g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

So let's talk about Eddie Howe....

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I never said that.

I'm saying that it shouldn't be at United. I don't even dislike him. But the hallmark of many a great United teams were great defenses (But not necessarily defensive) . His teams hardly impress in that regards.
I disagree about the defensive reasoning, but I completely agree with you that he shouldn’t get the United job. I’m a massive supporter of Howe and rate him very highly, but the United job is the biggest footballing opportunity in England, and one of the biggest in sport period. I think it’d be crazy for Howe to go straight from Bournemouth to United. Ole is a special case as he has a connection to the club and has been able to have a settling in period as caretaker manager where he’s shone.

As a supporter of a club in a similar position I would much rather be watching a side play the way Bournemouth do and have a couple of fantastic results like the Chelsea one although can get trounced by the top clubs than show up each week and look absolutely turd ala Everton while spending much less. In that regard he's doing very well with the club he's at and punching well above his weight in the overall way the club is run and performing. As is continuously said within this thread, the only black mark against him so far is that he is continously thumped by the top sides and until that changes he should keep learning with Bournemouth.
Fully agree with this. Part of the reason I loved Swansea’s climb up the divisions and the first few seasons in the prem was the passing football played, I would never have traded that for Pulis style stability.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Conceding 4 again, holes everywhere against arsenal. He needs serious work on the defensive side.

el3mel

As we said a lot he's definitely a decent manager but anyone thinking he's ready for a big job has to have a serious luck at himself in the mirror. Maybe 4-5 years from now when he learns how to defend.

AJ10

As I said before, he only has 1 tactic and that's it. Doesn't seem to know how to play differently vs certain teams.

Bojan11

It’s just you attack and we attack. Unless big teams have a off day it ain’t going to work. He is tactically naive.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Watford the 7th placed side conceded 5 against Liverpool. Everyone but, Wolves have struggled against the top 6 this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As we said a lot he's definitely a decent manager but anyone thinking he's ready for a big job has to have a serious luck at himself in the mirror. Maybe 4-5 years from now when he learns how to defend.
Wonder if Leicester considered him. Guess Rodgers was their number one coach but that's the sort of jump he needs to make as Leicester have more possibilities to finish top 8 than Bournemouth.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Wonder if Leicester considered him. Guess Rodgers was their number one coach but that's the sort of jump he needs to make as Leicester have more possibilities to finish top 8 than Bournemouth.
I do not think he would leave Bournemouth midseason. He should wait for the Spurs job to open up or maybe the Everton job if they continue to spend money.

Irrational.

One of the most naive and stubborn managers in the league.

He willingly allows his teams to be rogered by teams that play better football than his, and refuses to change his style of play. Serves him right.

It will be typical if he randomly decides to turn up for the City game this weekend.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
More excuses for him.

Only Cardiff and Fulham have conceded more.
Unlike Cardiff and Fulham Bournemouth will stay up comfortable which is a huge accomplishment for them considering where they came from and that is the only part that really matters for them.

Brightonian

His naivety is staggering. You can't be the manager of Barcelona and expect to just win every game with the same lovely Plan A, let alone Bournemouth. If I was a club owner I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.

Bojan11

His naivety is staggering. You can't be the manager of Barcelona and expect to just win every game with the same lovely Plan A, let alone Bournemouth. If I was a club owner I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.
His signings are questionable too. Solanke for like £20m. Ibe for like £15m.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Lads, we have some injuries and we are away to a much better team known for destroying teams with a high line. So let's keep it right and be difficult to break down.
No, not this guy, it's all or nothing, go big or go home. His game management is abysmal. Six of thier last seven losses have been by at least two goals. He knows nothing about keeping things tight.
Naive cnut.
Stand by every word. Away to a better team, guaranteed to get thumped.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
People would have said the same about Solskjaer until he was given the opportunity.

Marcus

I did say consider Howe, but I was desperate for a change from Jose's dead football. The thing which goes against him is the lingering question of mental strength. Him having been homesick away from Bournemouth and all.

Last edited:

el3mel

People would have said the same about Solskjaer until he was given the opportunity.
Ole can set his team to defend and defend pretty well too.

The harsh reality is no big club is going to touch a manager who can't organize his defense. The guy is decent and can become a good manager in 4-5 years but at the moment no chance for him in top 6 teams. Just because he can deal with young talents and attack well isn't enough at the level of such club.

Still too much work for him and he needs a more reasonable jump to a team who finishes 7th or 8th first.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Premier League would be more interesting if there were more British/Irish managers like Eddie Howe.
Absolutely, he's a credit to the league, well I don't really care about the nationality of the manager but I really rate Howe. Bournemouth are comfortably midtable and play some great stuff. They have a small wage bill (comparatively) and have a lot of British players. At the moment they're struggling a bit with injuries too, their defensive leader and captain is out, their best midfielder is out, their best striker is out. Hasn't been able to use Solanke much either so the jury is out on him, but his transfer market work isn't the best.

Ole can set his team to defend and defend pretty well too.

The harsh reality is no big club is going to touch a manager who can't organize his defense. The guy is decent and can become a good manager in 4-5 years but at the moment no chance for him in top 6 teams. Just because he can deal with young talents and attack well isn't enough at the level of such club.

Still too much work for him and he needs a more reasonable jump to a team who finishes 7th or 8th first.
Can't speak for his time at Molde but I followed him closely at Cardiff due to the rivalry and this wasn't true.
In 18 PL games he conceded 42 goals. Even when they dropped to the championship and he was able to bring loads of players in (around 10), they were still leaking goals everywhere. Just checking his Molde stats now and defensively they're not impressive, considering they dominated the league (183 games 222 goals conceded, if the stats are accurate). So from that I gather that Solskjaer could not set his team to defend well until he was given an opportunity at a big club. When you have a less than stellar side, it's very hard to set up a good defense without affecting your attacking play.

This isn't to this shit on Solskjaer, what he's doing at United is incredible, it's brilliant to watch and I don't think any other manager in the world would have had the same impact he has. I'm just pointing out that pretty much all the criticism being levelled at Howe would all be applicable to Solskjaer, but Solskjaer was given a chance and ran with it.

Edit: I don't disagree that Howe shouldn't go straight to a top job, Bournemouth is a very small club without disrespect, their stadium holds about 10k, I think it'd be very tough going from a small club to a gigantic one, so an inbetween step is probably the best option.

Last edited:

el3mel

Absolutely, he's a credit to the league, well I don't really care about the nationality of the manager but I really rate Howe. Bournemouth are comfortably midtable and play some great stuff. They have a small wage bill (comparatively) and have a lot of British players. At the moment they're struggling a bit with injuries too, their defensive leader and captain is out, their best midfielder is out, their best striker is out. Hasn't been able to use Solanke much either so the jury is out on him, but his transfer market work isn't the best.

Can't speak for his time at Molde but I followed him closely at Cardiff due to the rivalry and this wasn't true.
In 18 PL games he conceded 42 goals. Even when they dropped to the championship and he was able to bring loads of players in (around 10), they were still leaking goals everywhere. Just checking his Molde stats now and defensively they're not impressive, considering they dominated the league (183 games 222 goals conceded, if the stats are accurate). So from that I gather that Solskjaer could not set his team to defend well until he was given an opportunity at a big club. When you have a less than stellar side, it's very hard to set up a good defense without affecting your attacking play.

This isn't to this shit on Solskjaer, what he's doing at United is incredible, it's brilliant to watch and I don't think any other manager in the world would have had the same impact he has. I'm just pointing out that pretty much all the criticism being levelled at Howe would all be applicable to Solskjaer, but Solskjaer was given a chance and ran with it.

Edit: I don't disagree that Howe shouldn't go straight to a top job, Bournemouth is a very small club without disrespect, their stadium holds about 10k, I think it'd be very tough going from a small club to a gigantic one, so an inbetween step is probably the best option.
Cardiff is a relegation fodder who fights for relegation , while Bournemouth is near midtable club with secured place in the middle. This comparison doesn't work.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Cardiff is a relegation fodder who fights for relegation , and while Bournemouth is near midtable club with secured place in the middle. This comparison doesn't work.
The reason why Howe gets credit is because Bournemouth should be relegation fodder who fights for relegation.

el3mel

The reason why Howe gets credit is because Bournemouth should be relegation fodder who fights for relegation.
And no one is saying he's a crap manager, so ? All people are saying is he's simply not ready for a top 6 club job now. Maybe 5-6 years later but definitely not now.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
The Ole comparisons are silly. Ole has come in and improved a Mourinho defense that was leaking goals left right and centre.

Howe has consistently shown that he can't really coach a defense. No matter the excuses. I doubt he will be anywhere the United job. And that's enough for me.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I am a fan of his but sometimes I think he's either a) a bit tactically naive or b) unwilling to play a more pragmatic style. It seems when Bournemouth win they look like a top half team, but when they lose they get battered (I've only seen a handful of their matches tbf). I still think he can eventually manage a top 6 side as his style seems better suited for a team with top class talent. I have a feeling he will be at Bournemouth unless there is a justifiable reason to sack him. He seems like a loyal bloke.

Josh 76

Most overrated manager in the premier league. If he wasn't English, people would be asking why isn't he sacked yet.

Selbourne

Most overrated manager in the premier league. If he wasn't English, people would be asking why isn't he sacked yet.
Ah the if he's not english debate.

If you had or did some knowledge on Howe, you'll understand why he's doing such a good job there and isn't remotely sack worthy.

Robbie Boy

He seems to have constant excuses made for him while his team have really struggled to push on to any great extent since being promoted.

Champagne Football

Pochettino looks like he wants to stick around Spurs for a few more years to develop the super kids they have coming through such as Winks, Parrot, Skipp etc

Ole looks like he's gonna be around for a good while to build the next great team with Greenwood, Garner etc

Everton might need a new manager soon and that would be a good next step for Howe. Both Ole and Pochettino have had teams hammered by big scoreline in the past. It's all learning and Howe will learn

Classical Mechanic

He isn't adaptable it seems but then neither is Pep. I believe that if Howe was given a squad of top players suited to his system then his side would be a real force.

He took a decimated squad to Arsenal and stuck to his principles, the result wasn't a surprise.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The excuses don't wash. Even Pep and Klopp are pragmatic when they need to be.
When a team gets mauled every third game, you have to ask questions of the manager. No one is saying he's a poor coach, he's obviously not. It's either they win or they lose by a lot. You think top clubs won't be concerned with that? A top coach has to know how to defend, it's really simple.