So now what happens to Karim Benzema? | Hat-tricks, lots of hat-tricks

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
We signed Michael Owen. Feck them.
That was the real start of our decline. We could have won 6-8+ titles in a row without the parasite glazer family

Fergie sticking up for them leaves a bad taste in my mouth

antk

Was invisible today. Infact, misplaced many easy passes and messed up the hold up play.
A few bad choices, most notably in the last quarter but overall he had a fantastic hold up play, can't agree at all with your viewpoint.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Infinitely better than Lewandowski against PSG in 2020.
Not sure how that relates to this...especially when I mentioned he deserves all the accolades for an amazing season overall...
Whatever helps you sleep at night though. :lol:

SungSam7

Probably over money

We were the best team in Europe at the time and Real Madrid in the doldrums. But they had the Florentino Perez chequebook and we had the glazers
Wouldnt say that! Didnt they sign him in 2009 with Kaka and Ronaldo?

Why would he choose us at that stage, that Madrid team became a force on paper in the space of 2 months. Yeah of course he would have got a nice salary, but there were the ambitions of winning cups too

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
A few bad choices, most notably in the last quarter but overall he had a fantastic hold up play, can't agree at all with your viewpoint.
In the first half he was isolated and starved of service for a long time.

He looked a bit like he was playing through pain or a minor knock today.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Probably over money

We were the best team in Europe at the time and Real Madrid in the doldrums. But they had the Florentino Perez chequebook and we had the glazers
No he wanted to play for Real Madrid who are his second team after Lyon. He even had an agreement with Aulas regarding Real Madrid.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Was invisible today. Infact, misplaced many easy passes and messed up the hold up play.
Jaysus, tough crowd or what? I thought he was very very good. Worked his balks off. Hold up play terrific and tracked back constantly. One of the most unselfish forward in the game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh not having that. His hold up play was incredible for the most part and he was feeding off of complete scraps. People have ridiculous expectations when it comes to holding the ball up.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeh not having that. His hold up play was incredible for the most part and he was feeding off of complete scraps. People have ridiculous expectations when it comes to holding the ball up.
His hold up play was incredible. So many times he was isolated but he Still managed to trap difficult clearances or one touch pass to a helping teammate. People think if you're not out here holding off 4 defenders by yourself like prime Drogba then you can't hold up properly.

antk

Class gesture to let Marcelo lift the trophy btw. Healthy atmosphere in this locker room.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
His hold up play was incredible. So many times he was isolated but he Still managed to trap difficult clearances or one touch pass to a helping teammate. People think if you're not out here holding off 4 defenders by yourself like prime Drogba then you can't hold up properly.
Exactly. I just don’t think people realise how hard it is to not only take a brilliant first touch, but then also be able to turn, find your man and retain the ball and he did that in all areas of the pitch today. Obviously there will be occasions where you get it wrong and make the wrong decision but the consistency with with Benzema brings his team into the game is truly something to behold.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Wouldnt say that! Didnt they sign him in 2009 with Kaka and Ronaldo?

Why would he choose us at that stage, that Madrid team became a force on paper in the space of 2 months. Yeah of course he would have got a nice salary, but there were the ambitions of winning cups too
??They were absolute shit at that time and had just gotten thumped by barca 6_2 while we were probably the best or second best team in Europe.

Also Madrid era didn't really kick in until Mourinho gone there and even then it took Ancelotti till 2014 to kick start their European dominance.

In hinds he absolutely took the right decision but it wasn't always like this.

Jibbs

He did. Everyone was hyping Ben Arfa. But SAF wanted Benz. He chose Real.

SAF knew a striker.
SAF really messed up the whole team by signing Berbatov instead of Tevez in 08. Rooney Tevez and Nani would have achieved much more together and we might have gotten a quality mid and a striker earlier.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
SAF really messed up the whole team by signing Berbatov instead of Tevez in 08. Rooney Tevez and Nani would have achieved much more together and we might have gotten a quality mid and a striker earlier.
He thought he could mould Berbatov in his image but he was wrong.

Definitely one of his more expensive mistakes in the transfer market.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
No he wanted to play for Real Madrid who are his second team after Lyon. He even had an agreement with Aulas regarding Real Madrid.
Didn't know that.

Oh well :( Michael Owen it is then...:(

MrEleson

??They were absolute shit at that time and had just gotten thumped by barca 6_2 while we were probably the best or second best team in Europe.

Also Madrid era didn't really kick in until Mourinho gone there and even then it took Ancelotti till 2014 to kick start their European dominance.

In hinds he absolutely took the right decision but it wasn't always like this.
They didn’t win it until 2014 but they were a European heavyweight again as early as 2010/11; unlucky not to make the final from 11-13.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They didn’t win it until 2014 but they were a European heavyweight again as early as 2010/11; unlucky not to make the final from 11-13.
Not really I would day they were unlucky only in 2012 against bayern and even in that game bayern showed more attacking intent.
2011 they were outclassed by barca and in 2013 they shouldn't have even made it that far.

But yeah Mourinho definitely deserves a ton of credit for turning around their European fortunes around, in some ways he was the architect of their success..

bakalhau

One of the greatest comebacks ever IMO by a player. Everyone thought after Ronaldo he was also gone, as for years most(including me) saw him as someone who played for Madrid, only because he is a perfect foil for Ronaldo. But he has proven us all wrong, and shown he can be the best player in the world. Absolutely monster mentality. Ballon d'or for sure, whether Madrid wins UCL or not or even if Messi or Ronaldo win World Cup. Just hope he beats the dippers, we cannot have Liverpool becoming the team to have joint second most UCLs. Real Madrid can have 14, who cares.
It's only a comeback in public perception because he was always a great player yet was mostly mauled by the press and many madrid and non madrid fans, at least in my own opinion he was always a great player. Yes he had 2 bad seasons in terms of goalscoring, but I didn't think even once I wanted him out of the club. He contributed a lot and had ridiculous chemistry with Ronaldo (and vice versa). Following Ronaldo after he left RM, I cannot tell you how many times I've missed Benzema, having to go through watching players like Morata. I would take him in a heartbeat at United tomorrow, I don't care about age.

Obviously, and with that said, my opinion is worth no more than anyone else's. It's actually going to be incredible to see him lift the BdOr. Quite ironic Benzema gets to be the next French player to get it, instead of, say, Mbappé.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Best player in the world, he already was before today's game but today's victory should make it more clear to whomever still wants to give it to Messi.

Everyone keeps saying we've been winning against the thougher teams out of luck but this guy has been unreal and it makes a massive difference to have a player like him in the best form of his life.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
It's only a comeback in public perception because he was always a great player yet was mostly mauled by the press and many madrid and non madrid fans, at least in my own opinion he was always a great player. Yes he had 2 bad seasons in terms of goalscoring, but I didn't think even once I wanted him out of the club. He contributed a lot and had ridiculous chemistry with Ronaldo (and vice versa). Following Ronaldo after he left RM, I cannot tell you how many times I've missed Benzema, having to go through watching players like Morata. I would take him in a heartbeat at United tomorrow, I don't care about age.

Obviously, and with that said, my opinion is worth no more than anyone else's. It's actually going to be incredible to see him lift the BdOr. Quite ironic Benzema gets to be the next French player to get it, instead of, say, Mbappé.

I think I wasn't eloquent enough. I didn't said he wasn't a great player or important for Real even during Ronaldo days. I meant comeback in the sense returning to his potential reaching as he was tipped off during younger days. I mean come on, no matter how much big of a fan you are, even you would have never thought he would have carried Real Madrid in the way he did after Ronaldo's departure and Bale not stepping up as he was tipped off post Ronaldo and Hazard being a waste of space.

For me it is about realising his potential as a teenager in such old age(footballing age). he was basically as much hyped as Rooney was in football circles to be a Balloon Dor contender, while Rooney was finished by late twenties as a top player, Benzema from top player became among the best(or the best) in the world in late age. How many players after winning 4 UCL have that kind of motivation, very few. Hence the use of the word comeback in the sense, by his age most of the players do not go back to fulfilling the potential they showed as a young teenager.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thought Salah played better in Final, but Ben was still incredible.

DevilRed

Top player and just a winner.

Distinctly remember we were desperate to sign him all those years ago. But Madrid beat us to him

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Best player in the world, he already was before today's game but today's victory should make it more clear to whomever still wants to give it to Messi.

Everyone keeps saying we've been winning against the thougher teams out of luck but this guy has been unreal and it makes a massive difference to have a player like him in the best form of his life.

Yeah, he is the best player in the world, i hope he wins ballon d'or.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Will this be a unanimous Ballon D'Or??? Who will not vote for him???

Schneckerl

Will this be a unanimous Ballon D'Or??? Who will not vote for him???
There will never be a unanimous Ballon D'Or with the current voting system. Somebody will vote for some random player even with journos from only the top 100 countries eligible (FF changed it this year).