allow him to have the players playing in his system which he is right about because it's completely different to the past few managers . On our record signings surely anyone would want them doing more ? Hypocrite seems to be the fashionable word on here these days

Josh 76

All the fans need to accept that Utd are a top 10 club now.
We have a manager that no one else in the premier league would take.
We have a midfield that none of the top half of the premier league would take.
If all fans come to terms with the reality, then things can only get better.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Spot on again, many just can't accept where we are and expect success immediately however unrealistic it is.

LiquidSnake

I haven't clicked on the link but I share the sentiment. Our weaknesses are obvious and on paper easily fixable, if Ole sticks to the 4231, which he should, then we need to find a proper 10, a midfield destroyer and a creative winger. I'm sure that some will roll their eyes because it has a whiff of déjà vu but the difference between now and the last three years is that the roles that we are missing are clear due to the fact that our approach is clear.
Now how come, you enter a season with everybody knowing 3 main positions you're short of.

It's not like you're 6 months into the season and some players failed. It's 3 games in and I think the majority will agree with your analysis (hence if it's ride or die with the 4231). So you can understand my interrogation on how come United can enter the season in this state.

Honestly, patience is good and important but also a great excuse for mediocrity. For example, I'm still baffled Maguire was recruited for more than last year when the manager were clearly interested in him (and for less money). Maguire has been an upgrade but this has nothing to do with patience.

Patience is good when you have good/competent people in charge, Manchester United never showed it was the case for the past 6 years. When I see Giuseppe Marotta going to Inter in December, and the impact he had just this summer, I can understand Inter fans saying the should have patience to compete against Juventus, if this doesn't work out this year. MU as a club or any person in this club as of now, didn't show anything those past years that would make say a supporter : "Patience, we got this". Maybe OGS who has been there for 8 months now but it's not like he had an amazing resumé to begin with.

TLDR; Basically I agree with you it's just that I'm pretty sure they will feck it up :lol::lol:

PS : Playing the devil advocate, the approach was really clear with Van Gaal (not saying his one was the good one... same for OGS actually).

PS2 : Also I'm on board with people taking Neville talks with a huge grain of salt.

Champagne Football

Nothing wrong at all with what he said. He speaks with his heart and gets it right most of the time. The football we played against Chelsea and Wolves was very enjoyable.

We are a work in progress with currently Celtic level players trying to partner Scott and Pogba in midfield. In January we will probably go for McGinn or Longstaff.

In the summer if there's no top 4 we can forget about Jadon Sancho, but maybe land Richarlison instead or Chong might emerge.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which comes back to the post that started that conversation.

I haven't clicked on the link but I share the sentiment. Our weaknesses are obvious and on paper easily fixable, if Ole sticks to the 4231, which he should, then we need to find a proper 10, a midfield destroyer and a creative winger. I'm sure that some will roll their eyes because it has a whiff of déjà vu but the difference between now and the last three years is that the roles that we are missing are clear due to the fact that our approach is clear.
Putting Pogba in a position where he isn't really good isn't a solution, we could switch back to a 433 like @roonster09 suggested but that puts a lot more pressure on the front three in terms of outputs and is a different approach.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
If you're referring to Pogba I think he's based his view over a period of 3 years being here. Martial he seems to rate but says he needs to start performing at 24. Sanchez he's based from over a year with us.
I'm referring to all foreign players he couldn't wait to stick a knife in starting with DeGea. Even SAF had to tell him to do one back then.

The disdain that Gary Neville shows towards certain Manchester United players has really soured me towards him. Amazingly he never has any bad words to say against the English lads. I support Manchester United, not England.
I'm in the same boat. Nothing i dislike more than hypocrites, especially blatant ones and Gary is one of the biggest ones. He's sitting out there preaching about patience when his hypocritical self can't wait for any foreign player to put a foot wrong so he can label them disgraceful, embarrassing, selfish and all those other buzz words they love using in their studios.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’m 100% going to back Solksjaer but we aren’t in a transition period. We have just fallen off our perch. It was always going to take us a while to get back to where we were under Fergie.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Alright and We ask you not to overreact and cause dramas around the club.

Thank you very much.
This.

Stop tweeting like a 14 year old kid, Gaz. I loved you as a player and it's a shame to see you being all reactive nowadays.

Jack Burke

Although the last two games have not gone to plan, I feel our performances overall against Wolves and Palace have been more positive then nearly majority of the games last year. We dominated them for the best part of 60/70 minutes but lacked to produce an end product. Every game played in the premier league a team like Crystal Palace are going to have a purple patch when they get on top, this is not just against us but against City and Liverpool as well. Its about weathering that 10/15 minute spell which we done badly against palace and wolves but outside of that we where largely the better team.

Last year we failed to dominate teams, have the majority of possession, create actual goal scoring chances actually it was the opposite I can remember numerous games where the so called "Weaker" teams played us of the park (Newcastle, Palace, Cardiff). I think its fair to say in the first 3 games this year we have been the better side in every game with results not reflecting that (bar chelsea).

One transfer window is not going to solve our problems so us as fans have to come to that realization, Ole I think is the man to lead the change but he has to be given time.

Reactions: Invictus

edgecutter

It's all well and good Neville stating that we need to have patience, but the issues at the club are there for all to see. The board have allowed the team to become weaker and we still haven't moved Woodward away from transfer duties.

How Neville can look at our transfer window and see progress at the club is beyond me.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Feel like you've been "in a transition period" since Moyes left.
Correct, which is why I have no patience, now.
With the value of the squad and the spending, we should have enough fire power to beat CP.
Wolves are a bogey team, so a draw is a fair result.
It will be interesting to see how we do under Southampton.

And for those saying that we are only 3 games in: we have been performing like a relegation team sing the PSG game last season. The "3 games in" excuse doesn't wash with me.

Our club is failing from top to bottom and the sad thing is that I knew that this was on the cards going into the Summer. Many people said that after a pre-season, our fitness will be high, however the results are exactly the same which we saw after the PSG match, last season. The only difference is that we have a better CB and RB - which are positions most fans had identified as weaknesses.

There are fans on here who have such low standards that losing to CP at OT, for the first time in many years, is now deemed as acceptable.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That's true. I'm not confident we are really in transitional period though considering how many deadwood players we have kept, and the fact that I'm not 100% confident our young players are really going to get a proper chance from what I have seen. We are basically going for the most experienced player for all positions. I would literally prefer to finish 8th but see integration of young players like Gomes, Garner, Chong, Williams, Tuanzebe etc. into the team, to at least give them a shot, rather than finish 5th while giving significant minutes to Jones, Mata, Matic etc.

Denis' cuff

Sick of hearing this rent-a-gob.

Sell the naming rights for 80m p/a? Where does this genius think that little windfall will go? Nearly 150 years of tradition. Manchester United, we are talking about. Proceeds straight into the pockets of these fecking leeches from Florida. feck off Neville. Supporter my arse. The only thing he supports is his bank account.

Alexit

Feel like you've been "in a transition period" since Moyes left.
My thoughts exactly. When did this "transition period" begin? Does it stretch back to Moyes, LVG, and Jose; or has it "officially" now started with Ole?

I really don't care about "transition" anymore. I just want to know, for starters, when will we fix the obvious and gaping hole in our midfield. That's what I want to know.

Smores

Saying fans should be patient is one of those rather meaningless but agreeable statements. No one's going to counter argue with no we should always be impatient gary!!

Our players should know the system by now we've had enough time for that and it really only is press off the ball. The aspects you can say demand further patience is with our youngsters and that it'll take a couple of seasons to renew the team. There's a long list of things that are close to no longer deserving additional patience if we're being honest.

JohnnyKills

There’s still a lot more to be done before we’re effectively challenging for the title. Ole should get a fair crack, and if he fails, a new manager will hopefully at least have a strong platform to build on.
What's a fair crack though? Bear in mind that he's a complete rookie and was appointed on the basis of a very small number of results.

Personally I'd give him the season to impose his style, weed out the players who don't fit and integrate the Academy products.

If we finish top four, we should give him another year - that to me is our target this year. If we don't, then we should ask ourselves in May if we've improved during the season. Are we developing a playing style that's capable of dominating games, or are we simply a rapid counter-attacking team with no plan B? How are we faring against the other big clubs? Are the fans enjoying the football?

If the answers to these questions are yes, we should give Solskjaer more time. But if not, we should release him and look at alternatives such as Pochettino or Ten Haag.

ArjenIsM3

Which comes back to the post that started that conversation.

Putting Pogba in a position where he isn't really good isn't a solution, we could switch back to a 433 like @roonster09 suggested but that puts a lot more pressure on the front three in terms of outputs and is a different approach.
Yes, but persisting with Pogba in a double pivot without the right partner is asking for trouble. That's why I'm saying we should move him further up the pitch and partner McT with Fred/Matic. It's not about us not liking what we're seeing from Pogba in that role, it's that we don't have a suitable partner for him at the moment. Switching to 4-3-3 is an option yeah. That formation would fit our current squad better. You say it puts a lot more pressure on the front three but does it really? It's not as if our current number 10 is contributing anything so they're having to do everything by themselves already.

SaintMuppet

God I’m sick of hearing about Gary fecking Neville and what he thinks...

Seems to me he is trying to remain ‘current’

::sonny::

Need at least some year, and some signing and selling

In: Maddison, Sancho, a CM, a LB
Out: Pogba, De Gea, Lingard

Etc

The only one thing sure at this moment is that the squad now is not good enough for the top 10 in EPL

The route is right, no mercenaries, young and english players, buy it will need years, a lot of year at least 3 or 4 minimum

Godfather

That’s neither his nor Ole’s fault though. The fact that we’re still in a transitional period IMO is because we’ve chopped and changed as often and as drastically as we have over the last few years, so he’s not wrong. We need stability one way or another.
We need success. You don't get that by keeping the wrong man at the job. No wonder Neville speaks of patience though after his Valencia stint.

I'd give Ole one more year and a proper transfer window. If he gets that and we finish outside top 4 boot him.

Jambalaya

Yay.Another transition.
And would be he talking like this if manager was not his buddy.I doubt it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes, but persisting with Pogba in a double pivot without the right partner is asking for trouble. That's why I'm saying we should move him further up the pitch and partner McT with Fred/Matic. It's not about us not liking what we're seeing from Pogba in that role, it's that we don't have a suitable partner for him at the moment. Switching to 4-3-3 is an option yeah. That formation would fit our current squad better. You say it puts a lot more pressure on the front three but does it really? It's not as if our current number 10 is contributing anything so they're having to do everything by themselves already.
But Matic and Fred are frankly useless, Pogba and McTominay are a better combination. You aren't fixing a thing by moving Pogba, you are just swapping the Lingard issue with the Fred/Matic issue while playing Pogba in a position where he isn't particularly good. And the other two are worse than Pogba in CM and arguably worse than everything we have as 10.

Godfather

Completely over simplifying it here. You do know we have had 3 managers in between Fergie and Ole.

I am confident we are on the right path here and football is about fine margins. Put them two penalties away and we are sat on nine points. Take Rashford off free kicks and you have more shots on target and potentially more goals. Yes Ole was a little Naive in his approach to the Palace game, play it slow, keep possession to move them out of position and then hit them on the break. It will work more times than it wont against a defensive team like Palace. They got their result with cowardly football, they will be happy with it
It wasn't cowardly football it was outsmarting Ole who still hasn't managed to find any kind of playing style or working attacking football against clubs that sit deep.

Castia

This is about our 6th transition in as many years so its hard to take seriously.

We'll always be in transition, it's just a word they use that replaces the word failure.

Last edited: