Sky Sports: Sir Alex Ferguson opens up to Gary Neville on his incredible career in football

Krits

"Its a funny game" Loved that bit, you can see the passion he has for the game. I loved this interview, love hearing him speak. What an inspiration and legend.

Jaxa

Loved the part about taking risks,

If you are losing with 15 minutes to go what's the point in sitting with your back 4 and compact midfield etc,

cc: ole@manchesterunited.com
(it's only a little dig calm down)

Red_Aaron

Always wonderful to listen to the great man talk and this is a great interview, some real nuggets in there.

If you are behind with 15mins to go what's the point? You may as well throw on more attacking players. It gives you a lift and puts fear into the opposition.

It's the most obvious thing in the world and yet so many modern coaches refuse to do it. Fergie knew the value of the mental side better than anyone, the absolute master of it

'As soon as I heard sherringham say don't let them score early and then we did - I knew we had them' we were still 3-1 down at that point btw but he knew they'd fold under the pressure

God I miss him in our dugout

Siorac

Gotta say, his accent is still murder for a non-native speaker :lol: Had to stop and rewind quite a few times.

Irwin99

Always wonderful to listen to the great man talk and this is a great interview, some real nuggets in there.

If you are behind with 15mins to go what's the point? You may as well throw on more attacking players. It gives you a lift and puts fear into the opposition.

It's the most obvious thing in the world and yet so many modern coaches refuse to do it. Fergie knew the value of the mental side better than anyone, the absolute master of it

'As soon as I heard sherringham say don't let them score early and then we did - I knew we had them' we were still 3-1 down at that point btw but he knew they'd fold under the pressure

It's amazing how neglected the mental aspect feels sometimes and Fergie was the absolute master.

It still happens regularly that a team are coasting in a match where they could be two or three goals up or just really comfortable and then a turning point occurs and they collectively just collapse; it's like a catastrophic breakdown.

Bwuk

It's amazing how neglected the mental aspect feels sometimes and Fergie was the absolute master.

It still happens regularly that a team are coasting in a match where they could be two or three goals up or just really comfortable and then a turning point occurs and they collectively just collapse; it's like a catastrophic breakdown.
That was his main strengths. Strong mentality and man management. He wasn't a tactician, just a brilliant manager.

I can't believe how much I miss him being in charge. We don't feel like United without him.

largelyworried

Really looking forward to this new film. His entire career in management is amazing, not just the Premier League success years, so I hope there's plenty of focus on that stuff too.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Loved the part about taking risks,

If you are losing with 15 minutes to go what's the point in sitting with your back 4 and compact midfield etc,

cc: ole@manchesterunited.com
(it's only a little dig calm down)
starts at 7:22.

And we took off our forwards with 5-10 mins left whilst chasing a game. That decision still hasn't sunk in for me, im in disbelief. Whats also astonishing is that many in here don't give a crap about it and the message it sends.

IrishRick

Does anyone here know what game they reference when they say that Gary cut in from 40 yards to have a shot on his left foot?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Me too and same for tens of thousands of United fans.
When he was in the dugout, I always felt that anything was possible.
Ok. Of course we didn't always win. But just seeing him there always gave me hope.
He just had that aura and the absolute top requirement - a winning mentality.
I am so pleased that he is now well enough to be out there again giving us all a further insight into what made him tick. Just a fantastic human being. And we were privileged that he was our manager.

stw2022

Don’t care who comes and goes, he’ll never be topped. There’ll never be another. On the day I die the greatest manager in the history of football will be Sir Alex Ferguson.

Trequarista10

I'll tell you something that's embarrassing.

Im 33 years old and sometimes I still day dream about being a professional footballer. Every time, it's not a day dream about the money, fame, trophies etc. It's about playing for Sir Alex Ferguson. Putting in a performance and Sir Alex giving me a pat on the back and saying well done lad.

hubbuh

An incredible human being, is our Fergie. So bloody watchable and entertaining, unbelievable down-to-earth ethos, and elevated United to dizzying heights for decades on the trot. He's just the best. Can't wait to go to the cinema to see the film about it.

Dread Devil

Thanks for sharing. Could listen to SAF all day long....inspirational..loved how he talked about the affect a later winner would have on the team, the fans, their family when they went home....so personal..

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
What the hell.. Yesterday watched Never Give In. All the years of following his interviews pre and post games, i could follow his accent from the word go. And im an asian who never been to anywhere else. He single handedly ruined english for me. The boss. What a man.