So then, new season approaches

djemba's arse

Impossible to predict. The top four are about as evenly matched as I can remember them ever being.

Huge question marks about how we'll cope without Ronaldo, Chelsea haven't really strengthened (and they're not getting any younger that team), can't see Liverpool having as much joy against the other three as they did last year, and Arsenal could possibly find the form of the 07/08 season again if they stay clear of injuries (though I believe the loss of Adebayor is underrated).

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Hello manc halfwits

What's the general conscensus on the Caf re next season's title? Confident of retaining the title or is it Liverpool or Chelseas year?
Alright loser.

Impossible to know what shape we're in really, but should think we'll challenge at very least as we have the strongest squad, even if there are a few question marks over our quality in midfield. You won't be doing the double over us again.

Can't see Liverpool winning the title unless Torres and Gerrard stay injury free for the whole season. Your first XI is very strong, but you don't have enough backup.

Danish Voice

City will be unbeatable. They'll win it the game against Liverpool in November

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Davo as you say we might not really have had the summer we expected, but all I'll say is a deal is being worked on. I'll say no more.

Jens' Face

An Arse
Hello manc halfwits
It's funny because it's true

If pool keep their starting XI together, I think they're fractionally the best bet of an uncertain bunch for the title.

Am I the only one who thinks the Ancelloti era at Chelsea is going to be completely underwhelming? Just what my gut says.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Impossible to predict. The top four are about as evenly matched as I can remember them ever being.

Huge question marks about how we'll cope without Ronaldo, Chelsea haven't really strengthened (and they're not getting any younger that team), can't see Liverpool having as much joy against the other three as they did last year, and Arsenal could possibly find the form of the 07/08 season again if they stay clear of injuries (though I believe the loss of Adebayor is underrated).
He wasn't particularly close to being our best player last season, so I'm not convinced he'll be as big a loss as most on here are predicting. Had we lost him after either of the two seasons prior to last year, it would've been more concerning.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah our attack wasn't that great last year. I'd bet on us to play with more fluency this year, and score more.

Where we may miss Ronaldo is in the tight cup & CL games towards the end of the season where he could produce something out of nothing. But if we click as a team we will be better this season. My bet would be a strong showing in the league but not so sure about the cups.

Davo has crawled out of hiding at just the right time.

For what its worth I do think there are no favourites among the top 4 at the moment. All of the teams have question marks about them which must be answered in the months ahead. Also dont rule out the threat from certain other clubs that have strengthened this summer.

I think our chances are fairly good even if we have lost 2 important players. Our strength comes from our entire squad and we still have talent in abundance. With our new signings we should be able to collectively replace any quality that has left us. Time will tell.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
You'll miss Ronaldo in both the league and Europe. He scores a daft number of goals that aren't going to be easily replaced and creates loads of space for other players

Not sure an Owen vs Johnson comparison is particularly helpful....
Yeah you're right, it's a bit too much like Zidane vs Bramble and everyone knows you can't compare them.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Yeah our attack wasn't that great last year. I'd bet on us to play with more fluency this year, and score more.

Where we may miss Ronaldo is in the tight cup & CL games towards the end of the season where he could produce something out of nothing. But if we click as a team we will be better this season. My bet would be a strong showing in the league but not so sure about the cups.
That's my only point of concern in regards to Ronaldo's departure. He was often detrimental to the overall fluency of the team last year, but there was always that ability to produce something ridiculous such as the goal against Porto.

It still makes me laugh just thinking about that goal.

Bread

Gotta be honest i don't know, even before the squad changes i thought 4 years in a row would be almost impossible, just because i can't see the other 3 big teams (+ other possible contenders like dare i say it Manchester city) not putting up a diesent fight for four years in a row, then we lost two very important players who lets be honest had we not last season then Liverpool could be on number 19. We also never really kicked off last year so with two of the players who did change games gone i would worry about if we start as poorly this season.

BUT then there is the side that maybe with a side not built around ronaldo and with newer signings settling in we may be stronger than last year or even the year before. With some intresting signings most of which arent big names we may well see some surprises and also hurt teams simply by them not knowing what they are really facing. Plus we still have an immense ammount of quality on the bench and without a standard finisher like owen on the bench would could well be seeing a similar role to what sherringham used to do for us.

Gonna be a gooden' this year i think.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
£17M for Johnson is crazy, more so on the basis that I've always thought he's rubbish at defending. That said, I've now seen him play one half of a preseason friendly and he was amazing, so I've clearly misjudged him.

You're going to miss Ronaldo more than you know, and bizarre that you've got Owen.

What I'd like to know is, how are the scousers going to feel if Owen is the lead scoring force that launches United to the title that set United apart from Pool?

Or

How will the Pool fans react to Owen scoring a brace or hat-trick against you all?

You know that shit is going to sting, a bit.;)

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Im glad that Chelsea and Liverpool have done nothing in the transfer market to concern me. They are obviously a threat to the title, but given we lost Ronaldo, a big signing by one of them could have made it look pretty hard for us to go and win 4 on the trot. As it stands I think it's very close.

There are a lot of question marks regarding United. A very young squad. One or two will need to step up. Success would be reliant on an improvement in overall play - something that United and opposition fans believed was lacking last season.

Liverpool have a solid, strong starting lineup and a couple decent subs. Growing attitude and confidence in the squad. Possibly still lacking in depth, as Gerrard and Torres are a touch injury prone. I expect them to perform consistently. Could win the league if both ourselves and Chelsea feck up - but I cant see them getting 90+ points. They were lucky to get 86 last season in my opinion. I think they are likely to get around 80 points this season.

Chelsea - again its a case of wait and see under a new manager. They have a very experienced lineup on paper - stronger than both United and Liverpool. Lots of question marks though.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Even Barry, the only world class footballer who has previously shown some interest in playing for them has told Rafa to sod off.
Pretty generous evaluation.
He wasn't as good as the previous season, but was still the top goalscorer in the league.
Actually Anelka was.

The league is up for grabs.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
We were immense last season and are going to go into the new campaign with a lot of confidence. If Torres stays fit and we keep our side together we've got a great chance
BUt won feck all again.

Spoony

The People's President
£17M for Johnson is crazy, more so on the basis that I've always thought he's rubbish at defending. That said, I've now seen him play one half of a preseason friendly and he was amazing, so I've clearly misjudged him.

You're going to miss Ronaldo more than you know, and bizarre that you've got Owen.
:lol:

Word up, Davo.

Know how you feel. I've just seen Owen score an amazing solo effort on par with his goal against Argentina and have subsequently decided that he's probably the best striker in the world and will go on to become a United legend. Christ, I can't believe we've got Michael Owen - I spent a decade disliking him with a passion and now I've totally changed my mind. He's such a lovely bloke.

And stick around, you soft cnut.

Smith's Cove

We were immense last season and are going to go into the new campaign with a lot of confidence. If Torres stays fit and we keep our side together we've got a great chance
Not quite immense enough though mate. The only way you will win the league this season is if your manager can muster up the courage to send his team out to attack and risk leaving your defence exposed. When it was shit or bust towrds the end of last season Liverpool looked very dangerous. When you were packing your midfield at home to the likes of Fulham, West Ham and Stoke you looked toothless.

B Cantona

Desperate
Ahhhh, the time of the year where Scousers convince themselves 'this is our season', I do love it

Personally, I think we'll be challenging to retain our title fiercely. If anyone does finish above us, I think they'll be champions, put it that way. And I reckon that's more likely to be Chelsea than anyone

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Liverpool: Alonso off, Macherano maybe as well but Torres may stay fit this year andwho knows which Spaniard will be signed with the Alonso dosh. So they should be a sure thing for the top 4 and a maybe again for winning.

United: Feck knows. We probably haven't finished our transfer business yet and a Torres and Essien clone would be nice. Ronaldo's absence might make us a better team or we may be below par for a season.

Chelsea: More of the same and it will largely depend on how well the manager settles in I'd guess.

These three will most likely dispute the top 3 places with Arsenal, Villa, Everton and maybe City in with a shout of 4th.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I do think Liverpool have a great chance - probably even better than last year.

As for us, well it's hard to say. I mean we do have a good squad but winning four in a row is extremely difficult. I'd love to see United do it!

Chelsea will be a contender, as will Arsenal and/or City. It really depends on what the rest of the transfer season brings.

Why do you only show up for wind ups and spastic comments Davo? Never normal football talk just bullshit. Seriously. We need some resident scousers who don't froth with hatred.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
To be fair Davo doesn't froth and it is contempt for some of the more blinkered types on here, usually just for the sport of it, rather than hatred. Not that he hasn't acrued a list of few decent posters who can't stand him.

It could be a self loathing thing since he is Welsh mind.

Or a sign of insanity since he still thinks John Barns was good player.