Players who could play CM next year:

Anderson,
Fletcher,
Jones,
Carrick,
Young,
Park,
Giggs

With O'Shea and Gibson still around. We're not exactly crying out because of lack of numbers.
Young can not play CM.

Jones has played as a shield for the 2 CBs - himself saying he is no midfielder.

Park I would like to see there but its not a position we have played him in previously.

I'll happily bet you that we wont see Young in CM once next season and Jones on not more than a couple of occasions as a starter in a league or CL game.

Gibson is as good as gone. O'Shea...well, I'd like him to stay, but I never want to see him in CM.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yet but he's a motorbike he doesn't need to lug the whole team around from CM.
Can you please tell me which of these statements you agree with:

a) The CM is one of the most important, if not THE most important player on the football pitch.

b) Uniteds CM is comfortably weaker than Arsenals

c) Man United finished 12 points clear of Arsenal last year.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
The actual idea of us not signing a CM this summer seems so unlikely to me I'm not worried yet.

Scholes leaves an absolute chasm and SAF can see it from France

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I'd be stunned if we didn't look to strengthen our midfield. I don't really understand some of the views here. Yes, we've signed Young, not a traditional midfielder. That's not to say we won't add to that position regardless? He will offer more than just wing play, evidenced off the back of last season, and what we know he's capable of.

Even if we didn't for some odd reason bring in another midfielder, Young wasn't brought instead of one. I can't imagine the decision was either Young, or a solid midfielder. What we've done is bring in a great talent, who has maintained his high standards at a team that isn't the greatest, and performed in the league consistently over the years. We've strengthened our wings directly, and brought in a player who can offer more than just that, and at the end of the day we've got another player who can at the very least will see our wingers have more rotation over the course of a season. Never a bad thing.

I'm confident we will address our issues in the central area, it's far more noticeable than any other issue, other then maybe a goalkeeper, which we have sorted anyway. It was clearly a major issue for us last season, I think for Fergie not to notice that is insane, and if he's looking at bringing in extra quality to boost our wings, with Giggs age in mind as well, it's a sure bet he's noticed the gap in midfield and with Scholes retiring, there has to be a signing on the cards.

But still, I don't think it was a 'one or the other' type thing. We will probably sign a midfielder and then praise Fergie on settling our midfield and wings in one window.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Such as?

Besides, if you're going down the route of including central midfielders, who's more likely to score goals? Anderson? Or Fabregas/Ramsey/Wilshere?
We're not including central midfielders, you just put a couple on the Arsenal list anyway in order to boost it up, gimpchops.

I notice people are now including Young and Jones as central midfield options in an attempt to make it look like we're not short of quality or numbers there. That tells its own story.

The actual idea of us not signing a CM this summer seems so unlikely to me I'm not worried yet.

Scholes leaves an absolute chasm and SAF can see it from France
I don't think we're going to sign one. It was as obvious we needed one this time last year.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I don't think we're going to sign one. It was as obvious we needed one this time last year.
I know, to be honest, I find it so frustrating. With a good CM we could have done well in Europe and done better in the league. It's so fecking annoying having such a shite midfield.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
This thread is about Young. Don't know why concerns about CMF are in an Ashley Young thread.

The transfer window is just getting going and we haven't buying finished yet. Can't buy all our targets at the same time and can't necessarily buy them in a set order. Doesn't mean we won't buy a CMF player just because we bought a defender and a winger first.

Please have patience and stop this unnecessary panicking. We will buy a midfielder.

Adzzz

Staff
Things weren't quite as desperate this time last year however. Scholes was playing another year, Giggs was a year younger, there were faint hopes that Hargreaves was alive and many expected Anderson, Gibson etc to really kick on.

Not to mention no-one really expected Fletcher and Carrick to fall off. Carrick, came back slightly as of late.

Now the midfield situation has completely changed.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I know, to be honest, I find it so frustrating. With a good CM we could have done well in Europe and done better in the league. It's so fecking annoying having such a shite midfield
I know, to be honest, I find it so frustrating. With Ashley Young we could have done well in Europe and done better in the league. It was so fecking annoying not having Ashley Young last season.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I do agree with Noods we desperately need a quality Midfielder.
I don't think anybody doubts that.

We don't need Sanchez.

We need a De Rossi type, somebody to steady the helm and not panic under pressure. Somebody who is confident enough to hold on to the ball and not release a poor pass, upon the first tackle.

Here I go with being controversial..... Carrick and Fletcher are not good enough.

Adzzz

Staff
I don't think anybody doubts that.

We don't need Sanchez.

We need a De Rossi type, somebody to steady the helm and not panic under pressure. Somebody who is confident enough to hold on to the ball and not release a poor pass, upon the first tackle.

Here I go with being controversial..... Carrick and Fletcher are not good enough.
I'm not sure that's controversial. Carrick and Fletcher as a midfield 2 isn't on parity with the quality of the front 2 and the back 2.

In saying that, what would parity be? Sneijder and Schweinsteiger? In many ways we have to be realistic.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I know, to be honest, I find it so frustrating. With Ashley Young we could have done well in Europe and done better in the league. It was so fecking annoying not having Ashley Young last season.
And if we sign a quality midfielder in this window, what would your thoughts on Young be?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
And if we sign a quality midfielder in this window, what would your thoughts on Young be?
I still wouldn't really understand the point, I'd just not be annoyed that we haven't addressed central midfield.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This thread is about Young. Don't know why concerns about CMF are in an Ashley Young thread.

The transfer window is just getting going and we haven't buying finished yet. Can't buy all our targets at the same time and can't necessarily buy them in a set order. Doesn't mean we won't buy a CMF player just because we bought a defender and a winger first.

Please have patience and stop this unnecessary panicking. We will buy a midfielder.
Didn't you get the memo?

New caf protocol. We're obliged to whine about central midfielders throughout every thread about every other signing. Almost two months left before the window closes. Shit-loads of whining left to do.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They don't need to, but if Xavi retired of old age they'd probably need to sign a midfielder.
Course they do. Every great manager realises there is an importance in keeping things fresh and constantly bringing new players in. Hence the fact Sanchez/Fabregas/Mata are being constantly linked. We can't afford to stand still. Young is a player we know can play well and will put further pressure on the current wingers to maintain their excellent levels. What's wrong with this signing?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't really get what Noodle's on about. There's always room for good players that improve the squad. Sure we need a central midfielder - desperately - but signing Young doesn't mean we won't get one.

Adzzz

Staff
It's permeating every thread and will continue to do so until it's addressed I'm afraid, it's simply that obvious an area of concern.

However, perhaps we should worry about it a week before the window ends if it isn't resolved.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I still wouldn't really understand the point, I'd just not be annoyed that we haven't addressed central midfield.
I don't understand this really. Would you not say that signing Young has boosted the squad, and gives players like Nani and Valencia the oppertunity to last a full season, or play a full season without slowing down? At the very least he provides rotation options, but he also has a great set of qualities that would directly improve us anyway. It's not like he's a shit winger with nothing to offer, he's a very talented and consistent player.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Didn't you get the memo?

New caf protocol. We're obliged to whine about central midfielders throughout every thread about every other signing. Almost two months left before the window closes. Shit-loads of whining left to do.
This made me giggle.

:smirk:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's permeating every thread and will continue to do so until it's addressed I'm afraid, it's simply that obvious an area of concern.

However, perhaps we should worry about it a week before the window ends if it isn't resolved.
It's bloody annoying though.

To use a variant on the Jewish kid at Christmas analogy, all the pissing and moaning about central midfield is the equivalent of getting your kid the bicycle he was promised, leaving it carefully hidden in the garage, then getting woken up at 6am by the little shit having a tantrum because he opened another, smaller, present first.

Adzzz

Staff
It's bloody annoying though.

To use a variant on the Jewish kid at Christmas analogy, all the pissing and moaning about central midfield is the equivalent of getting your kid the bicycle he was promised, leaving it carefully hidden in the garage, then getting woken up at 6am by the little shit having a tantrum because he opened another, smaller, present first.
:lol: I've just saw an image of Modric and Sneijder huddled in Gill's garage.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't really get what Noodle's on about. There's always room for good players that improve the squad. Sure we need a central midfielder - desperately - but signing Young doesn't mean we won't get one.
I don't really think Ashley Young's that good, to be honest. Aside from any central midfield issues.

I don't think we need a winger, and if we do it's cetainly not desperate. I'd have prefered we take our time and find someone who's better than what we already have, or younger, otherwise I don't see the point in spending millions of pounds just to get someone, when if we're just going to sign someone, there are other areas of the pitch that need more urgent attention.

It was the same when we spent two years and £20 million trying to sign Owen Hargreaves in order for him to sit on the bench, despite at the time not having a single fit striker who's main position wasn't behind another striker.

Priorities

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I don't really think Ashley Young's that good, to be honest. Aside from any central midfield issues.

I don't think we need a winger, and if we do it's cetainly not desperate. I'd have prefered we take our time and find someone who's better than what we already have, or younger, otherwise I don't see the point in spending millions of pounds just to get someone, when if we're just going to sign someone, there are other areas of the pitch that need more urgent attention.

It was the same when we spent two years and £20 million trying to sign Owen Hargreaves in order for him to sit on the bench, despite at the time not having a single fit striker who's main position wasn't behind another striker.

Priorities
But... we won the CL and prem that year, with Hargreaves starting in the CL final, and scoring a goal against arsenal that won us the league....

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Priorities
We signed Hargreaves in the summer of 2007. Hargreaves made 34 appearances the following season and we went on to win a PL/CL double.

Probably not the best example to support your case...

Adzzz

Staff
Not only that but Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo was the best attack in the world at that point in time, we didn't really need a striker.

If anything, we need Hargreaves far more than Berbatov. Possibly hindsight there, but it stands to reason now.

Skywarden

What's not good about him? His mentality? Form? Stats? Age?

Priorities
So we haven't taken our time picking one of PL's best wingers to replace, or at the very least, give our squad a needed depth on the wings? You talk about priorities; what do you know about our priorities and future plans?

This signing has nothing to do with our central midfield. It would absolutely irresponsible of SAF to sign Young and not a CM at this current point.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
If Hargreaves hadn't been a perma-crock he'd still be an important part of our midfield now. Good signing at the time that didn't turn out well for us.

Kelvin

Priorities
Giggs can't last forever you know.....Park is 30, nothing wrong to buy a younger winger to safeguard our future....

noodlehair

"It's like..."
But... we won the CL and prem that year, with Hargreaves starting in the CL final, and scoring a goal against arsenal that won us the league....
We signed Hargreaves in the summer of 2007. Hargreaves made 34 appearances the following season and we went on to win a PL/CL double.

Probably not the best example to support your case...
Yeah, because Ronaldo scored 42 goals all by himself and we happened to have a very good team regardless.

We also ended up using John O'Shea as a target man in the very first game of the season, and spent the first month or so playing an unfit Carlos Tevez up front on his own whilst barely scoring any goals.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Two months two sign a midfielder, until we reach the point where it can't happen, how can anyone argue we've got our priorities mixed up? If we sign a midfielder, would it have made the slightest bit of difference getting Young first or afterwards?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah, because Ronaldo scored 42 goals all by himself and we happened to have a very good team regardless.

We also ended up using John O'Shea as a target man in the very first game of the season, and spent the first month or so playing an unfit Carlos Tevez up front on his own whilst barely scoring any goals.
What the feck? Who gives a shit about the start of the season, when we had so many injuries. When everyone got back to fitness, we played very well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Using your logic, we should have signed a different striker to Tevez and not Owen Hargreaves?

How do you think the season would have worked out then? Better than it turned out?