Smalling loan watch

Ekeke

After that performance he's now statistically Roma's joint best player with Pellegrini, Roma's joint 5th top scorer with 1 goal and 3rd best form statistically of all CBs in the top divisions that have played 4 or more matches.

Now again its only 6 matches. 2 or 3 poor ones would see all that change. But thats his current form and if he could keep it up, thats some going.

More important than the stats are that he's also helping Roma keep lots of clean sheets with 3 clean sheets in 6 games since Smalling debuted for them

Bobski

Good player, but familiarity breeds contempt and he was an easy target for the generational frustration Utd fans have been feeling post Fergie.

Roma was a smart move for his career, get away from the toxicity of Utd, showcase his abilities away from agendas. Doing well, because despite everything he is a bloody good defender.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
My dream is him coming back to United in January, to help us get a consistent run together for the last half of the season and grab top 4. I always thought his work was very under appreciated and his development just went under the radar of so many fans due to him being lumped in with Jones.

I get why he left. Great to see him come into a new club without being scapegoat for the surrounding circumstances, and in result when being treated fairly and objectively he gets a lot of praise. People are surprised from the positive reviews because he was under appreciated by our fans and consequently other football fans in England, but him coming down there to glue their defence together doesn't surprise me one bit, is just what he does. Just that people never gave him the credit for doing that at United, they instead said he was making players around him worse:lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Shame he never got a chance alongside Maguire. Not a surprise he's doing well having backed him on here for years.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Good player, but familiarity breeds contempt and he was an easy target for the generational frustration Utd fans have been feeling post Fergie.

Roma was a smart move for his career, get away from the toxicity of Utd, showcase his abilities away from agendas. Doing well, because despite everything he is a bloody good defender.
True.

I hope he has a good loan and comes back. There are lots of players at united need to get rid off or upgrade, but Smalling is quality.

Laphroaig

I really hope Maguire's only going through some growing pains, because Smalling woudl be so much better for us this season. Since AWB and James have been such massive successes, I choose to trust OGS and the management. But ...

ghagua

Ridiculous to think he went on loan and Bailly, Rojo and to a slightly lesser extent Lindelof and Jones are still here really. Not surprised he's doing ok.
Yea ridiculous to think we got rid of a player who can actually defend to keep ball-playing defenders who have a hard time doing what they are supposed to do. He would have been an ideal partner for more organized Maguire.

SteveW

His twitter comments are full of Roma fans declaring their love and begging him to sign permanently.

Ekeke

Smalling Vs. Roma's best CBs in the past 6 years in their best seasons

If he keeps it up he'll be their best CB since Benatia for 1 season in 13/14

One more interesting thing is that Roma dont have a proper ball winner in midfield. Pastore makes their most tackles with 1.8 per game but 0.7 interceptions meaning he wins the ball about as much as Andreas Pereira does for us, a bit more than Pogba does for us.

Veretout was actually a good ball winner last season for Fiorentina as well as a few nice passes forward and scoring penalties, but so far that hasn't translated at Roma and he averages less than 1 tackle and 1 interception per match.

So that would suggest that the Roma backline isn't particularly well shielded by the defense. There's no McTominay in midfield

Last edited:

Suedesi

Chris Smalling takes a little time to warm up, but when he really starts talking he’s engaging and open, a man who got three Bs at A level and had the confidence to move to Rome when it would have been easier not to.

He reflects on the reasons behind his switch, how he hopes it will lead to an England recall, Manchester United’s “false” league position and the death of his father, when he was just five.

“I started to think about playing away from United quite late in the transfer window,” he says of his move to Italy. “I’d signed a new (United) contract six months before and was playing regularly when Ole (Gunnar Solskjaer) came in.

“Then there was talk of a new centre-back all summer. That was no problem to me, it’s part of the challenge and United have signed Victor (Lindelof) and Eric (Bailly) in recent seasons. I welcomed them, I welcomed the challenge, worked hard and by the end of the season I’d played more than many in the squad.”

This season was looking different, though. “Ole went with Victor and Harry (Maguire) in the first couple of games and put Axel (Tuanzebe) on the bench for some experience which is fair enough. If I hadn’t played so much in previous years, I might have been happy playing Europa League games and coming into other games depending on form and fitness, but late in the window, I felt I needed a clear picture of where I was at.

“I was in constant dialogue with Ole and he told me that I would play a fair amount of games. I would’ve played 20-25 games, maybe more, but then Roma made their offer. It was put to me and I felt I could play 40-50 games with Roma, maybe twice what I’d play at United.”

Staying at United would have been the easy option for the new dad. “I could have picked up my wages, I’ve just become a father to a little boy of five months, I was settled in Manchester with my family. Coming to Rome was a challenge that I liked, a big club with big expectations. The manager doesn’t just want to get back in the top four, he wants to win a trophy. Roma have had some great Champions League nights recently, but the Europa League is important here this season.”

After 323 games for United (52nd in the club’s all-time appearance table with more United games than Nemanja Vidic or Cristiano Ronaldo) Smalling had the backing of those closest to him.

“My wife has always been supportive. She said: ‘If you want to move, we’ll all move. We’ll do what’s best for your football.’ I knew she’d say that, which I appreciated. So I moved. I lived in a hotel for a month and we moved into a beautiful house last week. It’s 700 hundred years old, just outside Rome. It’s surrounded by greenery which is important with our dogs. Everyone is here now and that feels good. I’ve had to change my wardrobe because I’ve been living in shorts and t-shirts. It was 28 degrees at the end of October – that’s a perk.”

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The Roma shirt suits his fancy hairstyle.

DanClancy

He is absolutely useless with the ball at his feet and is prone to the odd error hence why he was let go, thankfully it looks like he won't be back at OT and he'll get a move away for a good fee next summer.

romufc

He is absolutely useless with the ball at his feet and is prone to the odd error hence why he was let go, thankfully it looks like he won't be back at OT and he'll get a move away for a good fee next summer.
Oh no but fans don't remember all those years of errors, making the ball look like hot potato.

All they see is 10 seconds clips of a part of a game and get excited.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
A good defender, quick. Was good under Van Gaal, less so under Jose. I guess United had to let someone go this summer and the offer to take Smalling came in.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Hopefully we can fleece them for 25-30m
Good luck, because Roma are preparing an £8m bid to sign him permanently.

Since his arrival to Roma, loanee defender Chris Smalling has impressed everyone with excellent performances crowned with his first goal in Serie A against Udinese. On Wednesday afternoon a meeting between Roma's emissaries and Manchetser United took place to discuss the possibility to make Smalling's deal permanent.

The meeting between the parties was positive and useful to lay the fundations of the negotiations between the two clubs. The Giallorossi have prepared an initial bid in the region of €10 million, that could be submitted to the Red Devils in the coming days. Roma are trying to move ahead of time in order to forestall the contenders and reach an agreement with the English club. On the flipside, Roma have still a long way to go in the negotiations, as United have set their asking price at €20 million, especially after the excellent displays of their defender with Roma.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/rom...hester-united-to-make-smalling-deal-permanent
Spunking £80m on Maguire will never make sense to me.

romufc

Yep and he scored the most goals of our CBs. So imagine if we had a CB who scored goals this season
You are talking as if he scored 10 goals a season?

18/19 - 1 goal
17/18 - 4 goals
16/17 - 1 goal
15/16 - 0 goals

Quite prolific that, average of 1.5 goals a season we should have kept him for that reason. Never mind he is not a ball playing defender who makes mistakes.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Delighted things are going so well for him. A good guy, deserves a bit of recognition.

Bogga

Of course he's got a high percentage of succesful passes since he never ever passes the ball forward. Usually behind the sprinting left/right back so he has to wait for the ball or possibly even backtrack... That's what's annoyed me most over the years, his defensive skills is not the issue...

Ekeke

You are talking as if he scored 10 goals a season?

18/19 - 1 goal
17/18 - 4 goals
16/17 - 1 goal
15/16 - 0 goals

Quite prolific that, average of 1.5 goals a season we should have kept him for that reason. Never mind he is not a ball playing defender who makes mistakes.
Yes 4 goals is a lot and hes managed it twice. 1 goal is a lot compared to 90% of our CBs who usually get 0. And guess how many goals we have combined from our defenders this season - thats right 0

Lindelof scored 1 goal for Benfica, 1 goal for Sweden and 1 goal for United. He's in his 3rd season here

Rojo has scored 1 goal for Manchester United. He's in his 6th season here

Bailly has scored 1 goal for Manchester United. He's in his 4th season here

Jones has scored 4 goals for Manchester United. He's in his 9th season here

So yes Smalling's 12 goals in 9 seasons is a lot for a United CB

Rio managed 7

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Glad he's doing well, but not really surprised.
He's a very good defender, who was a mainstay in most of our recent lows as a team - so naturally, it's easy to pick him out as a space goat. Before the season started I thought him & Maguire would be a strong partnership (I still do) but i'm happy for us to build with Tuanzebe & Maguire instead for the long term

I hope we sell him, purely because it's pretty clear that the majority of our fans don't rate him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I still can't understand how LVG who was so obsessed with ball possession rated Smalling while good old little Ole did not.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I still can't understand how LVG who was so obsessed with ball possession rated Smalling while good old little Ole did not.
LvG had bigger holes to fill elsewhere and he had the benefit of Carrick in deep lying playmaker role. He also insisted on playing Blind as a centerback when the rest of the forum was calling him a shitty midfielder who was never convincing in defence.

Gandalf

Glad he's doing well, but not really surprised.
He's a very good defender, who was a mainstay in most of our recent lows as a team - so naturally, it's easy to pick him out as a space goat. Before the season started I thought him & Maguire would be a strong partnership (I still do) but i'm happy for us to build with Tuanzebe & Maguire instead for the long term

I hope we sell him, purely because it's pretty clear that the majority of our fans don't rate him.
This part intrigues me, tell me more? Is Elon Musk involved?

DanClancy

Oh no but fans don't remember all those years of errors, making the ball look like hot potato.

All they see is 10 seconds clips of a part of a game and get excited.
Correct, 9 whole seasons we had of him and in that time he didn't improve on the ball at all. He should have been sold 2 years ago, he's had his chance and not taken it so time to move on.

TrustInOle

Correct, 9 whole seasons we had of him and in that time he didn't improve on the ball at all. He should have been sold 2 years ago, he's had his chance and not taken it so time to move on.
Yet still a better defender than anyone else in our squad, and out performed every other CB we bought in that time. His ball playing maybe rubbish, but the lad gets far too much stick. Would kill it at a club like Atletico.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
LvG had bigger holes to fill elsewhere and he had the benefit of Carrick in deep lying playmaker role. He also insisted on playing Blind as a centerback when the rest of the forum was calling him a shitty midfielder who was never convincing in defence.
I confess I was never a big fan of Hodor however I always believed that CBs should be able to defend first. The rest is all a bonus. Smalling is a better CB then both Rojo and Lindelof combined, both of whom can easily be beaten physically or in air. This ball playing BS is useless if you've got CBs who are a liability at the back.

Now Maguire is a decent CB but he's slow. If you put him alongside Lindelof/Rojo then you either play him deep losing his ball playing skills or else you let him go forward and risk having the opponent's striker in a 1 vs 1 situation against them. That's not something any United fan would want. Not to forget that without Maguire we've got zero cover in air attacks. Smalling would have been handy to have around. Don't take me wrong I do believe that we miss a top quality deep lying playmaker. I can't believe that United started the season without strengthening midfield, RW and forward line. Having said that, Smalling was a player I would keep. Actually (@Wumminator he's my favourite stalker so I try to help him out unearth things that I got wrong. It really makes his day) I thought Smalling-Maguire would be our CBs duo. That combination is far from perfect but I can see plenty of positives in it and is far more solid than the other combinations we've got so far.Who knows maybe they would have been good enough for us to play with a 4 men CBs and add an extra CM in the team to help out.

Classical Mechanic

Yes 4 goals is a lot and hes managed it twice. 1 goal is a lot compared to 90% of our CBs who usually get 0. And guess how many goals we have combined from our defenders this season - thats right 0

Lindelof scored 1 goal for Benfica, 1 goal for Sweden and 1 goal for United. He's in his 3rd season here

Rojo has scored 1 goal for Manchester United. He's in his 6th season here

Bailly has scored 1 goal for Manchester United. He's in his 4th season here

Jones has scored 4 goals for Manchester United. He's in his 9th season here

So yes Smalling's 12 goals in 9 seasons is a lot for a United CB

Rio managed 7
Interesting comparison. He got 13 goals and assists in the PL for United in 9 seasons. Maguire got 13 goals and assists in the PL in 3 seasons.

DanClancy

Yet still a better defender than anyone else in our squad, and out performed every other CB we bought in that time. His ball playing maybe rubbish, but the lad gets far too much stick. Would kill it at a club like Atletico.
Couldn't care less where he would 'kill it' as he clearly not good enough for United. Depends on your definition of defending, he's made countless mistakes in recent years; If his defending was as good as you think he'd still be at OT and not been shipped out to Roma.

Gator Nate

Always rated him, think he is underrated and he was a scapegoat because people think we would play attacking football if he was a better passer. We have now got a better passer, but the attacking football seems still far away. And we are conceding more goals even.

He's not a world class CB, but he is a very good one. He will be very good at Roma and hopefully we can get a good deal for him. But I still think he is way better than Bailly, Jones and Rojo. A lot better to be fair. Axel has potential and so does Lindelof.
:confused: Through 10 games last year, we had conceded 17 goals and were even on goal differential. Through 10 games this year, we've conceded 10 and have a +3 diff.