So then, new season approaches

Davo

Hello manc halfwits

What's the general conscensus on the Caf re next season's title? Confident of retaining the title or is it Liverpool or Chelseas year?

p_ps_sock

It's liverpools year without a doubt, the rafalution continues with the genius signing of glen johnson - the best full back I've ever seen and a bargain at £17m.

With our one man team being sold and the world beater and first team regular tevez gone to city to be replaced by an ecuadorian goat farmer and a crocked scouse reject I think we'll be lucky to avoid relegation.

Davo

Why are we down to third? Not saying it couldn't happen as I expect the top 3 to be very close this season, but strange that it seems to be so clear for you feckers

Davo

It's liverpools year without a doubt, the rafalution continues with the genius signing of glen johnson - the best full back I've ever seen and a bargain at £17m.

With our one man team being sold and the world beater and first team regular tevez gone to city to be replaced by an ecuadorian goat farmer and a crocked scouse reject I think we'll be lucky to avoid relegation.
£17M for Johnson is crazy, more so on the basis that I've always thought he's rubbish at defending. That said, I've now seen him play one half of a preseason friendly and he was amazing, so I've clearly misjudged him.

You're going to miss Ronaldo more than you know, and bizarre that you've got Owen.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Why are we down to third? Not saying it couldn't happen as I expect the top 3 to be very close this season, but strange that it seems to be so clear for you feckers
Last season it was a freakish accident you finished second but still we were always comfortably placed with seven or 10 points ahead.

This seasons for you lot its the same bunch of cretins challenging for the title again. Cannot see that happenning especially with Glen Johnson around.

Davo

So it's not true that you emigrated at the end of last season! Welcome back.

I hope you can cope with some more heartbreak next season as it would be sad to lose you while we're having so much fun.
The best thing about no longer being a regular is the inaccurate and hilarious emigrate style gags when I do pop in...

My general impression is that manc fans haven't really had the fun summer they'd have expected.

p_ps_sock

£17M for Johnson is crazy, more so on the basis that I've always thought he's rubbish at defending. That said, I've now seen him play one half of a preseason friendly and he was amazing, so I've clearly misjudged him.

You're going to miss Ronaldo more than you know, and bizarre that you've got Owen.
as I said, the best full back I've ever seen and a snip at £17m, if I was SAF I'd have ploughed at least half of the ronaldo fee into a bid for him, but I don't think he'd have come anyway as it's obvious we're on the slide and liverpool are set to dominate the next decade.

as for ronaldo I can't see us scoring a goal without him, all our play went through him and was finished off by him and I heard rumours he was in charge of getting the players kit clean so we might not even be able to put out a fully clothed team.

owen's a crocked scouse reject and the dumbest signing in the history of football and I can't believe we're going to be relying on him to win us games as our star striker.

Davo

Last season it was a freakish accident you finished second but still we were always comfortably placed with seven or 10 points ahead.

This seasons for you lot its the same bunch of cretins challenging for the title again. Cannot see that happenning especially with Glen Johnson around.
We were immense last season and are going to go into the new campaign with a lot of confidence. If Torres stays fit and we keep our side together we've got a great chance

vijay

We would miss him in the CL but Ronaldo always inspired us in comebacks when we slipped down the table during midseason. If we get off to a good start and not losing needless point I dont see any reason why we cannot win the league.

As a footballer Boy Wonder is already better than what Johnson would ever become.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
My general impression is that manc fans haven't really had the fun summer they'd have expected.
Well we have managed to wind the red half of Merseyside up without actually spending a penny on our latest signing, and we didn't spend 17million on Glen Johnson. So all in all I am quite satisfied.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
The best thing about no longer being a regular is the inaccurate and hilarious emigrate style gags when I do pop in...

If the emigrate gags were innacurate, then where were you hiding?

As far as the "fun summer" goes, you're probably right. It's not so much fun as relief that the "Will he? -Won't he? - When will he?" Ronaldo transfer speculation has been finally put to bed and we can get on with the football. Yes, also slightly disappointing that we haven't managed to attract any big names - but then neither have you so that cancels out.

vijay

We were immense last season and are going to go into the new campaign with a lot of confidence. If Torres stays fit and we keep our side together we've got a great chance
But still we were comfortably leading the table by 7 or 10 points even with less than eight games to go before we took our foot off the pedal.

Davo

We would miss him in the CL but Ronaldo always inspired us in comebacks when we slipped down the table during midseason. If we get off to a good start and not losing needless point I dont see any reason why we cannot win the league.

As a footballer Boy Wonder is already better than what Johnson would ever become.
You'll miss Ronaldo in both the league and Europe. He scores a daft number of goals that aren't going to be easily replaced and creates loads of space for other players

Not sure an Owen vs Johnson comparison is particularly helpful....

Davo

Well we have managed to wind the red half of Merseyside up without actually spending a penny on our latest signing, and we didn't spend 17million on Glen Johnson. So all in all I am quite satisfied.
You've managed to wind up a lot of your own fans without spending a penny on Owen an all.

Johnson adds something different to our side, regardless of the daft amount we've paid for him

vijay

You'll miss Ronaldo in both the league and Europe. He scores a daft number of goals that aren't going to be easily replaced and creates loads of space for other players

Not sure an Owen vs Johnson comparison is particularly helpful....
Last season Ronaldo wasnt our best player overall.

His impact was big in the CL than in the league.

Davo

If the emigrate gags were innacurate, then where were you hiding?

As far as the "fun summer" goes, you're probably right. It's not so much fun as relief that the "Will he? -Won't he? - When will he?" Ronaldo transfer speculation has been finally put to bed and we can get on with the football. Yes, also slightly disappointing that we haven't managed to attract any big names - but then neither have you so that cancels out.
Not hiding, just rarely post anymore.

It's been more about keeping big names this season for all the top 4. We've managed it so far, although big questions re Alonso still.

MrBurns

Depends how quick the new boys gel for us and if Berbawank pulls his finger out of his arse.

I actually predict a Chelsea title with 2,3 and 4 anyones shout.

Id take 2,3 or 4 next season, as we have a lot of new signings and the experience could bring the likes of Anderson and Nani on.

But I do predict we will win another title over the next 2 seasons.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Chelsea for me, then Liverpool / Utd

Make you right about Ronaldo, but you will always miss a player of that brilliance

Not to annoy people but I really believe Utd will miss Tevez's energy too gets important goals too

Cant write off Utd as Ferguson's a fking genius but I do feel it will be tighter.

Much depends on Torres fitness. If he plays 3/4 of the season then you'll be in it although the Mach and Alonso stuff needs sorting - what the latest on that ?

vijay

He wasn't as good as the previous season, but was still the top goalscorer in the league. That's a huge impact
For any top team missing a player like Ronaldo it would take two seasons to recover, but we already have a young and talented squad and this season there could be new stars in the making.

Nevertheless, you lot are still clutching at straws even to retain Mascherano or the deceased Alonso all with an outside hope of finally winning the title for once. Ironically even with these players you werent able to win anything in the last couple of seasons.

Davo

Depends how quick the new boys gel for us and if Berbawank pulls his finger out of his arse.

I actually predict a Chelsea title with 2,3 and 4 anyones shout.

Id take 2,3 or 4 next season, as we have a lot of new signings and the experience could bring the likes of Anderson and Nani on.

But I do predict we will win another title over the next 2 seasons.
Difficult to know what to make of Chelsea this coming season. Pretty much same team as last season when they looked surprisingly ropey for much of the season and have another new manager to settle in. That said, they've got a lot of ability and if Drogba's more motivated than last year they've got a good chance.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
You've managed to wind up a lot of your own fans without spending a penny on Owen an all.

Johnson adds something different to our side, regardless of the daft amount we've paid for him
Nah, I reckon most of our fans are okay with the Owen signing. Those that don't rate him as a player can still take satisfaction in knowing it's pissed the Dippers of royally.

Something different? He is a right back ffs. And he plays in a position in which you are already quite well off. Arbeloa was supposedly the best right back in the league last season if you listen to most scousers, so the signing just seems strange all round to me.

vijay

Nah, I reckon most of our fans are okay with the Owen signing. Those that don't rate him as a player can still take satisfaction in knowing it's pissed the Dippers of royally.

Something different? He is a right back ffs. And he plays in a position in which you are already quite well off. Arbeloa was supposedly the best right back in the league last season if you listen to most scousers, so the signing just seems strange all round to me.
Arbeloa is off to Real Madrid.

Johnson is the replacement Rafa has found out.

Davo

Chelsea for me, then Liverpool / Utd

Make you right about Ronaldo, but you will always miss a player of that brilliance

Not to annoy people but I really believe Utd will miss Tevez's energy too gets important goals too

Cant write off Utd as Ferguson's a fking genius but I do feel it will be tighter.

Much depends on Torres fitness. If he plays 3/4 of the season then you'll be in it although the Mach and Alonso stuff needs sorting - what the latest on that ?
I don't think they'll miss Tevez much. Losing Ronaldo's goals makes it more important to get a striker who'll "guarantee" a shedload of goals - Tevez isn't that, and neither are Rooney or Berbatov. Owen can be but we all know the risk there

Yeah Torres fitness is key, we're short of quality back up and he's obviously irreplacable anyway. Seems to have quiet on the Masch front thank feck, but Alonso's looking very ropey - will be annoying as the spine of our side doesn't need any changes! We'll have to get someone in quick if he goes

What's the reaction like to Adebayor going? Don't get that move at all

MrBurns

Difficult to know what to make of Chelsea this coming season. Pretty much same team as last season when they looked surprisingly ropey for much of the season and have another new manager to settle in. That said, they've got a lot of ability and if Drogba's more motivated than last year they've got a good chance.
Im judging Chelsea in the Hiddink era

They have a one of the top 2 squads in the league (along with us).

You boys for me still lack wingers and I still think thats your downfall, and has been for years.

Arsenal - pressure is off them Id say. No high expectations, so they may do good.

City could be the spanner in the works if they continue buying. But they wont get top 3.

Davo

It'll piss us off if he does well, if he flops we'll be delighted.

Arbeloa was class last season, didn't see enough of Johnson to say how he compared but his strength is getting forward - we need width from our full backs and he should work well with Kuyt. As long as he can actually defend probably thesedays, which I'm not entirely sure about...

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
I don't think they'll miss Tevez much. Losing Ronaldo's goals makes it more important to get a striker who'll "guarantee" a shedload of goals - Tevez isn't that, and neither are Rooney or Berbatov. Owen can be but we all know the risk there

Yeah Torres fitness is key, we're short of quality back up and he's obviously irreplacable anyway. Seems to have quiet on the Masch front thank feck, but Alonso's looking very ropey - will be annoying as the spine of our side doesn't need any changes! We'll have to get someone in quick if he goes

What's the reaction like to Adebayor going? Don't get that move at all
Frankly most gooners are glad to see the back of him - his attitude stank - made clear last summer with his will I wont I with AC Milan followed by a season of 'I could'nt careless' performances and undermining the dressing room. If its 25 mill then we're laughing. Fk him

With a fit compliment I cant see why van Persie Eduardo Walcott Vela Bendtner and especially Arshavin cannot hit the net with regularity.

Our problems are at the back no defensive holding player to help Fabs and no real leader in the back four and a bollocks keeper

If two of those positions were properly filled we'd be right in it but Wenger cant see it so........

Zen86

We've not exactly strengthened much but niether has any of the top 4 if you ask me, would'nt like to put money on it

vijay

Eh?

Rooney and Berbatov cannot get goals and you make it a point to ridicule Tevez who has scored some big goals in the last couple of seasons yet you allege your crocked up Scouse legend can score like Ronaldo. :houllier:

For the start Owen would be only an option on the bench, if Owen stays fit and if we can get 10-12 goals this season then it should be alright. Its not steep to expect 35-40 goals out of Berbatov and Rooney put together.

Davo

Im judging Chelsea in the Hiddink era

They have a one of the top 2 squads in the league (along with us).

You boys for me still lack wingers and I still think thats your downfall, and has been for years.

Arsenal - pressure is off them Id say. No high expectations, so they may do good.

City could be the spanner in the works if they continue buying. But they wont get top 3.
Yep, out wide is certainly our weakest area. There's sod all decent wingers around tho. I'd have liked to get another left sided player in, but our current formation gets us loads of goals.

Think Arsenal are still in the development stage, easy top 4 finish but can't see them winning the title.

City will be better version of themselves last season. They'll impress at times but will be too inconsistent to make the top 4

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Welcome back Davo, hope you'll be sticking round for a while this season.

Personally I'm more excited about this coming season than I have been for the last few. Getting rid of players that don't want to be here (big egos to boot) and replacing with ones that do pleases me it has to be said. Ronaldo is obviously going to be a big miss but I have no doubt that if Owen can stay fit his goals will easily be replaced. Looking forward to seeing how Valencia settles in too, reminds me a little of Kanchelskis who was always ones of my favorite players for his direct , pacy play.

As for your lot, you'll be there or there abouts, could be your best chance of the title since the last time you won it, but, alot will depend on your own injury prone striker Torres, keep him fit and anything is possible. The other big thing as mentioned is your midfield, lose Alonso, which seems highly likely to happen and I feel you are losing one of your most important players and would struggle to find anyone to replace him in this market.

fecks knows who'll win it in the end, too hard to predict this year.

Davo

Frankly most gooners are glad to see the back of him - his attitude stank - made clear last summer with his will I wont I with AC Milan followed by a season of 'I could'nt careless' performances and undermining the dressing room. If its 25 mill then we're laughing. Fk him

With a fit compliment I cant see why van Persie Eduardo Walcott Vela Bendtner and especially Arshavin cannot hit the net with regularity.

Our problems are at the back no defensive holding player to help Fabs and no real leader in the back four and a bollocks keeper

If two of those positions were properly filled we'd be right in it but Wenger cant see it so........
He did come across as a tit, think you need a decent "big man" to replace him tho. Not sure Bendter's up to it

You've got a new CB haven't you? No idea if he's any good. And yeah, surprised that you haven't got another midfielder in

Ekeke

Have a feeling that its Chelsea's title next year. Still some time for things to change with the transfer window open though - mainly for sides other than United. Think we'll come 2nd.

Davo

Welcome back Davo, hope you'll be sticking round for a while this season.

Personally I'm more excited about this coming season than I have been for the last few. Getting rid of players that don't want to be here (big egos to boot) and replacing with ones that do pleases me it has to be said. Ronaldo is obviously going to be a big miss but I have no doubt that if Owen can stay fit his goals will easily be replaced. Looking forward to seeing how Valencia settles in too, reminds me a little of Kanchelskis who was always ones of my favorite players for his direct , pacy play.

As for your lot, you'll be there or there abouts, could be your best chance of the title since the last time you won it, but, alot will depend on your own injury prone striker Torres, keep him fit and anything is possible. The other big thing as mentioned is your midfield, lose Alonso, which seems highly likely to happen and I feel you are losing one of your most important players and would struggle to find anyone to replace him in this market.

fecks knows who'll win it in the end, too hard to predict this year.
Yeah I get the ego thing. One of my manc "mates" said on Ronaldo leaving "I can now finally admit that he's a horrible cheat and a fecking cock". Huge miss in terms of ability tho.

It'll be interesting to see how you use Owen. He's rubbish at being in and out of the side as it takes time for him to get his sharpness up to scratch - it was infuriating when he's get niggling injuries, be out for a few weeks and then be rubbish for 5 games on his return. But if he plays regularly he'll certainly get goals (but not offer much else).

Don't know much about Valencia. One of those players whose reputation has grown whilst totally passing me by. No idea why he'd be worth £14M, but then all transfer fees this summer are daft.

Yep, agree about Torres and Alonso. Our two main risks