So, how about that Varane + Martinez partnership?

Superunknown

This is the best centre back partnership we've had since Rio and Vidic. No doubt about it. I'm so happy.

RoyH1

They just work so much better together than Maguire and Varane ever did.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I’m hoping the threat of being deemed redundant would kickstart Maguire into some form for the league cup matches

Sublime Varane and Martinez partnership. But if one of both get injured, we’re screwed

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This is the best centre back partnership we've had since Rio and Vidic. No doubt about it. I'm so happy.
It feels great to have reliable CBs, doesn't it? Makes it possible to grind out 1-0 results .

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Varane is such a class player. He makes the game look simple which is a mark of a great player. LM and Malacia both already look like great signings, not bad for two players from a supposedly week league!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'm liking it. Physical attributes are great but nothing beats football iq. Upgrade our keeper and right back and suddenly our defense becomes sturdy af.

Superunknown

It feels great to have reliable CBs, doesn't it? Makes it possible to grind out 1-0 results .
Oh man, it's fantastic. It's just as well, because we don't look like scoring too many goals at the other end. Think 1-0 is a score line we'll see again quite often this season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Profile wise, they have the potential to be an upgraded version of Blind / Smalling - aka our best CB pairing since 2013.

Martinez is maybe only slightly worse than Blind on the ball but he’s faster, stronger, and more aggressive. Both good ball playing lefties. Varane has the same height, pace, as Smalling, whilst basically being better than Smalling at everything else.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Havin these 2 at the back instantly make me feel more relaxed! Glad they got a clean sheet today, will make ten Hag keep picking them going forward. Great partnership so far and will only get better.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Oh man, it's fantastic. It's just as well, because we don't look like scoring too many goals at the other end. Think 1-0 is a score line we'll see again quite often this season.
We don’t seem to have a clinical striker do we. Ronaldos out of form and doesn’t get in the team at the minute. Think we’re relying on more goals from midfielder because Rashford won’t get 20+

JeffFromHK

We need to sell Maguire and replace him with a solider 8/10 right foot CB suitable to play on highline and is tall enough

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Tell me about it. That first Mou's Chelsea is the best on doing it. Once they scored, might as well quit the game because their defence (including DM) was almost impenetrable.

Superunknown

We don’t seem to have a clinical striker do we. Ronaldos out of form and doesn’t get in the team at the minute. Think we’re relying on more goals from midfielder because Rashford won’t get 20+
Completely agree. I'm more worried about where the next goal is coming from rather than us defensively. With Martinez and Varane looking great at the back, I hope we can get someone in at the other end.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
There was one hesitation near the end when Martinez let the ball go and didn't spot the run from behind but the next time he will cover that I am sure. Except that his aerial play seemed as good as anyones and no problem with height. Just wished he showed more quality on the ball we needed today, but obviously having McTominay tryna complete his usual 3-4 passes per first half because he's hiding like a coward behind players didn't help in the build up at all..

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Keep in mind that they have just met like a month ago? and played together 2 times in PL.
I guess you don't need a lot of time when you're both good defenders with actual know how.

mav_9me

Those are the wins that determine your final position. Esp for a team like ours who are lacking in attack.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Only injuries can disrupt this partnership, Martinez and Varane really complement each other.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Too good. So so so good. Looking a great investment of the CB pair to upgrade Lindelof and Maguire.

suheilsworld

These are the games where we used to lose from a drawing position and draw from
Winning positions. Having a reliable partnership really helps grind those results and it adds up to the league position at the end of the season

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Those are the wins that determine your final position. Esp for a team like ours who are lacking in attack.
Absolutely. There were times when we won with those narrow scoreline under Fergie to win the League.

FerociousCorgis

Still think we should just rock lindelof as 3rd CB and just sell maguire to Chelsea for pulisic and enough cash to add another squad player

jackal&hyde

No Maguire, no problem
Doesn't look good for him.

Martinez is very good and with A+ attitude and Varane is a Rolls Royce. We must pray to all the known gods that Varane stays fit and we have one of the best defensive duos in football IMO.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Two games sitting deep so far. OK, but nothing to get carried away about. Southampton's CBs were more impressive today.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It’s absolutely fantastic, until Varane inevitably gets injured.