So, how about that Varane + Martinez partnership?

TsuWave

Pretty good huh?

Martinez going tight, Varane sweeping and organising :drool:

The way Varane led and ensured everyone stayed switched on - have not seen this since Rio/Vida days from any of our CB's.

Oh, and not excuses about them needing a sweeping keeper or whatever to play well.

Just got to hope Varane stays fit. We might need to handle him like Spurs used to do Ledley King

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

With Casemiro shielding the Martinez assaults that’s a top partnership potentially. Martinez on the ball is :drool:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Varane really showed up tonight. Think he was putting on a show for Casemiro who he’s been texting daily to come through

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
It was nice to have a partnership where the "senior" player didn't lose control of his bowls several times when the ball came within 10 feet of him, I must admit.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That was the Varane we thought we bought last year. We really need him to stay fit. It’s actually mad that we’ve bought so many defenders the last few years and our third/fourth choices are such a massive drop off in quality.

Someone

Something
Should be the default partnership going forward. Both have been brilliant in every aspect of the game.

Ekeke

Looks good and Casemiro will help. Varane looks a bit awkward with the ball at times like he cant choose which foot to kick the ball with but other than that it looks good

Lyng

Fantastic. As expected they where excellent. Thats what happens when you have quality players with real spirit and fire.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
They were just excited that Maguire ain't playing. The bench was grim on the contrast.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Looking absolutely great. We all knew that this will be our first pair. Top quality.
That was joy to watch

Superunknown

That's centre back sorted, imo. With those 2, we have everything we need. Completely agree that the major issue will be keeping Varane fit. That'll be down to the coaching staff and ensuring that we don't take the piss in training with him.

Crashoutcassius

I think it was an easier game to play Vs sitting deeper. They are prob our best partnership for the small number of games varane will be fit though. You wonder since we aren't winning the league is varane could be extensively rested in the second half of the season to try help with a cup run

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Easily our best CB pairing but won't be long before Varane's injured

Mental that it feels like we still need another CB (though clearly Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly all need to be sold as well)

DanielofLeyland

It shows the respect they obviously have for Maguire that they don't try and organise like this when he is on the field because there is the expectation he does it.

We should see Varane and Martinez as our first choice partnership and hopefully convince Maguire to quietly relinquish his role as captain (even if he keeps the armband ceremonially) to aide the team. It will improve his performances because he will be called upon this season when Varane undoubtedly gets injured. If he can't do it for the team then he doesnt deserve to be in the side.

hobbers

If Varane can stay fit this is out first choice partnership forever

Not just the communication but also the way they covered for each other and kept the ball between themselves.

Unlike Maguire, Shaw and AWB they know how to pass without inviting pressure and giving hospital balls to each other

prateik

Hope Varane stays fit..
We havent had a good CB partnership in a very long time.. Hope this one works out

Guapa

Beautiful .

Just got to wrap Varane in cotton wool between games.And we've still got Carlos to start in front of them :drool:

Irwin99

As much as I loved Martinez's performance and had him as my MotM I felt Varane was the glue that held it all together, especially in the first half.

EtH pretty much said it, they're both just quicker than Maguire and against lightning fast Premier League forwards that always helps (obviously). Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It is fantastic. And I can only imagine how awesome it will be when Varane's old friend Casemiro plays in front of them.

That said, Varane is very injury-prone so I am afraid we may not see this partnership too often, but when Varane is out, I'd rather see Martinez-Bailly than Maguire or Lindelof playing.

Just my 2c

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Hallelujah, pack Brexit FC in the bin.

Winrar

Varane just needs to stay fit.

Maguire? He either improves, or plays second fiddle and get out if he doesn't like his new role.

Okey

They made the manager's selection going forward easy on the evidence of tonight. We haven't looked this solid and organised in a long time. They need to wrap Varane in cotton wool.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Can take time for these partnerships to blossom but they seemed to instantly click. They've got to be our first choice pairing right now.

matys

I loved that high five with Dalot in the first half, after the latter made a successful tackle. Would love to see a clip of it again

Castia

Let’s pray Varane stays fit

Varane Martinez
Casamiro

Should be brilliant

saik

Sell Maguire to Chelsea NOW! Everyone will realize he is an oaf and we won't get any decent offers. Replace him with N'Dicka or Lacroix. We will be gold with Varane/Martinez as the starting partnership with some good backup.

Lentwood

Both great individually, thought that was Varane's best game for us.

That said, the forwards/midfield made life easier for them with their work-rate. That's the bit we cannot lose. Whoever plays at CB, the team ahead of them must match that effort and energy

fergosaurus

This is the way forward if we want to play progressive football. They compliment each other very well.

A-man

Thought it looked very good today. Martinez need someone who can defend behind him and Varane someone who can be aggressive, and they completed each other excellently today. However only one game and probably a game that suited both perfectly, plus Varane- can he stay fit… let’s wait and see.

(Also was a bit surprised Liverpool didn’t really press us as they normally to do)