Smalling and Jones

freeurmind

weak willed
Jones is alright, Smalling has no place in the 1st eleven, I'd sooner play Lindelof or even Blind there. Shame about Bailly's injury.

izec

It's baffling, isn't it? Jones is having a 2/10 performance, and people are expecting Smalling to do it all. The problem is that Smalling is playing below par today and Jones is having an absolute mare.
Smalling is so bad on the ball, teams do specific tactics and instructions to exploit it. Either you press him and he loses the ball all the time or you let him alone and he will lose the ball regardless or hoof it. He wouldnt play for any top club. Thats regardless who his partner is or how well the other CB plays, he is shit on the ball and invites pressure, all the time.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The world in which we have one of the best defensive records in Europe. Or the stark reality that we have consistently had a goals conceded column similar to that of the league champions in recent years.

All the while, we score sod all.

We went 1-0 down and the game was over because we can't attack with any sort of idea. That's the world we're in. But people can shove their heads up Mourinho's arse some way further and pretend it's Smalling and Jones.
Jones sold two goals himself. Smalling was shocking, Spurs left him on the ball and he was snookered. He actually started not asking for it to solve the problem lol embarrassing for that level. We defend as an 11 so is everyone brilliant or do we just pretend Smalling and Jones are? Come on I’ve read hundreds of your posts you are normally bang on. I’m not believing you think this 100%.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Smalling’s technical deficiencies with the ball are painfully obvious, and Spurs did to him what we did to Sanchez in the Europa Final. I don’t consider him good enough for a top 10 side let alone United. Jones has been solid this season, but tonight he was shockingly bad. Neither of them are likely to be good enough long term if we have aspirations of becoming one of the elite teams in europe again.

Walters_19_MuFc

One game doesn't make them bad players. The both, especially Jones, have been very good this season. Unfortunately, they didn't have much protection tonight and it showed.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am really not big fan of Jones but far better defenders in wouldn't be any good with Pogba and Matic ahead of them and Ashley Young on LB. No protection whatsoever, Pogba isn't doing any defensive work at all, and I bet 36 year old Scholes was covering more pitch than Matic does at the moment, he looks like is ready for MLS for couple of months now for some reason. I have no idea what happened with Matic, completely different player than he was at start of the season.

el3mel

Our worst pairing CB. A disaster awaiting to happen. They can't work well together at all away from their individual problems.

Jones and Bailly looked like our best pairing and were working together well.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
They were shite today, but have been solid for the most part this season. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water after one dismal performance. If it carries on, then sure, but our current defensive form would suggest this was a blip more than anything else.

Zlatattack

Bonnuci anyone?

I think our centre backs are Jonny Evans level. Evans next to a Rio or Vidic was fine. 2 Jonny Evans - not good enough. We need a Rio or Vidic quality defender (I understand they were different types of players, I'm referring to the quality of the men) to pair with one of our many Jonny Evans.

A part of me wants two Rio and Vidics but that's just greedy.

Munkehboi

Its not the defending that worries me, they are alright at that bit. Modern defenders need to be comfortable with and on the ball as well but when they have it to feet, it's like they are shit scared of the thing.

Djemba-Djemba

There was a point in the 2nd half where Smalling had the ball, and was course shitting himself and didn't know what to do, and you could see Jones was telling him to ping the ball out to the left wing.

And I just thought how have they managed to play together for almost 7 years and Jones thinks Smalling can spray passes out to the wing? How do they not know each others strengths and weaknesses by now?

Bwuk

Find a side who’ve won the league with defenders starting regularly as poor as Smalling and Jones.

I know the obvious answer is Leicester but Huth and Morgan were unbelievable that year.

Jaybomb

That's what I said.
It’s not one game though, is it? They’ve been shite for almost 8 years.

All of a sudden, “not fecking up” is considered an accomplishment to some. I miss when we had world class CBs like Stam, Vidic and Rio. It’s an embarrassment that we’re settling for the likes of these two. And it’s even more embarrassing that there’s some folks out there that justify their selection and make excuses for them.

I just don’t fecking get it. It’s like some of you want us to be shit.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I’ve never really thought they have worked well as a pair.

But think people are been really hard on jones everyone has a bad game from time to time, I persobly think he has been been our best centre back for over a year.

Canagel

These two should never ever play together. It's like watching the chuckle brothers. Only 1 should partner Bailly when he's back. Don't trust Rojo either.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't want bale, dybala, griezmann, veratti for summer, i just want bonucci( this sounds like mariah carey song).
Lets go in next season with bailly- bonucci as first pair. Rojo-lindelof as second pair. And blind and tuanzebe in cover.
For these two we can get 50 mil. Invest that in defender and we are stronger than now. Much stronger.

vangagal

Smalling is 28 now and i still see the same calamity Smalling 2 or 3 years before. He is the most senior CB we have now, but he still divide opinion. He is not by any means can we call world class player, far from that. His limitation is obvious to see and nothing to suggest he will improve, we've all been this phase last year, and we are going in circle again with these 2.

Admitely, our defensive record down to the system we play and DDG. Take DDG away and we will concede twice as much as now. One thing that i dont like from these duo is they crack under pressure. Sloppy mistake after sloppy mistake that proved costly.

I cant see Smalling or Jones improve any better. Maybe this is their best level, who knows. We though Smalling would be Maldini after Van Gaal last season but he back to square one. Jones is always has this error tendency and annual injury session. Maybe its time to cut our losses.

We have a great defensive system, join City with least concede this season by just 18 but we dont seems to feel safe when get press hard or in big away games. Maybe it just me who feel enough is enough with these duo.

Jaybomb

I don't want bale, dybala, griezmann, veratti for summer, i just want bonucci( this sounds like mariah carey song).
Lets go in next season with bailly- bonucci as first pair. Rojo-lindelof as second pair. And blind and tuanzebe in cover.
For these two we can get 50 mil. Invest that in defender and we are stronger than now. Much stronger.
Bonucci is not doing too well at Milan last I heard.

Pique is the dream signing for me. Captain material and knows the club but sadly he will never leave Barca I don’t think.

We simply must sign another world class centre back in the summer, to hep Bailly. Smalling should be moved on; Lindelof might not be ready by then. Also, if Jose doesn't rate Shaw to cement a place, we'll need a left back.

Jones and Smalling, aka Laurel and Hardy, got us into another fine mess tonight.

Heinzesight

The Chuckle Brothers...can’t believe they start for us. I’m positive Carrick and Matic would be a better pairing.

Thecarrickfan_2016

2 shit twats, can't wait until they feck off out of the club. We need quality not quantity at the club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walters_19_MuFc

It’s not one game though, is it? They’ve been shite for almost 8 years.

All of a sudden, “not fecking up” is considered an accomplishment to some. I miss when we had world class CBs like Stam, Vidic and Rio. It’s an embarrassment that we’re settling for the likes of these two. And it’s even more embarrassing that there’s some folks out there that justify their selection and make excuses for them.

I just don’t fecking get it. It’s like some of you want us to be shit.
Here we go.....

Morpheus 7

Jones obviously very poor for the own goal. He could have done better for the first goal, clearance. Smalling was a mess, offered nothing and Jones cleaned up after him which isn't saying much. De Gea was poor tonight, he's amazing but kick outs awful. My issue is with Smalling, he's unable to form any partnership with any other cb. Jones in the past has been great with Rojo and comfortable with Bailly. Can smalling say that, he's a nervous negative wreck.

I know it might not be popular in here but Smalling is awful. His ball distribution is negative and poor, always passes responsibility on. The predictable foul with arms all over his man for a header, it's always the same old rubbish. We were awful tonight and he's not to be picked out but time for a new combo going forward. I just never feel we will win anything of note with him at cb with Jones. Bring Rojo back with Jones and wait for Bailly. Smalling been poor for a very long time, doesn't work with Jones in my opinion.

liamp

I swear, the perceived importance and extent of Smalling's lack of technical ability changes after every match.

He is what he is. There are teams like Spurs who are much more able to exploit his obvious weaknesses than others. I don't know why he's getting blasted in here like we haven't known this about him for almost a full decade now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They had a poor game, it happens. Bigger problem was them not receiving any protection from the midfield and constantly having eriksen, Kane, son and alli drive at them with the ball. Never going to work.

tombob

We lost the game in midfield which didnt help them however the total lack of composure and inability to work the ball forward just adds more pressure. Smalling is espically poor in that respect and the amount of times he he passes just for the sake of passing is ridiculous. Its like hes never worked out how to commit an opposing player and create space for his team mates.

All in all they are both decent pro’s but will never be anything more than second string. In the years they been at the club and weve had top central defenders would either these two been picked over those? Simple answer is no.

Giggs86

Get this dumb and dumber duo to fecking West Brom. I honestly don't know why Mourinho keeps playing them. We can assemble the best attacking line up in the world but we ain't winning shit with these clowns in the center of our defense.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They killed us today.
Kane completely dominated them in the air.
Thought that was their bread and butter.
Garbage tonight...the two of them.

Rajma

Dumb and dumber
That's it. Watched the game at Wembley today and Kane run rings around them drawing them out of positions and Smalling, in particular, would always be late to react to the incisive runs made by Kane - extremely poor just switches off. No anticipation at all from him, normally, I associate that with the lack of intelligence.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I'd like to see Smalling-Rojo going forward. At least Marcos can sort his feet out and generally wins headers.
Bailly/Rojo was our best pairing. Solid defensively, prepared to put their bodies on the line and offering something going forward. I don't understand why people get so worked up in one breath when we lose then they blindly defend average players in another.

Smalling and Jones may be decent defenders but surely to hell, Manchester United should be aiming higher than them. They should be playing in teams like Watford or Southampton.

I really hope Jose has a ruthless summer. I would even go with some of the youngsters over some of the mediocrity we have right now.

OK777

Other teams always never seem phased letting Smalling have the ball, he cannot use it! Works in their favour so just like Spurs did, they pressure everyone and once the ball gets to Smalling its almost like "let him have it, he will give it to us soon enough", and before you know he has tried to play a ridiculous ball and turned it over, or just hoofed it straight back to them.