Snus

RVN1991

I've tried Snuff before once, it made me feel like Tony Montana.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For the very same reason a huge proportion of athletes, footballers and other sports people do it,

It wakes you up, makes you alert and gives you that instant hit, it's a bit like an instant hit of caffeine just without the crash if caffeine actually worked that fast.
Gives you time for the caffeine to take hold later on.
I get that. Still can't see the benefit of that instant hit in the changing room, before going out to play a 90 minute game of football. If you're relying on caffeine to perform, why not just take the caffeine a bit earlier?

JagUTD

Sounds like the noise Ronaldo would make if he scored but had a cold.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I get that. Still can't see the benefit of that instant hit in the changing room, before going out to play a 90 minute game of football. If you're relying on caffeine to perform, why not just take the caffeine a bit earlier?
I'd say in that instance it's as much a mental "push" as it is physical. Works better in ice hockey where they have ~60 second shifts and then sit on the bench for a couple of minutes before getting back on the ice again.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I once tried it in order to wean myself off cigarettes. In the end I found it easier to just stop smoking. Tastes like shite. Stings. Burns a hole in your gum. An all round winner.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Articles like these serve as a constant reminder of how stupid most footballers are.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It was a fad in the US maybe 10-15 years ago. Tried it a few times, couldn't handle the nicotine rush. Made me want to throw up. The minty sensation was pleasant though.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Then the caffeine will wear off quicker! You need to load so that you feel the full benefits of the caffeine at the optimum point (I aim for 30 minutes into the game so that you can then reload slightly at half time which will see you through), so I have the caffeine either pills or sports drink during the warm up and first team talk (usually 30 mins or so before KO)
I find by having a blast of salts, you immediately feel alert and awake with a heightened sense of focus, ready for when the caffeine truly takes hold.

It's not a reliance on caffeine, it's an enhancement, used in the right way caffeine can add relatively massive improvements to performance output.

Mercurial

1 Snus is 2.5x nicotine vs 1 cigg roughly. It increases the blood pressure by a little and could be beneficial in som situations that require attention. Almost all hockey players i know or of use it. Lot of professionals in various fields use it and won't function without a snus and coffee. Looks disgusting in its more macho raw unportioned state.

Suedesi

It's strange because nicotine can enhance attention, focus, and alertness, but it also relaxes skeletal muscle which is quite bad for physical performance

Nicotine is a bad idea for enhancing physical performance but it is an excellent tool for enhancing cognitive focus

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Actually, just writing this post I start thinking about quitting (again).
I quit monthly, and i'd say i'm one of the best in the world at quitting.

Too bad i'm really good at starting too...

Bertie Wooster

As an incredibly boring non-smoking, teetotal vegetarian, I'd never even heard of Snus until reading this thread.

Considering the potential side effects of the addiction that are being suggested then it's very surprising, and concerning, to see its wide spread use amongst the PL players.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never heard of it until now.

Lost bear

wtf?

Never heard of snus. Anyone use them? Anyone ever noticed any benefit from using them?
I work in drug policy and have come across snus, yeah- I believe it's a Swedish thing. It's a kind of chewing tobacco if I recall correctly; never come across it in the UK though, but I'm an old timer now when it comes to drugs.

FattyFooty

Its a Scandinavian thing.

Its really good, but it can be very addictive. Noe i only use it when i drink beers.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Feel like I've been living under a rock... I've never heard of this until I saw this thread...

And having read this thread... I'm still not entirely sure I know what it is.

Andre Kagawa

Feel like I've been living under a rock... I've never heard of this until I saw this thread...

It's just tobacco that you put under your upper lip. Gives you a nicotine kick just like smoking a fag.

zinnaldo

it’s a tobacco product - either in loose form (so will look like black, moist, course moulding clay) or in portions (which means it’s allready in what looks like a tiny tea-bag)
you put it under your lip, and it just sits there for anywhere between 20 minutes and as long as you want.

I sleep with it for reference (which is rare and probably disgusting).

id post pictures but I’m a simple newbie so no such rights (and this is also the last post about it I can post tonight due to newbie limit so if any more clarification needed DM me or wait in suspense and agony until tmrw

Boneli

Two quite interesting bits from that article:
It was only recently that the story emerged of Rod Thornley, then a masseur at Manchester United, becoming sick after some of the players put snus into his sandwich for a joke.
Another big-name Premier League player weaned himself off snus after a long period of struggling for form
So from that first one you could infer that they’re pretty common place in our dressing room. And the second one, I could definitely think of a big-name Premier League player who has been pictured with them that fits that description…

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
First thing that came to my mind was betel nut chewing.

Must admit ive never heard of snus until now.

Harold_Giles

Snus used to be a very popular thing in Iceland, but about 4 years ago Nicotine pouches won the population over. These pouches are sold at every supermarket and kiosk, come in various flavours and are very cheap compared to the Icelandic snus.
I'm one of the addicted idiots and it's a very hard addiction to overcome.

A recent study in Iceland showed 28% of people aged 18-24 use nicotine pouches. A quarter of men in this age group use nicotine pouches every day, and around a fifth of women.

Andre Kagawa

Snus used to be a very popular thing in Iceland, but about 4 years ago Nicotine pouches won the population over. These pouches are sold at every supermarket and kiosk, come in various flavours and are very cheap compared to the Icelandic snus.
I'm one of the addicted idiots and it's a very hard addiction to overcome.

A recent study in Iceland showed 28% of people aged 18-24 use nicotine pouches. A quarter of men in this age group use nicotine pouches every day, and around a fifth of women.
Snus are literally 'nicotine pouches'. What are the difference with Icelandic ones? Sounds like a rip-off

Harold_Giles

Snus are literally 'nicotine pouches'. What are the difference with Icelandic ones? Sounds like a rip-off
In Iceland there was only one type of snus allowed. It was a brown nose tobacco product, that people would stuff in their mouths.
The Nicotine pouches don't have any tobacco, so that's where my difference between snus and nicotine pouches comes from :)

PaulScholes99

As snus are a product with nikotin, nobody can argue that it is healthy to take snus. But it is quite interesting to point out that the numbers for more or less any disease related to nikotin/tobacco is much lower in scandinavian countries than in other parts of europe. The main reason is that only a very tiny percentage of people use snus and smoke - for 98%+ its either snus or smoking. And snus is the by far less harmful alternative.

If anybody is interested, just google studies of the effects of snus/cigarets - here is one to start with: https://harmreductionjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12954-019-0335-1

"Overall, prevalence statistics and epidemiological data indicate that the use of snus confers a significant harm reduction benefit which is reflected in the comparatively low levels of tobacco-related disease in Sweden when compared with the rest of Europe. The available scientific data, including long-term population studies conducted by independent bodies, demonstrates that the health risks associated with snus are considerably lower than those associated with cigarette smoking."

And i am not a fan of snus. I am addicted myself and i can openly say that snus is bad in many ways: your teeth don't like it, you get addicted super fast, you can feel sick quite fast, ... - but compared to cigarets it's still way way better.

So, all in all: There is not too much evidence that snus is harmful, but it still has it's negative effects. So athletes shouldn't really use it, and also regular people shouldn't, but if the decision is between snus/cigarets, then definitely snus.

RedDevil@84

Is it the same as snuff? A dry tobacco powder you inhale through the nose.
My dad used it for decades. It was not even available in most places (like cigarettes). And he used to drive to a specific place and buy 3-4 very small cans of them and stock them.

Prodigy24

It's absolutely huge in Sweden, and it's becoming even more popular now ever since white snus (the one without tobacco) got introduced. The white snus is also very popular with women as well. It's hard to find a girl that doesn't have a snus pack these days.

But I got to say, a Göteborgs Rapé sits really nicely after a meal.

Harold_Giles

Is it the same as snuff? A dry tobacco powder you inhale through the nose.
My dad used it for decades. It was not even available in most places (like cigarettes). And he used to drive to a specific place and buy 3-4 very small cans of them and stock them.
Snuff is a finer cut, powder-like as you described, used through the nose.
Snus is more roughly cut and normally stuffed under your upper lip.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Isn’t it just popular with footballers because they’re not allowed to smoke, and this can be taken much more secretly?

Isn’t it just popular with footballers because they’re not allowed to smoke, and this can be taken much more secretly?
I reckon so, it’s been popular outside of Sweden for long plane journeys for example.

On a side note, had to ban the missus’ Dad from ever staying in our spare room, dirty bastard sleeps with it and dribbles it down into the pillow. After 3 brown stained pillows got chucked, we banned him from using the spare room.
He uses the loose stuff too, not the little bags. 50 years of it.

LInkash

I don't get how it less dangerous than smoking.

Players have literally had mouth cancer from it. Do people get lung cancer from smoking for a couple of years?