So, can Neymar 'do a Maradona' and lead PSG to glory?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Maradona was the key component for Napoli and Argentina in two teams that were better than the revisionist narrative says they were. He didn't 'single-handedly' take them to the top, but he was the closest thing to such a feat that we've possibly seen in the history of the game.

Obviously Neymar is not being purchased for domestic glory, rather, he is expected to take PSG to CL finals or maybe to lifting the trophy. If he manages to win the CL with PSG, he'll have been worth every penny to them and raised their profile to the level they covet the most.

If PSG won the CL this upcoming season, Neymar's status and profile as a catalyst and inspiration will go through the roof. He will also become a legitimate contender for BPITW alongside the usual suspects instead of firmly in their shadow. In the here and now, people won't bring themselves to compare it to the feats of the old time all-time greats, but with a decade or so, he'll definitely be seen as doing something in standing with them from the historical standpoint, too.

I mention Maradona specifically because he was brought to Napoli so that they could do a similar thing and take on the true giants of the game and he was the piece that made it possible for them to do what they did. PSG are similar when it comes to Europe, and even with Neymar, they're not a supreme squad or xi when all is said and done.

So forget about the money involved and just look at the footballer involved: can he lead PSG to CL glory in a way that befits the true legends of the game?

For comparisons see what:

- Di Stefano did for Real Madrid
- Pele at Santos
- Eusebio at Benfica
- Beckenbauer at Bayern Munich
- Maradona at Napoli

and so on and so forth.

cyberman

Nope.
It's not their attack that lets them down time and time again.

spiriticon

I'm not sure Neymar is that good that he can win multiple CLs for PSG by himself really. He's only won one for Barca team stacked in quality.

I don't even think he is better than Ronaldinho or Ronaldo, never mind Maradona.

RooneyLegend

Him joining PSG is nothing like Maradona joining PSG. PSG have been relevant on the euro scene for years now while even after acquiring Maradona Napoli were still a pretty poor side.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
If they win the CL in the next couple of years then Neymar's rep will be through the roof.

It shouldn't be though. There are only a few clubs that can win the CL and, even though they haven't done it yet, PSG are in that bracket. Their demolition of Barca last year shows how good they are at their best (obviously the second leg exposed their weakness). But the point is, they're not a million (ney, 220 million) miles away from winning it. If PSG win it the narrative will definitely be about Neymar, but he shouldn't get credit for single-handedly dragging them to the CL.*

*Unless the team performs poorly and he actually does single-handedly drag them to the CL. But they're too good a side already for that to happen.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Hope not.

I'd love to see Monaco pull it off again, or Lyon or Marseille step up. Unlikely of course, PSG are practically unstoppable in that league with or without Neymar.

peridigm

He'll be remembered for this saga but forgotten for his football. His only chance of winning Ballon d'or was when Brazil hosted the WC. Wasn't gonna win it as long as Messi and Ronaldo are still playing. Tearing it up in the French league carries as much clout as tearing it up in Germany. It's a one team league now.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yes, they have an even better chance with him in the squad. But one shouldn't forget that they already have very good players, guys like Verratti are very hard to come by and their management will continue to bring in talents like the aforementioned one.

So, it's not him pulling a Maradona here, but nonetheless an impressive achievement.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Incidentally does anyone know how physically tough Ligue 1 is?

Is he more likely to kicked around or is it the same poofy theatre class that La Liga is?

izec

They will win it in the next 3 years, you can quote me on that. They will spend like crazy til they win it, next summer another one or two top players if it has to be

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Is he more likely to kicked around or is it the same poofy theatre class that La Liga is?
I think the physicality there is overrated. Neymar should have no trouble scoring goals for fun.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Its more physical yeah but it won't be a huge difference. Neymar is used to it.

Inter Yer Nan

No. The money PSG throws around means that if they don't win it it's a disaster apart from the money. It's not remotely an underdog story like Maradona and Napoli where he turned down bigger money to play and stay there.

PSG winning the Champions League is a bit meh who cares? A bit like City winning the league.

krazyrobus

Napoli won shit before and after Maradona, so nope, not at all like PSG.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Interesting topic for discussion. I'd say if Neymar succeeds in leading PSG to European glory, something which they crave the most, it would definitely be a significant achievement. For all the money that they've splurged and the talents that they have amongst their ranks, they've always fell short for various reasons (inexperience/misfortune etc) and have never gone past the quarter-final stages over the past few seasons, are lacking that extra spark to just take the final step.

Would it be comparable to the feats of Maradona's or any of the greats that you've listed in the OP though? Nowhere near, in my opinion. PSG have one of the best squads in Europe with a star studded cast and whilst Neymar could very well be their crown jewel, they are already one of the best sides in Europe with a considerable pedigree and European record in recent history. Apart from Real, Barcelona and Bayern (debatable with their current make-up) there aren't many sides whom you can say are definitely better than PSG, with the exception of Atletico perhaps.

So, it would be a great achievement but not a monumental one. I'd rate Atletico reaching the finals as a more significant feat than PSG winning it, but that's definitely subjective and open to debate.

paulscholes18

Strange comparison, Neymar been signed to help them win the champions league (something Maradona never won)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No, I don't think that they are strong enough defensively

It also remains to be seen how neymar will settle with a huge pressure and whether the team will pull together

Lastly I don't think neymar is that extraordinary on his own to achieve it

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Interesting topic for discussion. I'd say if Neymar succeeds in leading PSG to European glory, something which they crave the most, it would definitely be a significant achievement. For all the money that they've splurged and the talents that they have amongst their ranks, they've always fell short for various reasons (inexperience/misfortune etc) and have never gone past the quarter-final stages over the past few seasons, are lacking that extra spark to just take the final step.

Would it be comparable to the feats of Maradona's or any of the greats that you've listed in the OP though? Nowhere near, in my opinion.
PSG have one of the best squads in Europe with a star studded cast and whilst Neymar could very well be their crown jewel, they are already one of the best sides in Europe with a considerable pedigree and European record in recent history. Apart from Real, Barcelona and Bayern (debatable with their current make-up) there aren't many sides whom you can say are definitely better than PSG, with the exception of Atletico perhaps.

So, it would be a great achievement but not a monumental one. I'd rate Atletico reaching the finals as a more significant feat than PSG winning it, but that's definitely subjective and open to debate.
The run-on from the first paragraph to the second is precisely why it would catapult Neymar into another stratosphere if his purchase coincided with them winning the CL - that's the stuff of legends, and history, in the longer term, would cement the narrative of 'Neymar's PSG' just as it has done with the aforementioned players and does with the elite of today.

I don't think of PSG when I think of elite European squads or xi's, tbh. Real Madrid, Bayern (squads), Barca and Atletico (xi's) are far beyond them and are enough there to be the generic 4 who make up the semi-finalists, as they have done for the majority of the last few years. I don't think Neymar's arrival changes that, either, or at the least, he will have to prove himself as a consummate star all over again to make it so.

Of course, if PSG can add some more of the elite to their ranks, the likelihood of them lifting the trophy soon(ish) will rise as they would soon be par with the aforementioned sides as an xi or squad, but for now, with what they have? I think it would be a tremendous feat for them to suddenly rise to the level of CL champions and once the furore about the fee and the financial doping dies down, Neymar's star would rise even further.

cyberman

@matherto
They routinely score goals in the CL, they crumble under the stick or twist pressure that CL football brings.
Maybe they have Celtics problem of not being under that pressure week in, week out and panic a bit when an elite side aren't giving them an easy out.
Personally Ive never seen them be eliminated and think their finishing in front of goal let them down

notcool

Supports
a
Him joining PSG is nothing like Maradona joining PSG. PSG have been relevant on the euro scene for years now while even after acquiring Maradona Napoli were still a pretty poor side.
They must have had a lot of money though. How else would they be able to pay a world record fee?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The run-on from the first paragraph to the second is precisely why it would catapult Neymar into another stratosphere if his purchase coincided with them winning the CL - that's the stuff of legends, and history, in the longer term, would cement the narrative of 'Neymar's PSG' just as it has done with the aforementioned players and does with the elite of today.

I don't think of PSG when I think of elite European squads or xi's, tbh. Real Madrid, Bayern (squads), Barca and Atletico (xi's) are far beyond them and are enough there to be the generic 4 who make up the semi-finalists, as they have done for the majority of the last few years. I don't think Neymar's arrival changes that, either, or at the least, he will have to prove himself as a consummate star all over again to make it so.

Of course, if PSG can add some more of the elite to their ranks, the likelihood of them lifting the trophy soon(ish) will rise as they would soon be par with the aforementioned sides as an xi or squad, but for now, with what they have? I think it would be a tremendous feat for them to suddenly rise to the level of CL champions and once the furore about the fee and the financial doping dies down, Neymar's star would rise even further.
Fair enough, I'm more curious as to whether he can spark a change of hearts for the South American contigency and Spain, Portugal (as a stepping stone of sorts) have always been the favoured destinations for the average promising South American youth player. If Neymar manages to bring more exposure to the league and perhaps even get more top tier South American youngsters and internationals playing there, it'd definitely be interesting and a major coup for the Ligue 1. Doubt it myself though.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
If he wins UCL with them (I think they have league for granted now) and a World Cup with Brazil it could even be seen as something of the same caliber of what Maradonna did back then.

RooneyLegend

They must have had a lot of money though. How else would they be able to pay a world record fee?
They had to get a bank loan to pull it off. However i was really referring to their level of play.

Last edited:

Fenomeno9

Fair enough, I'm more curious as to whether he can spark a change of hearts for the South American contigency and Spain, Portugal (as a stepping stone of sorts) have always been the favoured destinations for the average promising South American youth player. If Neymar manages to bring more exposure to the league and perhaps even get more top tier South American youngsters and internationals playing there, it'd definitely be interesting and a major coup for the Ligue 1. Doubt it myself though.
It happen before Neymar to be honest. Thiago Maia recently moved there. Gabriel Boschilla, Malcom, Jorge, Jemerson, Wallace just to name a few.